• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
riuXV0S.jpg

Bad End.

Opa-Pa

Finished dungeon
today and just got to (late December spoilers) the
Mementos final dungeon or whatever

My questions:
How big is this place compared to dungeon 7? Are there any more opportunities for s-links when this is done?

It's arguably the shortest dungeon in the game but the most challenging, so it might still take a while depending on your skill/difficulty level you're playing.

gun_haver

Finished dungeon
today and just got to (late December spoilers) the
Mementos final dungeon or whatever

My questions:
How big is this place compared to dungeon 7? Are there any more opportunities for s-links when this is done?

I'm halfway through it according to the first safe room check in. That took about 90 minutes. So I'd say it's y'know, dungeon sized. Apparently on the small end but that's still several hours. Loads of enemies...

And no, social links are over now as I understand it.

I'm halfway through it according to the first safe room check in. That took about 90 minutes. So I'd say it's y'know, dungeon sized. Apparently on the small end but that's still several hours. Loads of enemies...

And no, social links are over now as I understand it.

Don't place any trust in that, you're maybe a quarter done with that dungeon by the first safe room.

gun_haver

Don't place any trust in that, you're maybe a quarter done with that dungeon by the first safe room.

Yeah it hasn't been too accurate in the past. Ah well, it's okay anyway - I didn't play for a few days cos I'm pretty tired of the game, but I do want to see how it ends, so I'll just chip away at it in pieces.

Weirdly the turn the plot has taken in this last dungeon is the first time since Kamoshida I've been curious as to where it is going. I like the design of the place, the way the whole prisoner thing is actually relevant and there is a sense of foreboding which is cool. When Kamoshida showed up in the cell it was like seeing an old pal. 'Hey it's me, back from when the game held so much promise!'.

It also is reminding me a little bit of Nocturne. Dungeon feels like something out of that game and I'm pretty sure I remember the stepping on light tiles to unlock the doors being in that game too...

I'm pretty down on P5 overall but hopefully it ends at its strongest. Things are looking all right at the moment. The entire Shido arc was very boring and rough to me.

PSqueak

Banned
Yeah it hasn't been too accurate in the past. Ah well, it's okay anyway - I didn't play for a few days cos I'm pretty tired of the game, but I do want to see how it ends, so I'll just chip away at it in pieces.

Weirdly the turn the plot has taken in this last dungeon is the first time since Kamoshida I've been curious as to where it is going. I like the design of the place, the way the whole prisoner thing is actually relevant and there is a sense of foreboding which is cool. When Kamoshida showed up in the cell it was like seeing an old pal. 'Hey it's me, back from when the game held so much promise!'.

It also is reminding me a little bit of Nocturne. Dungeon feels like something out of that game and I'm pretty sure I remember the stepping on light tiles to unlock the doors being in that game too...

I'm pretty down on P5 overall but hopefully it ends at its strongest. Things are looking all right at the moment. The entire Shido arc was very boring and rough to me.

You're in for a surprise on how all ties up and how the theme falls in.

Moaradin

Finally finished it. I was disappointed with a lot of things in this game, but overall I still enjoyed it. It's just a shame that the story and most of the characters did nothing for me. I remember watching the credits for P3 and P4 and feeling completed gutted, not wanting the game to end. A shame this game didn't manage to recapture that feeling.

aly

The weird thing about Ryuji is that most people focus on the later but forget something:
Ryuji is the first one of all the phantom thieves to actually want to save people,
in fact he is the one who drags Joker back into Kamoshida's palace because he wanted to free all the "slaves", sure he didn't know they were not real people, but the point is he wanted to do what was right and save people, the fame thing just starts about in palace #3
, also his whole social link subplot is about
helping out his former team mates even tho they pretty much abandoned him after Kamoshida broke his leg.

I think people are super ready to hate Ryuji because Yosuke and Junpei were kind of assholes in P4 and P3, Ryuji was much more of a good person than them.

This is all true. That's why I like Ryuji so much as a character.

Gorillaz

The weird thing about Ryuji is that most people focus on the later but forget something:
Ryuji is the first one of all the phantom thieves to actually want to save people,
in fact he is the one who drags Joker back into Kamoshida's palace because he wanted to free all the "slaves", sure he didn't know they were not real people, but the point is he wanted to do what was right and save people, the fame thing just starts about in palace #3
, also his whole social link subplot is about
helping out his former team mates even tho they pretty much abandoned him after Kamoshida broke his leg.

I think people are super ready to hate Ryuji because Yosuke and Junpei were kind of assholes in P4 and P3, Ryuji was much more of a good person than them.

This is all true. That's why I like Ryuji so much as a character.

Agreed that's why I never fully got the hate towards Ryuji. He says and sometimes do stupid shit but his heart has always been in the right place. Guy is 100 percent in on everything.

gun_haver

Ryuji's all right. Doesn't annoy me, although nearer the start he did seem like he was going to be the heart of the team/game and then as it goes on he just kind of fades into the background except when he's angry about something. Excluding one or two notable moments, anyway.

I think people are taking what is supposed to comprise the comedic banter component of the team interactions between him and Morgana too seriously. They throw insults back and forth because that's the schtick between them, and then of course they are teammates underneath that.

September spoilers:
Morgana's little tantrum in September would've happened with or without Ryuji making a few comments, but Ryuji is highlighted cos he continues being jocular and mocking with Morgana not noticing Morgana is very sad...

He could've been a lot worse.

PSqueak

Banned
Checking my tumblr feed earlier i just remembered another Ryuji moment that people overlook, one of the random mementos banter has Yusuke saying that he doesn't have to keep a low profile because nobody talks to him anyway, Ryuji instead of mocking him instantly goes like "hey wanna hang out later?".

That man is a true bro.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I honestly felt Ann was one of my favorite Confidant stories. I loved
meeting up with Shiho again, and seeing how much Shiho clearly inspired Ann. It'd be so easy and lazy to make Shiho this sad, tragic figure, but to Ann she's the strongest person in the world. I also appreciated that the game called Ann out on taking her looks for granted in the modeling industry, and showed that being a model is actually a really difficult and competitive job. I think a lot of people unfairly dismiss the modeling aspect of her confidant because they think of modeling as frivolous and dumb, when the whole point is to show the opposite.

Ann being a model was a byproduct of her parents profession and being part American gives her a unique look to most of the models in Tokyo. That being said she's not really treated like a star or idol, she seems to be plan B at most of the photo shoots. Because of these things, and moving around a lot, she doesn't have a lot of friends other than Shiho and Ryuji to an extent. I think Ann is aware that she has sex appeal, its not been anything she's had a vested interest or control in. Thats a key part in what changes in her over the course of the game and her s link in particular. I grew to like that Ann wasn't super confident at first, she wasn't pretentious or aloof, or naturally great in school, it made her relatable in that regard.

Kieli

P4 was kinda slow to start (~2 hours before they give you freedom).

But P5 takes it to a whole new level. It's been 5 hours and I'm still being guided through each day.... Wow.

Hmm. The Mementos Boss money thing is definitely at least partially deliberate.
The paired high confuse bosses have one that only ever throws 1 yen.
. Though the extent it's been refined to may not have been.

Also found another reason to use Sandman ,
Feck the Succubus in Futuba's mission and it's endless lullaby spamming and her incubus partner with dream needle

What is this opinion

Wrong.

k but we all can agree that mishima is the w o r s t

Remove all Mishima bullying.
He was just as much of a victim as everyone else, except that you never get a chance to actually be his friend, and instead you just make him worse and worse until he wakes the fuck up and develops on his own without your help. No personas, no friends, no magical protag dicking. Nothing.

Mishima is a low-key badass.

Ferrio

Banned
December/Late Game Mementos question

I'm clear of Mementos quests right now with like 18 days to go until the deadline for palace 7. Is there any more chances for doing the Mementos confuse trick or have I past them all? I don't wanna go too crazy with my money if that's the case.

Opa-Pa

December/Late Game Mementos question

I'm clear of Mementos quests right now with like 18 days to go until the deadline for palace 7. Is there any more chances for doing the Mementos confuse trick or have I past them all? I don't wanna go too crazy with my money if that's the case.

Have you fought Mara as a boss there yet? I think his quest is available post Palace 7 and I'm pretty sure he can be confused. That and you may still have some confidant-related quests with useful bosses in them.

Ferrio

Banned
Have you fought Mara as a boss there yet? I think his quest is available post Palace 7 and I'm pretty sure he can be confused. That and you may still have some confidant-related quests with useful bosses in them.

No I haven't, good to know there's atleast one left.

daveo42

Banned
Man...this game absolutely floored me. I've played it to completion twice and I feel like going back again. I don't want the ride to end. I don't...

Opa-Pa

... It just hit me that the name change from Pyro Jack to Jack o Lantern was probably a localization mistake in the sense that they didn't care about consistency with past games rather than Atlus correcting a traditionally inaccuracy name lmao.

I mean I was playing P3P the other day and surely yakisoba bread was called as such, and not yakisoba pan.

PK Gaming

... It just hit me that the name change from Pyro Jack to Jack o Lantern was probably a localization mistake in the sense that they didn't care about consistency with past games rather than Atlus correcting a traditionally inaccuracy name lmao.

I mean I was playing P3P the other day and surely yakisoba bread was called as such, and not yakisoba pan.

I was wondering why a bunch of users were calling Power Charge and Mind Charge, Charge and Concentrate respectively.

Sad revelation :(

Gbraga

I try to avoid giving too many joke answers on my first playthrough, but the moment I saw "Ryuji's a Phantom Thief", I didn't even think twice.

duckroll

I don't think it's quite that simple. I think it's two-fold. Firstly, Jack O Lantern probably really didn't fit back in PS2 days due to text limits. Secondly, I honestly feel with so many changes and quirks in P5, it feels like Atlus is treating this as a fresh start to rename anything they can to a new "preferred" standard. Whether that standard is influenced by mandates from the Japanese side is another matter altogether.

Opa-Pa

Right, at first I simply assumed it was just Atlus USA deliberately giving him his "correct" name at long last, since Pyro Jack was most likely just a byproduct of strict character limits in older games, like "Nyalatotep" in Devil Survivor. I also believed that given that this is probably Atlus most 'mainstream' game ever in the west, they were treating it as a soft reboot for Megaten as far as skill and demon naming consistency goes.

But after finding so many localization errors and inconsistencies with past games, I can't help but wonder how many of these changes were truly deliberate and which were simply more oversights of a flawed localization. Pyro Jack in particular was very weird to me because inaccurate or not, he's such a recognizable demon in the series that it was obviously going to confuse many fans and IMO the change isn't worth it.

Then again, I could be completely off but it sucks that we'll probably never know for sure.

Anybody with the JP version know why Jack frost is the same name for both Black Frost and Jack Frost?

It says ジャックフロスト for both Personas.

PK Gaming

Right, at first I simply assumed it was just Atlus USA deliberately giving him his "correct" name at long last, since Pyro Jack was most likely just a byproduct of strict character limits in older games, like "Nyalatotep" in Devil Survivor. I also believed that given that this is probably Atlus most 'mainstream' game ever in the west, they were treating it as a soft reboot for Megaten as far as skill and demon naming consistency goes.

But after finding so many localization errors and inconsistencies with past games, I can't help but wonder how many of these changes were truly deliberate and which were simply more oversights of a flawed localization. Pyro Jack in particular was very weird to me because inaccurate or not, he's such a recognizable demon in the series that it was obviously going to confuse many fans and IMO the change isn't worth it.

Then again, I could be completely off but it sucks that we'll probably never know for sure.

You can find it with other demons too.

Bugbear is "Bugs" for some bizarre reason. The lack of consistency is noticeable.

vypek

this shadow gets it..

Lol never saw that.

I wish I could take screenshots. I took a picture on my phone instead but it doesn't look as good. I had a result screen where every single character leveled up as well as about 6 personas. Somehow feels like an accomplishment

duckroll

Anybody with the JP version know why Jack frost is the same name for both Black Frost and Jack Frost?

It says ジャックフロスト for both Personas.

No. Jack Frost is ジャックフロスト, Black Frost is ジャアクフロスト. It's a pun. Jyaaku is "evil" and sounds like Jyakku which is "Jack".

-Horizon-

133 hours on normal
At least 10 of that was me leaving the game on and not putting it in rest mode.
Level 89 (didn't want to pay too much for special summons at the end that I wanted but were out of my level range so I grinded a bit before the final boss) so I was probably way over leveled but whatever
Maxed out all social stats
Including the mandatory confidants, I maxed out 14 of them.
Highest level persona was lucifer at 99
Compendium at somewhere over 80%

Also: Ann + Hecate + blazing hell + concentrate + fire amp = everything melted like butter

I really liked the game. Though because I didn't max everyone out it felt like the ending scenes were really empty because the characters were skipped over.

I'll probably play ng+ in the future just to get all these loose ends.
But not soon. I need time to rest from that journey.

Also, someone pleas explain to me the ending where Sae
had Joker turner himself in at the end and they listed his charges but because they got that witness from the shido incident at the beginning of the game to testify they let joker go
? What?

And Sae should've been romanceable. She's the better sister. There I said it.

Top Bottom