• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Well, finished my first Persona game last night.

I'm now a fan. Time to go back to P4, which I had hard time getting into but now that I can see how great these can end up being I'll keep on keeping on with it.

Absolutely loved the story and characters here. It's pretty convoluted so I'm not sure how many plot holes there could be, but I really enjoyed how it unfolded nonetheless.

Zesh

Severe fire, ice, and wind skills can be inherited. Severe thunder skills can't. FYI to save anyone else time/effort. I wasted some not knowing that.

Are you sure that this isn't just because the specific persona you were using couldn't inherit thunder skills? I'm pretty sure that not every persona can learn every skill; some are incompatible.

Cat

Are you sure that this isn't just because the specific persona you were using couldn't inherit thunder skills? I'm pretty sure that not every persona can learn every skill; some are incompatible.

That occurred to me too, so I tried it with Yoshitsune, who I know had Ziodyne before I took it off, and he could not inherit either of them.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The fact that this isn't already a DLC set is outrageous. Digital Devil Saga and SMT1 costumes would have been awesome as well.

Also miss a lot of the fun ones from P4G like the Featherman, The Velvet Room attendants and wish he had an Akira as Sojiro costume a la Yu as Dojima.

Yeah, I knew as soon as I saw costume DLC we likely wouldn't be getting the shit ton of costumes we got in P4G lol. Huge shame, but not getting DDS and SMT3 costumes is also sad. ESPECIALLY SINCE WE GOT RAIDOU FOR SOME REASON?

Took me 130 and I didn't feel like I was taking my time. I didn't grind too much apart from a handful of Mementos excursions so when I see clear times of like 80 I'm like damn son.

ckohler

Took me 130 and I didn't feel like I was taking my time. I didn't grind too much apart from a handful of Mementos excursions so when I see clear times of like 80 I'm like damn son.

I don't get it either. Maybe people are just spamming through dialog, not listening. :(

Finished up palace
and just after, what the hell game:
Mishima sends me the Mementos door boss quest, Morgana has another nightmare, you're practically screaming at me to go into Mementos and the door is still fucking locked!? I've been doing exactly one run per dungeon and now it's messed up, could have spent that time raising confidants I actually cared about. At least I can progress Ohya or Hifumi now I guess.

Also Temperance rank 10 question:
Kawakami showed up as a grayed out UP!! on the map the previous night but she wasn't answering the phone nor anywhere to be found in the area. I haven't been alerted to any quest or Stat req, is it story locked now (given we can't go to school and she quit)?

You need a normal school day at 3 points in her S-Link,
Establishing, to get her mission,
and between 9 and 10. If you don't have her maxed before Palace 6 fallout you're out of luck.

Cat

That occurred to me too, so I tried it with Yoshitsune, who I know had Ziodyne before I took it off, and he could not inherit either of them.

Okay, I found one that can do it. Raja Naga. I'll do more trial and error.

Edit-I must have messed up whatever I tested with Yoshitsune. It's compatible with others on my list, just not two in particular. One I was trying and another to see if the skills genuinely could not be inherited.

Yeah, I knew as soon as I saw costume DLC we likely wouldn't be getting the shit ton of costumes we got in P4G lol. Huge shame, but not getting DDS and SMT3 costumes is also sad. ESPECIALLY SINCE WE GOT RAIDOU FOR SOME REASON?

As much as I adore Raidou, it makes no sense we got that over SMTIII and DDS. I hope they add more down the road but that ship has long sailed, I'm sure.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Would the SMT 1 costumes be cyberpunk as fuck?

Yes!! Dude I would love it if the added animations for them that made them hold their hands up to the arm comps when calling personas instead of touching their masks.

As much as I adore Raidou, it makes no sense we got that over SMTIII and DDS. I hope they add more down the road but that ship has long sailed, I'm sure.

Seriously it's bizarre, I loved soulless army but I feel like the number of people who have even seen gameplay of these games has to be less than a quarter of the people who bought P5.

Edit-I must have messed up whatever I tested with Yoshitsune. It's compatible with others on my list, just not two in particular. One I was trying and another to see if the skills genuinely could not be inherited.

You can see what is capable of being inherited on the fusion screen by using the R1 / L1 buttons to page to the component but they don't tell you why unfortunately. They really should make the inheritance type explicit since it's hard to tell a lot of the time because natural skills frequently don't reflect it. The types are also often hilariously unbalanced in utility of inheritance (Physical​s cop it hard).

My best guess is that despite learning Ziodyne, Yoshitsune is classified as a physical persona first, which means it can't inherit severe level magic. Obviously though, I'm way off base if he could learn other severe elemental skills, just not electric.

Gojeran

I finished in 101 hours and I read everything. First Persona game so I fucked up time management badly lol. Only got like 5 maxed Slink and missed one entirely.

Nothus

Uhhhh...yeah. About that...

You can recover HP/SP by talking to Caroline or Lavenza by the velvet room door within the Mememtos Depths/Shibuya. Teleport back save rooms or just outside the final boss to recover, depending on how far you are in. If anything, the last five hours are a breeze because of it.

What the hell lol. Why not make it a bit more obvious? All the way through it I was just cursing myself for not
growing a shit load more vegetables and brewing more coffee

Nothus's challenge run of the
the final dungeon with no healing.
Must have been hell to do!

Yeah it wasn't fun lol. Basically I had to
keep using those weird stew things you can buy from the shopping channel that give you 30% SP back but lower your stats at the same time. So at the start of a fight I would have to waste a couple of turns just spamming these items to top up everyone's SP and then use another item to remove everyone's debuffs. Fucking infuriating!

Cat

My best guess is that despite learning Ziodyne, Yoshitsune is classified as a physical persona first, which means it can't inherit severe level magic. Obviously though, I'm way off base if he could learn other severe elemental skills, just not electric.

I think you're right. I was able to put a heavy electric skill on the persona I had in mind, which is a physical persona too. It didn't really register with me that it was a physical persona foremost because it had Garu and was so low level. All the other personas I put severe magic skills on were at least magic-based.

Is it me or is the Life Aid skill mistranslated in its name ? Usually the skill Life Aid heals a % of HP after battle, this skill is the one they usually call Cool Breeze (restores some SP / HP).

Xeilyn

Finished the game at 109 hours. What a ride, one of the best games ive ever played. Overall i enjoyed Persona 4 more but its definitely a close second.

Is it me or is the Life Aid skill mistranslated in its name ? Usually the skill Life Aid heals a % of HP after battle, this skill is the one they usually call Cool Breeze (restores some SP / HP).

Maybe, but I think it's more likely that they reassessed a lot of SMT and Persona nomenclature with P5. Hence stuff like Pyro Jack changing names to Jack-o'-Lantern, and some skills having minor name edits (God Hand is now God's Hand). Another possibility is that the Japanese release changed things up, and Life Aid is like Cool Breeze because of that.

Zafir

What the hell lol. Why not make it a bit more obvious? All the way through it I was just cursing myself for not
growing a shit load more vegetables and brewing more coffee
Yeah I'm surprised it wasn't made more obvious, like a forced dialogue of them calling you over or something. On my first play through I completely missed Caroline (12/24 spoils)
healing you in Mementos Depths. I mean, the thing is she's usually stood outside the door, so her being there isn't really an anomaly.
I did realise
Lavenza heals you though, since I think I just talked to her to see what she said.

Kieli

I'm in the second
palace and have gone through two stages of mementos. Playing on regular difficulty, but it hasn't been very challenging. I remember P3 and P4 kicking my ass until I got the powerful Persona mid-game.

Well, finished, finally, at about 110 hours. I don't think I'm spoiling anything in this game, other than a few character names, perhaps the number of palaces, and a few months that I found questionable. I'll spoiler it anyway, but I really think there's nothing spoiler-y in my thoughts:

Of the modern Persona games, this is my least favorite despite some great leaps forward in quality of life. The battle changes of having an assist mode where you don't need to fumble with finding weakness for past encounters, experience share between active and passive teammates, the ability to switch teammates in and out of battle, and so on, are great. This is the most I've enjoyed combat in a Persona game.

And, that extends to the Palaces. I love the unique look and layout of each one. I like the sneaking elements. Other than Palace 5, which I hated due to the door puzzles and the backtracking, every Palace is better than anything in the previous games. In fact, the unique layouts, locations, and feel of the Palaces remind me of the dungeons in Persona 2. Yes, some of the Palaces were too long, but that was ok for me. No Palace took more than 4 hours to beat in a sitting (I think?) even though some felt like they took a lot longer.

Even fusioning is great. The ability to select which skills carry over, fusing by result, strengthening, and so on make getting the persona I want easier than ever. Yes, rolling for strengthening can be a pain if you are trying to cheese the system, but that seems like an ok penalty when everything else is better. I never really did that much network stuff or lockdown, but my brief moments with those new additions were interesting.

However, the story and characters are a real weak point. The entire cast doesn't change that much, and the dynamic between them all never felt as close as those in Persona 4. Maybe this can be attributed to the fact that two characters didn't attend the same school, but Ann is bland and Haru acts as a waif and Makoto oscillates between one of the more interesting ones to being a second-hand Mitsuru from Persona 3. Honestly, of the cast, Ryuji ended up being my favorite, not because I liked him, but because he had a personality (grating as it could be at times) that grew throughout the game. Morgana seemed like the biggest waste. All that fawning over a certain character in the beginning of the game never paid off, and he/she isn't as memorable as Teddy (as polarizing as he may be).

And when it comes to the side characters, there's not many of the confidants I'd consider to be better or equal to the ones in P3 and P4. Not to say those games had unanimously amazing S.Links (I remember next to nothing about the single mother or the old lady in Persona 4), but everything felt much more subdued here. I remember fairly well Kenji, Hidetoshi, Nozumi, and Tanaka from Persona 3 even though it's been like eight years since I played that game only once. And, I feel like a lot of the ones in P5 remind me of ones from the past. I may make the thread, or if someone has already done so, let me know the results, but if I had to make a list of the top 10 Persona confidants or S.Links, I don't know if I'd have any from Persona 5.

With the central story, I went from genuine interest to kind of apathy fairly quickly. With the central conceit being the bad guys and their confessions, I only cared about... 3 of them? The first, the fifth, and the seventh. The way the game robs you of time is also infuriating. Suddenly characters won't want to hang out with you because it is too close to a deadline when they were fine doing it before, and then there's the days and days of automatic story progression where I'm doing nothing except pressing the X button; I know Persona 4 had a slow start, but it was mainly just the start. I really feel like I want through most of the month of October doing nothing, making no choices, and just progressing the story.

So then, with the side stories and excursions, I'm already forgetting most of this game. Let's see... there was the trip to the buffet (good), the tv station (bad), the beach (bad), and what else? This is one of the things I love most about Persona 4 because these trips were fun, memorable, and allowed the cast to bounce off one another. In Persona 5, a lot of these interactions are relegated to the text messages where everyone must wait their turn and chime in sequentially so that no player's favorite character is speechless. It's also where Yusuke got to shine (good) and Makoto became a bland exposition dump (bad).

Finally, the turn of a major character was obvious throughout the game and didn't surprise me (and retroactively make a lot of sense) like the sudden reveal of the bad guy in Persona 4. In fact, most of the story in October/November kind of flung itself off the rails. Persona 3 and Persona 4 never made me go "wait, what? huh?" like this game did.

It's a shame. There's so many improvements to everything. The Palaces and Mementos combine the best of Persona 2, 3, and 4 dungeons. The style, menus, fast travel, assists, and all the little details are amazing; the game looks beautiful (minus the anime cutscenes that feel archaic at this point). Yet, the story is a real bummer, the characters moreso, and when I think of what I love in these Persona games, it's those things more than the look and play and sound (I also think the soundtrack is a step back from P4, but better than some of P3).
The ending of Persona 3 made me sad in a good way. The ending of Persona 4 made me miss a future with the characters. The ending to this makes me kind of shrug. I don't feel freedom. I don't feel elation. I don't feel angry or sad. I don't feel much of anything.

JBwB

Yeah I'm surprised it wasn't made more obvious, like a forced dialogue of them calling you over or something. On my first play through I completely missed Caroline (12/24 spoils)
healing you in Mementos Depths. I mean, the thing is she's usually stood outside the door, so her being there isn't really an anomaly.
I did realise
Lavenza heals you though, since I think I just talked to her to see what she said.

Did you guys not find it odd that
both twins were hanging outside the Velvet room door in the Depths? Usually only one of them is there in the other palaces / reality.

I dunno it just seemed pretty obvious to me that Caroline was there for a reason.

darknil

Ok, I just finished the second palace, wanted to unlock Temperance but I don't have the guts yet.

I came from playing Persona 4 Golden (even doing a 100% run), I wanted to go blind on this one (only noting what were the best confidants) and I'm really struggling managing my time.

Thankfully the game is kind of forgiving (for example keeping unbought things on vending machines if you miss that one over the week).

Any tips? for June - July? I'm going for the Death confidant everytime I get the chance to increase the SL.

I feel I'm always playing catchup on my social stats, and I don't even know when I'm suppoused to increase my knowledge or going to Mementos. This is life-like.

Lunar15

Ok, I just finished the second palace, wanted to unlock Temperance but I don't have the guts yet.

I came from playing Persona 4 Golden (even doing a 100% run), I wanted to go blind on this one (only noting what were the best confidants) and I'm really struggling managing my time.

Thankfully the game is kind of forgiving (for example keeping unbought things on vending machines if you miss that one over the week).

Any tips? for June - July? I'm going for the Death confidant everytime I get the chance to increase the SL.

I feel I'm always playing catchup on my social stats, and I don't even know when I'm suppoused to increase my knowledge or going to Mementos. This is life-like.

I usually only went to mementos once per dungeon. Just rack up requests and knock out as many as you can in one go. Overall, the game's massively lenient, especially later game. Once you unlock the Fortune arcana confidant, you can pay to level up confidants, it's very helpful.

HeelPower

27 hours in ,and it felt like a breeze.

This game is just mind blowing. They're masters of pacing ,and know exactly when to give you options and when to narrow down the game's focus to forward events.

wow!

Opa-Pa

All the DLC we got is either from games from the Persona timeline or relatively recent Atlus games (Catherine and SMT IV).

Tamaki, the female protagonist in SMT If... Is a character in Persona 2, and she works at the Kuzunoha Detective Agency. I don't think the events in the Devil Summoner series take place in the same timeline as Persona, but the games are constantly referenced (the aforementioned office has a remix of the Devil Summoner office music), and Raidou is arguably the most recognizable out of the three DS protagonists.

Not that I wouldn't love Nocturne costumes though, but yeah they're not that random.

JBwB

Err did I fuck up starting a romance with Tae? I just got Rank 10 but it didn't lead to a romance scene. I swear I picked the right option during Rank 9.

The game clearly states when you've started a romantic relationship with someone. If that didn't appear during the rank 9 scene then you'll have to reload back to that point.

You can also check the info screen for Tae in the confidant section. It should state whether or not you're in a relationship with her.

However, the story and characters are a real weak point. The entire cast doesn't change that much, and the dynamic between them all never felt as close as those in Persona 4. Maybe this can be attributed to the fact that two characters didn't attend the same school, but Ann is bland and Haru acts as a waif and Makoto oscillates between one of the more interesting ones to being a second-hand Mitsuru from Persona 3. Honestly, of the cast, Ryuji ended up being my favorite, not because I liked him, but because he had a personality (grating as it could be at times) that grew throughout the game. Morgana seemed like the biggest waste. All that fawning over a certain character in the beginning of the game never paid off, and he/she isn't as memorable as Teddy (as polarizing as he may be).

And when it comes to the side characters, there's not many of the confidants I'd consider to be better or equal to the ones in P3 and P4. Not to say those games had unanimously amazing S.Links (I remember next to nothing about the single mother or the old lady in Persona 4), but everything felt much more subdued here. I remember fairly well Kenji, Hidetoshi, Nozumi, and Tanaka from Persona 3 even though it's been like eight years since I played that game only once. And, I feel like a lot of the ones in P5 remind me of ones from the past. I may make the thread, or if someone has already done so, let me know the results, but if I had to make a list of the top 10 Persona confidants or S.Links, I don't know if I'd have any from Persona 5.

My biggest problem with a lot of the characters was that none of them seemed to be written with much personality. I agree that Ryuji stood out as being one of the better characters, and I think it's because he had a distinctive way of talking without dipping into caricature ("effin'" things aside). Max Mittelman added a lot too, because he had some pretty interesting ways of reading relatively unassuming lines. Take his response to a teacher here, right near the start of the game: April spoilers I guess?

Heh, I just realised they snuck in a stealth lock on Yoshi this time, since he requested the ultimate Magician Persona which is completely story gated. Well played Atlus, well played.

ETA - Poor Chi You gets caught in it too since he requires Yoshi.

Kindekuma

Banned
Completed the game today. 102 hours, 47 minutes. Level 73, 15 Confidants maxed, 4 social stats maxed (guts being rank 4), 68% of the compendium finished. Oh and most importantly
I chose to date Makoto

Fantastic game, oh my god. The story, combat, music my GOD the music, style, characters, just everything was so well done.

The game clearly states when you've started a romantic relationship with someone. If that didn't appear during the rank 9 scene then you'll have to reload back to that point.

You can also check the info screen for Tae in the confidant section. It should state whether or not you're in a relationship with her.

Well shit. Having only one save file has finally screwed me. Guess I gotta find a new waifu.

Opa-Pa

Completed the game today. 102 hours, 47 minutes. Level 73, 15 Confidants maxed, 4 social stats maxed (guts being rank 4), 68% of the compendium finished. Oh and most importantly
I chose to date Makoto

Fantastic game, oh my god. The story, combat, music my GOD the music, style, characters, just everything was so well done.

Just curious, was this your first Persona game? Either way, congrats! It really is a great game.

Well shit. Having only one save file has finally screwed me. Guess I gotta find a new waifu.

God is giving you a second chance.

Balphon

Err did I fuck up starting a romance with Tae? I just got Rank 10 but it didn't lead to a romance scene. I swear I picked the right option during Rank 9.

Romances with the adult confidants all require you to give correct answers in places prior to rank 9.

If it's not available then, you didn't give the correct answers earlier.

Romances with the adult confidants all require you to give correct answers in places prior to rank 9.

If it's not available then, you didn't give the correct answers earlier.

I'm pretty sure Tae's is not giving an incorrect answer at one point, I didn't give the commonly agreed answer and still got the lovers option, so I think it's not giving the incorrect answer there , rather than the correct one.

Top Bottom