• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

JSub11

Noob question - do you have to equip a persona to have its passive skills active (e.g. Auto attack up, resistance to elemental) or can I simply have the persona in one of my 12 slots (unselected)?

Thanks!

Kyuur

Finished up palace
and just after, what the hell game:
Mishima sends me the Mementos door boss quest, Morgana has another nightmare, you're practically screaming at me to go into Mementos and the door is still fucking locked!? I've been doing exactly one run per dungeon and now it's messed up, could have spent that time raising confidants I actually cared about. At least I can progress Ohya or Hifumi now I guess.

Also Temperance rank 10 question:
Kawakami showed up as a grayed out UP!! on the map the previous night but she wasn't answering the phone nor anywhere to be found in the area. I haven't been alerted to any quest or Stat req, is it story locked now (given we can't go to school and she quit)?

Lunar15

Those are the lyrics​? Lol. The last few events drastically improved my opinion of P5. So well done.

I think the game sags in September but I thoroughly enjoyed everything from the end of Palace 5 onward. The setup of Palace 5 and the dungeon itself just aren't satisfying.

I can't get

"DOES THAT SEXY
GOWN SAY WHAT SHE
HAS IN STORE FOR HER MAN?"

Out of my head lmao

GIVE IN TO TEMPTATIOOOOOOOOOON

I think it's just because there's loads of story stuff around that part. (September/October spoilers)
You have all the scenes helping Futaba, then you have the trip to Hawaii, then you have Morgana's existential crisis and Haru joining.
Combine that with the way Persona 5 deals with story sections, wherein they don't even let you have evenings or anything to break it up, I could see people being a tad annoyed at it all.

Honestly I'm like you in that I find the early months more annoying, where you're entirely limited in what you can do.

Okay, I forgot about how much September stuff there was too, I get that. I still enjoyed it but by that point I was also in the mood to like whatever the game was giving me.

LiK

80 hours in and I just went into the 5th palace for the very first time.

I feel like I've taken things quite slow?

hztcnioeanhhk0hpny2r.gif

_Isaac

Just started this. I got this game as a gift. It's my first Persona game, so some things are a tiny but overwhelming, and it's surprisingly difficult (I am on normal). I am about ten hours in, and I haven't been able to pass the first palace. I have two days left. Pray for me. 😑

Eylos

Banned
Just started this. I got this game as a gift. It's my first Persona game, so some things are a tiny but overwhelming, and it's surprisingly difficult (I am on normal). I am about ten hours in, and I haven't been able to pass the first palace. I have two days left. Pray for me. 😑

Always exploit weakness, and play on easy If its hard

Quonny

Play on easy. No shame.

Soriku

Well I'm playing on Hard but the first dungeon has definitely still been the hardest so far (just beat Palace 3). And it just felt really long. Just keep at it.

As a side note I hate how fast enemies can chase you after being caught and they have infinite stamina to boot :x

Eylos

Banned
Yeah that's what I have been trying to do. I just run out of SP so quickly because of it. D:

I just might, but I think I'll try it on normal a little while longer.

Try to end easy Battles without using sp, and escape from Battles that you know Will use a lot of sp, and use heal itens instead of skills

Bluecondor

If you have two days left, when you go to the palace again, be sure to create a new save file in another slot and use the new save file. This way, if you do end up putting yourself in a bad situation, you can go back to the old save and not have to completely restart the game again.

Like others have said, you can also drop the difficulty down to easy until you finish the palace. The nice thing about easy is that the damage you take is cut in half, which lessens the likelihood of your entire party getting wiped out in one shot by an enemy way above your level.

aceface

If you have two days left, when you go to the palace again, be sure to create a new save file in another slot and use the new save file. This way, if you do end up putting yourself in a bad situation, you can go back to the old save and not have to completely restart the game again.

Like others have said, you can also drop the difficulty down to easy until you finish the palace. The nice thing about easy is that the damage you take is cut in half, which lessens the likelihood of your entire party getting wiped out in one shot by an enemy way above your level.

Does Persona 5 do a thing like Persona 4 where it rewinds you two weeks or whatever if you fail?

Bluecondor

Does Persona 5 do a thing like Persona 4 where it rewinds you two weeks or whatever if you fail?

I haven't seen or heard anything on a rewind feature.

It's just that some people who only used one save slot have put themselves in a bad spot with the first palace by not giving themselves enough time to finish it. With one save slot, you can dig yourself into a hole that you can't get out of in time to finish the palace.

Guess Who

Banned
Yes, if you miss a palace deadline, the game lets you rewind one week. You cannot put yourself in a situation where you have to start the whole game over.

Bluecondor

Yes, if you miss a palace deadline, the game lets you rewind one week. You cannot put yourself in a situation where you have to start the whole game over.

Oh - you can rewind? That's good to know. I haven't had it happen yet, as I always try and do the palaces right away. I went down to the wire though on the first palace.

MoonFrog

Also get the option when you die to a palace boss, although I think the amount of rewind changes. Remember it being a week when I died to Kamoshida and like 2 days on some other bosses. Never took that option, but it is there.

Oh - you can rewind? That's good to know. I haven't had it happen yet, as I always try and do the palaces right away. I went down to the wire though on the first palace.

It can be funny doing the palace early. Like having
Futaba out cold for 3 weeks or so.
(Palace 4)

Staab

Bought the game early this week, JP voices loaded and free costume sets are a "go".
Just finished the second palace, boss fight done in one go but had to revive a few times, tricky !

Love it so far (about 25hours in), but feel like the days are cut short a lot somehow, like how entering a dungeon deletes the evening options and all the events soaking up days without you being able to do anything.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Bought the game early this week, JP voices loaded and free costume sets are a "go".
Just finished the second palace, boss fight done in one go but had to revive a few times, tricky !

Love it so far (about 25hours in), but feel like the days are cut short a lot somehow, like how entering a dungeon deletes the evening options and all the events soaking up days without you being able to do anything.

The games designed around you not having free time everyday. You'll also get confidants who give you more time later on.

Eylos

Banned

Lvl 10 kawakami ability of her SLink
you can do dungeons and the evening options.

I have put on spoilers even If I dont think its one, its Just the description of the ability

Nothus

My god the last 5-10 hours of this game are brutal.

From the beginning of the Mementos palace, then all the way through those 'guardian angel' boss fights, and then the final boss itself. The game makes you do all of that without ever getting the chance to take a rest and restore everyone's HP/SP. There are barely any save points, none at all in between all of those angel mini bosses.
I hardly had any SP recovery items on me for the whole of this segment, it was ridiculous. It completely drained all of the fun out of the combat for me because literally every move I made was rationing my SP out. It just felt so much more brutal than the rest of the game.
In all honesty it's taken the shine off the whole game for me, which is a damn shame. I've loved everything about it right up until this last bit. I'll still happily recommend this game to someone, but it will come with the caveat that the last 5 hours are fucking shit.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

From the beginning of the Mementos palace, then all the way through those 'guardian angel' boss fights, and then the final boss itself. The game makes you do all of that without ever getting the chance to take a rest and restore everyone's HP/SP. There are barely any save points, none at all in between all of those angel mini bosses.
I hardly had any SP recovery items on me for the whole of this segment, it was ridiculous. It completely drained all of the fun out of the combat for me because literally every move I made was rationing my SP out. It just felt so much more brutal than the rest of the game.
In all honesty it's taken the shine off the whole game for me, which is a damn shame. I've loved everything about it right up until this last bit. I'll still happily recommend this game to someone, but it will come with the caveat that the last 5 hours are fucking shit.

The twins fully restore your sp and hp when you talk to them.

Uhhhh...yeah. About that...

You can recover HP/SP by talking to Caroline or Lavenza by the velvet room door within the Mememtos Depths/Shibuya. Teleport back save rooms or just outside the final boss to recover, depending on how far you are in. If anything, the last five hours are a breeze because of it.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Reminds me of that Bloodborne (I believe) review that talked about the game being too hard, and then a few hours later getting updated with something like "Oh I discovered you could level up"

I suddenly really want SMT nocturne costumes where everyone gets demi fiend tattoos and the battle theme is replaced with the fierce battle theme

https://youtu.be/qO6LWQhvzRw

The fact that this isn't already a DLC set is outrageous. Digital Devil Saga and SMT1 costumes would have been awesome as well.

Also miss a lot of the fun ones from P4G like the Featherman, The Velvet Room attendants and wish he had an Akira as Sojiro costume a la Yu as Dojima.

Cat

Severe fire, ice, and wind skills can be inherited. Severe thunder skills can't. FYI to save anyone else time/effort. I wasted some not knowing that.

Top Bottom