• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Kindekuma

Banned
Oh nice. I was just wondering because impressions like yours have been kinda rare among fans haha. I agree with you completely though, I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did!

Well I have my fair share of criticisms, but overall the quality of the game in general is very high.

Balphon

I'm pretty sure Tae's is not giving an incorrect answer at one point, I didn't give the commonly agreed answer and still got the lovers option, so I think it's not giving the incorrect answer there , rather than the correct one.

From what I've seen Devil and Death have multiple inflection points but you only have to get one of them right.

Temperance only has one point, and Fortune has two that both have to be right.

Though I think in most cases they're also the most optimal responses points-wise.

Just went to
Shinjuku
for the first time. Had no idea the game also takes place there, can't wait to go back and check it out properly.
Curious to see what the
fortune teller
does.

PK Gaming

My biggest problem with a lot of the characters was that none of them seemed to be written with much personality. I agree that Ryuji stood out as being one of the better characters, and I think it's because he had a distinctive way of talking without dipping into caricature ("effin'" things aside). Max Mittelman added a lot too, because he had some pretty interesting ways of reading relatively unassuming lines. Take his response to a teacher here, right near the start of the game: April spoilers I guess?

I wouldn't really say it's an issue of personality, but rather the characters being written to be more grounded when compared to the previous Persona casts. For example, characters like Mitsuru and Haru are just light-years apart from each other in terms of characterization, despite seemingly having the same set up. The game is also ultra focused on the main narrative, so the main cast is pretty much always focused on the cause. There aren't many moments where they're allowed to just relax and let go like in Persona 4's various events.

May I suggest:

Persona 5 |OT3| Ryuji Did Nothing Wr- [DELETED BY ADMIN]

Go with this one!

That feeling when Caroline calls Metatron "Not Terrible but not Impressive". Come on, what does it take to impress you ? I'm calling forth something that's like in the top 10 most powerful beings in your fricking Multiverse.

Also the Absorb / Repel Skill learns are sort of messed up in this. Persona often learn the opposite skill to their natural one which is if anything even more useless since it makes it harder to keep track of.

I wouldn't really say it's an issue of personality, but rather the characters being written to be more grounded when compared to the previous Persona casts. For example, characters like Mitsuru and Haru are just light-years apart from each other in terms of characterization, despite seemingly having the same set up. The game is also ultra focused on the main narrative, so the main cast is pretty much always focused on the cause. There aren't many moments where they're allowed to just relax and let go like in Persona 4's various events.

I'm not really referring to moments where they can just go and relax as teenagers, though. I was actually thinking of how they behave in the main narrative, rather than in their separate confidant stories. Even in something as simple as a reacting to something happening, they all gave pretty... similar answers, I guess? I don't think the solution is having Yusuke respond to everything with "art this" and "art that," but I felt something was missing there.

I think it ties into a larger complaint I had with the writing, and that was its focus on emphasizing "Concepts" rather than portraying how characters themselves would react to something. (general game spoilers)
Best example I can give is the overuse of the phrase cognition. Doing it the way they did made it abundantly clear that the idea of "cognition" was important to the game's message, but doing so removed a character's voice from what they were saying. I felt like I was going crazy because it felt like no one would just say something along the lines of, "You're looking at it all wrong!" Instead, it would always be something like, "Their cognition is distorted!"

I really liked the characters themselves though, when they got to act more like actual characters. Your example of Haru is perfect, and why I know the game was capable of more. Despite being to similar in concept to Mitsuru, Haru was much more believable, and as a consequence, much more interesting. Her confidant was probably one of my favourite, because she showed different sides to her personality while staying consistent and realisitic the whole time.

Jintor

C_WssebVYAAxBe7.jpg

D O P E

Maxed Death and rank 9 on Chariot. Idk why people dislike Ryuji, my favourite SL story thus far.
One more rank on Fortune for affinity reading.

cj_iwakura

Maxed Death and rank 9 on Chariot. Idk why people dislike Ryuji, my favourite SL story thus far.
One more rank on Fortune for affinity reading.

Me neither. Maybe it's that early 'jerk teenage guy with bottomless libido' impression. (Which to be fair does make him look like a tool)

I think he's way better overall than Yosuke and Junpei, he feels like he has the most natural friendship with the MC.

Though credit given, all of the social links in P5 have been enjoyable. Not a one felt boring or tedious, I liked all the characters.

I wonder how people who don't get the in joke fusions go with them since they don't even appear blacked out in the compendium.

Rangda and Barong mention each other so people might try that, though the outcome is super weird. Ditto Shiva and Parvati, though with a saner outcome.

You get a clue Alice exists because she's the Death Ultimate but there's no clue to her fusion method and it seems unlikely you'd randomly carry those two Persona together since they are the same Arcana.

PK Gaming

I'm not really referring to moments where they can just go and relax as teenagers, though. I was actually thinking of how they behave in the main narrative, rather than in their separate confidant stories. Even in something as simple as a reacting to something happening, they all gave pretty... similar answers, I guess? I don't think the solution is having Yusuke respond to everything with "art this" and "art that," but I felt something was missing there.

I think it ties into a larger complaint I had with the writing, and that was its focus on emphasizing "Concepts" rather than portraying how characters themselves would react to something. (general game spoilers)
Best example I can give is the overuse of the phrase cognition. Doing it the way they did made it abundantly clear that the idea of "cognition" was important to the game's message, but doing so removed a character's voice from what they were saying. I felt like I was going crazy because it felt like no one would just say something along the lines of, "You're looking at it all wrong!" Instead, it would always be something like, "Their cognition is distorted!"

I really liked the characters themselves though, when they got to act more like actual characters. Your example of Haru is perfect, and why I know the game was capable of more. Despite being to similar in concept to Mitsuru, Haru was much more believable, and as a consequence, much more interesting. Her confidant was probably one of my favourite, because she showed different sides to her personality while staying consistent and realisitic the whole time.

Ah, so that's what you mean. To be honest, i'm feeling conflicted about myself. On the one hand, I think a lot of their reactions being similar has to do with the fact that they're just on the same page as a group. There's just a level of competence and unity (Ryuji and Morgana's antics aside...) that they have as "Phantom Thieves", and it makes those moments when that unity breaks and their viewpoints start to diverge all the more impactful. I also agree that there's a occasionally lack of... flavor when the characters are taking, which somewhat results in scenes being less memorable. Also, at the risk of using the mediocre localization as a crutch yet again, I think it contributed to some of the dialogue lacking personality .

_Isaac

Ugh I ran out of time. It said two days left, but then they introduced something called the calling card that they're forcing me to do. That process takes two days! So yeah I ran out of tune and I have to do a bunch of that annoying dungeon again. Ugh!

Deimo5

Ugh I ran out of time. It said two days left, but then they introduced something called the calling card that they're forcing me to do. That process takes two days! So yeah I ran out of tune and I have to do a bunch of that annoying dungeon again. Ugh!

You shouldn't deliberately be leaving dungeons until the last moment if that is what you were doing. I guess you know that now, but yeah, they keep bugging you about it for a reason.

Curufinwe

Me neither. Maybe it's that early 'jerk teenage guy with bottomless libido' impression. (Which to be fair does make him look like a tool)

I think he's way better overall than Yosuke and Junpei, he feels like he has the most natural friendship with the MC.

Though credit given, all of the social links in P5 have been enjoyable. Not a one felt boring or tedious, I liked all the characters.

Fortune is pretty uninteresting, but I like the rest.

Post-completion depression is kicking in guys. Send help.

Oh man it hit me for a good week, so I watched a ton of romcom anime to calm it down until I was ready to start NG+ in a week's time. Now I'm really enjoying some of the aspects of the game that I didn't get to focus on in the last playthrough and creating some ridiculously OP Persona through min maxing.

Hmmmm, it's not only the Drain / Repel skills that are backward, Moloch gets Nuke Amp when he should get Psy Amp (he gets Psy skills but no Nuke ones). Seems like a mechanics check pass was missed somewhere (or they chained Drain / Repel , the attack elements for some at the last minute but they still missed a check pass in that case).

Super sloppy.

Opa-Pa

Hmmmm, it's not only the Drain / Repel skills that are backward, Moloch gets Nuke Amp when he should get Psy Amp (he gets Psy skills but no Nuke ones). Seems like a mechanics check pass was missed somewhere (or they chained Drain / Repel , the attack elements for some at the last minute but they still missed a check pass in that case).

Super sloppy.

The Moloch case definitely makes no sense, it confused me too. But for repel/drain do you mean those cases where for example a persona gets phys drain even though it already naturally nulls it? Because that happens in other games too and I've always interpreted it as "I hope you liked being immune to physical, here's a skill so you can do the same with whatever you fuse me into".

The Moloch case definitely makes no sense, it confused me too. But for repel/drain do you mean those cases where for example a persona gets phys drain even though it already naturally nulls it? Because that happens in other games too and I've always interpreted it as "I hope you liked being immune to physical, here's a skill so you can do the same with whatever you fuse me into".

No, Moloch (again because he's super busted) naturally Repels Fire but learns Drain Fire, he's not the only one either, pretty much all the others make sense besides naturally Absorbing and learning Repel or naturally Repelling and learning Drain make sense but I've see it at least twice.

Holy crap Fusion Accidents are weird in this game. Was fusing Kin-Ki and Regent for Ara Mitama for my compendium got Gabriel.

Hmm , maybe you can fusion accident non-inheritable skills on but it seems way to rare to try given you'd need the exact right result, that was the only time it happened and I've almost completed my compendium as far as possible on a NG.

My favourite fusion accident will always be Metatron in P4.

Sadly I only got one accident in this game and it was Cu Chullain. (Who's great so I'm not complaining.)

vypek

I did palace 6 today and before saving (and quitting before) a cutscene I noticed that I still had the game set at a higher difficulty. Accidentally kept it on hard difficulty when I was changing the difficulty to try and get a teammate as a hostage lol

Didn't seem like there was a huge difference actually.

Ah, so that's what you mean. To be honest, i'm feeling conflicted about myself. On the one hand, I think a lot of their reactions being similar has to do with the fact that they're just on the same page as a group. There's just a level of competence and unity (Ryuji and Morgana's antics aside...) that they have as "Phantom Thieves", and it makes those moments when that unity breaks and their viewpoints start to diverge all the more impactful. I also agree that there's a occasionally lack of... flavor when the characters are taking, which somewhat results in scenes being less memorable. Also, at the risk of using the mediocre localization as a crutch yet again, I think it contributed to some of the dialogue lacking personality .
Well said, that's more or less how I feel too. Gonna give it some time before I do NG+ and see if it bugs me less since I know about it going in.

Mikey Jr.

I think I am finally tapped out on this game. My brain is literally finished. I have 115 hours so far.

Somewhat near the end of the game spoilers

I beat that grueling Shido palace. I thought 100% that was the end of the game. I didn't bother grinding for levels. I used a bunch of my sp and healing items. The good shit.

It was just one huge ass dungeon with tons of bosses.

So now I find out that there is ANOTHER dungeon. Mementos. But apparently, there is another dungeon after that?

I'm going through this mementos dungeon, but my heart is just not in it. I'm running literally past everything. I'm at like 95% security level. Just reached the first safe room.

But yeah, I'm done. Great game from what I played.

But genuinely too long. By Shido dungeon I was already feeling the fatigue.

Top Bottom