• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

JBwB

Someone needs to start a support group or something :(

How I felt after finishing P5 is completely different from any other game I've played. It's my first Persona game, so maybe they all have that effect, but there's still something seriously special about it. Prolly something to do with the length; P5 is perhaps the longest it's taken me to finish a game, and it's quite a feat when considering the near-total lack of side content (fetch quests, kill X whatevers, etc). Sure, confidants and activities are technically optional, but in a different way - it's not about choosing whether or not you even want to do something, but rather choosing which specific things to prioritize. That the game can maintain such a long length with damn near every in-game day having value, but without the typical RPG padding impresses the hell out of me.

Persona 5 is your first Persona game?

Play Persona 4 / Persona 4 Golden right now. You'll no doubt get the same feeling after completing that as well.

LotusHD

Banned

How I felt after finishing P5 is completely different from any other game I've played. It's my first Persona game, so maybe they all have that effect, but there's still something seriously special about it. Prolly something to do with the length; P5 is perhaps the longest it's taken me to finish a game, and it's quite a feat when considering the near-total lack of side content (fetch quests, kill X whatevers, etc). Sure, confidants and activities are technically optional, but in a different way - it's not about choosing whether or not you even want to do something, but rather choosing which specific things to prioritize. That the game can maintain such a long length with damn near every in-game day having value, but without the typical RPG padding impresses the hell out of me.

I didn't feel like this at all despite it being my first Persona entry.... but I'd still buy Persona 6 I suppose. (No way of playing P4G.) Neat experience.

Ferrio

Banned
I feel totally different. Beating Persona 5 made me feel relieved. Because now I can go back to playing FFXIV HW, and actually start Nier Automata. The 2017 backlog is real, and it's REAL GOOD.

Nier ruined me for a few days afterwards, I don't think Persona is going to be as bad but it'll still sting.

kiaaa

I kinda wish this game had a Groundhog Day function on NG+. I know it's incredibly easy to do pretty much everything when you don't have to worry about leveling social stats, but still, a little more freedom would be welcome.

Link_enfant

You have to decide which of three approaches you want to take to playing. All have problems.

1) Play naturally without a FAQ. You'll miss out on lots of content and maybe get a bad ending. There's not really any way to "git gud" and do the right things just by learning the game mechanics and using logic. You'll unavoidably screw up.

2) Play with a FAQ and do the right route to max out everything and see all of the content. This is obviously fun-killing to some degree. On the other hand, lots of the appeal of Persona is the visual novel/story scene stuff, and this approach will maximize that. You could theoretically just watch the missed scenes on Youtube or something, but that seems like a much bigger burden than just doing it in-game.

3) Play once normally, then play again with a FAQ (and New Game Plus). The best of both worlds? Not quite. Persona 4 Golden is like 90 hours long. Can you really justify another massive playthrough of something, especially since a big chunk of the scenes will be repeated? Wouldn't it be better to play a new game instead?

This sort of design is honestly a big problem with the series, and with lots of JRPGs. I don't think any of the approaches are perfect; you'll have to decide for yourself.

Just saw this interesting post in a recent Persona 4 Golden thread.

I'm currently 75 hours in Persona 5, this is my first game of the series and I chose to play with approach 1) on Normal difficulty. Now I'm actually wondering to which extent this description applies to it, as it makes me worried a little bit now :(

This is my third one of these games. The formula feels pretty rote at this point. Despite the game being good I was just glad to be done with it.

Seems kind of like Dark Souls in that 3 is probably better than 1 from a technical stand point but it couldn't really elicit the same feelings the third time around.

I'd like for the games to be drastically different in the future but I ought to remember that this is still a novel concept for some people.

RalchAC

Just saw this interesting post in a recent Persona 4 Golden thread.

I'm currently 75 hours in Persona 5, this is my first game of the series and I chose to play with approach 1) on Normal difficulty. Now I'm actually wondering to which extent this description applies to it, as it makes me worried a little bit now :(

If you take some cues from the game, you can max most stuff in a single playhtrough.

And, in any case, you can always ask people here. Most would have told you:

- Do the BB Burger Challenge, it gives 3 guts.
- Bath on Monday and Thursday.
- Study on rainy days.
- Feed your plant.
- For Proficiency, craft items.

Unlock the Fortune Confidant ASAP, and use her perks a lot.

Always have a couple of books available.

Going to the cinema to watch a movie for the first time gives you 3 music notes.

I wouldn't recommend people to use the spoiler free FAQ for a first playthrough. Just Take your time, pay attention, ask for tips here and pace the game yourself. There is no need to have so much pressure, especially seeing how broken you can be in NG+.

OMFG Makoto's lvl 10 Persona is
a god damn transformer!
Went from the worst to my favourite so far lol.

Also does increasing the difficulty increase the gold/exp you gain?

If P5 only had the same quality and quantity of social and bonding events that p4 had, I may put it as the best game I've played.

I remember when FF15 disappointed me I kept saying that persona 5 is here to make up for it but it disappointed me as well. It's just that p4g's social events made me feel close to the characters which Persona 5 didn't capture at all

Getting my equipment sorted for Final Dungeon and would really like to know
Akechi's
tailor, his Formal Wear seems to be the most Evasive armor available to males in the game. That's​ one excellent suit.

Ladekabel

So about the Reaper...
Does he only appear on certain floors? I'm standing near the entrance of the first level since about 10 minutes but he hasn't appeared yet. Do I need to go deeper?

So about the Reaper...
Does he only appear on certain floors? I'm standing near the entrance of the first level since about 10 minutes but he hasn't appeared yet. Do I need to go deeper?

He doesn't appear in the very first section because that could potentially mess up the tutorial the first time you enter.

Ladekabel

He doesn't appear in the very first section because that could potentially mess up the tutorial the first time you enter.

Makes sense...

Moved to another area. My god, what are the chances of it having despair during flu season? Five times already and not a single time was it despaired and kicked my ass...

RDreamer

Beat the game last night at like 140 hours. Overall it was really great, but I think they definitely have a lot of room for improvement next time. There's a lot of filler they could just speed up. I also probably should have changed the game to hard because almost everything was way too easy. The end boss especially was a bit disappointing in that regard. Coming after SMTIV:A I kind of felt like the fusing and fighting portion of the game wasn't really that in depth and I really didn't get a chance to experiment and didn't need to utilize a lot of different abilities.

I also liked the story and characters, though there were some spots with really bad writing (or bad translation... hard to tell.) Things overall felt a bit worse after the 'twist.'

I'm a big Persona/SMT and a massive JRPG fan, but I'd say overall it still feels a bit weird that this received such glowing reviews.

even with all the honorifics p4 had a 'snappiness' to the dialogue that's not really there in p5.

p5's functional at best, stilted and labored at worst localization holds it back p hard. its only salvaged by the voice acting of the main cast. damn shame.

cj_iwakura

even with all the honorifics p4 had a 'snappiness' to the dialogue that's not really there in p5.

p5's functional at best, stilted and labored at worst localization holds it back p hard. its only salvaged by the voice acting of the main cast. damn shame.

One line that really stood out in the ending, and I barely noticed for the most part(paraphrasing):

"You can now stand on your feet, unmoved by no one."

By and large I think people are overreacting, it just had little flaws here and there, for the most part, the characters and story were driven home adeptly. Just every so often there'd be that one line, even SPOKEN weirdly, where I'd just scratch my head in confusion. Especially the damn clearly unlocalized 'please take care of me' introductions.

I'm really looking forward to replaying the game on hard, because all the stackable Boost/Amp skills made Haru an absolute gunkata killing machine. 1600 in one shot = Well, bye.

FHIZ

Makes sense...

Moved to another area. My god, what are the chances of it having despair during flu season? Five times already and not a single time was it despaired and kicked my ass...
It took me a good number of times for just the one win I needed for the trophy. The level 9 Star ability is totally necessary.

Raxus

It took me a good number of times for just the one win I needed for the trophy. The level 9 Star ability is totally necessary.

Yep. With it you can kick its ass pretty hard. I even beat it a couple times legit but guy is pretty difficult on the first run through.

Beat the game last night at like 140 hours. Overall it was really great, but I think they definitely have a lot of room for improvement next time. There's a lot of filler they could just speed up. I also probably should have changed the game to hard because almost everything was way too easy. The end boss especially was a bit disappointing in that regard. Coming after SMTIV:A I kind of felt like the fusing and fighting portion of the game wasn't really that in depth and I really didn't get a chance to experiment and didn't need to utilize a lot of different abilities.

I also liked the story and characters, though there were some spots with really bad writing (or bad translation... hard to tell.) Things overall felt a bit worse after the 'twist.'

I'm a big Persona/SMT and a massive JRPG fan, but I'd say overall it still feels a bit weird that this received such glowing reviews.

Yeah, that was a mistake. Hard mode is the way to go.

I never go hard on a first playthrough, I need incentive for NG+. I like to see how difficult the original mode is first. And the hardest difficulty just sounds stupid.

I can understand that. In my case, I want my first experience with a game to be as great as possible. Reading some impressions on difficulty, it sounded like hard mode would be perfect for a SMT/Persona veteran, so I went with that. The balance feels just right, especially coming off of SMT IV which was all over the place.

Zesh

I find it strange that so many people complain about Normal being too easy, yet never try bumping it up to Hard. You can switch difficulties at any time, so you can always go back to Normal if you dislike Hard. I did my first playthrough on Hard and thought it was a good difficulty (though still a bit too easy, unfortunately). I agree that Merciless isn't worth it for the first run, though.

Vic_Viper

Now that I maxed out Ann's Slink and chose the relationship option, what do I do now? Is choosing to spend time with her a waste if I'm still trying to max out others? Are there set times when I should hang out with her as aposed to others?

cj_iwakura

I find it strange that so many people complain about Normal being too easy, yet never try bumping it up to Hard. You can switch difficulties at any time, so you can always go back to Normal if you dislike Hard. I did my first playthrough on Hard and thought it was a good difficulty (though still a bit too easy, unfortunately). I agree that Merciless isn't worth it for the first run, though.

There were times that Normal still gave me a run for my money, so I like to see if it can break out the fangs. I also got wiped a couple times in the final dungeon(very irritatingly).

Zesh

Now that I maxed out Ann's Slink and chose the relationship option, what do I do now? Is choosing to spend time with her a waste if I'm still trying to max out others? Are there set times when I should hang out with her as aposed to others?
Yeah, it's a waste of time.

JBwB

You can hang out with her in your room or take her on a date to seaside park but other than that yeah it's a waste of time.

cj_iwakura

You can hang out with her in your room or take her on a date to seaside park but other than that yeah it's a waste of time.

I feel like P3 handled intimacy the best, since you actually get to see the confidant social link's room at max rank.

ShadyK54

Sojiro's goodbye hit me hardest. Take care, kid.

He was easily the best VA in the whole game.

That was a one-two punch for me, the first punch being earlier when you decide to give him the journal/diary, and you see him take the glasses off & wipe his eyes.

Waterworks kicked into high gear at that point.

Kindekuma

Banned
I need to join a support group to deal with the sadness that it's over

Come 'ere brother.

Now that P5 is done and out of the way for me I guess I'll jump back into and finish Tokyo Mirage Sessions to make myself feel a bit better. I can't do a NG+ run haha, I just can't (at least not now).

cj_iwakura

That was a one-two punch for me, the first punch being earlier when you decide to give him the journal/diary, and you see him take the glasses off & wipe his eyes.

Waterworks kicked into high gear at that point.
I didn't give him the journal, and it wasn't an option later. :( What happens?

And I love how selective they were with VA, the max confidants being voiced was a nice touch. V-Day, too.

Zesh

Finished the game 2 weeks ago and platinumed it 3 days ago..

I need to join a support group to deal with the sadness that it's over

Yeah, it didn't hit me that hard when I first finished it because I knew I'd be doing NG+ right after for the platinum. Now I've finished NG+ and I'm just trying to find excuses to play the game some more.

Tried getting into P4G, but it's not filling the void for me. Still need to give that more of a chance, though.

LiK

Mentioned I got Plat last night but wanted to show off that I got it before it hit 1% which is always nice. We're a special group of guys.

C_ra7cvUMAAmhnL.jpg

One line that really stood out in the ending, and I barely noticed for the most part(paraphrasing):

"You can now stand on your feet, unmoved by no one."

By and large I think people are overreacting, it just had little flaws here and there, for the most part, the characters and story were driven home adeptly. Just every so often there'd be that one line, even SPOKEN weirdly, where I'd just scratch my head in confusion. Especially the damn clearly unlocalized 'please take care of me' introductions.
I think you can make the argument that people are overreacting, but P5 still has some pervasive problems that I don't remember either P4 or even P3 having. The two most prominent in my mind are weird adverb usage (stuff like "How could you do that so recklessly!") and the constant use of common J-E translation phrases like "It can't be helped." It really took me out of it, though it is kinda nice to see so many people still loving P5. I want it to be successful, even if I have major concerns about this particular aspect.

ShadyK54

I didn't give him the journal, and it wasn't an option later. :( What happens?

And I love how selective they were with VA, the max confidants being voiced was a nice touch. V-Day, too.

He just goes something like "Oh, you kept this, huh? Haha." Then when MC walks out so you can give the goodbyes, he opens it, then takes his glasses off to wipe his eyes. :(

It was really touching & hit me hard in the feels.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
90 hours in and I'm still impressed by how seamlessly Makoto transitions into and out of Johanna.

Recall

The cut scene after late game Palace
, big spoilers.

Ryuji taking the starting position and then running towards the life raft was amazing, amazing. I was basically cheering him on.

I honestly thought Ryuji had died but I'm glad he didn't as the Swift Strike skill was essential for everything that came after :)

The cut scene after late game Palace
, big spoilers.

Ryuji taking the starting position and then running towards the life raft was amazing, amazing. I was basically cheering him on.

I honestly thought Ryuji had died but I'm glad he didn't as the Swift Strike skill was essential for everything that came after :)

On that scene;
while I felt it was a really well placed scene to reintroduce the fact Ryuji is the most athletic of the group, and I too genuinely felt sucker-punched by a potential death, the "ah, gotcha!" trope had already been played with Joker so it felt flat here, and I HATE how he gets shit on by the girls afterwards. I think if you were going for laughs, just having them drop any and all concern once Ryuji came back as if it didn't happen would be far more comedic.

Zafir

Rofl I fucked up not checking my phone during this whole ng+. Didn't realize request texts were missable 💀💀💀💀

I was THAT close to missing one of the texts in NG+. I checked my phone and it was literally the last thing in the list.

He should really send them again if you don't read them, or at the very least make it so texts which unlock things don't get removed if you haven't read them.

Top Bottom