• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

PK Gaming

tumblr_ooye19rzTY1wn6hn2o1_1280.png

tumblr_ooye19rzTY1wn6hn2o2_1280.png

o|-<

I wouldn't go that far. Haru owes pretty much everything to the Phantom Thieves, and she constantly reiterates just how much being one gives her life meaning. It's nothing I would specifically attribute to Joker. The game is also pretty clear about what her Phantom Thief outfit represents, and why she loves it. Futaba is the opposite in that she's almost completely dependent on Joker, but it's a pretty deliberate decision, and her Confidant even has her work on becoming less dependent. This is why you shouldn't date her. Her outfit embraces her love for technology/information and she likes it as well. It's plain cool.

That said, I do think its disappointing how Ann never really comes to terms with being sexy (despite admiring sexy individuals). They mostly use use her costume for jokes.

Joker loves that shit. Look at how smug he is when he fixes his gloves or mask.

Sure, there are deliberate things about the way Haru and Futaba are written, and all in all it works out, but that doesn't change the fact that they are written that way. Comparing the confidants, you see Ryuji and Yusuke go out and change things in their lives on their own. Joker helps, and is supportive, but they confront their own pasts and make amends and just generally deal without the same level of second guessing themselves or "lol your dream is outlandish and dumb asf but I'll allow it because you're hot" you see with Ann.

RalchAC

Is the Fortune s-link with Chihaya worth the initial 100,000 investment?

I'm still not totally sure what the "luck reading" does.

Hell yeah!

The perks give you various boosts. You can pay money to increase the points you add to a certain stat for a day, the amount of money got if you finish a fight with an All Out Attack and you can boost the EXP of a Confidant once a day too.

The Holy Stone alone is worth it too. Do it!

Fjordson

Hell yeah!

The perks give you various boosts. You can pay money to increase the points you add to a certain stat for a day, the amount of money got if you finish a fight with an All Out Attack and you can boost the EXP of a Confidant once a day too.

The Holy Stone alone is worth it too. Do it!

Oh damn.

I'm assuming getting a luck reading doesn't take up time? Like I can get the bonus from her then run back home to the bath house for bonus charm?

(I'm trying to get the last rank of charm ASAP)

PK Gaming

Joker loves that shit. Look at how smug he is when he fixes his gloves or mask.

Sure, there are deliberate things about the way Haru and Futaba are written, and all in all it works out, but that doesn't change the fact that they are written that way. Comparing the confidants, you see Ryuji and Yusuke go out and change things in their lives on their own. Joker helps, and is supportive, but they confront their own pasts and make amends and just generally deal without the same level of second guessing themselves or "lol your dream is outlandish and dumb asf but I'll allow it because you're hot" you see with Ann.

Haru's the same though. Joker is supportive, but he doesn't actually help her when it comes to
dealing with the company after her Father's death, her fiancee (who is sadly taken out offscreen), setting up that meeting with what's his face or her decision to ultimately back away from Okumura foods and start up a coffee shop.
Yeah, she second guesses herself more than Yusuke/Ryuji, but her problems are on a completely different scale than theirs. Plus, Yusuke second guesses himself on multiple occasions as well and needs tons of reassuring (he's rather dramatic in his Confidant, lol.) In the end, Haru recognizes what needs to be done in her life and is proactive about solving them. I don't think it's accurate at all to paint her as the damsel who needed Joker to save her. Haru's tough.

It's accurate to say that about Futaba, but she ends up being more of an exception and not the rule. Her Confidant mostly plays out like a social link from Persona 4. It's kind of reminiscent of Shu's from Persona 4 in that you're helping out a messed up kid.

"lol your dream is outlandish and dumb asf but I'll allow it because you're hot"

I mean they're just friends, lol. You're not actually allowing anything (plus, is it even a dream? Seems like a half-assed desire to me). Anyway, Ann's Confidant is completely all over the place, but the recurrent theme is mental strength, and Ann's getting that from Mika and especially Shiho is pretty touching. Not much Joker involvement here either.

Arrrammis

Oh damn.

I'm assuming getting a luck reading doesn't take up time? Like I can get the bonus from her then run back home to the bath house for bonus charm?

(I'm trying to get the last rank of charm ASAP)

Correct. Go pay for a reading, then do something to raise that stat and you get a bonus stat boost for that stat.

Is the Fortune s-link with Chihaya worth the initial 100,000 investment?

I'm still not totally sure what the "luck reading" does.

You tried confusing a Mementos boss? They can throw so much money at you. Besides, by the time all is said and done you'll be swimming in cash by just playing through palaces to the point where 100,000 is a small investment.

Besides, gaining all Confidants/S.Links is a staple of the series, if you feel like you can, always pursue one.

If it helps, her perks are superb later into the story.

Fjordson

Correct. Go pay for a reading, then do something to raise that stat and you get a bonus stat boost for that stat.
Very nice. Thanks.

You tried confusing a Mementos boss? They can throw so much money at you. Besides, by the time all is said and done you'll be swimming in cash by just playing through palaces to the point where 100,000 is a small investment.

Besides, gaining all Confidants/S.Links is a staple of the series, if you feel like you can, always pursue one.

If it helps, her perks are superb later into the story.
The bolded is a good point. All the confidants in this are really fun so far, I might as well buy the stone.

Damn forgot how much these games like to force the main story on you and won't let you do anything in the evening, I've been sitting here just pressing X for an hour.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
My relationship with Sojiro: He keeps threatening to kick you out at first so I figured I'd spend my time with other more welcoming people

I kept telling myself that and well.. its the end game now.

My relationship with Sojiro: He keeps threatening to kick you out at first so I figured I'd spend my time with other more welcoming people

I kept telling myself that and well.. its the end game now.

Hope your Joker enjoys the rest of his days making weak-ass coffee that'll impress no girls.

He did seem too gruff to start, but I'd have thought his actions of actually taking you in, and never - even if you talked back - carried through on his threats would come across as a well-meaning guy who thinks you need some stern support.

Humdinger

I'd appreciate any feedback. I'm new to Persona, and I'm about 12 hours in. I'm halfway through the first palace, with only a few days left to go.

In general, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. There's so much to keep track of ... all the different personas and their combinations, the different confidants and what they like, negotiating with enemies and their dialog preferences, SP management, save game restrictions, dungeon and time management issues, crafting lockpicks, reading books, feeding plants, taking part-time jobs, taking tests in class, listening to people, watching TV, working on relationships, shopping for the right goods and materials, etc.

It feels like a lot to stay on top of. In part I'm thinking, "This feels like a lot of work, and sort of like real life -- having to run around and take care of a bunch of stuff." I'm not sure how much I'm having fun, and how much I'm feeling like I'm checking off items on a "to-do" list.

It feels like the game is a fairly complicated one, with lots of stuff to keep track of and stay on top of. My life is complicated enough already, and I'm beginning to feel like I don't need a second life full of complications and lots of mini-issues that I have to continually manage.

Any thoughts? I'd like to like the game. I see the 94 Metacritic, and I love how visually inventive the game is. I like the characters, so far. I've been surprised at the maturity of some of the themes they're dealing with. I'm not crazy about turn-based combat, and I'm getting a little impatient with that.

I don't know. I'm wondering if it's a game I'll grow to like, or whether for all its charms the game is just for me -- not because it's a bad game, but because it's going to ask too much of my attention/energy over 100+ hours to keep on top of everything, and it's going to feel more like a complex "to do" list than a joy.

Giever

I'd appreciate any feedback. I'm new to Persona, and I'm about 12 hours in. I'm halfway through the first palace, with only a few days left to go.

In general, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. There's so much to keep track of ... all the different personas and their combinations, the different confidants and what they like, negotiating with enemies and their dialog preferences, SP management, save game restrictions, dungeon and time management issues, crafting lockpicks, reading books, feeding plants, taking part-time jobs, taking tests in class, listening to people, watching TV, working on relationships, shopping for the right goods and materials, etc.

It feels like a lot to stay on top of. In part I'm thinking, "This feels like a lot of work, and sort of like real life -- having to run around and take care of a bunch of stuff." I'm not sure how much I'm having fun, and how much I'm feeling like I'm checking off items on a "to-do" list.

It feels like the game is a fairly complicated one, with lots of stuff to keep track of and stay on top of. My life is complicated enough already, and I'm beginning to feel like I don't need a second life full of complications and lots of mini-issues that I have to continually manage.

Any thoughts? I'd like to like the game. I see the 94 Metacritic, and I love how visually inventive the game is. I like the characters, so far. I've been surprised at the maturity of some of the themes they're dealing with. I'm not crazy about turn-based combat, and I'm getting a little impatient with that.

I don't know. I'm wondering if it's a game I'll grow to like, or whether for all its charms the game is just for me -- not because it's a bad game, but because it's going to ask too much of my attention/energy over 100+ hours to keep on top of everything, and it's going to feel more like a complex "to do" list than a joy.

You're not going to 'complete' everything in a single playthrough, and there's no need to. Try to let go of any checkbox impulses and just follow your whims without worrying about all of the stuff you find overwhelming. Want to hang out with Ann? Want to get a good exam score for some recognition from Sojiro? Want to fuse a persona with physical resistance? Just try to gravitate towards stuff you actually want to pursue rather than feeling you have to fill every opening the game gives you.

That's the best advice I can give for the complaints you seem to have. Can't really offer anything on the turn-based front, that's just the kind of game it is.

Is it possible to max out all the confidants in one playthrough? I get the feeling I'm kinda behind

It's possible, but you probably won't do it without a guide. And, to me at least, meticulously following a guide for a first playthrough in these games makes it an intolerable experience instead of a fun one.

RalchAC

It's not that complicated. The game focuses in 3 things: Confidants, Stats and Dungeon Crawling.

Usually it's better to farm money in a place called Mementos than doing jobs (although some characters can only be unlocked after working twice at a place).

Take it at your own pace, focus on the characters you like and don't worry too much about everything.

If you have any question, ask people here. We'll solve any doubt you have.

The game says "Take your time" and you really should. Don't worry about minmaxing everything. Just enjoy the ride.

Beyond the immense style this game exudes, Persona is built around stat management. Your success in dungeons/palaces is heavily linked to the amount of micro-management you are willing to take with keeping the right personas and party members for that situation. Success in doing this is, in turn, reliant heavily on how you manage time during the day-to-day social life portion of the game - who you spend your free time with, your Confidants, these will, beyond good story-telling, provide very real buffs to your dungeon-crawling. These in turn, are often locked behind social skills (your guts, proficiency etc.) which requires even more careful thought put into how free time is allocated. Only by heavily investing time into each aspect mentioned will you get everything you can out of this, and other Persona games.

Don't try and do any of that. Just play it for the laughs, make a note of who you never really got to hang out with, and if when all is said and done you'd like another go in the future, NG+ gives you some incredibly nice perks.

Edit:

Also, like RalchAC said, anything in particular giving you trouble, there doesn't seem to be anyone on here who hasn't had a question answered yet.

Humdinger

You're not going to 'complete' everything in a single playthrough, and there's no need to. Try to let go of any checkbox impulses and just follow your whims without worrying about all of the stuff you find overwhelming. Want to hang out with Ann? Want to get a good exam score for some recognition from Sojiro? Want to fuse a persona with physical resistance? Just try to gravitate towards stuff you actually want to pursue rather than feeling you have to fill every opening the game gives you.

That's the best advice I can give for the complaints you seem to have. Can't really offer anything on the turn-based front, that's just the kind of game it is.

It's not that complicated. The game focuses in 3 things: Confidants, Stats and Dungeon Crawling.

Take it at your own pace, focus on the characters you like and don't worry too much about everything.

If you have any question, ask people here. We'll solve any doubt you have.

The game says "Take your time" and you really should. Don't worry about minmaxing everything. Just enjoy the ride.

[...]
Don't try and do any of that. Just play it for the laughs, make a note of who you never really got to hang out with, and if when all is said and done you'd like another go in the future, NG+ gives you some incredibly nice perks.

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate that feedback. I think that'll get me back on the right track.

I think my mistake was, being new to Persona, I searched for tips on playing Persona 5, and I came up with articles like this one from Kirk Hamilton at Kotaku, who goes into all the game's systems and makes it all sound very complicated.
http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-persona-5-1793997638

vypek

I'm pretty close to maxing out a good chunk of my confidants. I decided to do some trophy work today. Hit a home run, read all the bucks, played all the games (fuck the stupid
dice based
games. Idk if I needed to spoiler that or not.

Working on the compendium right now and will try to figure out which late game persona I want and then gonna see if I can get the fishing trophy. Almost at 100 hours with this game and still having a blast

EDIT: Also got the Futaba trophy thanks to one of her abilities that I recently unlocked.

First Persona game ever and am playing blind because it's honestly way more fun to me than min maxing. Having a blast. Just got to the dungeon in September. Just got access to what appears to be the last confidant I needed. Most stats at 3 except guts and knowledge at 4. Almost level 10 with teach.

What a game.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Jumping in and then jumping out (because even vague pics are like spoilers to me, lol, I'm cray). Started this the other day. Fantastic so far. I'm at May 5th so super-early but damn. Almost everything's great. I played P4 before (Golden version) and liked it a lot but didn't love it. I miss hearing P4G's amount of voice acting, but other than that I think I'm enjoying 5 more so far. I dig the tone.

NPC Nishima has no feelings, so it's okay.

You reckon? If you turn down his offer of the Planetarium

"I bought two tickets, I'll just go by myself twice then". And there's another one where Morgana guilt trips you if you turn him down. The guy's literally got razor blades hovering near his wrists.

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate that feedback. I think that'll get me back on the right track.

I think my mistake was, being new to Persona, I searched for tips on playing Persona 5, and I came up with articles like this one from Kirk Hamilton at Kotaku, who goes into all the game's systems and makes it all sound very complicated.
http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-persona-5-1793997638

If this is your first persona and you start following guides, you're quite honestly going to miss out on the game's real charm. The reason why so many people became fans of the series is because of how organic the games are. There are lots of characters who you can spend time with, many stats that you can increase and dungeon crawling to do. But the best part is that you get to do it at your own pace.

Just like you would in real life, hang out with the people/characters you actually find interesting and ignore the rest. You can come back to them later if you want or NG+ if the game catches you. Do the activities that you genuinely enjoy - if you enjoy the fishing mini-game do that, if you enjoy the batting cages do that and slowly expand as you get comfortable with exploring the city (you will get good benefits regardless). Raise the social stats that actually represents you - if you prefer kindness being the most important trait then raise that, if you like intelligence being most important, raise that instead. Do what intrigues you most and ignore the rest and as time goes on, you'll naturally start to explore more possibilities. Everyone's unique and that's really the fun of the game. Above all, if the dungeons are giving you trouble, just set the difficulty to easy or safe and you should be able to get through without any of your choices holding you back.

When I played my first Persona game (Persona 3) I barely finished half of the social links and had to set the difficulty to easy to finish the main story since the dungeons were too hard at the time. But it didn't matter since the characters I hung out with and the activities I did were just a ton of fun. Sure, now that I'm familiar with the series I go for maxed out stats and social links just because I love trying out everything the game has to offer, but the original experience I had with my first Persona game and the characters I chose to spend time with will always be special to me (Chihiro is best girl).

jonjonaug

NPC Nishima has no feelings, so it's okay.

Some of the hangout events with Mishima are actually p cool though. They're worth checking out on NG+ (basically a waste of time on NG). Like the one where you run into Chihaya which is like

Mishima: "He's my best friend!"
Chihaya: "You seem more like a fanboy than a friend to me"

The planetarium one has you running into Yusuke who then goes on to have one of his dork-iest scenes in the entire game.

Holy fuck I'm tired of Morgana not letting me do shit

I'm never really sure if people are joking with comments like these.

Essentially it's a throwback to Persona 4, and there's two reasons for it. One is that if you go into a Palace or Mementos After School you lose the Evening, as an incentive to clear the dungeon in a few days as possible. The second is that P4 had 1-2 hour gaps at times between savepoints, so the game is giving you a break every 15-20 minutes solely to save your game.

Xeteh

Some of the hangout events with Mishima are actually p cool though. They're worth checking out on NG+ (basically a waste of time on NG). Like the one where you run into Chihaya which is like

Mishima: "He's my best friend!"
Chihaya: "You seem more like a fanboy than a friend to me"

The planetarium one has you running into Yusuke who then goes on to have one of his dork-iest scenes in the entire game.

Game needs more scenes of people making fun of Mishima.

Humdinger

If this is your first persona and you start following guides, you're quite honestly going to miss out on the game's real charm. The reason why so many people became fans of the series is because of how organic the games are. There are lots of characters who you can spend time with, many stats that you can increase and dungeon crawling to do. But the best part is that you get to do it at your own pace.

Just like you would in real life, hang out with the people/characters you actually find interesting and ignore the rest. You can come back to them later if you want or NG+ if the game catches you. Do the activities that you genuinely enjoy - if you enjoy the fishing mini-game do that, if you enjoy the batting cages do that and slowly expand as you get comfortable with exploring the city (you will get good benefits regardless). Raise the social stats that actually represents you - if you prefer kindness being the most important trait then raise that, if you like intelligence being most important, raise that instead. Do what intrigues you most and ignore the rest and as time goes on, you'll naturally start to explore more possibilities. Everyone's unique and that's really the fun of the game. Above all, if the dungeons are giving you trouble, just set the difficulty to easy or safe and you should be able to get through without any of your choices holding you back.

Thanks for the advice. I'll take it. Appreciate your help.

FHIZ

Essentially it's a throwback to Persona 4,

140+ hours into NG+, so I don't really care about the limit, that said, the difference here is P4 didn't have that limitation personified. It just had your MC think and go to bed. No Teddy going "you should get some sleep Senpai!" Here with Morgana, because he's the one always imposing the limitation, he's a target for the frustration and makes it that much more noticable.

Top Bottom