• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

General puzzle spoilers for whole game
I've noticed many of the puzzles are actually designed to minimise frustration eg the Chief Director in Palace 5 is the one right next to the door to before and the Bartender with the lost restaurant pass is the one next to the restaurant. I messed up both of these by overthinking things rather than just assuming the correct solution was on the path forward.

vypek

General puzzle spoilers for whole game
I've noticed many of the puzzles are actually designed to minimise frustration eg the Chief Director in Palace 5 is the one right next to the door to before and the Bartender with the lost restaurant pass is the one next to the restaurant. I messed up both of these by overthinking things rather than just assuming the correct solution was on the path forward.

Didn't realize this at all. Also, for that second puzzle you mentioned, I don't know if its that much of a puzzle because you the answer is available the whole time.
That thief eye thing highlights the steps on the floor if I recall correctly. It leads straight to one bar.

Lmao, how did I not notice makoto following you around on central street in my first playthrough 😂
It's so gradual, as well. First she's just asking about you outside the school, then she just follows you around the school, then she follows you pretty much everywhere. With the same magazine. On the same page.

Definitely raised a smile.

LiK

My favorite banter is when they're trying to figure out how the bus works.

The worst banter is with Yusuke. Fucker is hungry most of the time. Didn't notice how much he talks about food or wanting food until I was farming for Treasure Demons.

Recall

I'm thinking of starting my NG+ playthrough tonight. I'm not sure why as trophies aren't that a big a deal for me but I just want more Persona 5 in my life.

Zafir

The worst banter is with Yusuke. Fucker is hungry most of the time. Didn't notice how much he talks about food or wanting food until I was farming for Treasure Demons.

I am most certainly in the mood

for something salty today.

PK Gaming

tumblr_opxt7hSJK81wn6hn2o1_1280.png

tumblr_opxt7hSJK81wn6hn2o2_1280.png

Her kindness stat is 9999

D'awwww

Lmao this is so good. I wonder, since a lot of these have a single setup with multiple different responses, do other characters sing with Ryuji?

Iirc Ann tells him to shut up or something along those lines.

I'm partial to Ryuji putting his heart and soul into yodeling. I wish I could find a video of it.

It's no video but:

LiK

The banter is great, I just wish it was more than two lines, and didn't get interrupted by literally anything.

If they had more optional scenes during hangouts like this where they had such fun banter, it would def make the hangouts even better.

All the DLC we got is either from games from the Persona timeline or relatively recent Atlus games (Catherine and SMT IV).

Tamaki, the female protagonist in SMT If... Is a character in Persona 2, and she works at the Kuzunoha Detective Agency. I don't think the events in the Devil Summoner series take place in the same timeline as Persona, but the games are constantly referenced (the aforementioned office has a remix of the Devil Summoner office music), and Raidou is arguably the most recognizable out of the three DS protagonists.

Not that I wouldn't love Nocturne costumes though, but yeah they're not that random.

Huh, even as someone who has played P2, I'm surprised I didn't put together the fact that they were only really choosing relevant/referenced series within the Persona series. Makes a lot more sense. But yeah, love the costumes we got, just wish there were some more.

LiK

I *almost* feel bad using Yoshitsune at the end. Didn't realize how much it would trivialize the end enemies.

I was too lazy to follow the steps to make him with those invincible stats. Some of the late game Personas are already pretty damn powerful without him. Not sure why anyone would make him if they wanted a challenge. Might as well play on Safety.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Firing a warning shot to force a shadow to join you is always hilarious.
Same with doing an all out attack instead of doubling up on requesting more cash or items.

vypek

Firing a warning shot to force a shadow to join you is always hilarious.
Same with doing an all out attack instead of doubling up on requesting more cash or items.

Lol yeah. For a while I was asking for money and when I got it I would all out attack so get the experience. There was one single instance where the warning shot didn't work on the first try though. Guess there is a very small chance it won't work

Ferrio

Banned
I was too lazy to follow the steps to make him with those invincible stats. Some of the late game Personas are already pretty damn powerful without him. Not sure why anyone would make him if they wanted a challenge. Might as well play on Safety.

I figured after 90 hours I had enough challenge, it was time to kick some ass. Besides the game had stopped being hard since palace 4, might as well go the full way.

LiK

I figured after 90 hours I had enough challenge, it was time to kick some ass. Besides the game had stopped being hard since palace 4, might as well go the full way.

In my first run, I was basically playing with the same Persona I had taken from early in the game so it was quite a challenge. Made the final boss fight pretty epic. But I wouldn't have minded rushing through some of the Palaces tho.

Lol yeah. For a while I was asking for money and when I got it I would all out attack so get the experience. There was one single instance where the warning shot didn't work on the first try though. Guess there is a very small chance it won't work

It probably has to do with the personality type of the shadow. Irritable ones I would suspect would be most likely to ignore the warning shot.

This is the first JRPG that I got Platinum and I love every second of it. There are a lot of things that aren't well explained in the game like how to get the best weapons. The required material should have been a key item instead of random loot you can accidentally sell to Iwai.

PS. Futaba is still the best

Sojiro would have a heart attack if he knows she's such a player lol

Kyuur

Just entered palace 7.

I know people hate how long this one is so just so I know...what am I looking at here? 6 hours? 8 hours?

It felt shorter than 4, 5 and 6 to me.

Madarame is kicking my ass. :(

Definitely the early-difficulty-spike boss fight of the game for me on hard. Weakness exploitation, multiple parts with absorbs, resurrecting parts! Died numerous times.

Every boss after that felt relatively easy until (end-game spoilers)
Shido, 1st/4th/5th stages were the hardest in the game for me. Incredibly fun though!

Oh my god wow the true villain was
an evil god
all along

I'm shocked I tell you

Nobody could've seen this coming

Just trying to remind you that it's actually a SMT spinoff!

Lmao, how did I not notice makoto following you around on central street in my first playthrough 😂

Haha, she actually managed to stalk you successfully the first time around!

No way man, Yusuke's immense hunger is one of his best attributes. Hilarious the entire way through!

PK Gaming

This is the first JRPG that I got Platinum and I love every second of it. There are a lot of things that aren't well explained in the game like how to get the best weapons. The required material should have been a key item instead of random loot you can accidentally sell to Iwai.

PS. Futaba is still the best

Sojiro would have a heart attack if he knows she's such a player lol

The localized dialogue and voice for Futaba is generally fantastic. I doubt I would have liked her nearly as much in the JP version.

LiK

The localized dialogue and voice for Futaba is generally fantastic. I doubt I would have liked her nearly as much in the JP version.

Loved her English VA. Spunky yet not annoying. Her little bits of humming and giggling just fits her character so well.

Mid Sept spoilers
for the hawaii trip, does anyone have hq pictures of the group photo's main character takes?

Also Sept,
haru has joined, I'm doing the 5th palace/dungeon and about a third through
, on 50ish hours, how much longer is the game, keep hearing 110 hours, but seriously doubt Im not half way by now. Loving the game either way, probably my game of the decade lol

Loved her English VA. Spunky yet not annoying. Her little bits of humming and giggling just fits her character so well.

Each of the cast caught me off guard in one way or another, but Futaba expressing as much charm as she did probably takes the medal for me. With what little I had seen of her in the trailers, I was entirely expecting an abrasive character, but the little quirks to her lines are impossible not to like. Hats off to her VA in no short part.

Quonny

This end game is dragging on far, far too long.

Palaces are kind of a microcosm of the whole game. 20% too long and oddly paced with hard pauses.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So what status aliments do you guys regularly use / think are the most useful?

I am picking away at my merciless NG+ run slowly and so far I've found that rage, sleep and confuse are the best things ever.

Rage + tetrakarn or a null phys persona is amazing for forcing enemies to waste their turns, same with sleep and confuse, those two have a ridiculous high success rate with their single target variants. When you can't go for an all out attack some times just hitting a weakness and doing baton pass to ann to make her sleep something is great.

I am picking away at my merciless NG+ run slowly and so far I've found that rage, sleep and confuse are the best things ever.

Rage + tetrakarn or a null phys persona is amazing for forcing enemies to waste their turns, same with sleep and confuse, those two have a ridiculous high success rate with their single target variants. When you can't go for an all out attack some times just hitting a weakness and doing baton pass to ann to make her sleep something is great.

Despair is brutal. I don't know how effective its applicators are, though.
Fear benefits from Ghastly Wail eventually.

Zesh

Yeah, I got a lot of mileage out of sleep and confusion as well. It's quite nice that Ann gets both of them, though I generally prefer the single target versions due to their higher success rate.

Pachinko

I'm having a bunch of trouble dealing with 1 specific enemy in palace 5 , it even caused a game over once
The robot assistants when you grab the 3 keycards were so annoying with their triple down combined with being strong against literally everything unless you cast one of those break spells first. It's lead to me using a shit ton of SP even with SP adhesive 3 on everyone. Only a third of the way through the dungeon and Haru has already had to eat up a soul I got from an elephant. Once this game really gets going with the party having access to all 6 main elements It's kind of reminding me of FFX's combat where you where constantly switching party members in and out of battle to exploit weaknesses. I also kind of wish the first exploratory visit to a dungeon would have the new character unlock their talent here , just as it did in the previous areas. It's just a bit annoying that I have to leave and level up S.link with Haru just to give her baton pass .. maybe that's on purpose ? I don't know. It seems like this dungeon is about the same size as palace 4 but the more brutal enemies and different layout have me second guessing when I should jet .. .for now I'm thinking after I finish the next third I'll probably be pretty low on SP.

Gotta say though, I'm so far not entirely sure why people hate palace 5 so much. Feels not much different than the last couple so far. Music is catchy.

SirNinja

Confuse is ridiculously good. Mountains of money and items instead of being attacked? Heck yes. Pulinpa works like 95% of the time too (as does Tentarafoo + Confuse Boost).

Sleep is great even if it's inflicted on you, since you regenerate SP from it. Even better if you can taunt attacks towards an awake member while the others rest up.

Weapons that inflict Despair are also nice to have around. For early game, Dizzy works okay too, although enemies can still connect under it.

Also, I just noticed from NG+ that Shido's JP voice actor is the same guy that voices Char Aznable. That's why he sounds so familiar.

That explains the
boss outfit before he goes all Senator Armstrong.

JP Version is great and likable. Has a lot of range to convey all sides of her character. Haven't heard the english version, but no need to put one down. Plus all the localized text is still there. Either way, it's all pretty close to what she says in Japanese.

Top Bottom