• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

nOoblet16

I love it, more relaxing.
The light tone doesn't gel with me either. Someone aptly said it's like a scooby do show.

I haven't played P3 for more than 3 hours but it had a dark and more mature theme that I liked. P5 on the other hand hits all the notes and more. Thing is so stylish and tonally right for my taste.

LiK

The light tone doesn't gel with me either. Someone aptly said it's like a scooby do show.

I haven't played P3 for more than 3 hours but it had a dark and more mature theme that I liked. P5 on the other hand hits all the notes and more. Thing is so stylish and tonally right for my taste.

I loved P4G for all those reasons. I loved all the characters and the scenes made me laugh so much. Also, Nanako is the best. I never finished P3. The darker tone and boring ass dungeons kept me from finishing it. I even struggled to watch a LP for it. I think I'll just watch the P3 anime movies in the future.

P4's early going is darker than a lot of P5. P5's first dungeon is a very realistic kind of dark though.

I loved P4G for all those reasons. I loved all the characters and the scenes made me laugh so much. Also, Nanako is the best. I never finished P3. The darker tone and boring ass dungeons kept me from finishing it. I even struggled to watch a LP for it. I think I'll just watch the P3 anime movies in the future.
P3's "dark" always felt like edgy tryhard dark, like P5's velvet room

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
But you haven't finished P5 yet have you?
I'm playing Golden right now and it's sort of boring me tbh. Also the village setting looks like absolute dog shit, no style at all. And having Jpop inspired soundtrack feels like such a mismatch.

Nope, still waiting for
Futaba to fucking wake up
lol, dunno how far in that is, think its half or so.

Super productive 3 weeks since her castle tho, got another rank 10 (
politician
), Ryuji rank 9, Makoto 6 or something but shes now locked by charm, did all the part time jobs for the
4 memento missions that needed them
, which im now tackling.

Maya's great, but she isn't even the central character to her own game (It's Tatsuya). In terms of writing, he's still number 1 imo.

As an aside, her being a silent protagonist in EP was the dumbest thing. I get they wanted to follow tradition but...

I count both Tatuya and Maya as the MCs of Persona 2. It's all about their relationship.
And although I missed her dialogs in EP, I thought it was a great idea to reverse the whole thing. It would have been boring to play as Tatsuya in both games.

Meier

The anime is trash. Poor desaturated coloring, inconsistent lines, cheap animation, and worst: it's consistently out of character. They need to drop it wholesale next time.

I actually really enjoy it when the anime cutscenes happen, but I agree that the actual quality of it is very subpar especially given how much the in-game stuff has improved over the years.

That's cause he is a leader but not so much that the team can't even breathe without him. I'll give you an example of how bad it was in P4, the first time you get access to controlling Yosoke Teddie says "You are good, you should tell others what to do" to which Yosoke says "Oh just tell me what to do because I'm bad at this". Then Chie says the same stuff. Like come on !

As the story develops you'll realise how much he picks up on things and plans ahead, then you'll also get to see how the team can function and do things without him as well.
You say he is a leader but he really hasn't been anything close to a leader up to the
4th
palace, which is where I am right now. There hasn't been a single moment in the game that made me think "Now, that's how a leader thinks/acts".

Thus far all I've seen from Joker, is just an extremely unimportant character, who is just there to take the blame if anything happens. He has close to zero input as to what actually happens within the Phantom Thieves. I'm talking about story stuff, but even something like going to Metaverse is an unanimous decision and even though no one ever disagrees with you, but storywise even that's not Joker's decision.

Again, maybe my opinion will change as I progress through the game, but right now at this moment, Joker is simply a joke side character that the game is trying to sell as some important guy.

You say he is a leader but he really hasn't been anything close to a leader up to the
4th
palace, which is where I am right now. There hasn't been a single moment in the game that made me think "Now, that's how a leader thinks/acts".

Thus far all I've seen from Joker, is just an extremely unimportant character, who is just there to take the blame if anything happens. He has close to zero input as to what actually happens within the Phantom Thieves. I'm talking about story stuff, but even something like going to Metaverse is an unanimous decision and even though no one ever disagrees with you, but storywise even that's not Joker's decision.

Again, maybe my opinion will change as I progress through the game, but right now at this moment, Joker is simply a joke side character that the game is trying to sell as some important guy.
the most leaderly thing Joker does isnt until before the 6th palace

Palace 5 is really testing my patience. The part where you
have thirty seconds to cross a platform
especially, because you try to clear the lane but the enemies just respawn anyway and the timer continues in real time during each unavoidable battle. I'm in rage quit territory. might be time to get some air.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't really think they're trying to sell joker as a leader that much early on. They're still a group of punks.

especially, because you try to clear the lane but the enemies just respawn anyway and the timer continues in real time during each unavoidable battle. I'm in rage quit territory. might be time to get some air.

Wait, I seriously don't remember this part at all. I kinda blew through 5 though.

The ending credit song is really growing on me.

I was on full-scale blackout and listening to the song for the first time at the ending gave me absolute chill.

(Temperance Arcana Skill)
Quick question, how do you ask Kawakami to do laundry for you? I tried going to laundromat and calling her via coffee maker, but there's no option for that :/

the enemies shouldnt be respawning, clear them out ebfore activating the switch. At that point you will have >10 seconds to spare each time

Quick question, how do you ask Kawakami to do laundry for you? I tried going to laundromat and calling her via coffee maker, but there's no option for that :/
go through the whole thing, picking all the items, then you will get the option just before starting it

nOoblet16

4th

Which is why you need to play more.

The story in this game is so that I really cannot say anything without spoiling but I'll just say that opinions change when you gain hindsight.

Which is why you need to play more.

The story in this game is so that I really cannot say anything without spoiling but I'll just say that opinion changes when you gain hindsight.

Yeah, he proves his worth as the leader later on.

Just keep playing, anyone who doubted him. He's the best Persona leader by far.

nOoblet16

Probably closer to 80 hours. While Inaba isn't that exciting it really helps with the more spiritual setting.

You really get to know everyone.
I would hope that I get to know everyone in a village with 30 people in total :p I do like the theme that plays when you walk around town but it's quite upbeat and it's what I mean when I say it doesn't gel well for me because it's presented as a quaint town and I'm listening to this upbeat track.

the enemies shouldnt be respawning, clear them out ebfore activating the switch. At that point you will have >10 seconds to spare each time

go through the whole thing, picking all the items, then you will get the option just before starting it

They respawn before my eyes, it's frustrating as fudge.

PK Gaming

I count both Tatuya and Maya as the MCs of Persona 2. It's all about their relationship.
And although I missed her dialogs in EP, I thought it was a great idea to reverse the whole thing. It would have been boring to play as Tatsuya in both games.

I feel like that applies to IS, but EP is almost entirely about him. He's similar to Maki in P1 where they aren't the protagonists, but the story revolves around them. Don't get me wrong, Maya is undeniably the main character of P2:EP, but it's ultimately Tatsuya's story.

And yeah I loved playing as Maya, but man did it suck losing out on her amazing personality. She just doesn't work as a silent protagonist.

Meier

Oh man, there are some good Futaba lines in Mementos:

9QqzAbn.png

XenqVRX.png

XHPLwpa.jpg

fLAx4QJ.jpg

q9iMnkE.png

Futaba has become my absolute favorite character in general. Love her.

I think if you do it during the daytime, you can't get her to help.. I wasn't given the option at least that I noticed.

Zolo

You're not worthy of your avatar. Raditz would be more appropriate.
As Maya, you get to work for a magazine called Coolest. Boom, I win.

For what little that matters. The problem is she's silent, but clearly still supposed to be some kind of character. Compare that to even Tatsuya who's goal you can decide on in choices, who he's interested, and more.

That's not really saying much about his character though.

What can you say about Yu's character without bringing in things outside of P4 itself though?

With P5 I feel like I am able to independently form various opinions on situations and people that don't necessarily align with the rest of the team.

When the rest of the team is all gung ho "Phatom Thieves are awesome", I have the opportunity as the MC to to either support that or put in some cautionary advice. Or if I think Ryuji is beign a dick, I can call him out on it. I can be fair and friendly to Akechi even while the rest of the team is bad mouthing him.

It doesn't change the story or anything but it allows me to at least feel like I have a good handle on the MC's personality in a way that I didn't in P3 and P4.

Personally I am pretty much always against silent protagonists and wish the Persona series would ditch the concept entirely.

Dark_castle

Yu is the most stoic/swagg protagonist, so his lack of emotion only plays into his personality.

Joker's personality seems a lot more downtrodden and also, well, joke-y than previous MCs. He's actually the comedian of the group (or at least, can be), which isn't something I was ever expecting. (I will again note I'm only halfway through P5 so this analysis may change.)

"I'm abit salty" response option gave me a good chuckle. I definitely liked Joker more than Yu. Joker had more asshole/joke responses that are right up my alley, like that one time where instead of encouraging Futaba to be go to the beach, I just said this is going to be a disaster.

dlauv

I've played this so much the Engrish sentence structuring is seeping into my essay-writing.

Edit: Other thoughts:

I'm glad they dropped the "Understanding" stat and that people typically get along with the protag's wry humor. Persona 4 really didn't like me having fun.

Dungeon
is a big step up from dungeons
4 and 5

nOoblet16

That the NG+ dungeon with the optional boss?
No the optional boss is actually in mementos, you can fight them as soon as you go to mementos in NG+ by speaking to them at the velvet room door. I assume you are asking because you are unaware and as such haven't finished the game...I'll just ask you to play through it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wait how do I not have hermit? I thought I was only missing tower.

So its the
arcade kid
and who else?

Lunar15

Mature and Dark are thrown around quite a bit, and often I think most people use them as buzzwords. Kinda gets tiring. I don't think mature is the same thing as dark, and I don't think dark means it's quality.

I think what hits harder is how relatable something is. Something doesn't always have to involve suicide or death to be relatable. Just someone struggling with a personal demon can be enough for me to connect with a piece of work.

Sölf

Okay, I am in Palace 7 now. Playtime of nearly 90 hours so far. Stuff I did yesterday and today.

- Sojiro Rank 9
- Kawakami, Ryuji, Twin Wardens Rank 10

Rank 10 Twin Wardens is an totally bonkers skill. God, I love it. Not that I had any money problems so far, nuh uh. No. Definitly not.
Oh god I have to farm Mementos for hours to buy all equipment and now also summon Persona which are higher than my level.

All other Confidants are sadly still only rank 2-4. And I definitly want to bring my party up to 10 or as high as possible, so I can get their stronger Personas. On that, what does Futaba get? Since all others get a specific skill, but she would need something different.

Also, I got pretty much every Persona up to level 40 except for the level 6 Lover (one of the Mitamas). Does anyone know how to fuse that one?

Also, one more thing. After the stuff that happened between Palace 6 and 7,
does P5 again try to actively prevent the player from getting the True Ending,
similar to what P4 did?

Top Bottom