• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

rugioh

Banned
Can someone who is at the end of the game answer a question about the romances:

Is there any difference in the potential scenes you can get if you pick one of the support characters (Becky/Chihaya/Shogi girl etc) as your main rather than one of the members in the cast (Ann/Makoto)?? No need to get too spoilery, I'm only at the 5th dungeon/September right now

It feels like it mainly because the Palace teaches you 3 new puzzles that you then have to do several times. Think of it like doing the PIN puzzles, plus 2 different puzzles . It becomes extremely tedious if you try and do it all at once with no breaks.

Fucking Christ. Thanks for the warning. Now I won't get caught off guard with the tedious length.

PK Gaming

Am I the only one who feels like MC is really shallow? Like, even Yu Narukami had more thoughts and opinions than MC in this game. I feel like the whole Joker stuff fall pretty flat because of this, cause MC feels more like a vehicle for Morgana (and side character in story parts) than an actual leader of Phantom Thieves.

I've only played up to the 4th palace, so I might feel different later on.

You only feel that way because of the anime and spinoffs that helped flesh out Narukami's character. In P4 vanilla, he was just as much of a cipher as Joker (if not more so). I mean he's certainly not a deep character, but Joker literally has internal thoughts and is waaaaaaaay more expressive than Yu was. Not to mention an actual backstory.

With respect to other characters, it's not even a contest; Joker is better since characters aren't completely dependent on him.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Am I the only one who feels like MC is really shallow? Like, even Yu Narukami had more thoughts and opinions than MC in this game. I feel like the whole Joker stuff fall pretty flat because of this, cause MC feels more like a vehicle for Morgana (and side character in story parts) than an actual leader of Phantom Thieves.

Dude, the most expressive Yu has ever gotten in-game is "Hmmm" "Mmmh" *nods*

Yu is the most stoic/swagg protagonist, so his lack of emotion only plays into his personality.

Joker's personality seems a lot more downtrodden and also, well, joke-y than previous MCs. He's actually the comedian of the group (or at least, can be), which isn't something I was ever expecting. (I will again note I'm only halfway through P5 so this analysis may change.)

Recall

I have a question about Palace 3 and its length, ill spoiler tag my question:

Ive reached the office save room after defeating what felt like a mini boss, ahead of me is an elevator. I'm low on SP, how much farther do I have to go before needing to leave to begin the calling card routine? I don't want to leave now only to find out it the leaving point was just at ahead. Thanks

Thud

Yu is the most stoic/swagg protagonist, so his lack of emotion only plays into his personality.

Joker's personality seems a lot more downtrodden and also, well, joke-y than previous MCs. He's actually the comedian of the group (or at least, can be), which isn't something I was ever expecting. (I will again note I'm only halfway through P5 so this analysis may change.)

His sarcastic tone is so good. The responses are pretty funny.

Button mash morgana all day.

asagami_

Banned

Ive reached the office save room after defeating what felt like a mini boss, ahead of me is an elevator. I'm low on SP, how much farther do I have to go before needing to leave to begin the calling card routine? I don't want to leave now only to find out it the leaving point was just at ahead. Thanks

You are already in the midpoint.

You only feel that way because of the anime and spinoffs that helped flesh out Narukami's character. In P4 vanilla, he was just as much of a cipher as Joker (if not more so). I mean he's certainly not a deep character, but Joker literally has internal thoughts and is waaaaaaaay more expressive than Yu was. Not to mention an actual backstory.

With respect to other characters, it's not even a contest; Joker is better since characters aren't completely dependent on him.
Really? Cause thus far everything that I've examined in the game, has given me some thoughts from Morgana. Like, literally everything.

Have you gotten to a vault yet? If so then you're almost there. The problem is that there are a ton of enemies and you won't have enough SP to handle it.
I had to start running from enemies to get through the last stretch.

Alavard

If you're where I think you are,
go down the elevator. It should take you to a big vault room, and there should be safe room right outside when you get out of the elevator. You still have a ways to go though (you're probably at the 75% mark). I was also low on SP when I got there, and leaving at the safe room at the bottom of the elevator was the perfect spot for me to leave. When I came back I easily finished it off in another day, but pushing to do in one day would have been quite the challenge if I had tried it

nOoblet16

You Jelly?
Time to button mash
Beep Boop
Something witty
Strip for him

There are countless of them hah

IIRC, there's a save point after the elevator. You're close, but there's a few more shadow rooms and locked doors to overcome. If you reaaallly stretch things you might be able to do it.

Edit: Whoops was really late on that one. :/

You Jelly?
Time to button mash
Beep Boop
Something witty
Strip for him

There are countless of them hah

Oh god they're allll sooo gooood.... I love it.

Something witty especially.
"I knew you'd say that." Yeah, you're right!

nOoblet16

IIRC, there's a save point after the elevator. You're close, but there's a few more shadow rooms and locked doors to overcome. If you reaaallly stretch things you might be able to do it.

Edit: Whoops was really late on that one. :/

Oh god they're allll sooo gooood.... I love it.

Something witty especially.
"I knew you'd say that." Yeah, you're right!
There was this other one where Becky asks if he is a high school student and you can choose "I'm a dad" lol

Taruranto

He's waaaay more defined than P3 and 4 MCs (Except maybe the FeMC). He's actually somewhat expressive in some CS and he has a more defined backstory.

Yes cause this is the most developed MC in a Persona game as far as personality goes.

QURtK9z.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Welp bought P4G... Persona is taking over my life.

He's waaaay more defined than P3 and 4 MCs (Except maybe the FeMC). He's actually somewhat expressive in some CS and he has a more defined backstory.
I don't know. Then maybe I'm just having a problem recognizing him as the leader cause he doesn't do anything and his opinions are completely ignored yet the game tries so hard to sell him as the leader.

Like, characters talk for 5 minutes with each other and decide everything without Joker having any sort of real input in these discussions. I realize that it was the same in Persona 4, but I feel like that game was way more smarter about it than Persona 5.

nOoblet16

Welp bought P4G... Persona is taking over my life.
But you haven't finished P5 yet have you?
I'm playing Golden right now and it's sort of boring me tbh. Also the village setting looks like absolute dog shit, no style at all. And having Jpop inspired soundtrack feels like such a mismatch.

LiK

I'm playing Golden right now and it's sort of boring me tbh. Also the village setting looks like absolute dog shit, no style at all. And having Jpop inspired soundtrack feels like such a mismatch.

Crazy talk! Take your time.

I don't know. Then maybe I'm just having a problem recognizing him as the leader cause he doesn't do anything and his opinions are completely ignored yet the game tries so hard to sell him as the leader.

Like, characters talk for 5 minutes with each other and decide everything without Joker having any sort of real input in these discussions. I realize that it was the same in Persona 4, but I feel like the game was way more smarter about it than Persona 5.
I get the same feeling, but not by a strong amount. I do wish they would go full Geralt with the MC. Let us pick dialog options throughout a conversation, but still have him saying some shit automatically. Persona MCs have been sitting in this weird place between self-insert nothingness, and fully developed characters.

FeMC is affable, cheery, and kinda naive compared to P4 or P5's MCs, with a sort of stoic resolve at her heart. She's not stonefaced like Yu, but will hold her ground more than Joker. (Haven't seen P3P's MC to compare them.)

Yu is kind of in a weird place because his whole environment is a whole lot less hopeless than P3 or P5's stories, from what I've seen. It's like a Scooby Doo mystery compared to the stuff going on in the others. P5 especially--the first two hours of the game would test Yu's limits, man...
Time to button mash is a top 5 moment for me
and I love Morgana.
:p

I'd love to see a pie chart of who chose what dialog option for that scene. I imagine button mashing is stacked.

nOoblet16

Like, characters talk for 5 minutes with each other and decide everything without Joker having any sort of real input in these discussions. I realize that it was the same in Persona 4, but I feel like the game was way more smarter about it than Persona 5.
That's cause he is a leader but not so much that the team can't even breathe without him. I'll give you an example of how bad it was in P4, the first time you get access to controlling Yosoke Teddie says "You are good, you should tell others what to do" to which Yosoke says "Oh just tell me what to do because I'm bad at this". Then Chie says the same stuff. Like come on !

As the story develops you'll realise how much he picks up on things and plans ahead, then you'll also get to see how the team can function and do things without him as well.

nOoblet16

Crazy talk! Take your time.
Fuck country side though. It's only good for spending a weekend, not a 100 hour game.

I really wish P3:FES was available to play on PS4 or Vita. Sony started to meddle with high Res PS2 emulation on PS4 but then gave up, would have been amazing to play P3:FES in HD on PS4.

HMD

The setting isn't as exciting as P5 but it starts feeling like home after a while, I can't say the same thing for P5.

One thing I'm wondering *Lovers Confidant Spoilers*
Was Mika originally supposed to be a target/confidant/story-role character, since it's pretty random that she is the only confidant exclusive character to have a portrait.

PK Gaming

Yep. Persona 2 hasn't aged well but Maya is still the best. All the other protagonists pale in comparison.

Maya's great, but she isn't even the central character to her own game (It's Tatsuya). In terms of writing, he's still number 1 imo.

As an aside, her being a silent protagonist in EP was the dumbest thing. I get they wanted to follow tradition but...

Top Bottom