• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Humdinger

I think that should be worth it. As an introvert myself I can't really relate to your problem but it's interesting to read about it and in a way it does make a lot of sense. I guess the way we perceive these in-game interactions changes everything.

And I was in no way trying to sound dismissive in my previous reply btw. It just pains me to read people forcing themselves to enjoy stuff, and P5 in particular is a game that demands a lot, so I could see how annoying it could be for you.

Oh, okay, thanks for saying that, appreciate it.

And I don't mean to be dismissive of the game, either. I stuck with it for 50 hours because I found a lot to like. I liked the characters; I liked talking with them (to a point, lol); the game did a nice job of introducing some pretty mature themes. The art style was fantastic. There was so much inventiveness in the castles/dungeons and the bosses. There was so much creativity that went into the game. I really admire it in many ways. That's why I stuck with it for so long.

In the end, it wasn't for me, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate what it offers to other people. I'm glad people are enjoying it. I'm proud that a game that is so unusual and creative is part of our PS4 catalog. I was just chiming in with my two cents about what ultimately stopped me. But I don't mean to seem negative. The game has a lot to recommend it, for sure.

I'm in the lategame in NG+ now and replaying this game has reaffirmed just how awful Mementos is. I groan in agony every time I enter it. It's a huge blemish on this near perfect game.

If there's anything they need to overhaul in the remake, it's Mementos.

Curufinwe

I always enjoyed going to Mementos. It's a random dungeon that's easy to get thru quickly and make progress in. And it's a nice throwback to Tartarus without the exaggerated length and difficulty, and the pain in the ass requests that had you roaming around floors hoping to find the shadow or item you needed to make Elizabeth happy.

Plum

I have to voice how absolutely terrible
Okumura's
palace is. My God, it's such a drop in quality from the rest of the game design wise.

I'm currently playing through it
(just finished the Barracks)
and I'm using a guide as I heard the palace was horrible. Would rather not bother with any obtuse puzzles or enemy bullshit if I don't have to. Also have despair resist gear on the MC because I heard that would become an issue.

I'm an idiot.

I didn't realize that i you release a persona as soon as you capture it, it doesn't register for later.

Time to farm up some rare treasure personas in momentos i suppose.

Can anyone link me a good build for
Satanael
? I've already got a good gun attacker and an almighty and curse. I'm thinking of something super tanky to fall back on when things get deadly.

Can anyone link me a good build for
Satanael
? I've already got a good gun attacker and an almighty and curse. I'm thinking of something super tanky to fall back on when things get deadly.

He's well suited to Firm Stance builds since he has no weaknesses and can't be insta-Killed. I'd put Unshaken Will on him too. If you're planning to use him to make your party tanky too, Ali Dance will greatly boost their evasion chance by halving enemy accuracy (though it won't help you if you have Firm Stance).

If you're planning to fight the bonus boss Apt Pupil might be a good idea too.

Gbraga

I'm convinced that Palace 7 is infinite. It will never ever end, and I'm stuck here forever.

Someone just kill me, please.

I'm convinced that Palace 7 is infinite. It will never ever end, and I'm stuck here forever.

Someone just kill me, please.

Palace 5 always felt like the longer one to me, for some reason.
My ad-mice is to pro-squeek at your own pace. Change it up, do something else in the game.

I'm in the lategame in NG+ now and replaying this game has reaffirmed just how awful Mementos is. I groan in agony every time I enter it. It's a huge blemish on this near perfect game.

I like Mementos in theory as this nice optional thing but I really dislike it tonally and how it's implemented. The place is very creepy in appearance and even thematically. It's a seemingly endless subway line that seems to continue deeper and deeper underground into darkness. There is also an immensely dangerous monster that will show up and hunt you down if you wait around too long. Not to mention the imagery of
people continuing to get on subways to travel to parts unknown within Mementos darkest depths.

The area should be creepy, unsettling and mysterious in tone like Tartarus. Instead its super goofy with it's odd jaunty mello theme that got on my nerves, you driving around a goofy cartoon cat van like your the Scooby Doo gang and everyone being goofy and having a good time.

Would have been the perfect place for a darker shift in tone and to foreshadow
just how serious the mysterious goings on with the metaverse are.

I don't mean to be an ass, but can someone explain what the problem with the mouse puzzles was? Sneaking around enemies as a mouse was so easy that it was mostly just a matter of picking a direction, walking until you hit a locked door, and then looking for a small vent to squeeksneak through. I get the argument for tedious--even though I didn't mind them--but enough of a drag to kill your enjoyment?

I don't want the game to end, I could do this phantom thieve thing forever, I just really love the concept. Seeing the way the public reacts to our actions as the stakes become higher with each case is really cool.
It's funny; before the game released, I was totally fine with the Phantom Thief theme being mostly window dressing for some good ol' Persona gameplay. After Palace 2 though, I'm disappointed they didn't play that angle up more. It was a little thing, but the treasure room of that Palace was so cool, all the other ones seem kinda disappointing in comparison.

December question:
Are there any free days after the palace deadline?
Right now I have 7 days left, and need 8 rank-ups from night confidants for the last 3 Mementos requests (plus 1 day to complete them). I'd like to knock out the mementos requests trophy now if possible, but I'll just hurry through to NG+ if there isn't enough time.

PK Gaming

I don't mean to be an ass, but can someone explain what the problem with the mouse puzzles was? Sneaking around enemies as a mouse was so easy that it was mostly just a matter of picking a direction, walking until you hit a locked door, and then looking for a small vent to squeeksneak through. I get the argument for tedious--even though I didn't mind them--but enough of a drag to kill your enjoyment?

It wasn't too bad the first time. And the 2nd time. But once you do it for the 3rd time, you're like "oh so it's like that, Atlus." Some of the reactions to it have definitely been disproportionate though, I agree (I've seen folks legit quit over this one puzzle haha).

Menthuss

Sigh. RNG decided to screw me over during an encounter. Boss-type mook does a multi-hit attack, MC takes full damage. Then one of his ads does the same and MC goes down: Game Over. Nothing I could have done. An hour worth of progress gone.

I'm seriously considering selling the game at this point tbh. The gameplay is just blitz or get blitzed and the story stopped interesting me a while ago.

I'm at
Okamura's
palace right now. Does the plot actually get better after this?

Sigh. RNG decided to screw me over during an encounter. Boss-type mook does a multi-hit attack, MC takes full damage. Then one of his ads does the same and MC goes down: Game Over. Nothing I could have done. An hour worth of progress gone.

I'm seriously considering selling the game at this point tbh. The gameplay is just blitz or get blitzed and the story stopped interesting me a while ago.

I'm at
Okamura's

The plot does, the gameplay doesn't.

I'm at
Okamura's

Nothing you could have done?

Did you have defence and evasion buffs on your party and attack and accuracy debuffs on the enemy?
Have you levelled up your party member confidants for the protection abilities?
Could you use a Persona with Null Physical?

There's plenty of ways to prepare yourself for battles like that, if you want to play sloppy just turn it down to Easy or even Safety.

Menthuss

Did you have defence and evasion buffs on your party and attack and accuracy debuffs on the enemy?

There's plenty of ways to prepare yourself for battles like that, if you want to play sloppy just turn it down to Easy or even Safety.

I had not fought this enemy before so I had no idea what their attacks were. I also got to command only 1 party member before the enemies combo'd me. So no, there wasn't really anything I could've done.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'm not sure I get the problem with Mementos. You don't have to go in that often, and it doesn't take long to get through a new block - fully exploring a floor, fighting every shadow you come across, doesn't take more than 10 minutes, if that. If anything, I thought the floors were too small.

It's really lazy that the music doesn't change, but that is about the only complaint I have.

Mind you, I didn't hate Tartarus, so maybe I'm weird.

Finished the game earlier today took me about 92 hours. Great game, I really liked the cast they are as good as part 4. Part 3 was trash IMO. Dragged on a bit towards the end and some bad dungeon design IMO from 5th and onward. But final rating 9/10. Not as good as 4 but Miles better than 3. Won't compare it with 1,2 because they are a bit different that modern persona games (IMO from 3 and onward).

broz0rs

Just bought this game, have never played one of these before so does anyone have any tips, tricks, etc?

Also, are any of the DLC Personas worth it?

this was my first Persona game as well. Just play the way you want, and don't worry about trying to get a perfect run through cause there's a lot of stuff to do in the game. I'd recommend working on leveling up your confidants, and if they're not available work on your social stats.

Just bought this game, have never played one of these before so does anyone have any tips, tricks, etc?

Also, are any of the DLC Personas worth it?

All of them are OP to some extent because they can be summoned as soon as you have access to the Velvet Room at no cost.

Kaguya in particular is extremely powerful when properly built. Probably one of the most powerful persona, period. He unique skill is completely broken. She's a Bless version of Yoshitsune.

Thanatos is worth it by virtue of being the coolest Persona the series has ever produced on that factor alone. I have a pretty good gun build for him.

Messiah is good because he learns Almighty Boost naturally so that's a bit less RNG needed at the Network Fusion if you're trying to make super powerful Persona.

Honestly I got all of them because it's nice to have Persona that don't look like ass. I know some people are going to disagree with me, but one of my biggest complaints about the series is the fact that very few of the Personas / Demons have appealing designs. The style of Persona like the Starting Persona and your Party's personas are always way cooler. I mean who wants to play with this?

Saki-Mitama.png

IKizzLE

The only way to know all this stuff is to be using a guide while playing the game. If you enter a new palace and fight a new enemy where you don't know any of the moves, you could easily be fucked.

For example, in that same weak ass palace (easily the worst in the game) I had attack and accuracy buffs on myself and null physical but had no clue that I could be OHKO'd by fear/despair then Ghastly.

Shit like this happens constantly in the game. Getting killed by unknown shit or getting caught in an inescapable loop that leads to death. I can understand the frustration from people, especially when save joints are spread a part and you could lose significant progress.

IKizzLE

I'm not sure I get the problem with Mementos. You don't have to go in that often, and it doesn't take long to get through a new block - fully exploring a floor, fighting every shadow you come across, doesn't take more than 10 minutes, if that. If anything, I thought the floors were too small.

It's really lazy that the music doesn't change, but that is about the only complaint I have.

Mind you, I didn't hate Tartarus, so maybe I'm weird.

Mementos reminds me of BloodBorne Chalice Dungeons.
An ugly, grindy, repetitive dungeon put in place to pad content. Wholly unnecessary.

this was my first Persona game as well. Just play the way you want, and don't worry about trying to get a perfect run through cause there's a lot of stuff to do in the game. I'd recommend working on leveling up your confidants, and if they're not available work on your social stats.
Will do, thank you.

All of them are OP to some extent because they can be summoned as soon as you have access to the Velvet Room at no cost.

Kaguya in particular is extremely powerful when properly built. Probably one of the most powerful persona, period. He unique skill is completely broken. She's a Bless version of Yoshitsune.

Thanatos is worth it by virtue of being the coolest Persona the series has ever produced on that factor alone. I have a pretty good gun build for him.

Messiah is good because he learns Almighty Boost naturally so that's a bit less RNG needed at the Network Fusion if you're trying to make super powerful Persona.

Honestly I got all of them because it's nice to have Persona that don't look like ass. I know some people are going to disagree with me, but one of my biggest complaints about the series is the fact that very few of the Personas / Demons have appealing designs. The style of Persona like the Starting Persona and your Party's personas are always way cooler. I mean who wants to play with this?
Yeah they seem pretty cool, it's just that the game isn't cheap itself and adding an extra £23 for Personas seems a bit steep.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
It serves a number of practical purposes though. As well as being a way to level up and make money, it gives you the chance to capture any personas you may have missed from a palace once it has collapsed, as well as being the only way to catch others.

The requests tie into the social links, and it's existence as 'the public's palace' comes into play with the story at the close of the game.

Not what I'd call unnecessary.

Will do, thank you.

Yeah they seem pretty cool, it's just that the game isn't cheap itself and adding an extra £23 for Personas seems a bit steep.

Yeah. They're not necessary by any means and they will completely throw the game's balance out of whack if you're using them in content they're over leveled for. I think the lowest level one is level 16 and Messiah Picaro is level 90. They're nice. Not necessary by any means.

Game is fucking good so far, thank god. I was a little worried it couldn't possibly live up to my hype but it's doing really well. I'm so glad they sped the intro up a tad compared to P4. That game started just painfully slow.

I loved Tartarus in P3 but really disliked Mementos. Unlike Tartarus, the blocks in Mementos never really evolve into anything special... and the music is one of the most repetitive tracks I ever had to listen to. Considering the aesthetic quality of the Palaces and soundtrack overall, I have to wonder WTF happened here.

Gbraga

If you're far enough through for the despair to set in, you're actually close to the end.

Yisss! I'll finish it tonight then, for sure.

*squeek!*

Kill me.

How many
mouse puzzles
have you gone through

I don't even remember, to be honest. 3? 4? I don't know.

Palace 5 always felt like the longer one to me, for some reason.
My ad-mice is to pro-squeek at your own pace. Change it up, do something else in the game.

It probably is, I guess it's just the amount of time I've put into the game making every Palace feel longer than it is. I'm just ready for the conclusion at this point.

I don't mind them that much, I actually think the level design in these areas has been quite good, it just has the same issues as most palaces, it drags on and on, they keep repeating the same idea/gimmick/puzzle until I can't stand it anymore.

They manage to make my impression go from the initial "damn, this Palace 4 is really good, these outside parts remind me of P3, this is cool as hell" to "ENOOOOOOOOOUGH". This game is absolutely incapable of letting go. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing, after all.

I loved Tartarus in P3 but really disliked Mementos. Unlike Tartarus, the blocks in Mementos never really evolve into anything special... and the music is one of the most repetitive tracks I ever had to listen to. Considering the aesthetic quality of the Palaces and soundtrack overall, I have to wonder WTF happened here.

The music is garbage, indeed. But I honestly have more fun in Mementos than the palaces, overall.

If I died in that palace, I would've been extremely pissed.

Oh God, I can't even imagine.

It's the first time I'm running from enemies and battles, I just want to get to the next safe room and end my session.

Chorazin

I have zero issue with Mementos. I was almost always over-leveled when I finally went in to do missions during downtime between Palaces, and already knowing the weaknesses of a lot of the Persona made it a breeze to get through. I liked the banter while driving around a lot too.

muteki

I'd love Mementos if only it had a more varied soundtrack. It is like Tartarus but in reverse.

The extra bosses were a bit of a disappointment though, remember them being pretty difficult in P4G.

Yeah. They're not necessary by any means and they will completely throw the game's balance out of whack if you're using them in content they're over leveled for. I think the lowest level one is level 16 and Messiah Picaro is level 90. They're nice. Not necessary by any means.
I guess I should just play the game a bit and then decide if any of them look cool. Thanks.

Been farming for a Crystal Skull Treasure Demon for two hours now. Met ONE. Couldn't get a crit (forgot Joker's special down shot skill) and now in the 13th Sheriruth level, I find only Hope Diamond and Emperor's Amulet.

I'm at a loss... i need it to complete the Personadex and get the Platinum.

LiK

Been farming for a Crystal Skull Treasure Demon for two hours now. Met ONE. Couldn't get a crit (forgot Joker's special down shot skill) and now in the 13th Sheriruth level, I find only Hope Diamond and Emperor's Amulet.

I'm at a loss... i need it to complete the Personadex and get the Platinum.

Use the Treasure Trap if you have some.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I feel like Palace
seven
is probably the worst of the bunch so far. Just endless slogs through
shitty hallways and doors that are locked from the other side
. IMO Palace 3 was the best one, and all the ones after that have been a steady decline in quality except for the
Casino

I used a Treasure Trap on the latest palace and must've run into the same treasure demon like four times. I had to keep going back to the Velvet room to use it, because I didn't want to meet one and have it get away because it was already in my inventory.

I don't think it happened in this palace, but I remember one time I ran into a treasure demon and
Futaba's Position Hack kicked in for an instant capture
. That moment was *kisses fingertips*.

It doesn't let me.

And I find lots of treasure demons, just not the crystal skull one

You have to be in a dungeon level to use dungeon items (so you can't be in the start/rest/end areas.

Also are you looking in the right place ?
Crystal Skull only spawns on the lower sections of the post-Palace 6 Mementos areas after you've stolen the heart in Palace 7.

You can also Cheat: Find a treasure demon attack it, run if it's the wrong one. When you fight another enemy the treasure demon will respawn and it's content will be rerandomizes. That's how I found the 2nd last one.

I have zero issue with Mementos. I was almost always over-leveled when I finally went in to do missions during downtime between Palaces, and already knowing the weaknesses of a lot of the Persona made it a breeze to get through. I liked the banter while driving around a lot too.
Difficulty was nevery really a problem for me, either... and I always appreciated the banter (too bad it keeps getting cut off every time I do something, though). Better music variety could have gone a long way to help break up the monotony, at the very least.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I see Mementos as pretty much bonus content. It's like "hey, we gave you real dungeons in this game, but we still have the Tartarus system lying around, so we'll just throw it in here."

Using it to resolve small side stories/minor offenders is a nice touch.

I'm currently playing through it
(just finished the Barracks)
and I'm using a guide as I heard the palace was horrible. Would rather not bother with any obtuse puzzles or enemy bullshit if I don't have to. Also have despair resist gear on the MC because I heard that would become an issue.

You literally took the words right out of my mouth. The puzzles in this dungeon are obtuse as fuck. I still don't understand what the hell I was doing. Legit, I died at one point and had to redo the
air lock
puzzles. I did it the EXACT same way as before and it didn't work the same way. The enemy selection is by far the most obnoxious of all the dungeons. Idk if this was an intention difficulty spike or what. Also, earlier having to
find the shift manager and backtrack so much
was also terrible.

Top Bottom