• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Well, just finished P5 up, clocked about 98hrs so just about under 100hrs, was able to max out all party member confidants w/ exception of Empress, got to level 9.

End game spoilers ahead, might've been answered already?
- So was evil/fake Igor some god or something? I still don't really understand? Was it ever hinted at throughout the game? (I honestly thought the twist was kind of lame tbh...)
- I knew something was going to happen after you max out the Strength confidant and Caroline / Justine vaguely hinting at stuff but didn't see this coming.
- So Goro was pretty much Shido's puppet throughout? His reveal that he was the black mask going into Palaces and killing people was a bit too predictable.
- How does evil Igor tie into the games central theme of "Freeing yourself of emancipation"? It's not like he represents the crappy adults of the real world?
- Not bagging on the game or anything, just felt mixed and rushed towards the end...

Overall my rank still stays the same, 3>4>5
Will probably due a NG+ run sometime down the road.

Eklesp

Feel like I had been doing pretty good, then the first battle with Makoto, ugh, so hard. Just playing on norm, i must be terrible.

Opa-Pa

Well, just finished P5 up, clocked about 98hrs so just about under 100hrs, was able to max out all party member confidants w/ exception of Empress, got to level 9.

End game spoilers ahead, might've been answered already?
- So was evil/fake Igor some god or something? I still don't really understand? Was it ever hinted at throughout the game? (I honestly thought the twist was kind of lame tbh...)
- I knew something was going to happen after you max out the Strength confidant and Caroline / Justine vaguely hinting at stuff but didn't see this coming.
- So Goro was pretty much Shido's puppet throughout? His reveal that he was the black mask going into Palaces and killing people was a bit too predictable.
- How does evil Igor tie into the games central theme of "Freeing yourself of emancipation"? It's not like he represents the crappy adults of the real world?
- Not bagging on the game or anything, just felt mixed and rushed towards the end...

Overall my rank still stays the same, 3>4>5
Will probably due a NG+ run sometime down the road.

-Yeah, fake Igor was Yaldabaoth, a god who's also the holy grail, an entity that embodies humans' wishes to be guided so they don't have to think for themselves. Him not being the real Igor is subtly hinted with stuff like his new voice being radically different, him calling it /his/ Velvet Room when welcoming you, Justine and Caroline being the ones performing fusions instead of him like in previous games, and him not handing you the key to your room inside like in previous games.

But yeah the whole deity part still felt shoehorned to me even though I knew there was something fishy about him

-Akechi was indeed Shido's puppet. He planned on getting back at him once Shido acknowledged him, but it never happened

-I guess fake Igor represents the enslavement of human kind, and technically you're his puppet (as was Akechi, but were given personas by him to have them be part of his game), so basically killing him grants you and the world true freedom of choice

(Someone please correct me if I got one of these wrong. This is all just my own interpretation).

ShadyK54

Just started. Sojiro Sakura is such a douchebag lmao

laughing-gifs-jonah-jameson.gif

You'll learn soon enough, Sojiro's great.

laughing-gifs-jonah-jameson.gif

You'll learn soon enough, Sojiro's great.

Yep, I popped into this thread just to say that Sojiro is the fucking best. What a great character. I love the slow growth as you begins to learn more about him and he begins to trust you. The gradual uncovering of the kindness behind his rough exterior and then all the stuff with Wakaba and Futaba...love him, one of the best characters in the game.

Just started. Sojiro Sakura is such a douchebag lmao

Get ready to have your heart stolen

JBwB

Feel like I had been doing pretty good, then the first battle with Makoto, ugh, so hard. Just playing on norm, i must be terrible.

Are you underleveled? You can check the average level of other players at that time by clicking the touchpad.

vareon

Damn, any help on getting the Competent Negotiator trophy? I tried getting one in the first Palace with Revolution skill but the enemies keep attacking MC for like an hour.

Eklesp

Are you underleveled? You can check the average level of other players at that time by clicking the touchpad.

Good idea, I'll check that. Have been on the same level as others previously. Have not really been doing momentos though.

Kalentan

That feeling when you begin NG+, get to the first point you can summon Personas from the bank, summon a level 70 one and begin to one shot everything with your basic attack.

AGHHHHHHH BRILLIANT game is now over and i'm sad. As such... I need to get over some depression that a 2nd playthrough wont be the same haha. Ah, what can we do... all great games come to an end.

Completion time: 108 hours and 47 minutes. I dont think I have ever played such a long game in my life. Anyway, I got a trophy to
see the ending. Is that not the true ending? Did I fuck up somewhere?

ENDING SPOILERS BELOW!!!!!!!

OKay so I got the ending where Joker goes home. After killing the controller god final boss I had scenes that included an option to turn Joker in to the police. I did that for Sae and eventually I was free. I spent time with Ann who was my partner because I was late on maxing Makoto (rank 9 damn it!) I think I even like her better so it sucks even more. So after that there were scenes playing where I got to say goodbye to Sae and presumably only maxed confidants. I did that... explored everywhere and couldn't find anyone but my maxed confidants. So I assume I got the true and correct ending to the game. Did I though? I just really wish we knew where the group was going since they didn't say they were taking Joker home. That new adventure trophy tease ;_;

Final boss spoilers

Hmmm, I killed it first try. It's just an extremely long battle but it seemed a little easy compared to enemies I was facing in the last zone. It took a long time to kill it though. A long time..

Now that I finished... I really want to Plat this sometime soon. What exactly carries over besides confidant ranks?

0gEDnAl.png

Took me 166 hours.

2 playthroughs : first took 110 hours, second took halft of that haha, skipped most conversations.

Game is truly amazing. I still discover things (I catch only too late that you could itemized personas to get AMAZING weapons and guns... Holy shit the Judge of the Dead gun for makoto, 380 dmg, all stats + 10, or Nataraja for MC, + 5 all stats, with Roland's Medal that's +15 all stats lol)

Biggest grind was for the last treasure demon, that sucker the Crystall Skull took 3 hours to spawn lol. Everything else went smoothly.

Game definitely felt rushed pacing and story wise in the true ending... It just comes out of... nowhere really and even the ending feels so rushed compared to how fleshed out P4G was.

AGHHHHHHH BRILLIANT game is now over and i'm sad. As such... I need to get over some depression that a 2nd playthrough wont be the same haha. Ah, what can we do... all great games come to an end.

Completion time: 108 hours and 47 minutes. I dont think I have ever played such a long game in my life. Anyway, I got a trophy to

OKay so I got the ending where Joker goes home. After killing the controller god final boss I had scenes that included an option to turn Joker in to the police. I did that for Sae and eventually I was free. I spent time with Ann who was my partner because I was late on maxing Makoto (rank 9 damn it!) I think I even like her better so it sucks even more. So after that there were scenes playing where I got to say goodbye to Sae and presumably only maxed confidants. I did that... explored everywhere and couldn't find anyone but my maxed confidants. So I assume I got the true and correct ending to the game. Did I though? I just really wish we knew where the group was going since they didn't say they were taking Joker home. That new adventure trophy tease ;_;

Final boss spoilers

Hmmm, I killed it first try. It's just an extremely long battle but it seemed a little easy compared to enemies I was facing in the last zone. It took a long time to kill it though. A long time..

Now that I finished... I really want to Plat this sometime soon. What exactly carries over besides confidant ranks?

I know how you feel, but that's the end of the game right there already.
And i didn't want it to end either.

For carry over bonuses,
Money, compendium, equipment only (no consumables), the bonuses from the max confidant items (rank does not carry over), skill cards, select key items (the fishing rod and items that let you fuse specific personas.)

Speaking of the ending, the p5 ending song
Hoshi To Bokura To/The Stars and Us
is the best persona ending theme. Yes, even better than Memories of You.

Final boss spoilers

Confidant ranks do not carry over
All Items, money, social stats, compendium do carry over.

meaning NG+ is really easy as you can rush super easily all dungeons because all your party got OP weapons and Joker can have a level 99 persona for the first dungeon and one shot many enemies even the first bosses.

Some confidant benefits do carry over though via key items you get for having maxed them. As do key items that unlock Persona and upgraded fishing rods. And all equipment but not consumable items or room decorations or books.

And if you romanced someone you get an item from whoever you spent Christmas that causes them to rank up faster by increasing the matching arcana bonus.

Menitta

Normally I don't buy themes and avatar packs, but A. I put almost 200 hours into this game and B. The themes are so amazing, so I bought 3 of them as like a tip jar. Bought Makoto's, Futaba's and
Akechi's.
Makoto's theme plays instrumental Beneath the Mask. It's the best.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Wow, after 143 hours, I finally finished Persona 5 last night. While I still can't quite figure if I liked it more than P4 or not, I can without a doubt say that it is absolutely the best game I've thus played all year.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Speaking of the ending, the p5 ending song
Hoshi To Bokura To/The Stars and Us
is the best persona ending theme. Yes, even better than Memories of You.
I'll need a little more time for it to sink in for me.

At the moment it's: Nevermore > Memories of You > P5 ending theme

Again, this will likely change over time. I think it's because it didn't quite feel as powerful as the others as it did not feature a melody previously heard in the game like the other ones.

Menitta

Again, this will likely change over time. I think it's because it didn't quite feel as powerful as the others as it did not feature a melody previously heard in the game like the other ones.

I felt the same way after the first time I beat it. Like "this is good but it's no Nevermore". Then once I beat NG+ that it opinion changed. It's at least on par with Nevermore IMO. Each to their own though.

Plum

Just about to head into Palace 6.
Was not expecting Sae to have her own palace. Hopefully this isn't as long or SP-draining as 5 was.

Palace 7:
Got spoiled that Shido was the last palace. Can't say I'm surprised, his first appearance pretty much said "you will steal this guy's heart."

Plum

Also, is there any point in having a healer late game when amazing healing items are so cheap and plentiful? Morgana's Miracle Punch skill is practically all I used him for in Palace 5.

It uses the same melody as the track that plays when party members get upgraded personas.

Opa-Pa

It uses the same melody as the track that plays when party members get upgraded personas.

It's also part of
the final boss track once you have Satanael.

Still I'll agree that it's simply not as strong as the previous two. It's a shame they wasted the title screen music with such a whatever track because it could have been better and then be used as base for the ending theme.

-Yeah, fake Igor was Yaldabaoth, a god who's also the holy grail, an entity that embodies humans' wishes to be guided so they don't have to think for themselves. Him not being the real Igor is subtly hinted with stuff like his new voice being radically different, him calling it /his/ Velvet Room when welcoming you, Justine and Caroline being the ones performing fusions instead of him like in previous games, and him not handing you the key to your room inside like in previous games.

But yeah the whole deity part still felt shoehorned to me even though I knew there was something fishy about him

-Akechi was indeed Shido's puppet. He planned on getting back at him once Shido acknowledged him, but it never happened

-I guess fake Igor represents the enslavement of human kind, and technically you're his puppet (as was Akechi, but were given personas by him to have them be part of his game), so basically killing him grants you and the world true freedom of choice

(Someone please correct me if I got one of these wrong. This is all just my own interpretation).

So basically it was like:
- If people desire it enough it will come to fruition, or something like that and that's how Fake Igor came to be?
- So Akechi basically boiled down to he had Daddy issues's. Can't see why anyone likes his character? He's like Mitsuru/Yukari but less fleshed out and his character arc is extremely predictable.
- In the end I'm not sure I like how the "Crappy adults of the world are rotten" take a back seat towards the feelings of society can bring despair to all. It kinda has no purpose at all unless I'm missing something...

marmoka

Banned
Well,... I finally finished the game after 81 hours,... With the bad ending...

Is there a chance to continue the game to the good ending without doing so many hours again? Credits are displaying now.

Damm, something from the very beginning told me not to trust Aketsi

Edit:

So I didn't overwrite my last save, and saved in another slot for new game. The old kept intact.

I could make my fate change and continue with the true ending. It seems the game is not over yet. There are still many hours left apparently, haha.

But it does, it's a reprise of
Swear to my Bones
which was a pretty great track by itself. You hear it at several key moments (ENDGAME SPOILERS),
when you name your group, when you awaken the 2nd personas, at the velvet room when rescuing the team, and best of all, when you shoot a god in the fucking face.

Still I'll agree that it's simply not as strong as the previous two. It's a shame they wasted the title screen music with such a whatever track because it could have been better and then be used as base for the ending theme.

I'll fight this opinion, P5's ending theme is the most affecting and melancholic of the 3 songs.
But I am still sorely disappointed we did not get a reprise of wake up get up get out there for the final boss, which would have been the perfect cap on the game.

Sayad

Biggest grind was for the last treasure demon, that sucker the Crystall Skull took 3 hours to spawn lol. Everything else went smoothly.

It's amazing how much people grind for this considering you can:
- find a crystal demon
- attack it
- if it's not the crystal demon you want just run
- start a battle with any random enemy in the area and run
- go back to where the crystal demon was now that it re-spawned and repeat

Took less than 10 minutes. :D

So wondering how much I have left of the game

Palace
7, just about to send the calling card, akechi just died, I'm as far in mementos as I can at the moment so I'm guessing I will have to send the card and the be forced to get further in it later

Well,... I finally finished the game after 81 hours,... With the bad ending...

Is there a chance to continue the game to the good ending without doing so many hours again? Credits are displaying now.

Damm, something from the very beginning told me not to trust Aketsi

Edit:

So I didn't overwrite my last save, and saved in another slot for new game. The old kept intact.

I could make my fate change and continue with the true ending. It seems the game is not over yet. There are still many hours left apparently, haha.

I'm pretty sure you can reload your save. However, I did get caught into the bad end as well at first. I know you get a save at the police station kept if you dont save over as the bad ending.

edit: looks like you're fine!

NESpowerhouse

But it does, it's a reprise of
Swear to my Bones
which was a pretty great track by itself. You hear it at several key moments (ENDGAME SPOILERS),
when you name your group, when you awaken the 2nd personas, at the velvet room when rescuing the team, and best of all, when you shoot a god in the fucking face.

I'll fight this opinion, P5's ending theme is the most affecting and melancholic of the 3 songs.
But I am still sorely disappointed we did not get a reprise of wake up get up get out there for the final boss, which would have been the perfect cap on the game.
Oh shoot, you guys are right. I knew it probably was a reprise of a separate theme in the game, but I just couldn't quite put my finger on it unlike the previous two games where it was immediately obvious which tracks the melodies were from.

marmoka

Banned
I'm pretty sure you can reload your save. However, I did get caught into the bad end as well at first. I know you get a save at the police station kept if you dont save over as the bad ending.

edit: looks like you're fine!

Well, we already know what happens with the bad ending, we don't need to replay the game to fail on purpose and discover it, haha.

How long is the 6th palace? I got really burned out by the 5th palace, so I'm trying to decide if I want to actually tackle palace 6 this weekend or if I need to take a break...

Menitta

How long is the 6th palace? I got really burned out by the 5th palace, so I'm trying to decide if I want to actually tackle palace 6 this weekend or if I need to take a break...

It's about as long as the 5th IIRC, but it's not nearly as tedious. Its structured in a way to not feel as repetitive. I think it's one of the better palaces whereas the 5th is one of the worst palaces IMO.

Edit: now that I think about it, 6 is shorter.

Kazzy

Game definitely felt rushed pacing and story wise in the true ending... It just comes out of... nowhere really and even the ending feels so rushed compared to how fleshed out P4G was.

Well, to be fair, P4G had two releases to iterate on that. The vanilla version had similar pacing problems, with the final act being completely misjudged.

As for P5, I can't really say for certain, still working towards it...

It's about as long as the 5th IIRC, but it's not nearly as tedious. Its structured in a way to not feel as repetitive. I think it's one of the better palaces whereas the 5th is one of the worst palaces IMO.

Edit: now that I think about it, 6 is shorter.

Good to know, thanks. Yeah, the 5th palace was the most irritated I've been at this game. It looked cool and had good music, but it was just bad mechanic after bad mechanic...

I think I might take a break for a few days regardless, but will come back to finish Palace 6 soon.

It's amazing how much people grind for this considering you can:
- find a crystal demon
- attack it
- if it's not the crystal demon you want just run
- start a battle with any random enemy in the area and run
- go back to where the crystal demon was now that it re-spawned and repeat

Took less than 10 minutes. :D

I'm guilty of failing to do this for about an hour, until I remembered that I did the escape/repeat trick when grinding to 99 against the Reaper.

I felt pretty stupid afterwards.

Finished! Wow the ending credits music is so great. The entire soundtrack was so great. If I try hard to not be blinded by nostalgia this was my favourite/the best persona game.

New game plus time! Already can't wait for persona 6.

ckohler

Finished! Wow the ending credits music is so great. The entire soundtrack was so great. If I try hard to not be blinded by nostalgia this was my favourite/the best persona game.

I totally agree. I don't see enough praise for the credits. So well done. I get a bit chocked up when I listen or watch them again.

New game plus time! Already can't wait for persona 6.
I started my NG+ a week ago and I'm only at the third palace. Trying REALLY hard to get the Platinum this time.

Top Bottom