• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Damm, I'm just heading into Palace 5 and some of these last comments are not very inspiring. Is it anyone that found it good?

Palace 1, 2 and 3 were all great. 4 was nice too but I found it quite short compared to the others. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be number 2, mainly because of it's structure and gameplay situations, but also
that break that happens at the middle
was quite convenient in terms of resource management. For palace 1 since I still was getting a grasp of the mechanics I took a few more days than actually needed, and for palace 3, since I was so determined to finish it in one day, I was actually begging for SP at the end.

Either way I'm confident the gameplay can maintain this excellent level. Story has been awesome so far as well, nothing to criticize there for me.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I thought that palace was okay. Middle of the road in terms of palaces that I've done so far. It was unusual in that it was SP intensive because of the enemy types you faced, and the navigation was kind of obtuse but not terrible imo. The music and setting was fucking awesome though.

The
airlock puzzles
were confusing because by the end of it, there were
three sets of locks that you had to worry about.

Red airlocks that had alpha/omega switches.
Blue airlocks that had alpha/omega switches.
A set of green airlocks that toggled on and off between a set of "on" airlocks and "off" airlocks as you went through them.

So the puzzle near the end of the dungeon wanted you to go through the green airlocks strategically to open up a green airlock at the end of the area, then use the red/blue alpha/omega switches to open up a path that let you go to the room that had that green airlock WITHOUT using any green airlocks along the way.

muteki

Damm, I'm just heading into Palace 5 and some of these last comments are not very inspiring. Is it anyone that found it good?

Palace 1, 2 and 3 were all great. 4 was nice too but I found it quite short compared to the others. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be number 2, mainly because of it's structure and gameplay situations, but also
was quite convenient in terms of resource management. For palace 1 since I still was getting a grasp of the mechanics I took a few more days than actually needed, and for palace 3, since I was so determined to finish it in one day, I was actually begging for SP at the end.

Either way I'm confident the gameplay can maintain this excellent level. Story has been awesome so far as well, nothing to criticize there for me.

I actually quite like Palace 5, I didn't find it too long or difficult really. Some of the views are great.

In general though when it comes to layout and uniqueness I feel like the game peaked at Palace 1 and subsequent ones got more and more repetitive with more asset reuse.

Eridani

I liked palace 5 a lot actually. It provides a good challenge, contains one of the few puzzles in the game that actually requires some thought and has one of the best boss fights in the game.

Then I came into this thread and saw that everyone seems to hate it for some reason.

Lunar15

5 is just kinda long and the enemies start having slightly more annoying abilities/resistances. There's also a weird amount of backtracking through long, open sections.

My suggestion is just take your time. Morgana will constantly tell you that the treasure is "right behind" the next door, but there's about four "major" sections to the entire dungeon. If you burn out, just check out for the day and do some Confidants or something.

Akuun

I think my favorite so far is Palace 3.

IMO 2 and 3 were probably the best ones.

1, 4, 5, and 6 were okay but not as good.

BBboy20

I don't want the game to end, I could do this phantom thieve thing forever, I just really love the concept. Seeing the way the public reacts to our actions as the stakes become higher with each case is really cool.
Other interests in my life and I have yet to beat this game...but yeah...I don't want this to end either.

BTA

I'm surprised by some of the palace 5 crit.

I found the airlock puzzles really easy to figure out and did them without any problems, to the point that I forgot they existed till now. I thought they were designed in a way that made it pretty clear what order to do things in (particularly when looking at the map), and the map updated to show what gates were available, even. Not saying it's bad to have struggled with them - there's definitely been "easy" stuff I've spent hours dealing with in games - but I just didn't expect that to be a problem.

Plum

*all these physical repel enemies in Palace 5*

*all these enemies with magic wall spells*

Fuck Palace 5. It's a brutal SP sponge of a dungeon. There's rarely many places to hide and the puzzles
practically force you into running into enemies and getting ambushed.

Also
the lunch break puzzles with dialogue at both ends are a minor, but incredibly frustrating annoyance. What bad design.

Akuun

You can really abuse the grace period the enemies have after seeing you in the later palaces. You can sometimes run at the enemy's face from a slight angle and still get an ambush, as long as you press X while the enemy is still doing the "!?" animation.

Alternately, you can wait for them to finish their patrol route and turn around.

You can really abuse the grace period the enemies have after seeing you in the later palaces. You can sometimes run at the enemy's face from a slight angle and still get an ambush, as long as you press X while the enemy is still doing the "!?" animation.

Alternately, you can wait for them to finish their patrol route and turn around.

You can also ambush shadows before the button prompt shows up if you time it right.

Opa-Pa

By Palace 5 you should have maxed Yoshida's confidant and be able to recruit higher level demons and use that ability on Girimekhala (the one-eyed elephant) and have it equipped at all times. If not, you should still have Shiki-Ouji with you from palace 2-3. You should always have one of these phys/gun repelling personas in your stock, they're crazy useful and the game basically gives them away unlike in other games.

Palace 5 is kinda tedious but hard it is not.

Yeah this is something I find weird when people complain about the stealth system "forcing them to let the enemy see them sometimes". Sure that can happen but you can still ambush them even when you're right in front of them, I used this a lot. I think the only enemies who left no margin for error where the bunny girls at Palace 6.

Chorazin

The only Palace that I didn't like was 7, that's just because it's so long and I was ready for the game to be over after 100+ hours. None of the other ones bothered me in the slightest.

_Isaac

Man, the boss for the second palace is a little tough. Basically already died twice.

Also wow I can tell this game is going to be super long. I am still on the second palace, and I have over 25 hours played.

Akuun

I wouldn't mind.

IMO the setting honestly doesn't matter that much, as long as it feels cohesive. Catherine could have been set anywhere really, and managed to bring its own sense of style to the game.

Plum

Moon Confidant:
I'm at Rank 7, have done all the requests Mishima's given me bar one yet he isn't appearing. Anything I'm doing wrong?

Edit: Not an issue, saw that
he was in Akihabara

My biggest issue with Palace 5 is that there is a distinct lack of cover and multiple enemies placed along barren corridors. Meaning; way less ambushing and more being ambushed than the other palaces. Seriously, it's fucking annoying when you defeat and enemy and when you return to the game, there's an enemy RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU that sees you.

I'd like to see Persona 6 set somewhere else. Even tho I've only played 5, seeing another country through a Japanese filter with life sim aspects? It'd be interesting.

I'm in late November and I'm just kind of going through the motions and want to see the end. Would someone mind telling me how much more game I have left hour-wise and how many more dungeons? Spoiler tagged.

BTA

Not finished yet, but endgame spoilers.

I'd been spoiled the entire game with regards to who the final boss was but I didn't expect it to happen quite like this...

I'm annoyed because I want to see this bad ending but that means skipping through like 20 minutes plus of stuff to get back to this point.

Though now that I think about it, that means hearing RIVERS IN THE DESERT again so: yeah, ok.

EDIT:

Well, I was hoping for a little more than that. :<

Also, the credits are unskippable, as if to shame me for this mistake.

You can only Ambush from sides / Front if the alert level is 0. Its why you ambush much more rarely in Mementos which doesn't have the bonus for 0 or any of the penalties for being above 30%.

Palace 5 would be great if it wasn't for the awful "guess which boss is the right one" segment. 0 Gravity maze and the lunchbreak puzzles are good. It also has great music and looks cool.

BTA

Stopping for the night right before the final boss, since I might have to stop suddenly if I do it now.

lmao I guess... Akechi's actually dead then?

Like he died in such a cliche way that I was pretty sure he wasn't dead, particularly because it means there's 2 whole elements only Joker can cover.

But nah he's dead and all that's said afterwards is like... a fairly blunt text conversation, some lines during Shido's fight, and this offhand uncommented upon mention of him being Joker's opponent in the "game"? Really??

I guess it's partially because I knew he was the traitor for most of the game (of course, who worse would it be, especially with how obvious their hints were?) but all that buildup to the traitor with fuckall besides a dramatic sacrifice as payoff kinda sucks!! Particularly as he seems to die against grunts the party totally coulda fought?? The rapid escalation towards the final boss is kinda extreme in itself, but it sorta works; this, though, i'm disappointed in them acting like it was resolved without ever considering how it affected the team after that point.

Separately, regarding Persona 6, this is the first one I've played so it's not like I'm sick of the setup, but that original road trip/traveling idea they had sounded rad and so something like that would be really cool. Might be harder to justify you gaining party members, though? Since suddenly upending their lives to join your party doesn't play well in current day settings, I feel...

Opa-Pa

Stopping for the night right before the final boss, since I might have to stop suddenly if I do it now.

lmao I guess... Akechi's actually dead then?

Like he died in such a cliche way that I was pretty sure he wasn't dead, particularly because it means there's 2 whole elements only Joker can cover.

But nah he's dead and all that's said afterwards is like... a fairly blunt text conversation, some lines during Shido's fight, and this offhand uncommented upon mention of him being Joker's opponent in the "game"? Really??

I guess it's partially because I knew he was the traitor for most of the game (of course, who worse would it be, especially with how obvious their hints were?) but all that buildup to the traitor with fuckall besides a dramatic sacrifice as payoff kinda sucks!! Particularly as he seems to die against grunts the party totally coulda fought?? The rapid escalation towards the final boss is kinda extreme in itself, but it sorta works; this, though, i'm disappointed in them acting like it was resolved without ever considering how it affected the team after that point.

Separately, regarding Persona 6, this is the first one I've played so it's not like I'm sick of the setup, but that original road trip/traveling idea they had sounded rad and so something like that would be really cool. Might be harder to justify you gaining party members, though? Since suddenly upending their lives to join your party doesn't play well in current day settings, I feel...

I remember your previous post on him and found it funny/sad because I knew you were giving the game too much credit expecting something else haha. Yeah he died in an awful scene trying to make an irredeemable garbage person a victim of the circumstances,
it was so bad. Sucks because I thought his twist and handling of his character up until then was fairly solid.

And about the P6 thing, it'd be fine for me either way. I wouldn't mind them using the same setup yet again honestly, but the road trip idea sounds interesting if a bit hard to visualize in my head. That being said they could just make it so you know everyone from the start but they gradually gain their personas as the story progresses.

Plum

Hiero Confidant:
Why does it give you more kindness after the rank that requires max kindness? It doesn't make any sense other than for consistency with all the other ranks.

Hiero Confidant:
Why does it give you more kindness after the rank that requires max kindness? It doesn't make any sense other than for consistency with all the other ranks.

Feedback consistency I think. Other things that give points keep giving them after you max, so it makes sense to let you know that doing this thing increases your kindness (it's not like Sojiro stops being Sojiro). I really wish they had a quicker way of showing stuff if you were maxed though.

BTA

I remember your previous post on him and found it funny/sad because I knew you were giving the game too much credit expecting something else haha. Yeah he died in an awful scene trying to make an irredeemable garbage person a victim of the circumstances,
it was so bad. Sucks because I thought his twist and handling of his character up until then was fairly solid.

And about the P6 thing, it'd be fine for me either way. I wouldn't mind them using the same setup yet again honestly, but the road trip idea sounds interesting if a bit hard to visualize in my head. That being said they could just make it so you know everyone from the start but they gradually gain their personas as the story progresses.

The more I think about it,
the more I wish they had made him sacrifice himself during the fight with Shido instead. Let him get his revenge and rebel in his dying moments, sacrificing himself in a way that actually helps the team.

And also Shido would have to be a more impressive/imposing looking boss as a result, hah.

Regarding him being irredeemable, I feel like they could have played up his circumstances and need to please (if only for eventual revenge) Shido more but instead it just was kinda cartoonish and flat? Particularly because, based purely on that offhand reference to him being the Grail's representative in the game, then he was being played by it the entire time too? If they actually wanted to discuss that (and then have him intend to turn himself in), I think, well, it still would have been rough but it would have gone over slightly better at least... And then you could have the Grail teased sooner as a result, I guess. Knowing Igor was a fake + the final boss the entire time, I was surprised by, let's say, the uncharacteristic restraint it had towards foreshadowing that at all.

Plum

Feedback consistency I think. Other things that give points keep giving them after you max, so it makes sense to let you know that doing this thing increases your kindness (it's not like Sojiro stops being Sojiro). I really wish they had a quicker way of showing stuff if you were maxed though.

Yeah, I don't mind it's just that having to go through the text and animations is annoying. The game really needs some fine-tuning in how much it likes to show off its fancy UI stuff.

10/30, about half-way through Palace 6.

My opinion of Palace 5 was that... it wasn't even that terrible.
Was pretty straightforward actually. The airlock puzzles were sorta annoying (they took more time than the rest of the palace, funnily enough), but they weren't rage inducing.

I will agree it was an SP sponge though. Even with my entire team fitted with SP Adhesives it was still a trek.
Would've went smoother if Haru had Baton Pass. >>

D.Va

Neo Member
Quick question. I know that I should be finishing the Palaces ASAP, but should I send the calling card as soon as I can? I was under the impression that I should finish the Palaces but hold onto the cards until the last couple days so I can work on stats.

But whenever I try to hangout with anyone from the group, they just ask about the calling card.

Balphon

You can't spend time with party members in the period between finding the treasure and sending the calling card, so you should either send it ASAP or wait on doing the palace until you're ready.

D.Va

Neo Member
You can't spend time with party members in the period between finding the treasure and sending the calling card, so you should either send it ASAP or wait on doing the palace until you're ready.

Ok thank you. And the story events happen on certain dates so I won't be losing time if I beat the boss and get the treasure asap, right?

Gbraga

Man, the calling card almost made up for the shitty dungeon.

What an amazing scene. I wish the whole game had that quality.

The anime adaptation has a lot of potential.

Real talk, rank 9 in the lovers confidant
when you choose to date Ann was too adorable.

Really enjoying the story turns post-palace 5. This game is so goddamn great. 80hrs in so far.

Top Bottom