• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
This Mako Mankanshoku character design in Kill la Kill is giving me some serious Chie vibes. Much more amusing personality though, so already better there. ;P

iKBxHMz.jpg

Also, why the Fatty Freeman avatar? Lose a bet?

Dantis

Isn't it funny how SJ's OST sounds more modern and higher quality than SMT4's, despite having to deal with the DS audio and terrible compression due to memory issues?

When I first heard SJ's OST, it was a bit too strange for me to appreciate. It's actually pretty interesting though. Very unique.

cj_iwakura

Isn't it funny how SJ's OST sounds more modern and higher quality than SMT4's, despite having to deal with the DS audio and terrible compression due to memory issues?

When I first heard SJ's OST, it was a bit too strange for me to appreciate. It's actually pretty interesting though. Very unique.

I loved SJ's OST especially because of how different it was. IV's is more what you would expect from a core SMT game for sure, but SJ's is still great.

My favorite track.

Dantis

Benjamin Franklin did the lyrics for More Than One Heart, it seems.

Everybody act surprised.

I think this pretty much confirms him for P5 too.

Sophia and I have a running theory that SMTIV must have been originally been some sort of SMT1 remake

Benjamin-Franklin-WC-9301234-1-402.jpg

A founding father makes Persona music now?

Thematically, SMTIV much closer represents SMT1/2's more epic/cyberpunk vision than Nocturne/Strange Journey's more dark and macabre take on the series

Caladrius

I think this is more than a theory.

Now that I think about it there are a lot of plot similarities

Jon=Law Hero
Walter=Chaos Hero
Isabeau=Heroine
Lilith is a key participant in the plot
God destroys civilization with nuclear weapons
Dream sequence that introduces most of the central cast
Neutral is a kill-em-all scenario
Those are just the ones I know about, someone who's actually played the game would be more qualified to explain it.

Now that I think about it there are a lot of plot similarities

Jon=Law Hero
Walter=Chaos Hero
Isabeau=Heroine
Lilith is a key participant in the plot
God destroys civilization with nuclear weapons
Dream sequence that introduces most of the central cast
Neutral is a kill-em-all scenario
Those are just the ones I know about, someone who's actually played the game would be more qualified to explain it.

Steven/Stephen is the inventor of the devil summoning program.
Lilith is known as Yuriko
The Cult of Gaia/Gaea is present as the Ring of Gaia/Gaea
Both games end the neutral path with you body slamming one alignment final boss, and then the other.

I'm surprised there was no storyline Cerberus in this one.

Also a ton of smt2 similarities too...

Daimaou

I think the game just has a ton of homages to SMT1 and 2 rather than initially intending to be a remake. Maybe some design docs or interviews will eventually prove me wrong, though.

cj_iwakura

I finally found out what the awesome remix of Aria of the Soul that plays in The Animation is called! They really need to use it in a game some time.

Also, everyone in here needs to go and see Gravity as soon as they possibly can. Absolutely god-tier film in every regard, and it has replaced the director's previous work, Children of Men, on my Top 10 favourites list.

As with most HP fans, Azkaban is considered my favorite, but I'm an acrophobic. Gravity would end me.

Gazoinks

I'm not terribly fond of Cuarón's work, but the high praise Gravity is getting means I'll check it out once it hits Blu-Ray.

I have no idea why Japanese artists pick such weird aliases, but he's a lyricist and singer at Atlus now.

Did you know there's a Japanese band called SOPHIA that consists entirely of guys? Yeah, bizarre....

Ogre You Asshole is a pretty weird one. Oh, also Soil & "PIMP" Sessions. No idea what's going on there.

Squire

Banned
I'm not terribly fond of Cuarón's work, but the high praise Gravity is getting means I'll check it out once it hits Blu-Ray.

I have no idea why Japanese artists pick such weird aliases, but he's a lyricist and singer at Atlus now.

Did you know there's a Japanese band called SOPHIA that consists entirely of guys? Yeah, bizarre....

I'm going to see Gravity tomorrow. I don't remember much of Children of Men, but I love Sandy B and Clooney, so I'm there. I was on a sort of blackout, but I saw the trailer when I saw Prisoners in theaters and it gave me this anxious, nautilus feeling. Like being on a roller coaster.

The band stuff is creepy.

EMT0

Banned
It looks like not even my ignition of a husbando war could stop the monster that is anime. Carry on, my comrades, for I must leave the rest of the battle to you. I've...got to go sleep.

I finished Persona yesterday, finally!

I liked the game. The characters, the story, the (broken :p ) battle system and the overall atmosphere of the game were definitely among my positive factors.
There are only two things I can definitely identify as negative: the encounter rate and the randomness of the negotiation segments.

There is no way around the high encounter rate unfortunately, the spell that was suggested to me earlier (Estoma) avoids only the encounters with monsters that are of a lower level than you. This means that everytime you get into a new dungeon it simply won't work unless you stay at the entrance and grind before entering. This was a negative for me especially because it greatly impacted my bearings in an already complicated dungeon design.

Then there is the negotiation system, to fuse Personas you need cards. To get these cards you must contract with the enemies you meet. Unfortunately the chance of getting a card is very slim, so you have to make several attempts before succeeding.
The system is also so random that tactics that have worked before may not work the next time, making it all too complicated.
You cannot fuse Personas you already have, you cannot get the cards any other way.

Then there is the fact that dungeon exploring is first person, which I didn't like at all, but that's just personal preference.

Then the story:
I liked it! I feel a bit sorry for Maki but I'm glad everything turned out alright.
Other characters I liked are Nanjo and Nao (best Persona protagonist so far, come at me!! >:D ). I was really inspired by Eriko and Reiji too, too bad I'm one that cannot say no and got that idiot of Brown along :( Was very disappointed by that...

Philermon... I hope we get to see him again in future Persona games, I like his design!

I'll be playing La Mulana now, then... Innocent Sin! Looking forward to that one! :)

cjkeats

He says he just hit ep 9.
Jesus. Dude is making the best of his vacation.

I liked the game. The characters, the story, the (broken :p ) battle system and the overall atmosphere of the game were definitely among my positive factors.
There are only two things I can definitely identify as negative: the encounter rate and the randomness of the negotiation segments.

There is no way around the high encounter rate unfortunately, the spell that was suggested to me earlier (Estoma) avoids only the encounters with monsters that are of a lower level than you. This means that everytime you get into a new dungeon it simply won't work unless you stay at the entrance and grind before entering. This was a negative for me especially because it greatly impacted my bearings in an already complicated dungeon design.

Then there is the negotiation system, to fuse Personas you need cards. To get these cards you must contract with the enemies you meet. Unfortunately the chance of getting a card is very slim, so you have to make several attempts before succeeding.
The system is also so random that tactics that have worked before may not work the next time, making it all too complicated.
You cannot fuse Personas you already have, you cannot get the cards any other way.

Then there is the fact that dungeon exploring is first person, which I didn't like at all, but that's just personal preference.

Then the story:
I liked it! I feel a bit sorry for Maki but I'm glad everything turned out alright.
Other characters I liked are Nanjo and Nao (best Persona protagonist so far, come at me!! >:D ). I was really inspired by Eriko and Reiji too, too bad I'm one that cannot say no and got that idiot of Brown along :( Was very disappointed by that...

Philermon... I hope we get to see him again in future Persona games, I like his design!

I'll be playing La Mulana now, then... Innocent Sin! Looking forward to that one! :)
Was hoping you'd post thoughts. Good read. Can't wait to hear what you think of IS and EP.
I do really want to try and okay P1 myself one day. I think I could grit my teeth and bear it now that I got the story and really like the characters now.

Then the story:

Glad to see you enjoyed it. I feel people are too hard on the first Persona. Here, listen to the character themes, its almost like, getting to know the characters in music form...a shame that the remake removed almost all the themes.

Eriko Kirishima
Reiji Kido
Hidehiko Uesugi "Brown"
Yuka Ayase
Yukino Mayuzumi
Maki Sonomura
Kei Nanjo
Masao Inaba "Mark"

I really dont get why modern Persona decided to move away from giving character's their own themes damn it. Listen to this shit:

2Positive4Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom