• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Main Plot- P2EP > P2IS > P4 > P3 Journey > P1 > P3 Answer
Characters- P2EP = P2IS > P4 > P1 > P3 Answer > P3 Journey
Music- P4 > P2IS > P3 > P2EP > P1
Gameplay- P4 > P3 Answer > P3 Journey > P2EP > P1 > P2IS
Pacing- P2EP > P2IS > P1 > P3 Answer > P4 > P3 Journey
Visuals- P4 > P3 > P2EP > P2IS > P1

^...That a mathematical equation?

Only two I really care about are gameplay and characters, and I'd agree with ya except P3>P1 in characters. Not played the Answer or P1 so can't judge in the gameplay department.

Also pic a couple pages back of Aigis vs. Labrys is pretty kickass. Gotta love 'splosions.

It's been awhile, but what makes P3's Answer's gameplay so good?

Most modern Persona fans dislike The Answer compared to The Journey for removing SLinks, the calender and type passing systems, having it all be dungeons and fighting. As a SMT/Old School Persona fan, that makes it fun for me! P4 to me feels like The Journey's formula, but done right and paced better. The Journey's pacing is horrible. I grew to like The Journey in the end though.

They all suck.

but they all Rock....

dwayne-johnson_tooth-fairy-290.jpg

fertygo

Most modern Persona fans dislike The Answer compared to The Journey for removing SLinks, the calender and type passing systems, having it all be dungeons and fighting. As a SMT/Old School Persona fan, that makes it fun for me! P4 to me feels like The Journey's formula, but done right and paced better. The Journey's pacing is horrible. I grew to like The Journey in the end though.

But the problem is the game built around that mechanic, The Answer is like "LOL let make dungeon crawling out of this, we just need stripping the feature!" that resulted to endless grinding.

I'm fine with playing classic SMT game, but not totally different game forced to change into that.

Rhapsody

Banned
I only went through the Answer once. I can't remember if I'm remembering right, but I wish it had the Compendium and save spots in dungeons.
Those were probably the only two things that made the game difficult for me.

Only because it added on to the existing restrictions in P3 of no party control and having only one character not required to have a default persona/demon.

Meia

I went through the Answer, and had a good time of it using a Persona guide so I could fuse exactly one of each element and grinding my way to near the end of the game...

...when I find out that they screw you if you didn't use a certain party member the entire time. Screw the Answer.

I went through the Answer, and had a good time of it using a Persona guide so I could fuse exactly one of each element and grinding my way to near the end of the game...

...when I find out that they screw you if you didn't use a certain party member the entire time. Screw the Answer.

You mean the one they basically go hey this character is important use this character

(still pretty bullshit though)

fertygo

AigisMetis and hell maybe plus Junpei is a MUST in FES/Answe.. having Orgia mode character help you in normal battle because its way better than relying to your partner AI.

Meia

I never once used Orgia mode in the Journey in terms of Fes. I like the power boost it gives you, don't get me wrong, but the downtime? Yeah no thanks.

Yeah, you got the impression they was important, but I just went through a Persona game with a specific cast, I'm just going to throw in a spot to them over people I used in the 100 hour rpg I just beat? :p

I've never seen an RPG do that before, at least not one where they gave you a choice in terms of party member only to have you screw yourself(this time not in a matter in which they'll no longer be available, which is normally how this strikes you).

I got to
The Yukari/Mitsuru fight even with a severely underleveled Metis, said screw it after the 10th death and Youtubed the rest.

PK Gaming

I'd personally go with:

Main Plot: P2EP > P2IS > P4 > P3 > P1
Characters: P4 => P2EP > P2IS > P3 > P1 (I spent a long time on deciding this one. They're all really close)
Gameplay: P4 > P3 >>> P1 > P2EP >=P2IS (seriously, I can't stress enough how bad P1/P2's gameplay is)
Music: P4 > P3 > P2 > P1 (All of it is high quality, they're close together)
Pacing: P4 > P3 > P2IS > P2EP > P1 (P4 and P3 have their unique spin on pacing where ymmv. Unlike P4 does a good at preventing you from getting bored P2 and P1 employ a go from point A > B system, which is fine I guess. P1 has obnoxious backtracking)
Visuals: P4 > P3 > P2 > P1 (duh)

Hmm, just out of curiosity I think I'll try a playthrough of P3P with no direct party control. The idea of playing a turn based game with controlling just one of the characters seems weird to me. Can the other characters even guard like that? Would force me to change my game up too against bosses without picking and choosing Akihiko's and Aigis' buffs/ debuffs.

fertygo

I never once used Orgia mode in the Journey in terms of Fes. I like the power boost it gives you, don't get me wrong, but the downtime? Yeah no thanks.

For the boss fight its unusable, but every minor fight should end before time limit anyway..
Hmm, just out of curiosity I think I'll try a playthrough of P3P with no direct party control. The idea of playing a turn based game with controlling just one of the characters seems weird to me. Can the other characters even guard like that? Would force me to change my game up too against bosses without picking and choosing Akihiko's and Aigis' buffs/ debuffs.

That's why its not make lick of sense. Also P3P strip down the tactic mechanic, you better off trying with FES.

Meia

Thanks to Dantis continually bringing it up I shall play through all the Fatal Frame games after I buy them from PSN(tis the season after all).

Only bought and played the first one if memory serves. This should be a hoot.

fertygo

Huh, really? That's odd, seems they're going back on their original idea and pushing direct control now. Not gonna buy FES just to try that out :p.

In FES at least you have knock down command if your partner have ability that hit enemy weakness, n other command.

P3P only have stuff like "all out" or "support" like in P4.

Straight up hating on The Journey I see?

Trigger

Thanks to Dantis continually bringing it up I shall play through all the Fatal Frame games after I buy them from PSN(tis the season after all).

You're in for a treat. The games are great spooky fun.

Dantis

YES YES YES YES YES.

I might finally draw a costume crossover for that. Been wanting to do it for ages. Halloween and all, seems like a good time.

In FES at least you have knock down command if your partner have ability that hit enemy weakness, n other command.

P3P only have stuff like "all out" or "support" like in P4.

I see. Seems like a weird decision to me. You'd think they'd improve on that mechanic not dumb it down. Or at least leave it as is. At first when playing P4 I figured it was the default to make it easier for beginners or something, y'know so you only have to concentrate on using one character. But it actually seems to make things harder not easier. First mini boss kicked my butt until I switched to direct commands.

fertygo

I see. Seems like a weird decision to me. You'd think they'd improve on that mechanic not dumb it down. Or at least leave it as is. At first when playing P4 I figured it was the default to make it easier for beginners or something, y'know so you only have to concentrate on using one character. But it actually seems to make things harder not easier. First mini boss kicked my butt until I switched to direct commands.

I'd say they just not making any sense in first place, AI controlled party in turn based system.. what?

Without that decision, maybe we already have ideal P3 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom