• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting it on the same level as fanfiction is more than just midly unfair, it implies you have a complete misunderstanding of what actual fanfiction looks like. Switching the story structure to something more like that of Chronophantasia or Mortal Kombat would in turn fix a significant amount of the problems on its own.

^^^This. Structuring the story like Mortal Kombat's allows them to focus on certain characters when it's important and relevant to do so and then move on to another character while maintaining the story's pace. You could also go back to certain characters that are likely to be more important (Yu, Aigis, Mitsuru, etc.). I didn't mind Arena's story mode that much, but I agree that it's bloated and much of it is filler, simply by nature of its structure.

Sophia

But the bits of Arena that aren't fluff are the bits that feel the most fan fictiony to me. Labrys' story was very... not good. And the Shadow Operatives stuff is full on fan fiction, right?

You are firmly in a minority regarding Labrys's story, I think. Also, the Shadow Operatives stuff was one of the only things that didn't really feel like fanfiction to me.. Especially given the implication that the events of Persona 4 did not go unnoticed to the outside world.

^^^This. Structuring the story like Mortal Kombat's allows them to focus on certain characters when it's important and relevant to do so and then move on to another character while maintaining the story's pace. You could also go back to certain characters that are likely to be more important (Yu, Aigis, Mitsuru, etc.). I didn't mind Arena's story mode that much, but I agree that it's bloated and much of it is filler, simply by nature of its structure.

Another factor that doesn't really help is that Persona 4's story is a bit self-contained, in a very similar manner to Persona 2. In contrast, it feels like Persona 1 and Persona 3's stories were part of a much bigger picture.

PK Gaming

What did you expect, it's Fighting-game adapted from an RPG series. To expect the story to have anything of substance is... overly optimistic. At the same time, labeling every single plot point as merely "fan fiction" is also unfair. Like, short of bringing in the original Persona 4 team, anything they could possibly come up with is "fanfiction".

All things considered, I think they did a decent job with the story. Sure, the way they characterization was off a bit (ranging from slightly degrading like Yosuke, to full out offensive like Kanji) but overall, it was an enjoyable experience. I'd strongly argue that the Persona 3 characters were actually improved. Then again, most of them lacked depth to begin with. Hopefully P4A2 has a streamlined storymode like MK or Injustice.

What I liked about Labby's story is that with the internal monologue you get to see her psyche developing.

Plus I totally got Pokemon First Movie vibes :p.

And yeah PK, that's pretty much my stance on this too.

Lunar15

By fanfiction level writing I mean that there's a ton of leaps in logic in order to unite a bunch of people who probably shouldn't be united through normal circumstances. It's not so much the quality of the beat to beat writing as it is the general scenario being completely wacky. Believe me, there's fan fiction out there that features excellent writing, but it doesn't make the scenario any less ridiculous. For a fighting game, I think Arena pulled it off pretty well, though. I'm not being negative, just saying I don't want that style of writing in a mainline game.

My least favorite thing in a game series is when they attempt to retroactively connect things that were never intended to be connected. It just has a very... inconsistent success rate.

PK Gaming

tumblr_mwh10xEZGY1qe6ix6o1_250.jpg

Not bad, not bad at all!

tumblr_mwgvmbqmaH1r9s07oo1_500.jpg

SO GOOD!

Moonlight

Banned
This is absolutely fantastic, and exactly what I meant when I said I was looking forward to the kind of personality that the Shadows could bring to life.

As an aside, I finished Persona 2: Innocent Sin. It was... y'know, it was pretty damn good. A few things are niggling at me, but I really liked it, for the most part. Extended thoughts are pending.

=( Missed Gazoinks becoming a member XD, anyway congrats, back to finishing off an OT and then rejoin you guys in melting down to insanity =P

I should reaally finish off Arena but need to keep training on it till it clicks with me... =/

PK Gaming

This is absolutely fantastic, and exactly what I meant when I said I was looking forward to the kind of personality that the Shadows could bring to life.

As an aside, I finished Persona 2: Innocent Sin. It was... y'know, it was pretty damn good. A few things are niggling at me, but I really liked it, for the most part. Extended thoughts are pending.

Awesome, I knew you'd like it. Gameplay aside, its a brilliant game. If you enjoyed IS's story, then you'll love EP's. I probably wouldn't junp into it immediately though, it's evn harder to playthrough than IS....

So...anyone in Persona GAF willing to film their reactions to the website reveal ala Nintendo 64 kid if it's Persona 5 and a rage one if it isn't =P?

CrazyDude

So will shadow operatives as an organization be in Persona 5? It seems weird for there to be shadow activity in Persona 5 without them finding out about it.

Soriku

I would love a Persona game written by Gen Urobuchi (Saya no Uta, Madoka Magica). You want something dark? The man who seems to hate life is the perfect fit.

Yes please. And you forgot Fate/Zero!!

I don't care about tone, I just want a plot that isn't quite so nonsensical this time around.

Nonsensical in what way? I mean stuff like the Midnight Channel or Dark Hour is kinda wacky but otherwise the games tend to stay pretty well within the bounds they set IMO.

Caladrius

I is fixed.

Yu wishes he was Terumi.

Not nearly enough of a villain sue

So will shadow operatives as an organization be in Persona 5? It seems weird for there to be shadow activity in Persona 5 without them finding out about it.

It depends on how many returning characters the devs might want to use, regardless of whether or not it would make sense for them to not catch on. If we use the last 2 main games as precedent no one is likely to return aside from Velvet room members.

Sophia

It depends on how many returning characters the devs might want to use, regardless of whether or not it would make sense for them to not catch on. If we use the last 2 main games as precedent no one is likely to return aside from Velvet room members.

I'm actually quite fond of the whole game having all original characters, but having one of those original characters be a part of the Shadow Operatives.

CrazyDude

I'm actually quite fond of the whole game having all original characters, but having one of those original characters be a part of the Shadow Operatives.

Possible for one to be the mentor character.

Even then, it feels kind of weird telling a bunch of in experienced kids to save the world while we have these seasoned veterans sitting on the side lines.

Tamanon

Banned
At most, I'd be okay with an old character showing up for a stretch, a la Nate/Ellen in EP, but that'd be the limit. I want to meet new folks! I wonder how they'll do the bro character this time around!

Sophia

Right? Imagine if shit got real Persona 2 style early on in the story, and a member of the Shadow Operatives contacts them and acts like a mentor/guest playable character to the rest of the cast. This would directly connect the story in a similar manner to how they've been doing it prior to Persona 4, but without actually bringing in any of the crossover elements.

Even then, it feels kind of weird telling a bunch of in experienced kids to save the world while we have these seasoned veterans sitting on the side lines.

Wouldn't be the first time they've done it. :p

Caladrius

*re-reads question, facepalms for self* It's a neat idea, though I would hope they would make his involvement somewhat obtuse.

There's always the standard mentor excuse of "It was only to make you stronger!" Or they could get killed off before they can act.

Right? Imagine if shit got real Persona 2 style early on in the story, and a member of the Shadow Operatives contacts them and acts like a mentor/guest playable character to the rest of the cast. This would directly connect the story in a similar manner to how they've been doing it prior to Persona 4, but without actually bringing in any of the crossover elements.

I'd be okay with this, though I would rather P4A2 finishes off those characters and we get all fresh, no callbacks at all.

Levito

Banned
If they're going to have any sort of returning characters I'm hoping it's a cameo at most. Please focus on the new cast.

Sophia

I'd be okay with this, though I would rather P4A2 finishes off those characters and we get all fresh, no callbacks at all.

There will be callbacks. Every Persona game has had them. Persona 4's almost complete lack of callbacks (outside of the ones you get after beating
Margaret
and the school trip) is actually unusual and not standard. Heck, even the original Persona game had tons of callbacks to SMT If...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom