• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GIMME STEROIDS! These shadow portraits are great, I can't wait to see Yukiko's (and I'm still surprised that after three location tests we haven't seen them all).

I never played vanilla P4, so I only know Erin as Chie, but listening to some clips online, I definitely prefer her to the original voice actress. I don't know, vanilla Chie just sounds like the Chie I know on Ritalin, it's weird...

To the people who had original Chie first, many of them feel like new Chie is Chie on speed lol

To the people who had original Chie first, many of them feel like new Chie is Chie on speed lol

lol, that's true I suppose. I'm surprised that they changed Chie's voice so much from P4 to P4G/P4A. I've heard the two different Teddies, and they're much more similar. Was the reasoning anything more than, "We couldn't get the original voice actors back?"

lol, that's true I suppose. I'm surprised that they changed Chie's voice so much from P4 to P4G/P4A. I've heard the two different Teddies, and they're much more similar. Was the reasoning anything more than, "We couldn't get the original voice actors back?"

Original Chie retired. Original Teddie went union.

It's a shame Shadow Yu's portrait is so terrible.

@Buddha: That's awesome. Is Jack Frost your signature demon?

He is one of them. It really sucks you can only transfer non normal fuse skills such as Die For Me!, Fallen Grace or Tornado of God to normal Jack Frost. King Frost, Frost Ace and Demoneeho are all special fusions, so you cannot fuse them in battle with two demons, so those skills can never be on those Jacks.

FluxWaveZ

They tell me Shadow Naoto has a lab coat win pose but where are the pics at.

Two new Dengeki character articles for P4A2: Yosuke and Akihiko.

p4u2_005_cs1w1_720x.jpg

p4u2_004_cs1w1_720x.jpg

I agree, I was hoping for some hint of what Shadow Yu's personality might be seeing as we never see him in P4. But I guess they're going for something like an evil version of Yu Narukami from the anime?

Shadow Yu's in P4A, though.

FluxWaveZ

Are these only about the general playstyle or do they go into balance changes too?

Hell if I know. I'm guessing since it's an article on a fairly popular website that does not focus on fighting games, it will be about how they perceive their general playstyle in order to appeal to a mass audience instead of going into really specific stuff such as "Akihiko's C Thunder Fists has a shorter duration" that would appeal only to a very specific audience.

Meia

Damn, almost missed some Chie VA discussion.

There's no wrong answer in which one they prefer, since it's two very different portrayals of the same character. I think Erin's fit more, since Chie is supposed to be kind awkward and loud. But yeah, beginning of the game is kind of terrible with her. Wish there was a way to kind of re-record some of that and patch it in or something. You'd think the game makers themselves would kind of realize it, since the game is what immortalizes said characters.

Then again, the whole thing was handled ass-backwards in the anime too, so who knows?

kewlmyc

Damn, almost missed some Chie VA discussion.

There's no wrong answer in which one they prefer, since it's two very different portrayals of the same character. I think Erin's fit more, since Chie is supposed to be kind awkward and loud. But yeah, beginning of the game is kind of terrible with her. Wish there was a way to kind of re-record some of that and patch it in or something. You'd think the game makers themselves would kind of realize it, since the game is what immortalizes said characters.

Then again, the whole thing was handled ass-backwards in the anime too, so who knows?

The only line I really didn't like was the market scene with her saying "whole wheat". That whole line sounded awkward.

PK Gaming

I think they were trying to make it seem like he was still stoic like his counterpart.

I miss Dave. I got used to Sam Riegel but Wittenburg was a bit better with the more emotional scenes.

I feel like they completely missed the point with his shadow. Shadows are supposed to look ugly and repulsive because they're something the host doesn't want others to see. Are they really trying to tell me that Shadow Yu Shadow is no different than "Dark (insert x character).

:/

Caladrius

Hell if I know. I'm guessing since it's an article on a fairly popular website that does not focus on fighting games, it will be about how they perceive their general playstyle in order to appeal to a mass audience instead of going into really specific stuff such as "Akihiko's C Thunder Fists has a shorter duration" that would appeal only to a very specific audience.

Oh.

I've been thinking of taking up Japanese. Western morningGAF could use a translator.

I feel like they completely missed the point with his shadow. Shadows are supposed to look ugly and repulsive because they're something the host doesn't want others to see. Are they really trying to tell me that Shadow Yu Shadow is no different than "Dark (insert x character).

A fair point. I've always thought of Shadow Yu as being an attention-seeking sycophant who puts up a tough front even though he's afraid he might not be able to lead, so maybe it didn't strike me as strongly. (keep in mind i haven't seen The Factor of Hope and don't remember his appearance in P4A so I could be dead wrong)

Shadow Yu's in P4A, though.

Do you mean Arena or the anime? If Arena, then (P4A spoilers)
I thought that Yu's Shadow that you encounter in Arcade mode was the Malevolent Entity posing as him? The dialogue certainly seems to point that way.

If you mean the anime then yes that's true, but I wasn't sure if the games would consider the anime and Shadow Yu's portrayal in the anime as canon, as that scene doesn't play out in either P4 or P4G.

FluxWaveZ

Do you mean Arena or the anime? If Arena, then (P4A spoilers)
I thought that Yu's Shadow that you encounter in Arcade mode was the Malevolent Entity posing as him? The dialogue certainly seems to point that way.

I thought it was generally assumed that all of the Shadows in P4A2 except for possibly OG Shadow Labrys are
the Malevolent Entity, who is possibly Nyarlathotep, posing as them just like all of the ones in P4A. They're certainly not Persona 4 style Shadows, as explained in P4A's story mode.

I thought it was generally assumed that all of the Shadows in P4A2 except for possibly OG Shadow Labrys are
the Malevolent Entity, who is possibly Nyarlathotep, posing as them just like all of the ones in P4A. They're certainly not Persona 4 style Shadows, as explained in P4A's story mode.

You're right about that, but I at least remember
some of the P4A Shadows retaining the personality traits of the P4 Shadows. Kanji's comes to mind readily; even though that's definitely the Malevolent Entity, it still speaks and behaves like Kanji's Shadow. You only see Yu's in that one Arcade Mode cutscene, though, so you don't really get any sense of personality from it except, "Look, I'm the evil version of you and I have a secret plan MWAHAHAHA."

FluxWaveZ

You're right about that, but I at least remember
some of the P4A Shadows retaining the personality traits of the P4 Shadows. Kanji's comes to mind readily; even though that's definitely the Malevolent Entity, it still speaks and behaves like Kanji's Shadow. You only see Yu's in that one Arcade Mode cutscene, though, so you don't really get any sense of personality from it except, "Look, I'm the evil version of you and I have a secret plan MWAHAHAHA."

Sure, but all I'm saying is that he was in P4A since this is probably the "same" Shadow Yu.

Caladrius

Oh god what the hell happened to me

Anyway, I wonder if they're going to leave Ultimax's story on a hook again or whether or not they're going to wrap things up. Part of me hopes that they touch on That-which-must-not be-named in 5. (Though not as a direct continuation of Ultimax)

FluxWaveZ

Anyway, I wonder if they're going to leave Ultimax's story on a hook again or whether or not they're going to wrap things up. Part of me hopes that they touch on That-which-must-not be-named in 5. (Though not as a direct continuation of Ultimax)

All I know is that it will be a major failure if all cliffhangers from P4A are not fulfilled in P4A2. Not sure whether or not P4A2 would conjure up some more questions that need answering, though. I guess it depends on whether or not they want to continue with the series, which there is a good chance of if P4A is indeed ASW's third pillar.

Not sure what "That-which-must-not-be-named" is, but if it's
Nyarlathotep
, I definitely don't want it in any big way in Persona 5. A new antagonist would be much more preferable.

Meia

All I know is that it will be a major failure if all cliffhangers from P4A are not fulfilled in P4A2. Not sure whether or not P4A2 would conjure up some more questions that need answering, though. I guess it depends on whether or not they want to continue with the series, which there is a good chance of if P4A is indeed ASW's third pillar.

Nyarlathotep
, I definitely don't want it in any big way in Persona 5. A new antagonist would be much more preferable.

I STILL think(P3 and P4 spoilz)
Nyarlathotep was involved in 3 and 4 anyway. The goals of the ultimate antagonists seemed to be too similar to it's own, not to mention they were similar to each other as well. I expect a different antagonist, but wondering if they're going with "save the world" again...

Nyarlathotep

I know trailers mean nothing, but I still get a sense that they're building to a
P-1
climax with Ultimax (Yu says something about the whole world being in danger, and needing to finish this once and for all). And I would like to see the Arena story finished off in the sequel, so that P5 can be a fresh, new experience with a new cast and new villain(s). That said, I agree with Flux, ASW rarely stops with two iterations of a fighting game, so I could easily see a third Arena game. If there are lingering mysteries or questions left in Ultimax - and if they're as obvious as the ones in Arena - then I'd say we're looking at a third game with a continuation of the story.

Nyarlathotep was involved in 3 and 4 anyway. The goals of the ultimate antagonists seemed to be too similar to it's own, not to mention they were similar to each other as well. I expect a different antagonist, but wondering if they're going with "save the world" again...

Plus that being's love of operating behind the shadows
2spooky

Dantis

I know trailers mean nothing, but I still get a sense that they're building to a
P-1
climax with Ultimax (Yu says something about the whole world being in danger, and needing to finish this once and for all). And I would like to see the Arena story finished off in the sequel, so that P5 can be a fresh, new experience with a new cast and new villain(s).

Gosh, so would I.

I really would.

Probably not at first but yeah, I could see them shoehorning some non sense like that into P4A2.

EMT0

Banned
I'd have zero problems with them dragging out Arena's unanswered questions into a monster franchise-spanning megaquest that takes three additional games
that are actually RPGs
to fully answer. I would be A-OK with that. I'd be ecstatic, tbh.

On another note, just started SMT: Persona, about 45 minutes in. My first impressions is, 'I hate the first person corridor navigation soooo much, but this soundtrack is so killer and the characters so far are well written enough that I just don't care'. Yeah, the delivery is rushed, such as
Nanjo losing his father figure in the first twenty minutes
but the actual delivery is working out fine, the characters feel developed.

Lunar15

Nah, let's keep Arena's fanfiction-tier writing to Arena. I can deal with it there, where it's like one big silly free-for-all, clearly slapped together so we can have a fighting game. But the moment any of that touches the mainline series, I'd get worried. I mean, even the fact that they're fighting their shadow selves again is so against the themes of the original game. But I'm "whatever" about it, because it's a fun, silly fighting game with characters I enjoy, and I'm willing to suspend my belief for a second to have some fun.

Nah, let's keep Arena's fanfiction tier writing to Arena. I can deal with it there, where it's like one big silly free-for-all, clearly slapped together so we can have a fighting game. But the moment any of that touches the mainline series, I'd get worried.

Meh, I bet the mainline Persona team can make it better.

Dantis

I'd have zero problems with them dragging out Arena's unanswered questions into a monster franchise-spanning megaquest that takes three additional games
that are actually RPGs
to fully answer. I would be A-OK with that. I'd be ecstatic, tbh.

On another note, just started SMT: Persona, about 45 minutes in. My first impressions is, 'I hate the first person corridor navigation soooo much, but this soundtrack is so killer and the characters so far are well written enough that I just don't care'. Yeah, the delivery is rushed, such as
Nanjo losing his father figure in the first twenty minutes
but the actual delivery is working out fine, the characters feel developed.

The soundtrack is amazing. When Buddha tells you it isn't, slap him.

no dantis endless arena sequels

I'm actually kidding. Arena doesn't bother me any more. I just ignore it.

EMT0

Banned
Nah, let's keep Arena's fanfiction tier writing to Arena. I can deal with it there, where it's like one big silly free-for-all, clearly slapped together so we can have a fighting game. But the moment any of that touches the mainline series, I'd get worried.

I feel like if they had actually tried to write a coherent story rather than having a free for all random jumble where who ends up fighting who and who guides Labrys through is a big question mark, that Arena's story would have ended up being a respectable dip into the water for what it implies. Arena's writing is fanfiction tier, IMO. The plot isn't. They've left too many teasers open for it to just be a one-off random plot, and it's been confirmed as canon. That Shadow Ops teaser pic just leaves too big of a gaping gap for Atlus to not cash in. So long as Arena continues to perform well financially, I'd bet we're going to be getting (MAJOR spoilers ahead)
a game dedicated to introducing the Shadow Operatives that will consist of a handful of P1/P2 characters, a game dedicated to the P2 cast, a game dedicated to the P1 cast, a game dedicated to Makoto Yuki being rescued, and accompanying 3D remakes and possibly animes depending on how ambitious Atlus/Sega get.

They've done a very good job growing the Persona franchise so far, and I've got the feeling that they're going to be gunning higher.

/my fanfiction

I finished the first game quite a few years ago on my PSP when it came out, Didn't exactly convert me to a fan of the franchise.

Never finished the Snow Queen quest though.

Sophia

I think some of you don't quite understand what "fanfiction-quality level writing" actually looks like. Arena's biggest problem with the story is that they used ArcSys's "everyone has their own story mode" style of storytelling, which just doesn't work for a series built on themes of being in a group.

Caladrius

The kawaiifier got borked again. I'm fixing it as we speak.

Meh, I bet the mainline Persona team can make it better.

Indeed. They've got a much bigger scale to work on and the story would be one of the most important components instead of being secondary to the central gameplay like in Arena.

If they want to put good ol' Nyarly in another mainline persona, I've got no issues with that. But I'd rather the games stay relatively separate with only some connections here and there.

Hence, "not a direct continuation to Ultimax." It's not to the point that I would want the P3/P4 characters to show up again, just a connection a bit more solid than the "
vague recurrent battle between two forces that are named in exactly two games that not many people played
"

What I'm saying is make them more explicitly linked but not require any prior knowledge to understand the story and provide a self-contained, compelling central conflict within the game.

I think some of you don't quite understand what "fanfiction-quality level writing" actually looks like. Arena's biggest problem with the story is that they used ArcSys's "everyone has their own story mode" style of storytelling, which just doesn't work for a series built on themes of being in a group.

Can't see how they would make it any other way, Unless they make it like Mortal Kombat and Injustice.

Any Japanese fighting game have a one path story with all characters?

Dantis

Its problems go much deeper than just its structure, although that isn't helping anything.

Fan fiction is possibly mildly unfair, but it is absolutely pure fan service. Like nearly everything in Golden, it is fluff.

Can't see how they would make it any other way, Unless they make it like Mortal Kombat and Injustice.

Dead or Alive 5 did. It was complete garbage, but I loved it because of, hilariously, the fan service. Lots of throwbacks, Ninja Gaiden references etc.

EMT0

Banned

Hey now, I only read good fanfiction. I just have high standards :(

Its problems go much deeper than just its structure, although that isn't helping anything.

Fan fiction is possibly mildly unfair, but it is absolutely pure fan service. Like nearly everything in Golden, it is fluff.

I don't think its pure fluff, I think they do upload the whole thing with way too much of it though. I feel like there is quality in there, but they have to surround it with things like Yukiko's box lunch, which, as a Yukiko fan, her being devolved into the but of a joke every single time annoys me.

I do feel like a LOT of P4G is fluff, but the ski trip and some other things save the new story content for me.

Also Dantis why would you quit a franchise you love and have been with just because they put in a character that looks like a little girl? (DoA) Then again, I almost quit when I saw a dog and a robot were party members in Persona 3 back when that was revealed to me way back in the day.

Sophia

Putting it on the same level as fanfiction is more than just midly unfair, it implies you have a complete misunderstanding of what actual fanfiction looks like. Switching the story structure to something more like that of Chronophantasia or Mortal Kombat would in turn fix a significant amount of the problems on its own.

I saw what you originally wrote before you edited. It's not impossible at all.

Not quite one path story, but there is Chronophantasia. Probably the ideal way to do it. One for the Shadow Operatives, one for the Investigation Team. Also the original Melty Blood, while having a branching story system, didn't use the specific each character has its own route method.

I don't think its pure fluff, I think they do upload the whole thing with way too much of it though. I feel like there is quality in there, but they have to surround it with things like Yukiko's box lunch, which, as a Yukiko fan, her being devolved into the but of a joke every single time annoys me.

I do feel like a LOT of P4G is fluff, but the ski trip and some other things save the new story content for me.

Yukiko's story mode in Persona 4 Arena is entirely because of the story structure. There just wasn't enough characterization alone for Yukiko to really have an entire story dedicated to her. Same thing with Kanji, Chie, and to a lesser degree Yosuke and Yu.

Caladrius

Stop with this fanfiction talk it makes me want to link some just to terrify you people with its true power.

Also Dantis why would you quit a franchise you love and have been with just because they put in a character that looks like a little girl? (DoA) Then again, I almost quit when I saw a dog and a robot were party members in Persona 3 back when that was revealed to me way back in the day.

The Yukiko gag overuse was irritating. I honestly remember nothing from her story aside from LUNCHLUNCHLUNCHLUNCHLUNCH

Also that avatar looks very delicious may I devour it?

Putting it on the same level as fanfiction is more than just midly unfair, it implies you have a complete misunderstanding of what actual fanfiction looks like. Switching the story structure to something more like that of Chronophantasia or Mortal Kombat would in turn fix a significant amount of the problems on its own.

Not quite one path story, but there is Chronophantasia. Probably the ideal way to do it. One for the Shadow Operatives, one for the Investigation Team.

I think a 3 route solution would be best. Makes it so you've got about 5 characters spread between each story. Lets it be focused without stretching character focus too thin.

Dantis

But the bits of Arena that aren't fluff are the bits that feel the most fan fictiony to me. Labrys' story was very... not good. And the Shadow Operatives stuff is full on fan fiction, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom