• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrovex

I think we have to hear something about it over the next few weeks. They've not really mentioned it since the reveal.

Also if you die I will play Miku, watch K-On Wolf Children, and Little Witch Academia in your honour.

I survived day one. I only have to fight for two more days, but these upcoming days will be far worse.

I rather you watch a high-quality film and a high-quality OVA in my honor rather than drivel.

Levito

Banned
Stop the anime recommendations for Dantis thing already. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL FUCK ENOUGH.

So I've been thinking, what do you guys think of ditching individual character levels in Persona entirely--and instead further flesh out social links/Persona fusions so that they're more complex.(Talking your party members levels here) I think it'd be more interesting if fusing and ranking up social links effected your combat stats.

It occurred to me that part member levels in Persona seem to be there more because it's a staple of the RPG genre moreso than anything else. They seem very disconnected from the rest of the game systems other than adding a carrot on a stick progression incentive for higher level fusions.

FluxWaveZ

Help me PersonaGAF, you're my only hope!

In Persona 4 Arena, during Aigis' campaign, at the moment where you meet shadow labrys in the announcement room (still disguised as general teddie) there is a song playing that I can't seem to find anywhere. It's the one that starts playing right at this moment. Would anyone be so kind as to tell me the name of the song?

Shadow. Plays in Persona 3 when the dorm is under attack at the very beginning of the game.

Gazoinks

Stop the anime recommendations for Dantis thing already. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL FUCK ENOUGH.

So I've been thinking, what do you guys think of ditching individual character levels in Persona entirely--and instead further flesh out social links/Persona fusions so that they're more complex.(Talking your party members levels here) I think it'd be more interesting if fusing and ranking up social links effected your combat stats.

It occurred to me that part member levels in Persona seem to be there more because it's a staple of the RPG genre moreso than anything else. They seem very disconnected from the rest of the game systems other than adding a carrot on a stick progression incentive for higher level fusions.

Part of that might also be because it's an adaptation of the SMT party system where your party members are more or less disposable. I like the idea of character progression being tied more into SLinks. Not necessarily all leveling, but stat boosts, new spells, and special abilities would be awesome. Kinda like the perks in P4, but more and character-specific.

Trigger

Tell us how you really feel.

Assuming I'm correctly understanding what you're saying here, I'd be somewhat concerned with party members falling behind in combat because I don't have the means to rank up their social links. Yukari for example is one of the first members you get and a staple of most P3 parties, but you need certain social stats just to unlock the Lovers social link. It doesn't help that you only get so much time with any of your social links between dungeons.

EMT0

Banned
I found a copy of Persona 4 during Gamestop's PS2 liquidation; came with a manual, the bonus disc, a case, all for $5. And a copy of Digital Devil Saga.

so_good.gif

Levito

Banned
Tell us how you really feel.

Only say this because it's an endless cycle. Dantis doesn't want to watch anime because he doesn't like it, that's fine. And even if he liked an anime he'd never admit it. :p

Assuming I'm correctly understanding what you're saying here, I'd be somewhat concerned with party members falling behind in combat because I don't have the means to rank up their social links. Yukari for example is one of the first members you get and a staple of most P3 parties, but you need certain social stats just to unlock the Lovers social link. It doesn't help that you only get so much time with any of your social links between dungeons.

I was thinking more along the lines of what Gazoinks was suggested. For your Yukari example, her combat stats would be upped with the party as a whole as every social link goes up--not so much each character has a social link and the only way to up their stats was to interact with them.

Though you could get bonuses for that particular character in combat if you maxed their s.link. (Like would it is now where they get better Persona)

Dantis

I survived day one. I only have to fight for two more days, but these upcoming days will be far worse.

I rather you watch a high-quality film and a high-quality OVA in my honor rather than drivel.

By your command.

For P4D my only real hope is that they include some P3 characters and music. Otherwise I feel like I know exactly what that game is going to be.

Really? I feel like we know nothing about it at all. What about the new character designs? The modes? Is there a story mode? Are songs character specific? Are all the dances going to look awful?

Feels like a completely unknown quantity to me.

FluxWaveZ

Really? I feel like we know nothing about it at all. What about the new character designs? The modes? Is there a story mode? Are songs character specific? Are all the dances going to look awful?

Feels like a completely unknown quantity to me.

There will most likely be a story mode. There is a specific focus on making the dancing in sync with the music.

We know a fair amount about P4D.

Dantis

There will most likely be a story mode. There is a specific focus on making the dancing in sync with the music.

We know a fair amount about P4D.

We have a very different opinion of what constitutes as 'a fair bit'.

We're assuming there is a story mode, because of that screenshot that looks pretty much like a VN scene of some kind. But don't know anything about it whatsoever. It might not even be a story mode, right? It might be some arcade mode like in Arena, with a slim story strewn throughout.

We're assuming there is a story mode, because of that screenshot that looks pretty much like a VN scene of some kind. But don't know anything about it whatsoever. It might not even be a story mode, right? It might be some arcade mode like in Arena, with a slim story strewn throughout.

nope it will be novel length, very dark, concern the fate of the entire series and its characters, and be heart wrenching and shocking. Oh and Ulala from Space Channel 5 is the final boss.

FluxWaveZ

No, I assume there's a story mode because of the very involved story premise as well as the developers saying that they are treating the story element as much as they were in the P4A series.

You said "completely unknown quantity." I'd say it's laughable if you associate that term with P4D considering Persona 5.

Dantis

nope it will be novel length, very dark, concern the fate of the entire series and its characters, and be heart wrenching and shocking. Oh and Ulala from Space Channel 5 is the final boss.

How bad is it that I genuinely find the concept of the Investigation Team dancing less bothersome than the concept of them fighting?

RaikuHebi

Banned
I can't be bothered anymore. Can somebody give me some tips for Shadow Mitsuo? Shall I just go on the floor below and grind an awful lot? Or is there a calculated way to beat him? My character's level is in the mid 30s, is it too low?

Dantis

I can't be bothered anymore. Can somebody give me some tips for Shadow Mitsuo? Shall I just go on the floor below and grind an awful lot? Or is there a calculated way to beat him? My character's level is in the mid 30s, is it too low?

You should be a bit higher, yeah.

If all else fails, fuse Black Frost and get Agidyne.

really disgustingly bad.

I find the idea of them dancing hilarious and dumb. The idea of them fighting triggered an incredible nerd rage.

Just stopping by quick to say that I got a promotion at work! :D

New copies of Persona 5 for everyone! You hear me ATLUS USA? Now you have to announce it! :p

Now, out to eat and drink and be merry, hee-ho!

King Fost

Neo Member

I have half a mind about this. I do think Social Links impacting the party member's combat prowess is a good idea. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of levels being removed or combat progression being solely tied to Social Links because there's just so much about it that could go wrong. Like, you might not have much time to improve some of the links due to scheduling concerns which can nerf them. If reversals and broken links are used more (and I recall numerous people supporting this), you can potentially screw over a party member by mistake. I dunno, there's other stuff too that I can't think of up the top of my head. Frankly, I think P4G got it right when it came to Social Links strengthening characters, even if the balance was off. Have them learn new skills the higher the link is or something or give them a stat boost. I don't think you need to ditch character levels.

Honestly most of your ideas would work better like this: Let's say the protagonist's initial persona is special and cannot be dismissed or used in fusion; in other words, it's a permanent part of the persona stock. This persona does learn some moves on level up but only a limited amount and up to a certain point. The persona can learn new techniques or get stat boosts or elemental changes based on how far in social links. Like, maxing the Magician link teaches Mind Charge for example. The persona evolves when you max all the links. Now let's also say you can determine your (and by extension your initial persona's) arcana at the beginning of the game in a similar way to Tactics Ogre. If a Social Link that matches your arcana increases, you get an additional stat boost or some other benefit that you wouldn't have gotten if your arcanas didn't match.

Something like this would work.

You should be a bit higher, yeah.

If all else fails, fuse Black Frost and get Agidyne.

Yup, just had this experience again the other day. Had trouble with him and then went for the go-to of Black Frost and mopped it up.

ALSO GOD DAMNIT THE WHOLE OF 11/05 IN PERSONA 4 IS FUCKING INFURIATING. For those who don't know (mid-late game spoilers)
When you open the goddamn letter in front of Dojima and don't bother to put your head in the TV after you tell him the truth. Fuckin' P4 MC.

Dantis

Talking about P4D, Rise is appearing as a moving portrait here, right?

http://gematsu.com/gallery/albums/p...ona-4-Dancing-All-Night_2013_12-02-13_004.jpg

Do you guys know? Wild guess but, if she is, this could be some kind of preview for P5 if they keep the portraits...

This has been suggested, yes.

The most interesting part to me is probably that Narukami is on the background, which possibly suggests some kind of movement, or at least, interaction, unlike in Arena.

Like I say, we know basically nothing as of yet.

This has been suggested, yes.

The most interesting part to me is probably that Narukami is on the background, which possibly suggests some kind of movement, or at least, interaction, unlike in Arena.

Like I say, we know basically nothing as of yet.

Oh I didn't know, sorry for repeating then.

I find it kinda weird how he isn't focused, but some things seems to be, like the chairs and the ladder. I also wonder if he'll talk on this one, because I have this feeling that he'll be silent, not sure why.

Yeah, I wish we had more info to discuss :(

Nachos

Honestly most of your ideas would work better like this: Let's say the protagonist's initial persona is special and cannot be dismissed or used in fusion; in other words, it's a permanent part of the persona stock. This persona does learn some moves on level up but only a limited amount and up to a certain point. The persona can learn new techniques or get stat boosts or elemental changes based on how far in social links. Like, maxing the Magician link teaches Mind Charge for example. The persona evolves when you max all the links. Now let's also say you can determine your (and by extension your initial persona's) arcana at the beginning of the game in a similar way to Tactics Ogre. If a Social Link that matches your arcana increases, you get an additional stat boost or some other benefit that you wouldn't have gotten if your arcanas didn't match.

I like the idea of this, but the biggest thing to avoid would be to make sure that it doesn't get too powerful until the point when it does evolve, because then there would be less incentive to use the other personae. I'm trying to think if something like Zeed in Soul Hackers would work: you have a specific persona that can't be dismissed and levels up as the protagonist does. It starts with the fool arcana but can be fused with any other persona to absorb the material arcana and completely rewrite its skillset.

Each arcana would then have its own predefined skillset and set of resistances that can be swapped to anytime by doing the proper fusion. That way, it would help round out the party while also giving a storyline persona that sticks with you for the entire game. By restricting its transformation to the velvet room, it doesn't become too versatile and still promotes hunting for less cards. To balance things even more, it could have lower average stats than the other personae around its level to make the others more viable until it gets the chance to evolve. Obviously social links wouldn't increase its level.

CorvoSol

And then Nozomi
was a Fairy Goddess.
Good-bye, my no-official-art-having-pixelated-friend.

So all I have left is to kill the Four Heavenly Kings and do the Prelims and Finals and then, maybe, JUST MAYBE the game will stop stalling me with bullshit filler and wrap up. On the other hand, I DID get Nozomi out of it.

LX_Theo

Banned
I have half a mind about this. I do think Social Links impacting the party member's combat prowess is a good idea. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of levels being removed or combat progression being solely tied to Social Links because there's just so much about it that could go wrong. Like, you might not have much time to improve some of the links due to scheduling concerns which can nerf them. If reversals and broken links are used more (and I recall numerous people supporting this), you can potentially screw over a party member by mistake. I dunno, there's other stuff too that I can't think of up the top of my head. Frankly, I think P4G got it right when it came to Social Links strengthening characters, even if the balance was off. Have them learn new skills the higher the link is or something or give them a stat boost. I don't think you need to ditch character levels.

Something like this would work.

This is genius its what it is.

I had a similar idea to this, although slightly worse, I thought maybe that as you level social links you could get perhaps get skill cards with abilities that can be used exclusively by personae of that arcana.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
And then Nozomi
was a Fairy Goddess.
Good-bye, my no-official-art-having-pixelated-friend.

So all I have left is to kill the Four Heavenly Kings and do the Prelims and Finals and then, maybe, JUST MAYBE the game will stop stalling me with bullshit filler and wrap up. On the other hand, I DID get Nozomi out of it.

That is truly the only downfall of the Neutral path.

King Fost

Neo Member
I like the idea of this, but the biggest thing to avoid would be to make sure that it doesn't get too powerful until the point when it does evolve, because then there would be less incentive to use the other personae. I'm trying to think if something like Zeed in Soul Hackers would work: you have a specific persona that can't be dismissed and levels up as the protagonist does. It starts with the fool arcana but can be fused with any other persona to absorb the material arcana and completely rewrite its skillset.

Each arcana would then have its own predefined skillset and set of resistances that can be swapped to anytime by doing the proper fusion. That way, it would help round out the party while also giving a storyline persona that sticks with you for the entire game. By restricting its transformation to the velvet room, it doesn't become too versatile and still promotes hunting for less cards. To balance things even more, it could have lower average stats than the other personae around its level to make the others more viable until it gets the chance to evolve. Obviously social links wouldn't increase its level.

Yeah on further thought, something like Zeed would probably be more balanced. In any case, it does make the initial persona more relevant, which is what I was kind of aiming for. I always found it weird how you can just get rid of Orpheus/Izanagi without a second thought; Makoto and Yu may share many of the same personas but their initial one is something special and is to them what their friends' personas are to them (that's the impression I got anyway). At the very least, you'd think that with Izanagi being pretty important to the themes and the storyline, they'd have made you keep it or something but they don't.

I'm kind of rambling now :p

That is truly the only downfall of the Neutral path.

Seems like from a storyline perspective, Neutral>>Law>Chaos

Because seriously, fuck Walter. He's a tool.

Andrefpvs

Just stopping by quick to say that I got a promotion at work! :D

New copies of Persona 5 for everyone! You hear me ATLUS USA? Now you have to announce it! :p

Now, out to eat and drink and be merry, hee-ho!

Hey, congrats!

Man, this read like you got a promotion at Atlus USA, lol

EMT0

Banned
First time playing through it right now. If what you're saying is true then I should go for the neutral route? How hard is it to get?

I played the game once, got Law despite choosing all the big negative decisions, played through again thinking I would score Neutral and Chaos in one playthrough, and then realize that despite keeping track of the points, I'd swung too far to Chaos and was going to be locked into it. And I more or less did the same damn things I did in the first playthrough too. If you get it, you're lucky, or at the very least, not an incompetent like I am .-.

King Fost

Neo Member
First time playing through it right now. If what you're saying is true then I should go for the neutral route? How hard is it to get?

I don't actually own the game, I just know the story.

Neutral route is definitely the hardest to get. Basically
at a certain point in the game, you choose either Law or Chaos for a certain period of time. You generally need to make decisions leaning heavily towards your chosen alignment but occasionally make statements in favor of the opposite. When you get to the White, say your ideal world is the one opposite to your alignment. You'll probably end up on Neutral after that. Otherwise, you're on either Law or Chaos towards the rest of the game. I think that's how it works anyway.

Really I just find Neutral the most satisfying storywise. Whether or not Law or Chaos is better largely depends on your preference for Walter or Johnathan and I did genuinely like Johnathan, whereas I don't really like Walter.

Isabeau is the best though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom