• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nachos

First time playing through it right now. If what you're saying is true then I should go for the neutral route? How hard is it to get?

I wouldn't know specifically, since I just stumbled into it by answering how I would personally, but from what I remember, the alignment spectrum ranges from -100 to +100. Each decision is going to add or subtract points from your personal score, with some being worth more points than others. As part of the final decision of the game, you'll be forced to choose a law or chaos answer to a question worth a big chunk of points. After this, if your alignment is between -8 and +8, you get locked into the neural path. Thus means that you can be too neutral, funnily enough, because at 0, the choice is enough to push you out of that range. Oh, and this number is invisible to the player.

There's a guy you can talk to who'll tell you your current alignment, but I never knew he existed when I played, so I dunno where he is. Oh, and part of completing the path involves finishing all the dude quests. I spent an extra ten hours trying to find a single side quest not on the bulletin board over the course of two weeks. And to be honest, I found all the endings rushed and kinda bad. It's just that the neutral one to has the most content, even when you don't count the side quest filler.

Yeah on further thought, something like Zeed would probably be more balanced. In any case, it does make the initial persona more relevant, which is what I was kind of aiming for. I always found it weird how you can just get rid of Orpheus/Izanagi without a second thought; Makoto and Yu may share many of the same personas but their initial one is something special and is to them what their friends' personas are to them (that's the impression I got anyway). At the very least, you'd think that with Izanagi being pretty important to the themes and the storyline, they'd have made you keep it or something but they don't.

I'm kind of rambling now :p

Yeah, I've been thinking about this a little while in the thread, and I think two of the biggest problems are how disposable the starter is and how the party members can rarely do anything better than you can. If they just fixed these two things, I'd be happy.
DgcZ465.jpg

938dXbt.jpg
They hunger.

wmlk

So, since I'm pretty much done Persona 4 I decided to check out some of the Golden stuff. Besides everything that has to do with Marie, everything else seems pretty tasteful. As spring approaches they really try to make you feel that everything's coming to a close. Snowflakes is pretty cool.

But seriously, I checked Marie's SL and it's really as bad as everyone says.

kewlmyc

...I didn't think it was that bad...

Nothing of note really happens. It's all build up to the new dungeon instead of being a 10 piece sidestory of the character coming to terms with a situation. Understandable, but still disappointing.

Still better than Nozumi (P3) though.

would any kind soul make me an avatar of either that Kamui, Yosuke/Susano-o combo, or Chie/Susuka Gongen combo? I'd do it myself but Adobe is a dastardly corporation with no care for the plight of the working man.

PK Gaming

just Yosuke:

just_yosuke_by_kinosaurus-d5cef0t.jpg

I'm pretty sure Yamato-Takeru is smaller than that but otherwise they're okay I guess
Awesome find!!!

Yeah on further thought, something like Zeed would probably be more balanced. In any case, it does make the initial persona more relevant, which is what I was kind of aiming for. I always found it weird how you can just get rid of Orpheus/Izanagi without a second thought; Makoto and Yu may share many of the same personas but their initial one is something special and is to them what their friends' personas are to them (that's the impression I got anyway). At the very least, you'd think that with Izanagi being pretty important to the themes and the storyline, they'd have made you keep it or something but they don't.

I'm kind of rambling now :p
Word! Persona 2:Innocent Sin had the best approach on initial Personas; they're viable for a long time. Usually right up until they can transform into their prime versions. At least Golden made Izanagi usable.
Seems like from a storyline perspective, Neutral>>Law>Chaos

Because seriously, fuck Walter. He's a tool.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. The law storyline was infuriating;
SMT Angels are the worst, and I couldn't deal with the hilariously pretentious and heavy handed message the game was shoving down my throat. ABSOLUTELY LAW IZ BAD OK! (vomits uncontrollably)
. I've always disliked the the law faction, but while they're tolerable in most game (see Devil Survivor 1) they're way too obnoxious in SMTIV. The law ending made me want to punch a wall.

EMT0

Banned
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. The law storyline was infuriating;
SMT Angels are the worst, and I couldn't deal with the hilariously pretentious and heavy handed message the game was shoving down my throat. ABSOLUTELY LAW IZ BAD OK! (vomits uncontrollably)
. I've always disliked the the law faction, but while they're tolerable in most game (see Devil Survivor 1) they're way too obnoxious in SMTIV. The law ending made me want to punch a wall.

It was my first SMT game so I figured the ending wasn't supposed to leave you happy based on the game's themes. Then I saw the other two endings and just....gah. I actually liked both Walter and Jonathan because neither was extremist from the onset and would sometimes hesitate or question what they did.....vaguely. That's honestly what SMT is missing to get its writing up to form. Go farther with the two factional heroes.

CorvoSol

Hey so Izanagi sorta stopped learning stuff. Do I fuse him or keep him around? I mean he's buff and cool, but if he's done . . .

Moonlight

Banned
Hey so Izanagi sorta stopped learning stuff. Do I fuse him or keep him around? I mean he's buff and cool, but if he's done . . .
In P4, I'd totally tell you to just fuse him into something else, but P4G, skill cards, and stat-up cards off Shuffle Time means that Izanagi can basically remain reasonably viable as long as you want him.

Nachos

just Yosuke:

just_yosuke_by_kinosaurus-d5cef0t.jpg

I'm pretty sure Yamato-Takeru is smaller than that but otherwise they're okay I guess

I really like that guy's use of color in some of his drawings:

Also, another mini art dump:

would any kind soul make me an avatar of either that Kamui, Yosuke/Susano-o combo, or Chie/Susuka Gongen combo? I'd do it myself but Adobe is a dastardly corporation with no care for the plight of the working man.
My computer's still out if commission, but let me know if this thing that I whipped up on my phone works (I honestly can't tell because of my phone's resolution).
sf55GVr.png

Squire

Banned
So, I was tweeting back and forth with Uraizen last night about BlazBlue/ASW in general. He thinks that lobby system in the console port of CP will be worked into P4A2's home release as well. I'd never thought of that.

PK Gaming

Tell him to hit the bricks, and beat it 'cause he is going OUT.

There's no point in salvaging Izanagi on your first run; there are better and less high maintenance Persona abound. Keeping him on NG+ is a lot more ideal, since you'll have amassed a ton of Skill Cards by that point, and you're more experienced with the game.

So, I was tweeting back and forth with Uraizen last night about BlazBlue/ASW in general. He thinks that lobby system in the console port of CP will be worked into P4A2's home release as well. I'd never thought of that.

Would you consider this a good thing or a bad thing. I have no strong opinion about it because I don't know what any of those words mean.

CorvoSol

Tell him to hit the bricks, and beat it 'cause he is going OUT.

There's no point in salvaging Izanagi on your first run; there are better and less high maintenance Persona abound. Keeping him on NG+ is a lot more ideal, since you'll have amassed a ton of Skill Cards by that point, and you're more experienced with the game.

Is there an equally cool looking upgrade down the road or no? I mean the dude is on the cover and stuff.

After using the arcade-styled lobbies in BBCP I see no reason why not bring them over. Sure you can't spectate in them (unless you can and I haven't read enough translations on how to/got lazy and never found out) but those lobbies are just meant for larger crowds. If you want your typical 8 person group and spectate you can still do that. I like the arcade lobby thing quite a bit actually so I'd like to see Arc implement it into the next Arena port.

fertygo

Is there an equally cool looking upgrade down the road or no? I mean the dude is on the cover and stuff.

Not really.. except for the ultimate persona for the end game.

Btw not for you, but I always think Loki is perfect fit for Yu.

tbPeb2M.jpg

Always being one of my main in P4 playthrough

Tabby

Y'know what I hate about Persona games?
They leave a big empty void in your heart when you finish them.
Damn it, you're not supposed to get me attached to the characters and then end the game.
No fair.

On another note, disappointed we didn't get to see Marie hang out with the gang more.
The bit after
Hollow Forest
was great.

If you want you could just give him growth spells and keep him around for if you're ever going to do NG+.
Other than that just fuse him.

Meia

Y'know what I hate about Persona games?
They leave a big empty void in your heart when you finish them.
Damn it, you're not supposed to get me attached to the characters and then end the game.
No fair.

Yep. I had a similar feeling at the end of 3 and 4, but it was for entirely different reasons obviously. 4 shouldn't have left me feeling sad, but it just kind of did, even knowing he was just a train ride away, ya know? Then of course Golden comes out and really shows that it was kind of silly to be sad to begin with. Of course, the ending wasn't as powerful because of that I guess.

But yeah, locking Marie in the Velvet Room was just a bad design decision that kind of smacked of laziness, and probably hurt what they were going after with her.

Akihiko, what are you doing? Don't you know Shinji is watching after all the "Did you see that" you've said over the years? STAHP.

Gazoinks

Yep. I had a similar feeling at the end of 3 and 4, but it was for entirely different reasons obviously. 4 shouldn't have left me feeling sad, but it just kind of did, even knowing he was just a train ride away, ya know? Then of course Golden comes out and really shows that it was kind of silly to be sad to begin with. Of course, the ending wasn't as powerful because of that I guess.

I really like P4's end for that reason. It's a fairly mundane ending, but it really does manage to be sad simply because of the connections forged with the characters.

Is this official? It uses the official logo for Persona 5 shown in the Persona Magazine Re:Birth issue.

Could this be a teaser for an upcoming trailer?

http://bindyour-self.tumblr.com

Only thing that makes me think fake is that anyone could take that logo and use it in a video.

I wish I could post scans of the Re:Birth issue to explain what I mean about the logo, but that's not allowed, so I won't.

I think it's fake because the font used in the video is different. Also, the Japanese says "Dev Blog". I can't imagine ATLUS using a dev blog on Tumblr, when their official site has a dev blog.

Yep. Seems most likely fake.

I would think it's odd for Atlus to have a dev blog on Tumblr. They could just put a blog section on the main site that would redirect to the Atlusnet Creator's Blogs.

Oh, well. Back to waiting for more info.

Meia

Yep. Seems most likely fake.

I would think it's odd for Atlus to have a dev blog on Tumblr. They could just put a blog section on the main site that would redirect to the Atlusnet Creator's Blogs.

Oh, well. Back to waiting for more info.

Well, to be fair, it IS Tuesday! :D

Is this official? It uses the official logo for Persona 5 shown in the Persona Magazine Re:Birth issue.

Could this be a teaser for an upcoming trailer?

http://bindyour-self.tumblr.com

Only thing that makes me think fake is that anyone could take that logo and use it in a video.

I wish I could post scans of the Re:Birth issue to explain what I mean about the logo, but that's not allowed, so I won't.

I think it's fake because the font used in the video is different. Also, the Japanese says "Dev Blog". I can't imagine ATLUS using a dev blog on Tumblr, when their official site has a dev blog.

Could have at least used the same font.

Well, to be fair, it IS Tuesday! :D

True, but hasn't everything already leaked out? The new Senran Kagura game, for example.

Is there any confirmation that P5 will be shown in Famitsu? The last news we got appeared in Dengeki PlayStation and Persona Magazine. (which is also run by Dengeki)

Dantis

True, but hasn't everything already leaked out? The new Senran Kagura game, for example.

Is there any confirmation that P5 will be shown in Famitsu? The last news we got appeared in Dengeki PlayStation and Persona Magazine. (which is also run by Dengeki)

Doesn't Dengeki leak on Tuesdays too though?

PK Gaming

There is an upgrade to Izanagi, but it's really late in the game (like the last possible day) and its kind of tricky to get on your first run.

That said, there are some cool alternatives to Izanagi. I'll list a few cool Persona you can get specific levels.

-Ose (lvl 31, Fool): Tiger warrior with 2 swords. Do I really need to say more?
-Black Frost(lvl 38, Fool): It's a giant black jack frost that kicks some Hee-ho ass!
-Loki (lvl 64, Fool): Pretty cool Persona i'd say. One of the earliest obtainable ultimate Persona.
-Thor (lvl 65, Chariot): The son of Asgard's a beast in Persona 4.
-Trumpeter (lvl 67, Trumpeter): This one's a fan favorite. The Trumpeter gets arguably the best skill in the game (debilitate) and it learns Zio skills!
-Yoshitsune(lvl 75, Tower): Bad ass samurai Persona, hands down the best Persona in the game. *Note: You need to max out the Tower Social Link in order to fuse this Persona.

Kazzy

I was having a discussion about Persona before, and it just reminded how wildly different a lot of us perceive certain characters. I guess that it's only fitting, seeing as this is a series that very much concerns itself with identity and how that permeates itself in the wider world. Still, it made me spend a little more time pondering a character, who, truth be told, has never really endeared herself all that much to me - Naoto.

The statement that her story was just "that she accepts being a woman" irritate me somewhat, because I think that's extremely reductive, and a little dismissive of her actual role within the narrative. It’s not so much that Naoto has to accept that, but being comfortable with how society treats traditional gender roles. Part of my annoyance with the character of Naoto is frankly, not in how she’s portrayed, but how others perceive her. Ostensibly, at odds with how she views herself, and by extension, how society views her, she is at constant cross-roads - either submit or rebel. Unfortunately she feels stifled by the system and negates this in the only way she knows how; invert it by becoming what they accept - a man.

The folly of her character is that she’ extremely logical in an illogical world. Her desired occupations, down to her interests, are all traditionally male-dominated pursuits. Her age, along with her gender all but prevent her from fulfilling her dreams - handicapped by nothing other than inherently flawed social conventions. Her role as the “Detective Prince” is indicative of this, being an amalgamation of the heroes she came to idolize in media - powerful, assured, males.

It’s almost as if the fanbase forgets this core aspect of the character, and instead what we are left with is comments about how “oh, she’s so sexy.” A lot of people (though not all) always refer to after the fact of her 'transformation', almost as if one (very important) facet of the character doesn't even exist. It completely belays the fact, and people instead are implicit to the grand irony at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom