• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was having a discussion about Persona before, and it just reminded how wildly different a lot of us perceive certain characters. I guess that it's only fitting, seeing as this is a series that very much concerns itself with identity and how that permeates itself in the wider world. Still, it made me spend a little more time pondering a character, who, truth be told, has never really endeared herself all that much to me - Naoto.

The statement that her story was just "that she accepts being a woman" irritate me somewhat, because I think that's extremely reductive, and a little dismissive of her actual role within the narrative. It’s not so much that Naoto has to accept that, but being comfortable with how society treats traditional gender roles. Part of my annoyance with the character of Naoto is frankly, not in how she’s portrayed, but how others perceive her. Ostensibly, at odds with how she views herself, and by extension, how society views her, she is at constant cross-roads - either submit or rebel. Unfortunately she feels stifled by the system and negates this in the only way she knows how; invert it by becoming what they accept - a man.

The folly of her character is that she’ extremely logical in an illogical world. Her desired occupations, down to her interests, are all traditionally male-dominated pursuits. Her age, along with her gender all but prevent her from fulfilling her dreams - handicapped by nothing other than inherently flawed social conventions. Her role as the “Detective Prince” is indicative of this, being an amalgamation of the heroes she came to idolize in media - powerful, assured, males.

It’s almost as if the fanbase forgets this core aspect of the character, and instead what we are left with is comments about how “oh, she’s so sexy.” A lot of people (though not all) always refer to after the fact of her 'transformation', almost as if one (very important) facet of the character doesn't even exist. It completely belays the fact, and people instead are implicit to the grand irony at work.

You could have just said that it was a discussion with me.

CorvoSol

So I hate to be that guy but uh, I'm guessing that Naoto's gender isn't a big spoiler? Cuz where I'm at in P4
Naoto is a guy?

Dantis

OH SHIT.

Whoever posted the picture, you're awful.

So, sorry about that. I guess it's the kind of thing where so much media has referenced it since release that it's no longer a thing to a lot of us? I'm not sure there's a way around it.

Gazoinks

So I hate to be that guy but uh, I'm guessing that Naoto's gender isn't a big spoiler? Cuz where I'm at in P4
Naoto is a guy?

Oh, sorry. Yeah, it's one of those things that's kind of a spoiler but everyone's kind of internalized it at this point. It's not really that big of a deal, though.

Meia

To be honest, you'd have to be incredibly stupid to not see through that facade.

Yeah, um, I didn't either. I was more pre-occupied about who might be a killer that that kind of thing didn't even cross my mind to not take at face value. :p

Not to mention I think that was the first game I ever played that something like that came up in. At least if memory serves. But yeah, we're sorry about that one. There's some things we take at face value in terms of spoiling, and that's one that people by and large forget is something a new player doesn't find out til, well, late.

Then again, grand scheme, it's fairly small considering other things. Still, sorry.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Ignoring the fact that this doesn't make sense in the given context, she wears a catsuit in the game, maaaan. High heeled boots and all.

And yet you chose that very outfit, instead of the various others you could have drawn her in.

Levito

Banned
abe-simpson-gif.gif

Nachos

Why don't you think it'll happen? That sounds very plausible. Spend 60$ on P5 digitally and then stream it from your PS4/VITA or what ever.

Because streaming isn't free, particularly with the amount of data games would need to stream in comparison to something like movies. Say that, by volume, games and movies require the same amount of data in a given amount of time. Movies are about two hours, whereas with Persona, we're talking about a game people play for tens to hundreds of hours, sometimes several times in a row. When you have a lot of people streaming at once, Sony certainly would rack up a significant amount of costs.

Is this official? It uses the official logo for Persona 5 shown in the Persona Magazine Re:Birth issue.

Could this be a teaser for an upcoming trailer?

http://bindyour-self.tumblr.com

Only thing that makes me think fake is that anyone could take that logo and use it in a video.

I wish I could post scans of the Re:Birth issue to explain what I mean about the logo, but that's not allowed, so I won't.

I think it's fake because the font used in the video is different. Also, the Japanese says "Dev Blog". I can't imagine ATLUS using a dev blog on Tumblr, when their official site has a dev blog.

I haven't seen the magazine yet, but it's interesting that the P5 logo is similar to the one in the video. They basically ditched all traces of Japanese text with the P3 and P4 logos, so it'd be cool if they're representing a shift in focus just by reintroducing it. It's clearly fake, but not because of the choice in typeface.

If I remember right, the first trailer used Helvetica Neueu Condensed, which doesn't really have a good Japanese counterpart. Part of the reason English-based logos are so common in Japan is because there are so few Japanese fonts (since a usable font needs to have hundreds to thousands of characters drawn). (Also, most logos with Japanese characters are commissioned and custom made, meaning that the only letterforms that exist period are those in the logo). Plus, it's generally easier to match typefaces across languages if they all have serifs, whether it be English, Japanese, or Russian. So I actually wouldn't be surprised if the next trailer uses them, assuming it has any Japanese text instead of "you are slave."

Nachos

Let's say it's more "unobservant" rather than "stupid"

Normally I'd agree, but considering that there are so many factors that can play into this sort of thing on the production side, like miscasts, I can't blame them for being willing to suspend their disbelief.

What if Naoto really was just an androgynous dude with a higher pitched voice? Remember that he would be a high schooler, so not many guys would be able to remove enough resonance from their voice to fit in that gray area. So you cast a women to do it and have her add resonance. Depending on both the actress and the director, the performance could really belie who the character actually is.

Screw the anime for not using the same voice actor. Now everyone makes assumptions.

It's probably because Bang Zoom didn't know who it was when they recorded the anime for Sentai. PCB would, since they recorded the game, but legally, they can't release that info without the artist's consent. I think even Michelle Ann Dunphy said on the podcast that Naoto's normal vice actress might be union, so if she was outed, she'd be kicked out of the union and have her reputation tarnished throughout the entire industry. So, unable to find her, they just recast the role.

Sophia

It's probably because Bang Zoom didn't know who it was when they recorded the anime for Sentai. PCB would, since they recorded the game, but legally, they can't release that info without the artist's consent. I think even Michelle Ann Dunphy said on the podcast that Naoto's normal vice actress might be union, so if she was outed, she'd be kicked out of the union and have her reputation tarnished throughout the entire industry. So, unable to find her, they just recast the role.

Atlus should have just handled the anime themselves instead of Sentai. Ugh.

kewlmyc

Hey, we might see the first P3 Movie in the west by the time Persona 6 comes out!
Fansub probably won't take long. Offical release probably by the end of next year.

I've heard that Junpei's Believe It or Don't was animated (as shown by pan-hime's posts), but not in the theatrical release. Odd...

FluxWaveZ

Fansub probably won't take long. Offical release probably by the end of next year.

I've heard that Junpei's Believe It or Don't was animated (as shown by pan-hime's posts), but not in the theatrical release. Odd...

I thought that people usually didn't do fansubs of camrips. If that'd be the case, I wouldn't really expect a fansub until it'd actually be out on DVD/Blu-ray.

And I thought that the Believe it or Don't shots from the P3M website were just teases for movie #2.

Jintor

Not really, Naoto seemed like the typical effeminate male in anime, The Japanese voice also made it seem more ambiguous.

She was way better hidden in the anime, but I think the VA they used in the game is perhaps too obvious.

Vinny and Jeff get it right away, though they get confused as to whether the game is actively trying to fool them or not

And I thought that the Believe it or Don't shots from the P3M website were just teases for movie #2.

That can't be, since Believe It or Don't was in relation to the ghost story about the school during the "rescue Fuuka" arc, and the first movie supposedly ends after the fight against the Emperor and Empress Shadows.

CorvoSol

To be honest, you'd have to be incredibly stupid to not see through that facade.

In fairness I only just met Naoto. Like I just got done to the part where
Kanji is on the Midnight channel and Yosuke's freaking out.
I mean the voice actress is pretty clearly a lady, but then again, there are so many examples of that not meaning much.

I mean I'm sure it isn't a big spoiler, but I only just met Naoto.

Sorry Corvo :(

As many times as I've done it on accident to others, I forgive. Like I said, I guess it isn't a big spoiler, so I'm not worried. It's going to make the rest of the
"Is Kanji gay?" arc sort of strange to sit through, now.

FluxWaveZ

That can't be, since Believe It or Don't was in relation to the ghost story about the school during the "rescue Fuuka" arc, and the first movie supposedly ends after the fight against the Emperor and Empress Shadows.

Ah, I actually didn't know when the first movie ended. If that's the timeline and the daily shots from P3M are actually supposed to be from movie #1 but didn't make it in the theatrical release, I guess they would be cut content for the home release?

Jintor

As many times as I've done it on accident to others, I forgive. Like I said, I guess it isn't a big spoiler, so I'm not worried. It's going to make the rest of the
"Is Kanji gay?" arc sort of strange to sit through, now.

If anything, it just makes it weirder

Nachos

Atlus should have just handled the anime themselves instead of Sentai. Ugh.

They probably couldn't, since I'm sure a lot of the skills and avenues for publishing games can't just be transplanted over to DVD and blu-ray publishing. It's not even really Sentai's fault in this case, except for maybe having Bang Zoom contracted to do the recording in advance before everything was sorted out. They would've translated and localized the script to hand over, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had no idea Naoto's actress is still unknown.

Even with non-union actors not being credited for their stuff, it's usually easy to figure out who did what, since most of these actors are going to keep auditioning for roles. It's very rare when an actor does a one-off performance and even rarer when they remain unknown for five years. Sentai probably assumed it would've been easy to track her down, but with no one claiming to have done it, Bang Zoom had to do the best with what they had.

I think Sentai sucks, but in this case, I can't really blame them.

Okay everyone, here's the first wave of Persona Q iOS wallpapers!

Persona 1:

Naoya Tōdō (Protagonist / Boy with Earring)
Naoya Tōdō (Shadow)
Maki Sonomura
Masao Inaba
Kei Nanjo
Hidehiko Uesugi
Eriko Kirishima
Yuka Ayase
Reiji Kido
Yukino Mayuzumi

Persona 2:

Tatsuya Suou
Maya Amano
Ulala Serizawa

Persona 3:

Makoto Yuki
Mokoto Yuki
Mitsuru Kirijo
Akihiko Sanada
Shinjiro Aragaki

Persona 4:

Yu Narukami
Yosuke Hanamura
Chie Satonaka
Yukiko Amagi

Persona Q:

Rei
Zen

Characters from Personas 1 & 2 are possible thanks to the lovely art of http://personaslave.tumblr.com/!

[Disclaimer: I know the Persona 1 and 2 wallpapers look a little "fuzzy" on deviantART at full size. I did test them on my own iPhone and they look just fine, so go ahead and use them! :D]

Also, I know some (many?) people here don't use iPhones but have Android devices instead-- if there's a wallpaper currently available that you want, just let me know which one and your phone's screen resolution and I'll make it happen for you!

I'm still fine tuning the Vita wallpapers for this set to get them just right, and they'll be following soon-ish. And, as more characters are revealed on the official Persona Q website I'll get started on wave #2.

Enjoy my friends! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom