• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, just blew my own mind finding a little Easter egg that actually made me pretty sad, finding Saki and her brother talking right when you first get to Inaba in P4. I love finding new things in new playthroughs!
A thing I didn't notice in my first playthrough (if it actually was there) was finding
Namatame
around. It was very very cool, and this one too is pretty sad though

Nachos

Speaking of the Wolf Children dub, I was surprised that the actress who voices Hana also voices Luffy in the One Piece dub. With how cartoonish that show is, it's surprising to hear those actors speak like actual people.

He totally saved his mother though. It's not like he saw the bears attacking her and then left; he just slipped out quietly and then came to her rescue when she almost got herself killed going after him.

His fight with Yuki was his only real dickish moment, but even then it was just an extrapolation of an average fight between siblings, something which once again I also had my fair share of, being the eldest of three.

Plus, he's half wolf. I don't think it's really fair to criticize him by a completely human set of standards, since he basically has two sets of instincts running through him, likely conflicting with each other. No amount of human exposure would be able to override that completely, as seen by
the wolfman's fate.

Yeah, that's pretty much why it wouldn't work on a random NPC, unless P5 is in an English -speaking country for some reason.
As much as I love them, I really doubt they'll ever set any Personas they develop in any places other than Japan. As much as I liked Catherine, it was still clearly a very Japanese game, showing that they really didn't have the confidence to make a fully American setting and convey it convincingly. It's likely the reason why the set pieces are so disjointed, mostly because they were worried about the weird idiosyncrasies that might pop up had they filled in those blanks.

v3wy.jpg
Finally. This might be another one of the small OSTs I need to import. Still, I'm pretty annoyed by non-standard sized digi-paks for when I need to add album artwork to the song rips.

Squire

Banned
Speaking of the Wolf Children dub, I was surprised that the actress who voices Hana also voices Luffy in the One Piece dub. With how cartoonish that show is, it's surprising to hear those actors speak like actual people.

Finally. This might be another one of the small OSTs I need to import. Still, I'm pretty annoyed by non-standard sized digi-paks for when I need to add album artwork to the song rips.

That's Colleen Clinkenbeard. She's so great. Definitely a gem in the FUNi stable of actors. She's dubbed a lot of cool characters. She's playing Scarlett on Space Dandy right now, but that show is sort of shit, so whatever. She's amazing as Hana though. I was really surprised and impressed.

That SMTIV OST cover is one of the best album covers I've seen in a while. Not just talking about soundtracks here, either.

Dantis

Smart cover. Can't say I'll buy it though. Not very impressed with anything I've heard from it.

Also, if that picture is by Doi, that's hilarious. Japanese art direction is silly.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I mean because it's so well drawn and he's stuck drawing 2D cartoon art all the time, when he can clearly do proper digital paintings.

CorvoSol

Mother fucking
Shadow Mitsuo

What the fuck am I supposed to do here? I fucking frag his infant ass with souped up Agidyne twice and that shell doesn't fall apart. The fuck. Then it's "Oh BTW I'm gonna murder Yukiko by hitting her two times in a row" and then "HEAL YUKIKO" and I'm like "I HAVE NO MEANS OF REVIVING THE ONLY PERSON WITH A LIFE SPELL."

LATHER.

FUCKING.

REPEAT.

You know what would rock? If Kanji 1) Had MP worth talking about and 2) Had Marakukaja, cuz then he could keep defense up while Yukiko and Teddie kept HP up and Yu took his mother fucking time charging his magic up.

Or if the boss had a weakness. Or if the boss stopped cheating and raising his goddamn paper hero every two turns despite my dishing out 400 damage to his cheap ass.

All I want is to continue the game but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Jintor

Fuse yourself a Black Frost and Mindcharge that asshole into oblivion.

Mitsuo
is probably the biggest mandatory difficulty hump in the game, except maybe Shadow Yukiko.

Dantis

Sounds like you're underlevelled. Are you using Black Frost?

You should be in your low 40s for that fight.

^Spoiler tag that, Jintor.

CorvoSol

Fuse yourself a Black Frost and Mindcharge that asshole into oblivion.

Mitsuo
is probably the biggest mandatory difficulty hump in the game, except maybe Shadow Yukiko.

I have Black Frost. He's not the end all be all everyone's making him out to be. Sure, Yu is invincible to fire and ice and sure, Yu actually does damage worth talking about.

TOO BAD. TEAM DEAD ANYWAY. WOULD YOU LIKE TO READ A SHITTY POEM WHILE YOU MASH X TO RESTART?

I guess I could be underleveled. Yu is level 38, Yukiko and Teddie are 36, and Kanji is sitting useless at 33, but since Yosuke and Chie (36 both) aren't anymore useful than him and he has more HP than either of them, I figured what the hey.

Sophia

You are underleveled a bit. Black Frost with Mind Charge + Agidyne (both learned naturally at 40 and 43) should make quick work of the shield. Also my preferred party is usually Yu/Yukiko/Yosuke/Teddie, as Kanji/Chie usually lack the SP to last out the fight. This is a battle of endurance, more so than any other fight in the game, and double healing/buffing rocks too.

Also, your whole party should be defending for the burst of elemental spells that come after the shield falls off. You will take way too much damage otherwise and open yourself up to Megidola.

Dantis

I have Black Frost. He's not the end all be all everyone's making him out to be. Sure, Yu is invincible to fire and ice and sure, Yu actually does damage worth talking about.

TOO BAD. TEAM DEAD ANYWAY. WOULD YOU LIKE TO READ A SHITTY POEM WHILE YOU MASH X TO RESTART?

I guess I could be underleveled. Yu is level 38, Yukiko and Teddie are 36, and Kanji is sitting useless at 33, but since Yosuke and Chie (36 both) aren't anymore useful than him and he has more HP than either of them, I figured what the hey.

You're underlevelled. That's why you're losing.

Low 40s.

Acid08

Banned

Go back and do some of the previous dungeons if you haven't already. Just kill all the Gold Hands you find, they're basically a guaranteed level per fight.

Everyone needs to be leveled up. And I assume everyone has good armor and accessories equipped?

Lemstar

What the fuck am I supposed to do here? I fucking frag his infant ass with souped up Agidyne twice and that shell doesn't fall apart. The fuck. Then it's "Oh BTW I'm gonna murder Yukiko by hitting her two times in a row" and then "HEAL YUKIKO" and I'm like "I HAVE NO MEANS OF REVIVING THE ONLY PERSON WITH A LIFE SPELL."

Are you really out of consumables? I can't imagine you've used all your revival beads at this point.

Meia

As a point, I'll also give this piece of advice: Never ever keep any revival spells on your other characters, or your own personas.

SP is always at a premium in this game, and it's always expensive to replenish. It's cheaper to buy a fuckton of Revival Beads for the whole game(I almost always keep 10 on me in case) and just use one of those on any character to revive someone. It's also better than depending on a person with a revive spell specifically to cast the spell. Usually every character has far better stuff you'd want to have on them in the first place than recarm or samarecarm.

As others said, the boss you're on now is a "test" boss, especially since it's your first experience with a boss attacking twice per turn. Mind Charge + Agidyne should be doing a lot of damage, more if the persona has Fire Boost on it as well(though the accessory to increase fire damage is as good here). You're also probably at a point where you want to have a persona capable of at least casting Marakukaja on the party to lessen what the boss is doing(and if it's still too early for that, Tarunda will do the exact same thing). Also worth keeping note that both of these effects "stack". If the boss is doing 200 damage normally, a Tarunda will cause him to do 150, and then a Rakukaja will cause him to only do 100 to that person. This also works with the +attack/-defense, and the +evasion/-hit rate effects. If Agidyne does 100 damage, a Mind Charge Agidyne will do 250. If Rakunda is on the boss, it will do 300. If Tarukaja is on the MC on top of it, it'll do 350.

Ultimately, just level more. You're at a point where you can fuse a Tao Tie(fuse a Shiisa, Lamia, and Ara Mitama) with Megido, and if Black Frost has Mind Charge, just farm Gold Hands. First turn with Yu Mind Charge, second turn Megido. Helps if you have Chie cast Tarukaja on the MC as well on the first turn. Chances are good you'll kill all of the hands, and you'll probably gain like 5 levels in 30 minutes. May even be worth going back to the strip club and killing just the gold hands there, as those things give a ton of money and exp no matter where you are(and you can easily dodge underleveled shadows).

Sophia

I'd like to point out that the boss is basically one giant strategy check. Not terribly hard, but if you've been skipping shadows on your way to him and you're underleveled, or you aren't keeping your Persona/gear up to date, you will get walloped.

Buffs are extremely useful in this fight by the way. Anything that will raise your evasion or defense, or lower your enemy's defense or attack will help significantly. Yosuke will have Sukukaja, which I generally try to keep up on Yukiko because there's a good chance she'll dodge some of the bosses more's nasty attacks. And as Meia said, Tarunda/(Ma)Rakukaja if you have em.

Jonnax

As a point, I'll also give this piece of advice: Never ever keep any revival spells on your other characters, or your own personas.

Why'd you say that? Do enemies become more powerful if your active party has revival spells? The revival item is sorta on the expensive side especially if you don't want to be grinding for money and have some left over for new weapons.

Meia

Why'd you say that? Do enemies become more powerful if your active party has revival spells? The revival item is sorta on the expensive side especially if you don't want to be grinding for money and have some left over for new weapons.

Just that they're very situational. You have to hope that the one you revive isn't the one that has the spell, first off, so that's a one in three chance right from the get-go. Then you have to hope they don't have a status ailment or whatever. Third, the person with the revive spell also is the one to heal, so would you rather use, say a revival bead on the character before the healer goes, then the healer bring them up to full, or use Recarm on the healer and hope for the best?

Samarecarm is better since Balms of Life don't appear like candy like revival beads do, but even then if you're using an AoE heal on the healer anyway, you just lose one character's turn by using a revival bead. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think that's worth it by losing out on one skill on one of the characters. Not sure what Teddie's skillset is like, but Yukiko's is kind of stacked as it is.

Agidyne
Maragidyne
Amrita
Diarahn
Mediarahn
Fire Boost
Fire Amp
Fire Break

Things get less strict late when you get Salvation to replace Mediarahn, or if you just don't want to keep Diarahn I guess, but I still wouldn't use a slot for samarecarm for the above reasons. Early on, Recarm is kind of bad because of what I said...

The easier it is to get Revival Beads to bring something back to life, the less important Recarm spells become in games like this. At least in SMT 4 it made sense for like as many demons to have them as possible in case the MC dies, as I'd rather have a spell slot used on a Recarm than I would on the ability for the demon to use a healing item.

Dantis

wAYGYgq.jpg

Interesting screenshot. FeMC can't get a maid outfit, I don't think. Removed from the game for some reason?

I love it, Dantis. One of your best pieces-- can't wait to see how the rest come out!

EDIT:

I have to go back and see what Yukari stuff you've made, Dantis. Your style is really excellent, and my avatar needs some updating...

Thanks! I haven't drawn much Yukari stuff to be honest (Or even much P3 stuff tbh). If you have any ideas for outfits or whatever for Yukari, then I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks! I haven't drawn much Yukari stuff to be honest (Or even much P3 stuff tbh). If you have any ideas for outfits or whatever for Yukari, then I'm open to suggestions.

I don't know if it's in your plans or not, but I'd actually like to see Yukari in the FeMC-style winter outfit. It's one of Soejima's best designs, and seeing as Yukari is already fashionable and trendy, I think it'd be a nice fit for her. If not that, then maybe her own winter outfit? I've always liked that one.

EDIT:

So, Persona 3 complaint. I totally forgot how much I hate fatigue. Want to grind for a while?
Whoop, nope. You're tired. Try again later.
Frustrating.

Agreed. I much, much prefer the fatigue system in P3P, since I'm rarely wanting to go to Tartarus two nights in a row.

PK Gaming

Sorry Corvo, I shouldn't have dissuaded you from grinding.

At the bare minimum, you should get Yukiko to level 43 for Mediarama and Teddie to 42 for Matarukaja(+atk for everyone in the party). You'll want to find a Persona with Marakukaja (+def). Triglav (lvl 43 Chariot) and Parvarti (lvl 37 Priestess) are Personas that around your level range with access to Marakukaja.

You can use this handy trick to grind for EXP
1) Go through a dungeon and search for a golden hand shadow and kill it
2) Go the the next floor.
3) Return to the previous floor. The golden hand should respawn (most of the time)

Meia said:
Everything in this post is right on the mark. Recarm spells aren't that useful in the Persona games.

Dantis said:
Interesting screenshot. FeMC can't get a maid outfit, I don't think. Removed from the game for some reason?
Sure she can, it's my go-to armor in the endgame. (I don't remember how I got it though...)

Meia

AWESOME work!!
May I give you a little suggestion? )) Your skills are great, but faces need a little more work, to add more individuality to character

More to a point, the lower face and maybe cheek structure. When people said the early Chie pic looked a little like Naoto, it's probably what they were getting at. You have a tendency to draw very similar facial expressions in your pics, so maybe that's the actual problem.

Still, it's a marvelous picture, and really great ideas on the coloring to be more in tune with the character. :)

Sorry Corvo, I shouldn't have dissuaded you from grinding.

At the bare minimum, you should get Yukiko to level 43 for Mediarama and Teddie to 42 for Matarukaja(+atk for everyone in the party). You'll want to find a Persona with Marakukaja (+def). Triglav (lvl 43 Chariot) and Parvarti (lvl 37 Priestess) are Personas that around your level range with access to Marakukaja.

As point of fact, I think I alternated between Black Frost when I wanted to do damage, and a Parvarti if I wanted to heal or buff. The level idea is spot on though, you really should be around that mark. Mediarama is a massive spell, and especially since Yukiko gets easy access to Divine Grace, you *really* want to have that spell going forward. A combo of both at this point in the game will be a guarantee full heal.

Rizzi

I don't know if it's in your plans or not, but I'd actually like to see Yukari in the FeMC-style winter outfit. It's one of Soejima's best designs, and seeing as Yukari is already fashionable and trendy, I think it'd be a nice fit for her. If not that, then maybe her own winter outfit? I've always liked that one.

EDIT:

Agreed. I much, much prefer the fatigue system in P3P, since I'm rarely wanting to go to Tartarus two nights in a row.

I didn't know P3P changed the way it did fatigue. Might be time to see if I can pick up a cheap Vita again..

I haven't looked at twitter yet, but I hope to god you mean you're a firefighter and you have to save kittens and your house hasn't burnt down :(

lol

No, there's fires in my area, like, MUCH closer than I've ever seen. Luckily they aren't as close to me and as long as winds don't change that should stay the case, but some houses up a ways have burned down already :(

Probably gonna do some S. Linking to try and get off edge a bit.

Dantis

AWESOME work!!
May I give you a little suggestion? )) Your skills are great, but faces need a little more work, to add more individuality to character

More to a point, the lower face and maybe cheek structure. When people said the early Chie pic looked a little like Naoto, it's probably what they were getting at. You have a tendency to draw very similar facial expressions in your pics, so maybe that's the actual problem.

Still, it's a marvelous picture, and really great ideas on the coloring to be more in tune with the character. :)
Let's just say that it's a valid criticism that I'm aware of, haha.

At this point, I'm more trying to make my pictures not look terrible though, so as long as you can identify who the character is, I consider it a success.

FZ4SVIS.jpg

wow
such cuteness
best team

Huh. I literally never knew that this was a costume for her.

misterF

Neo Member
I'm about 50 hours into Persona 3 FES and after failing to get into any jrpgs this gen I'm glad I gave this game a shot. I haven't read too much of this thread by fear of spoiling myself so I'm sure that some of the stuff I'm going to say has been talked about many times before.

What I'm liking so far :

- I love the options they give you during the day and that each action causes time to pass, forcing me to plan the day ahead. I probably won't be able to max out all s-links but that's a positive for me because I like that I had to choose which character I wanted to find out more about and it gives me something to look forward to if I decide to play the game again.

- The gameplay during the dark hour is a lot of fun too. I like the combat system, it's fast and it forces you to switch your personas around as each enemy has their particular set of weakness/resistance.

- The personas themselves. It's addicting to fuse new ones as soon as you level up, some of the designs are very good (except the mitamas!) and I like how you get a glimpse of the ones you'll be able to fuse in the far future. I'm level 35 right now and I can't believe that I'm finally getting Nandi in 4 levels! That Star arcana bull has been teasing me since level 10 or something.

- The story and setting feel fresh to me. It's great to play an RPG set in the present. I haven't fallen in love with any of the characters yet as it feels like I barely know them which is a bit weird 50 hours in but I want to know more about all of them. (Character spoiler)
I just got Ken as a party member and I'm not sure about that, I generally don't like kids as characters.

- The music. First time I've listened to a game soundtrack as background music when I'm browsing the internet. I've already spoiled myself on Persona 4's too.

-I finished Catherine when it came out and I'm enjoying noticing the similarities between the games like how the main character has his hands in his pockets or how you always encounter the same npcs but their dialogues change over time following the story.

What I'm not liking :

- First complaint may seem like nitpick but it bothers me that (character spoiler)
Ken is higher leveled than the other members of SEES. I get that gameplay wise it makes sense for the newest party member to be stronger but story wise it just doesn't.

- I don't like how "perfect" the main character is. It's weird how everyone worships him and how fast he became the leader of the group.

- The enemies I find boring and repetitive in terms of design. Almost every rpgs use reskinned enemies which is understandable considering the length of these games but at least they have new environments to keep the encounters fresh. Fighting the same enemies over and over again in Tartarus got old very fast. Likewise for Elizabeth's requests that require x amount of an item dropped by enemies, especially the ones concerning regular enemies. They don't glow so the only way I could make these quests less tedious was remembering if they appeared in small or large groups and focusing on attacking shadows of the corresponding size. And of course when you encounter them for the first time in five floors they drop a me-patra gem.

- Maybe this is just me being bad but I'm finding it hard to keep my armor/accessories up to date. It costs so much to summon personas from the compendium that my obsession with fusing all available personas has left me unable to buy new equipment. (S-Link spoiler)
And then that prick Tanaka steals 40,000yen from me.

I have a few questions, would love some advice :

-Is there any point to the exams at school?
-Is studying at home enough to max out academics or is it worth it to go to the library?
- (character spoiler)
Yukari and Junpei have fallen pretty far behind following the arrival of Ken and Koromaru. Should I try and level them up?

Meia

I'm about 50 hours into Persona 3 FES and after failing to get into any jrpgs this gen I'm glad I gave this game a shot. I haven't read too much of this thread by fear of spoiling myself so I'm sure that some of the stuff I'm going to say has been talked about many times before.

What I'm liking so far :

- I love the options they give you during the day and that each action causes time to pass, forcing me to plan the day ahead. I probably won't be able to max out all s-links but that's a positive for me because I like that I had to choose which character I wanted to find out more about and it gives me something to look forward to if I decide to play the game again.

- The gameplay during the dark hour is a lot of fun too. I like the combat system, it's fast and it forces you to switch your personas around as each enemy has their particular set of weakness/resistance.

- The personas themselves. It's addicting to fuse new ones as soon as you level up, some of the designs are very good (except the mitamas!) and I like how you get a glimpse of the ones you'll be able to fuse in the far future. I'm level 35 right now and I can't believe that I'm finally getting Nandi in 4 levels! That Star arcana bull has been teasing me since level 10 or something.

- The story and setting feel fresh to me. It's great to play an RPG set in the present. I haven't fallen in love with any of the characters yet as it feels like I barely know them which is a bit weird 50 hours in but I want to know more about all of them. (Character spoiler)
I just got Ken as a party member and I'm not sure about that, I generally don't like kids as characters.

- The music. First time I've listened to a game soundtrack as background music when I'm browsing the internet. I've already spoiled myself on Persona 4's too.

-I finished Catherine when it came out and I'm enjoying noticing the similarities between the games like how the main character has his hands in his pockets or how you always encounter the same npcs but their dialogues change over time following the story.

What I'm not liking :

- First complaint may seem like nitpick but it bothers me that (character spoiler)
Ken is higher leveled than the other members of SEES. I get that gameplay wise it makes sense for the newest party member to be stronger but story wise it just doesn't.

- I don't like how "perfect" the main character is. It's weird how everyone worships him and how fast he became the leader of the group.

- The enemies I find boring and repetitive in terms of design. Almost every rpgs use reskinned enemies which is understandable considering the length of these games but at least they have new environments to keep the encounters fresh. Fighting the same enemies over and over again in Tartarus got old very fast. Likewise for Elizabeth's requests that require x amount of an item dropped by enemies, especially the ones concerning regular enemies. They don't glow so the only way I could make these quests less tedious was remembering if they appeared in small or large groups and focusing on attacking shadows of the corresponding size. And of course when you encounter them for the first time in five floors they drop a me-patra gem.

- Maybe this is just me being bad but I'm finding it hard to keep my armor/accessories up to date. It costs so much to summon personas from the compendium that my obsession with fusing all available personas has left me unable to buy new equipment. (S-Link spoiler)
And then that prick Tanaka steals 40,000yen from me.

I have a few questions, would love some advice :

-Is there any point to the exams at school?
-Is studying at home enough to max out academics or is it worth it to go to the library?
- (character spoiler)
Yukari and Junpei have fallen pretty far behind following the arrival of Ken and Koromaru. Should I try and level them up?

Exams basically are one of the Social Link triggers(as in you can't start one of the links unless you score first on an exam, and the later ones you need max Academics to have a shot at. You just need to max any one exam though). In addition, the better you do, it's almost like a social link with every person at school at once, bringing you closer to everyone.

Studying at home is enough, though it will take awhile(by design it's the one that always take the most "points" to level).

Yukari is, I feel, the best healing character in the game. Having a high magic stat also makes her a pretty powerful attacker when you don't need healing in a round too. Ultimately, I don't think you can fail by having anyone specific in your party if that's what you're asking.

In terms of money, you MAY be summoning things too much. You can just run around in Tartarus and pac-man up any chests you see though, and this can be done as tired/sick if you're good at not even interacting with any shadows, which isn't *too* hard to do. Easy to get money this way. :)

Well, I'm on towards the true ending in P4G, but my time is only like 56 or 57 hours.

Anyone else take as comparatively little time in P4G compared to P4 Vanilla?

CorvoSol

Are you really out of consumables? I can't imagine you've used all your revival beads at this point.

I am, I had to redo the Void Quest dungeon completely because I missed the Orb of Darkness on my way up and I got blindsided by those demons who cast Megidola.

So I'm gonna go back and level up, but I have another question. I'm on August 3rd. How long do I have till I MUST finish this dungeon? In case I need to go back to the real world, since I can't buy anything inside the TV.

Hahaha. This is what I get for ranting at 3 AM.

Venfayth

Levels you should be at for bosses goes like this:

First boss, level 15. Next boss, level 25. Continue +10 for each subsequent boss.

Less can be fine, but just as a general rule if you follow it you shouldn't have much trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom