• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Is Persona Q canon in the same way that Persona Arena is?

Also what is Dancing All Night? The trailer makes it look like some kind of rhythm game?

Caladrius

You Naoki-neglecters disappoint me.

Also what is Dancing All Night? The trailer makes it look like some kind of rhythm game?

Persona Q is canon in the sense that it happened but has no actual bearing on anything that we know of. It seems to delete itself from the canon much like Sonic '06.

P4D is a Rhythm game. If you've played Project Diva you've most likely played P4D. (Made by the same people and seems to play similarly)

Moonlight

Banned

Q is in a weird space, where it's... technically canon (I think) , but then everyone will forget about whatever happened in the game when it ends, because of time travel... stuff. I wouldn't expect anything exceptional story-wise from it.

Dancing All Night is the real sequel to P4 that we've all been waiting for. It's about Rise being an idol and making her comeback against the Kanimation of Japan (and recruiting the Investigation Team to help her), and also something about a Midnight Stage which involves the internet that Kanami gets absorbed into and... stuff.

So yes, it's a rhythm game.

RaikuHebi

Banned
ffs I'm so close to the end. I'm sure this is the final boss now.
The thing with the big eye
. I think I would've beat it if I had some SP restoring items. I don't think I need to grind, it'll be manageable from my current levels (late 60s).

Squire

Banned
Predictions for first notable P5 news (art, screens, or trailer)?

I'll say late February to mid March.

Sure. I don't expect them wait until the summer.

Congrats on finishing P4, CorvoSol!

Nice to see everyone seems more positive around here lately. :D

Totally.

You sadden me with that FFX hate though, Lunar. :(

PQ basically has to be a fun "What if...?" story whether it's canon or not.

P4D is apparently quite canon.

CorvoSol

I don't think PQ is canon like P4A. Dancing All Night IS a Rhythm game lol.

I'm terrible at Rhythm games, but secretly enticed by this product.

Persona Q is canon in the sense that it happened but has no actual bearing on anything that we know of. It seems to delete itself from the canon much like Sonic '06.

P4D is a Rhythm game. If you've played Project Diva you've most likely played P4D. (Made by the same people and seems to play similarly)

Suddenly so much money spent on Atlus games, haha.

Q is in a weird space, where it's... technically canon (I think) , but then everyone will forget about whatever happened in the game when it ends, because of time travel... stuff. I wouldn't expect anything exceptional story-wise from it.

Dancing All Night is the real sequel to P4 that we've all been waiting for. It's about Rise being an idol and making her comeback against the Kanimation of Japan (and recruiting the Investigation Team to help her), and also something about a Midnight Stage which involves the internet that Kanami gets absorbed into and... stuff.

So yes, it's a rhythm game.

Defeating Kanamin sounds like as worthy a cause as any. I also saw the trailer for the Arena sequel.
Rise in a bikini with gangster Teddie? The hell is going on?

ffs I'm so close to the end. I'm sure this is the final boss now.
The thing with the big eye
. I think I would've beat it if I had some SP restoring items. I don't think I need to grind, it'll be manageable from my current levels (late 60s).

I said that like 4 times this week.

PQ basically has to be a fun "What if...?" story whether it's canon or not.

P4D is apparently quite canon.

A canon rhythm game, huh? Oh my oh my. So do all of these games begin to paint some overarching background plot, or is more of the fun "hey now that there will be a new gang for P5, check out what the old gangs are up to" variety?

Dantis

A canon rhythm game, huh? Oh my oh my. So do all of these games begin to paint some overarching background plot, or is more of the fun "hey now that there will be a new gang for P5, check out what the old gangs are up to" variety?

Absolutely the bolded. The quality of the spinoffs (If Arena is anything to go by) is nowhere near the quality of the original game. They're very much just for fun.

The story to the dancing game sounds so ridiculously hilarious that I can't actually believe that it's real.

AND I MUST PLAY IT.

CorvoSol

Absolutely the bolded. The quality of the spinoffs (If Arena is anything to go by) is nowhere near the quality of the original game. They're very much just for fun.

The story to the dancing game sounds so ridiculously hilarious that I can't actually believe that it's real.

AND I MUST PLAY IT.

Okay, I just had to make sure it wasn't like Kingdom Hearts where if you miss this one bonus scene at the end of the Japanese version of the international version of this side game you will be completely lost during major plot events in later games.

Gazoinks

Okay, I just had to make sure it wasn't like Kingdom Hearts where if you miss this one bonus scene at the end of the Japanese version of the international version of this side game you will be completely lost during major plot events in later games.

Nah, you're probably good. I'd also be really surprised (and disappointed) if P5 relies on any real P4 plot knowledge. The previous numbered games haven't, and hopefully it'll stay that way.

I don't have a Vita, but I'm looking forward to the details of P4D's plot. It sounds amazing.

Caladrius

It's kind of funny considering that exact thing almost happened (BBS is a main title, but all anyone ever seems able to say is "spin-off" so eh) but the game the secret ending teased got canceled.

PK Gaming

My favorite non party-member social link!?

Fight me.

I wish I had known this beforehand, I never actually got a chance to see the guys' Valentines day event.
Darn

It's a really funny event, especially if you already have a girlfriend.

I didn't take any pictures for some reason :(

Levito

Banned
Are any of you familiar with specific Atlus translators? As in, do you know of any Atlus translators that are open to speaking with fans? Had an idea to speak with someone with Atlus about how they approach translating in the industry.

Speaking with two future guests right now, and things are looking good for both. Not saying who they are yet, as they can fall though.

Are any of you familiar with specific Atlus translators? As in, do you know of any Atlus translators that are open to speaking with fans? Had an idea to speak with someone with Atlus about how they approach translating in the industry.

Speaking with two future guests right now, and things are looking good for both. Not saying who they are yet, as they can fall though.

You might start with John Hardin-- he seems pretty receptive to talking with fans on social media. He might either know stuff himself or be able to point you in the right direction. Just a thought...

CorvoSol

Nah, you're probably good. I'd also be really surprised (and disappointed) if P5 relies on any real P4 plot knowledge. The previous numbered games haven't, and hopefully it'll stay that way.

I don't have a Vita, but I'm looking forward to the details of P4D's plot. It sounds amazing.

I'm going to get P4D and tell no one I personally know that I own it. It looks stupid fun, but not the kind I'd widely publicize, hahaha. Hopefully it skews toward Theatrhythm styles of rhythm games and not harder. I suck at rhythm games so much it might shock my family to hear I bought one, haha.

It's kind of funny considering that exact thing almost happened (BBS is a main title, but all anyone ever seems able to say is "spin-off" so eh) but the game the secret ending teased got canceled.

Technically I was alluding to how in KH 2 Final Mix + there's this plot point that's a major plot point in Birth By Sleep's endgame. Except that, you know, until KH HD 2.5 comes along, most people won't have played KH2FM+.

Congrats Corvo! That's a hell of a game. Now finish P3P!

I need to finish the BD demo today.

Me and you both brother!

Every single time I was like "AWRIGHT DUDES LET'S BEAT THIS GAME." and then there'd be more, haha.

Levito

Banned
You might start with John Hardin-- he seems pretty receptive to talking with fans on social media. He might either know stuff himself or be able to point you in the right direction. Just a thought...

Been meaning to contact him for a while, might just have to go ahead with it soon.

Caladrius

I'm going to get P4D and tell no one I personally know that I own it. It looks stupid fun, but not the kind I'd widely publicize, hahaha. Hopefully it skews toward Theatrhythm styles of rhythm games and not harder. I suck at rhythm games so much it might shock my family to hear I bought one, haha.

Diva can get really hard but very few of the unlockables actually require you to finish a song on the highest difficulty. (There's usually one outfit per character that has to be unlocked by finishing a song that way though)

Technically I was alluding to how in KH 2 Final Mix + there's this plot point that's a major plot point in Birth By Sleep's endgame. Except that, you know, until KH HD 2.5 comes along, most people won't have played KH2FM+.

I thought it was worse in Days because they're going on and on about the Chamber of Waking and they give you no clue as to what the hell it has to do with anything since they don't ever show or mention the other chamber it's supposed to be connected to.

I wonder how many people will think that scene was added in after the fact.

I can't believe someone could consider it just a spinoff, it's essential story wise for the saga, while having a really good fighting system and really nice and well-told story per se.

CorvoSol

Diva can get really hard but very few of the unlockables actually require you to finish a song on the highest difficulty. (There's usually one outfit per character that has to be unlocked by finishing a song that way though)

I thought it was worse in Days because they're going on and on about the Chamber of Waking and they give you no clue as to what the hell it has to do with anything since they don't ever show or mention the other chamber it's supposed to be connected to.

I wonder how many people will think that scene was added in after the fact.

Ah, yeah, that nonsense in Days is what I'm referring to. I could've sworn that it was Sleep, not Days, where that plot point mattered, but you take my meaning.

When does Dancing come out, again?

FluxWaveZ

I'll side with #TeamApril, and cast my runner up for #TeamE3

Ha, this is one time Persona 5 actually does have a chance of appearing at E3 instead of the nonsense last year, but I doubt it.

I wonder... how many people would be willing to have Persona Q and Persona 4 Dancing pushed to 2015 in exchange for a worldwide release of Persona 5?

Okay, got past the false ending in Persona 4, started the next dungeon.

Was actually kind of pissed to learn it was Adachi, if only because I had suspected him earlier due to being an important character with no Social Link, which I guess is no longer a problem in Golden? Still kind of miffed that my suspicion based on the game's systems (and not the storyline itself) was correct.

---

"Who do you know that fits this description?"

"...Yosuke?"

"I'm Yosuke."

"How many guesses do I get?"

---

EDIT: One thing that strikes me for this part of the game is how bleak it is. From when
Nanako is kidnapped
until the point I'm at it's just been getting bleaker and bleaker, the kind that makes you want to get through it so your thoughts can turn to something brighter.

CorvoSol

EDIT: One thing that strikes me for this part of the game is how bleak it is. From when
Nanako is kidnapped
until the point I'm at it's just been getting bleaker and bleaker, the kind that makes you want to get through it so your thoughts can turn to something brighter.

Oh man that entire part of the game is like this dark cloud hanging over you. I love it because prior to that things had been more or less cheerful and carefree and then suddenly stuff gets real, real fast.

EMT0

Banned
Ha, this is one time Persona 5 actually does have a chance of appearing at E3 instead of the nonsense last year, but I doubt it.

I wonder... how many people would be willing to have Persona Q and Persona 4 Dancing pushed to 2015 in exchange for a worldwide release of Persona 5?

Sign me the hell up. Where's the option for this to actually be a thing?

Predictions for first notable P5 news (art, screens, or trailer)?

I'll say late February to mid March.

I agree there's no way they'll wait all the way till April to show the first bit of news. I think the first thing they'll release is the MC and maybe a few teammate's art in the next month or so.

oh hell yeah if this were an option I would die to see it happen

Sophia

Absolutely not. Persona Q first. Dancing can be pushed back however.

FluxWaveZ

Yes. We don't actually know anything about Persona 5, so it's hard to be hyped for it at all.

Weird, I'm hyped for it just because of the name. Every time I am able to type or read that "Persona 5 is releasing this year", I get happy. Reading new LTTP impressions of P4G and watching some episodes of the Endurance Run again—remembering just how much I've loved (almost) each main iteration of this series—I'm incredibly hyped for the game.

I'd probably exchange PQ and P4D for a worldwide release of Persona 5 if only for it to be an actual phenomenon and for the anticipation to not feel stilted because of a delayed North American (and European) launch.

CorvoSol

Not for us, it most likely isn't.

Just like the teaser trailer says, winter 2014 for Japan.

Still. I'm still used to Square "HERE IS A CGI TEASER FOR A GAME WE WILL BE RELEASING NEXT DECADE THAT WON'T EVEN BE IN THE GAME" Enix.

Also known as Square "THERE HAVE BEEN TWO DIFFERENT POPES IN THE TIME IT HAS TAKEN US TO MAKE FFXV" Enix.

FluxWaveZ

Still. I'm still used to Square "HERE IS A CGI TEASER FOR A GAME WE WILL BE RELEASING NEXT DECADE THAT WON'T EVEN BE IN THE GAME" Enix.

Also known as Square "THERE HAVE BEEN TWO DIFFERENT POPES IN THE TIME IT HAS TAKEN US TO MAKE FFXV" Enix.

Oh, well then I guess you've learned that Atlus isn't SE. Persona 3 was revealed in March 2006 and released in July of the same year. Persona 4 was revealed in March 2008 and, also, released in July of the same year. They have rather short turnarounds between announcements and releases.

Sophia

Weird, I'm hyped for it just because of the name. Every time I am able to type or read that "Persona 5 is releasing this year", I get happy. Reading new LTTP impressions of P4G and watching some episodes of the Endurance Run again—remembering just how much I've loved (almost) each main iteration of this series—I'm incredibly hyped for the game.

I'd probably exchange PQ and P4D for a worldwide release of Persona 5 if only for it to be an actual phenomenon and for the anticipation to not feel stilted because of a delayed North American (and European) launch.

I can't really be hyped for something I know nothing about. Maybe once I get more information on the actual gameplay I might care, but right now it is almost the same situation as it was before the announcement. We know nothing except that it's coming. On the other hand there's actual media on PQ and we've seen a decent bit of it.

It's a moot point anyhow, as localizations don't work in trade offs so it's not like we can "exchange" PQ or P4D for P5.

Not sure I could actually disagree with you more than I do right now!

Your disagreement is irrelevant. Let me know when we have actual details about Persona 5. I've been speculating on it for the past two years and it's tiresome now.

CorvoSol

Oh, well then I guess you've learned that Atlus isn't SE. Persona 3 was revealed in March 2006 and released in July of the same year. Persona 4 was revealed in March 2008 and, also, released in July of the same year. They have rather short turnarounds between announcements and releases.

I mean, I can wait a year for a new game. It's Square's "Please be excited by us telling you absolutely nothing for the next 5 years" that drives me insane. That closed megatheater shit, FFXIII being less than half of what it should be, then the "HAHAHA WE AREN'T LOCALIZING THE ONE GOOD FF WE'VE MADE IN 5 YEARS, BITCHES" and the "BUT YOU CAN HAVE MORE SEQUELS TO THAT GAME WE HALF ASSED. IN THIS ONE WE RAPE WHAT LITTLE RESPECT YOU HAD FOR THAT ONE!" and so on.

Atlus, meanwhile, sounds like they've done fairly well. I mean SMT4 came out, there's Arena to sate the hunger in the dark times, and it isn't like they've slacked on putting out good, other games in the meantime.

I mean, how many non FF non KH rpgs has Square even put out lately? None?
Excluding Bravely Default the first I can even think of is The World Ends With You.

FluxWaveZ

It's a moot point anyhow, as localizations don't work in trade offs so it's not like we can "exchange" PQ or P4D for P5.

They don't, but if time devoted to localizing PQ and P4D were transferred over to P5 as a top priority for global launch, the two former games would most definitely be pushed back in terms of release date, which is where the theoretical derives from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom