• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_mztny6j8sX1r71uiho1_1280.png

Thanks to everyone who answered; the only problem is that everyone suggested a different game D:

I think I'm pretty much set on either FF6 or FF9

I'm not a fan of Job-Systems by the way, I prefer something like Persona where each character has is own role in the team. And I doubt I would be able to create a well-balanced group if I had to choose what each character has to do.
Gameplay should be fine as long as it is turn-based.

About Persona 1/2, I should definitely play them, but I guess I'll wait till the next sale, or at least when I'll finish some of the games I have yet to finish (or even start actually)

On a side note, I'm so tempted to buy Dissidia; I have like a 100 hours in the PSP Version, it's so much fun!

Sophia

Thanks to everyone who answered; the only problem is that everyone suggested a different game D:

I'm not a fan of Job-Systems by the way, I prefer something like Persona where each character has is own role in the team. And I doubt I would be able to create a well-balanced group if I had to choose what each character has to do.

About Persona 1/2, I should definitely play them, but I guess I'll wait till the next sale, or at least when I'll finish some of the games I have yet to finish (or even start actually)

On a side note, I'm so tempted to buy Dissidia; I have like a 100 hours in the PSP Version, it's so much fun!

Buy Dissidia 012 if you buy it again. Has everything from the original game. And both FF6 and FF9 are relatively free form in customization so you'll be good there. FF6 is a particularly good starting point.

Caladrius

I think I've just gone sterile.

Buy Dissidia 012 if you buy it again. Has everything from the original game. And both FF6 and FF9 are relatively free form in customization so you'll be good there. FF6 is a particularly good starting point.

I'll second Dissidia. While all the references will probably be lost on you (I played it despite never having played FF), it's a great fighting game if you give it a bit of time. I still wish it had been a Kingdom Hearts game instead of 358/2 Days.

Tiu Neo

Both are pretty good, but VI is my favorite. I like how the game doesn't have a main character, but focuses on different characters each arc. Wish more games had followed this.

I'll second Dissidia. While all the references will probably be lost on you (I played it despite never having played FF), it's a great fighting game if you give it a bit of time. I still wish it had been a Kingdom Hearts game instead of 358/2 Days.
Never played any FF too and loved it like I said. And I encountered a lot of interesting characters too!

I'm pretty sure I'll buy FF6 then, also considering the fact that Terra seemed more interesting tha Gidan.

About 358/2, I actually played through a lot of it ( I think till day 270ish) and, while I enjoyed the story/characters, I really hated the gameplay; I'm glad I'll be able to see the cutscenes in 1.5

Sophia

Never played any FF too and loved it like I said. And I encountered a lot of interesting characters too!

I'm pretty sure I'll buy FF6 then, also considering the fact that Terra seemed more interesting tha Gidan.

About 358/2, I actually played through a lot of it ( I think till day 270ish) and, while I enjoyed the story/characters, I really hated the gameplay; I'm glad I'll be able to see the cutscenes in 1.5

You're Italian aren't you? Seeing as Zidane was only called Gidan in that version. :p

Sophia

I imagine that costs a small fortune by now.

It actually doesn't. $20-30 for a used copy. But the GBA version has a number of minor issues with its color palette thanks to Square-Enix altering it for the GBA. And they provided no option to switch it back to normal.

On that note, I wish we had gotten the PS1 or GBA versions of SMT 1/2/If. Handheld SMT goodness would be nice.

Lunar15

As long as no one plays FFX, I'm good. Personal vendetta.

Corvo: There is nothing more enjoyable than watching someone play P4 for the first time, and you are no exception. I feel those feels through your feels, ya feel?

Lunar15

Why? I'm probably going to buy it when the Remaster comes out.

@Sophia: How did you know that he was called Gidan in Italian? O:

Personal. Vendetta.

Aside from that: I just didn't like it very much. None of the characters were likeable, which is the main draw to an RPG for me.

I'm a robot. I know everything. You must be new around here....

Real answer: I spend an absurd amount of time reading wikis for games, and have the information memorized by heart.
Do you know why they changed it? I mean, it's actually a pretty common thing, but I don't see any difference between Zidane and Gidan

It's an alternative romanization of ジタン, his name in Japanese. Not knowing Italian, I can only presume "Gidan" was probably easier to say.
Well, it's actually the same thing, we don't use "j" in our alphabet though, only in foreign words.
I have to say though that the end in "n" is the right one.

PK Gaming

It's an alternative romanization of ジタン, his name in Japanese. Not knowing Italian, I can only presume "Gidan" was probably easier to say.

Are you making fun of the fact that I wear glasses? :<
Haha, no (how would I even know that >.>)

EMT0

Banned
So I just realized that Yosuke being called Hana-chan is probably the way that Saki got her shots at Yosuke, and by extension Junes. Japanese culture experts correct me if I'm wrong.

Hana = Flower
Hana-chan = Flower-chan

Yosuke = Flower-chan?

Sophia

Depends on the wording used. "Hana" can also refer to your nose.

EDIT: I looked it up. The kanji used in "Hanamura" is indeed "&#33457;" or flower translated.

Did she call him Hana-Chan in the original Japanese?

Probably, shorting names to pet names is somewhat common among friends.

CorvoSol

Congrats on finishing P4G, Corvo! :D

It's been great reading through your experience with the game, even if I don't agree with your near-constant Marie hate. :p What are you planning to play next? I know you mentioned P3P at some point, which would be excellent! Then don't forget about Persona 4 Arena; you'll want to be caught up by the time Ultra Suplex Hold comes out.

Happy to see you enjoy Golden so much, though. Congrats again!

Don't mind my dissing Marie, haha, once per game I tend to find a character to kick around. Compared to some of the ones from Final Fantasy she's relatively low on the list. Add in anime and general and she's downright pleasant.

Congratulations on finishing the game. It was quite interesting (and amusing) to watch you play through it.

Thanks!

Congrats

The good news is that you just beat one of the best games ever created. The bad news is that you now have to live in a post-P4G world. You said you were tackling P3P next right? That's a good start, that will mitigate the pain. From there, you can try the older Persona games or you could watch the Persona 4 anime. The anime isn't perfect, but it's a good watch for someone who really enjoyed the game. Persona 4 arena is worth checking (though I recommend beating P3 to get the maximum enjoyment out of that game)

I had a lot of fun reading through your experiences with the game, and I hope you stick around. We can go crazy waiting for Persona 5 together haha.

Re: Izanagi
So how about that final blow eh? I'm guessing the ending was a lot more visceral for you. Seeing the Persona that you've been lugging around throughout the game literally turn into a man must have been quite the treat for you. It's a good thing you kept it!

Dude, Izanagi was the man. Aside from using Black Frost I never even bothered to use other Personae. Probably because Izanagi is so easily broken. At the end of the game he was level 77 and had 99 in all stats except Luck, which was like, 95. I just wish I'd gotten a Charge card so I could boost his attack power that extra little bit when beating the crap out of bosses.

And yeah, I will probably move on to P3P now. Not sure if I'm gonna dive right on in, or if I'm gonna wait just a tiny bit and see if Final Fantasy Type-0 comes out in English next month. Plus there's Bravely Default next month. And I have a Tales game to start, 'cuz I need to see if I wind up coming to love the Tales series as much as I have the SMT/Persona series.

One question:
Do the SMT games take place in the same continuity as the Persona ones? Like, I know P3 and P4 take place in continuity, but was Tokyo just covered in a dome and nobody bothered talking about it, haha?

Corvo: There is nothing more enjoyable than watching someone play P4 for the first time, and you are no exception. I feel those feels through your feels, ya feel?

I'm all about enjoying people's first time through great things. Man this game has left me so so so satisfied.

Gazoinks

Baw, Corvo finished while I was sleeping. Congratulations! Glad you enjoyed it!

One question:
Do the SMT games take place in the same continuity as the Persona ones? Like, I know P3 and P4 take place in continuity, but was Tokyo just covered in a dome and nobody bothered talking about it, haha?

No. Well, most don't. Technically Persona takes place in the same continuity as Devil Summoner and SMT If... due to references in P2, but they're pretty much disconnected from the rest of the series. The numbered SMT games don't even take place in the same continuity as far as I'm aware. I know Nocturne doesn't.

Dantis

So I've been playing P4G again, and you know what I realised? I've finished Persona 4 four times, and I've never even started Naoki's S Link.

Also, a small thing that I was thinking about that I appreciate (Dojima S Link spoilers):
I really like that he doesn't catch his wife's killer. It's his white whale. It's much more poignant because he manages to push it aside and continue his life, rather than reach a convenient conclusion with it.

Skipping Marie's S Link. I watched/read the first two and was like "Oh, this is just as bad as I remembered". I dislike it so much. Do you have to date her? I don't remember if there's even a choice.

I also think that the bike scene is one of the best new P4G scenes.

So I just realized that Yosuke being called Hana-chan is probably the way that Saki got her shots at Yosuke, and by extension Junes. Japanese culture experts correct me if I'm wrong.

Hana = Flower
Hana-chan = Flower-chan

Yosuke = Flower-chan?

This is actually really interesting.

Setsu00

Hana = Flower
Hana-chan = Flower-chan

Yosuke = Flower-chan?

Well, I'm not to sure about that, but I remember reading an article about the name "Hanako" (= Flower child) about a year ago that was written by a Japanese woman. In the article, she wrote that the name is considered plain or boring since it's associated with the countryside (because of the flower part) which in turn is why fewer girls are named Hanako nowadays. Girls with that name are considered to have the negative attributes that are connected to the countryside.

If this is intentional on the developer's side, you can jump to interesting conlusions about the impression Yosuke left on Saki like you said. And considering that there is a character named Hanako in P4 that is portrayed rather negatively, I don't think it's too far-fetched to say that it was indeed intentional.

hyYDWGM.gif

I have finished the game. What follows is basically spoilers for the whole thing, so, click at your own risk.
Congrats! Truly a remarkable game. Glad you enjoyed it so much. Appropriate reaction gif.

On a completely unrelated note, I have just seen the Final Fantasy Series' sale on the PSN; as I haven't played any yet, I'm very interested in trying one. What do you guys suggest? I'm especially interested in the story/characters, gameplay-wise I just want a turn-based RPG and I'm set.

I'm not a fan of Job-Systems by the way, I prefer something like Persona where each character has is own role in the team. And I doubt I would be able to create a well-balanced group if I had to choose what each character has to do. Gameplay should be fine as long as it is turn-based.

FFVI and FFIX definitely have wonderful casts and stories if that's what your interests are, you're set. Everyone has a distinct role also, that should also be right up your ally. Don't let the Job system of FFV deter you though. It's not as daunting as it seems. Making a well balanced team in FFV is easy, as long as you don't make them all White Mages or something. The customization of the party is one of the best things about the Job System.

Anyways, between FFVI and FFIX you should be good, feel free to drop a post in the Final Fantasy Community thread if you want more info/suggestions/help with Final Fantasy. They are always happy to help suggest games.

Moonlight

Banned
FFVI was one of the four games I owned as a kid and I always like to think of it as the best one. If I ever had to recommend an FF, go with VI. Especially if you're less interested in the job system, as FFVI really emphasizes a distinct role or mechanic to each character in the game - everyone has a unique ability, for instance, that no other character in the game can do.

W5X1xpi.gif

Congrats on finishing the game! Your thoughts were a real treat to read, and it's nice to see how much it resonated with you. Now maybe you can get why we're all so crazy in here. :p

Dantis

You've never started Naoki's S.Link, Dantis? That's one of my favorites! It's really well done.

I literally forget he's in the game every time I play through, after the first time that you see him.

Does anyone know the answer to whether you have to romance Marie?

CorvoSol

Bleh, I got FF6 spoiler from P4 impression in Persona thread.. not cool man >_>

I'm sorry. It was me, wasn't it? I'm sorry. I didn't even think about that.

I literally forget he's in the game every time I play through, after the first time that you see him.

Does anyone know the answer to whether you have to romance Marie?

I romanced Rise. You have to rank 10 Marie, but she doesn't have to be your girlfriend.

CorvoSol

You're not hating Yosuke, so I wouldn't demand anything :D
BTW ow you officially joining us waiting for Emancipation!

Is Emancipation the subtitle to P5?

Also why would I hate Yosuke? He might be a loser, but his ideas for what the group should do are the best ideas period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom