• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

Are P1 and P2 in the same continuity as P3 and P4?
Yep!

Igor and the velvet room made their appearance in P1, and other concepts like Shadow Selves, high school kids saving the world and
supernatural deities that fuck with humanity for "reasons"
originated in the earlier Persona games.

Naoto of course.

So in Golden you go from
when Adachi is defeated
to having basically all of January to SLink. Then February rolls along and
You have until the Ski Trip to SLink. Once the Ski Trip happens, you're in Marie's dungeon until you beat it. Then I think you get until Valentine's day, afterwhich the game skips to the last day and the final dungeon.
Ah, okay. March is still a no go then. Maybe I'll get Golden some day.

Meia

Naoto of course.

Each IT member also has a "rank 11" social link meeting that only activates in January, giving their personas another form and a new ability as well.

And if you spent it with Naoto I hope you did the right thing and had a nice surprise from her on Christmas Eve.
Female Yaso High uniform Naoto is a good Naoto.
:D

Each IT member also has a "rank 11" social link meeting that only activates in January, giving their personas another form and a new ability as well.

And if you spent it with Naoto I hope you did the right thing and had a nice surprise from her on Christmas Eve.
Female Yaso High uniform Naoto is a good Naoto.
:D
Oh jeez, there's even more in Golden than I realized. I think ignorance is bliss here, I feel kind of left out. Ah well.

And yes. Was that not guaranteed? Lucky me then. I stumble into two false endings but
Naoto in a girl's uniform
? Nope, apparently I'm on the money.

PK Gaming

I loved P3:FES and P4.

Too bad I don't have any fun playing P1 and the P2 duology, which is a bummer. Especially when everyone who has played it tells me the story and characters are amazing. Should I just Youtube the story?
If you have 0 intention to play them, then yes.

I think P1 might be worth playing though, since it has decent gameplay.

CorvoSol said:
Got it. I'll get to them eventually. How different are P1 and P2 from the latter games?

Super different. They're both random encounter dungeon crawlers with a completely different battle system. Notably, P1/P2 don't have social links.

CorvoSol

They are, but P2 does some funky stuff with the time line. Someone who actually knows what they're talking about will elaborate, I'm sure.

All Persona games take place in the same universe. Well, with one exception, but...

Yep!

Igor and the velvet room made their appearance in P1, and other concepts like Shadow Selves, high school kids saving the world and
supernatural deities that fuck with humanity for "reasons"
originated in the earlier Persona games.

Got it. I'll get to them eventually. How different are P1 and P2 from the latter games?

Naoto of course.

Yeah March is just an emotional montage of good ol' times.

Gazoinks

Very different. They play much more like traditional old-school JRPGs. Dungeon crawling. Random encounters. No Social Links (although there is a crapload of optional dialog). They're dated, but if you don't mind the somewhat archaic gameplay they're worth playing, because the casts and stories are great.

Meia

Oh jeez, there's even more in Golden than I realized. I think ignorance is bliss here, I feel kind of left out. Ah well.

And yes. Was that not guaranteed? Lucky me then. I stumble into two false endings but
Naoto in a girl's uniform
? Nope, apparently I'm on the money.

Yeah, it only happens I believe if you comment in one of her earlier ranks that you like her high voice or something along those lines. That + lovers flag on christmas = that. Oh, yeah, Golden also has outfits that the characters can wear(in a separate slot that doesn't effect the gear they use), and by doing that with Naoto that outfit is an unlock, so she can wear that when she goes in the TV World. :D

Skill cards, a lot more new events(even beyond the romancy new additions with the summer festival, valentine's, and new years), you have the ski trip, the beach trip, the band thing(meh), operation babe hunt 2: hunt harder....

Yeah, it only happens I believe if you comment in one of her earlier ranks that you like her high voice or something along those lines. That + lovers flag on christmas = that. Oh, yeah, Golden also has outfits that the characters can wear(in a separate slot that doesn't effect the gear they use), and by doing that with Naoto that outfit is an unlock, so she can wear that when she goes in the TV World. :D

Skill cards, a lot more new events(even beyond the romancy new additions with the summer festival, valentine's, and new years), you have the ski trip, the beach trip, the band thing(meh), operation babe hunt 2: hunt harder....
That makes sense, she mentioned that.

And you're killing me with that Golden stuff.

CorvoSol

Very different. They play much more like traditional old-school JRPGs. Dungeon crawling. Random encounters. No Social Links (although there is a crapload of optional dialog). They're dated, but if you don't mind the somewhat archaic gameplay they're worth playing, because the casts and stories are great.

Well I consider myself fairly tolerant of old school gameplay. As long as that gameplay is solid. I'm having a hard time with Xenogears right now because that game really isn't that tightly made.

Sophia

Well I consider myself fairly tolerant of old school gameplay. As long as that gameplay is solid. I'm having a hard time with Xenogears right now because that game really isn't that tightly made.

I'd say Persona 1 (PSP version) and Persona 2 hold up far better then Xenogears in this regard. Persona 2 in particular is fairly solid outside of the awful tarot card system and the reduced difficulty in the PSP version.

I love Xenogears, but man its gameplay does not hold up at all.

fuck now I'm hooked. I've been play all day and only just got to saving
yukiko

This is how it begins you know? First you're saving people, then you get hooked, then you start discussing stuff, then you enter this thread. Eventually you'll be spotting a Persona theme avatar, listening to all the soundtracks, buying figuring and artbooks, etc, etc.....

Then finally, when you least expect it. It consumes your soul.

ramyeon

Persona 2 is great, the combat system is very different to 3 and 4 but I really enjoy it. It definitely has some spots that haven't aged well and others that are frankly annoying (Tarot Card system and poor encounter for rate for certain demons :/) but overall it's still really enjoyable - especially the PSP remake which has been given a great coat of paint to freshen it up.

The story is the highlight of course and it's really out there. Good stuff.

Gazoinks

Persona 2 is great, the combat system is very different to 3 and 4 but I really enjoy it. It definitely has some spots that haven't aged well and others that are frankly annoying (Tarot Card system and poor encounter for rate for certain demons :/) but overall it's still really enjoyable - especially the PSP remake which has been given a great coat of paint to freshen it up.

The story is the highlight of course and it's really out there. Good stuff.

Yeah. I tolerate P2's combat. I don't love it, but I don't outright hate it. My main problem was that I played EP right after IS which meant I got EXTREMELY sick of the gameplay.

IS is tied with P4 for my favorite cast in the series, and EP has one of the better stories in the series imo.

Meia

yukiko

First dungeon is the most difficult, but I also find it the most engrossing because of it.

Still, plenty more fun to be had. :D

I can't hang out with Yukari or Junpei at all?

Well, if it's P3P and the female path, I don't think there's any pre-reqs at all for either.

For male, there's no social link at all with Junpei, and Yukari needs max charm and can only start like sometime in June or July.

Random question I've been pondering for a while--is it possible to max all Social Links in a single playthrough of Persona 4? I'm thinking yes, but looking back, a lot of time was spent trying to raise those damn attributes.

yukiko
It will never let you go.

Meia

Random question I've been pondering for a while--is it possible to max all Social Links in a single playthrough of Persona 4? I'm thinking yes, but looking back, a lot of time was spent trying to raise those damn attributes.]

Possible with 3 and 4, but because of all the attributes you need to raise as well as the dungeons to explore, you NEED to follow a guide to accomplish it. In Persona 3, following a guide will give you *maybe* 1 or 2 days of leeway when all is said and done, it's that tight a schedule. In Persona 4, you have 3 or 4 weeks, give or take, by following the guide. So it's less strict, but still not really possible to do without the use of a guide.

Of course, this is why we tell peeps on their first runs to not bother going for it, since all of your attributes carry over to a game +, which gives you a ton more time to accomplish this sans guide.

ramyeon

Random question I've been pondering for a while--is it possible to max all Social Links in a single playthrough of Persona 4? I'm thinking yes, but looking back, a lot of time was spent trying to raise those damn attributes.

It will never let you go.
Yes it is. But you will need to strictly plan your time, and probably follow a guide to the dot from day 1. There's a bit of leeway because there is so much free time in P4G though, so it's easier than past games.

My first time through Golden I maxed all but Adachi's. Because I neglected it stupidly, I could have gotten max on all most likely.

NG+ makes it very doable of course, much easier.

I figured as such. I was a lot more frivolous with my Social Links early on in the game, but as I got further and further, I realized--"I have a lot less time than I thought I did." I wouldn't trade my blind run for anything though. I'm interested in seeing the scenes for the ones I didn't max out, but I'm not sure I'll jump into a New Game+ run right away, this has already been quite a time investment on my part.

Maybe I'll hunt down Persona 3.

question

where's chie? its 4/28 and raining but i wanna hang out with her :(
Rain fucks up everything, nobody ever seems to want to hang out then. Though maybe you're playing Golden and that was changed in Golden, I dunno.

That said, I Social Linked with Naoto on a rainy day once, don't know what that was all about.

Acid08

Banned
question

where's chie? its 4/28 and raining but i wanna hang out with her :(
Chie smokes blunts on the school roof after class. She's not available to slink with when it's raining.

Also not everyone is available every day, certain links are available on certain days while others are available on different days. You'll get the hang of it.

I figured as such. I was a lot more frivolous with my Social Links early on in the game, but as I got further and further, I realized--"I have a lot less time than I thought I did." I wouldn't trade my blind run for anything though. I'm interested in seeing the scenes for the ones I didn't max out, but I'm not sure I'll jump into a New Game+ run right away, this has already been quite a time investment on my part.

Maybe I'll hunt down Persona 3.

Rain fucks up everything, nobody ever seems to want to hang out then. Though maybe you're playing Golden and that was changed in Golden, I dunno.

That said, I Social Linked with Naoto on a rainy day once, don't know what that was all about.
Chie smokes blunts on the school roof after class. She's not available to slink with when it's raining.

Also not everyone is available every day, certain links are available on certain days while others are available on different days. You'll get the hang of it.
thanks guess I gotta wait :(

Playing the ps2 version btw

If you have 0 intention to play them, then yes.

Super different. They're both random encounter dungeon crawlers with a completely different battle system. Notably, P1/P2 don't have social links.

Alright, YouTube it is.

The lack of S.links was another reason I didn't have a good time with P1 and P2:IS on the PSP. S.link were probably my favorite part of P3:FES and P4.

CorvoSol

I really hope that some day they release P3 again in a way that doesn't rip out all of the walking around outside of dungeons. It isn't a HUGE deal, but it is definitely something I miss, haha.

Alright, YouTube it is.

The lack of S.links was another reason I didn't have a good time with P1 and P2:IS on the PSP. S.link were probably my favorite part of P3:FES and P4.

I on the other hand, enjoy the lack of them, in fact when P3 came out, it was one of my many gripes. I grew to appreciate just how much Atlus was willing to rework and reform their series (Also see old school Devil Summoner compared to the modern Devil Summoner Raidou games.)

Hey PersonaGAF, this is probably super old and has been discussed to death, but anyone use the Persona Weather App? I'm currently loving it.

My settings:
Characters: No Boys Allowed!
Music: Random

I really hope that some day they release P3 again in a way that doesn't rip out all of the walking around outside of dungeons. It isn't a HUGE deal, but it is definitely something I miss, haha.

Agreed, my fantasy Persona 3: Full Moon Edition would be awesome.

I on the other hand, enjoy the lack of them, in fact when P3 came out, it was one of my many gripes. I grew to appreciate just how much Atlus was willing to rework and reform their series (Also see old school Devil Summoner compared to the modern Devil Summoner Raidou games.)

I can see it being annoying, I love S.links, but they can be a pain to juggle at times, and some of them were lame. Sometimes I just wanted to get back in a dungeon, fight, and grind, after dealing with Kenji.

Meia

I miss that and just the presentation of the actual game. It's why I prefer Fes right now, even if I think FemMC was the better route overall. Why I still have my fingers crossed for Persona 3 Velvet for the Vita(why I like the idea of Velvet for the name, perfect for the Vita, plus fits the blue color scheme of 3).

That app is actually developed by a GAFer, and a fellow member of the PersonaGAF subcommunity.

Yep, but I think he posted a bit ago that he got a cease and desist about it and had to take it down, which was a bummer, but understandable. I want more Persona apps on iOS, not less of them. :(

Yup. It's so hard to get motivated to play through P3 because of decision paralysis... I just can't pick between full 3D representation and battle control + FeMC.

ramyeon

Yup. It's so hard to get motivated to play through P3 because of decision paralysis... I just can't pick between full 3D representation and battle control + FeMC.
FeMC's story is designed to be played after the Male anyway. I'd go FES first and then P3P for a FeMC second play through.

Meia

I have it on my phone right now, downloaded it almost a month ago.

Right, if it's on your phone it won't suddenly disappear, but nobody new can get it ever again I think. Kind of like what happens to a digital game that gets taken down, like Deadpool on Steam. You can no longer buy it, but if you own it you still have access to it and can redownload it again.

Dantis

Yeah, totally. If you're not going to hire a team to let them do what they do best you may as not hire them at all, unless the whole point is to emulate someone else like what Activision does with CoD.

This is why I say PQ is more than likely going to be a Persona-flavored EO game, for the most part.

Yup. I really think so too.

So we all set for OT5?

Oh yes. We came up with a great title in the IRC yesterday.

Right, if it's on your phone it won't suddenly disappear, but nobody new can get it ever again I think. Kind of like what happens to a digital game that gets taken down, like Deadpool on Steam. You can no longer buy it, but if you own it you still have access to it and can redownload it again.
Glad I got it before it went down.
I'm pretty stoked for PQ, guys. This is going to be such a stellar year for RPGs for me.
PQ looks interesting, never tried an EO game before, so I'm excited to try this one out. Indeed a stellar year, cheers buddy.

Gazoinks

PQ looks interesting, never tried an EO game before, so I'm excited to try this one out. Indeed a stellar year, cheers buddy.

I'd recommend checking out the EO4 demo if you have a 3DS. I really like it, but it's a gameplay style that's not for everyone. That being said, I'm guessing PQ will be a bit more accessible than the mainline EO games. In particular, I'm expecting less murderous difficulty and probably a removal of the mapmaking.

I'm pretty stoked for PQ, guys. This is going to be such a stellar year for RPGs for me.

No kidding. Great year for J and W RPGs.

flowsnake

Igor has the same VA in P3P as P4G, right? He sounds quite different, he seems to have a different accent.

Ikutsuki sounds more like P4 Igor to me than Igor does. I know it's the same actor, but...it's weird.

Dantis

I'd recommend checking out the EO4 demo if you have a 3DS. I really like it, but it's a gameplay style that's not for everyone. That being said, I'm guessing PQ will be a bit more accessible than the mainline EO games. In particular, I'm expecting less murderous difficulty and probably a removal of the mapmaking.

I started it up, said "Gosh, this looks confusing" and turned it off.

kewlmyc

And then you stare into a mirror and see the truth. It is not the game that is confusing, it is yooooou. o_o

TV_Tropes_Flashlight_Image_5440.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom