• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meia

I'm playing FES

No, it's mostly random. Tired status can last 1-3 days, and if it's not up by day 3 it turns into Sick, which also lasts 1-3 days. Same rules apply to you, but you have ways to recover status faster(albeit it's RNG based).

Ideally, you need to stop in Tartarus before party members get to that point. In Fes, you're trained to not necessarily kill every shadow you see, just most of them and get to the guardians of the block without anyone being tired. For me, usually when I get near one I just avoid nearly every shadow. After all, if you can beat the guardians and get to the top of the block, then the boss won't be an issue so long as you have the proper personas equipped.

ramyeon

Back when I played FES I remember my usual pattern was to get to the boss level as quickly as possible with as little battles as I could manage, warp down and save and then level up only what was necessary to beat the boss and move on. That tended to work best for me.
kiriin said:
Im assuming p3p just dont take them to taurus for few day, if your talking about the mc you can canvgo to the nurse but usually the status revert rather quickly when you go to sleep early.
In P3P characters very rarely get tired though even after a couple of hours of fighting in Tartarus. And Yawn-B-Gones get rid of the status automatically so there really is no reason to wait for party members or yourself to recover if they do get tired.

Meia

P3P's system also makes it so a party member cannot get tired or sick while inside Tartarus that night. They'll complain like they used to to indicate they've been in too long, and the next day they'll be bad, but they won't actually leave the lobby when you return, meaning you can grind all you want.

tumblr_mzxyy34pQX1t7ya0co1_1280.png

im spooked

Dantis

Back when I played FES I remember my usual pattern was to get to the boss level as quickly as possible with as little battles as I could manage, warp down and save and then level up only what was necessary to beat the boss and move on. That tended to work best for me.

Ha, that's exactly what I did too!

RaikuHebi

Banned
Ok so following on from my previous post where I got the neutral ending (where I made the wrong choice to return home on the 2nd last day) and then saved over my savefile, I assumed there were only 2 endings lol.

I woke up this morning, loaded up a save I had (thankfully!) from just before entering Magatsu Inaba for the first time (I also have another one from before the branch where you can get the bad ending).

Put in a good few hours of progressing through the dungeon, levelling and fusing (and I didn't leave the TV at all, I kept using the fox because I wanted to use the extra days for levelling up social ranks (especially Marie for that extra dungeon!). Little did I know the game just passes through all that time anyway after completing the dungeon!!!! So all that money was wasted).

Anyway I beat the final boss of the dungeon again (first try I failed so I grinded and completed the optional boss in the dungeon before this one, and after all that I destroyed it on my 2nd go).

So now I'm on Christmas Day have to fast forward through all this story stuff I've already seen and make all these days pass which will be long. On the bright side I'll use this extra time to do some more levelling and max as many social ranks as possible.

Just to be clear. The extra dungeon given by Margeret is the one you can only get through a 2nd playthrough? And the Marie one is possible through the first playthrough, but I have to do it before she leaves? (which I might have already missed with the few days I have left).

Sophia

Just to be clear. The extra dungeon given by Margeret is the one you can only get through a 2nd playthrough? And the Marie one is possible through the first playthrough, but I have to do it before she leaves? (which I might have already missed with the few days I have left).

There is no extra dungeon given by Margaret. You may be thinking of the optional boss battle, which only can happen on a second playthrough.

As for Marie, the new dungeon (Hollow Forest) is unlocked by completing her social link before defeating the boss of Magatsu Inaba. If you completed her social link, the dungeon will unlock on February 13th.

RaikuHebi

Banned
There is no extra dungeon given by Margaret. You may be thinking of the optional boss battle, which only can happen on a second playthrough.

As for Marie, the new dungeon (Hollow Forest) is unlocked by completing her social link before defeating the boss of Magatsu Inaba. If you completed her social link, the dungeon will unlock on February 13th.

Crap. Well I still have that other savefile from before unlocking Magatsu Inaba so I'll just use that to unlock Marie's dungeon (FUCK SAKE!). In the meantime I'll just be concentrating on getting the true ending though.

Ahh yes I misremembered what I read last night about Margaret's extra thing.

man why can't i ever strike first in p4? :( i always strike when i think the time is right but i miss, recover too late and the enemy gets the advantage lol

i used to do it flawlessly in p3p

RaikuHebi

Banned
loool so I've managed to get back to the last day and will now do the True Ending. I pretty much skipped all of January and February, didn't bother grinding or doing any social links. Look at the savefile differences. The one I completed yesterday with the neutral ending: 74 hours. This one today with all the skipping: 66 hours.

That's the best strategy when approaching Tartarus exploration.

Meia

That's the best strategy when approaching Tartarus exploration.

Yep. In all honesty, I actually kind of miss the risk vs. reward thing the tired system used to encourage. It added another level of complexity to the dungeon crawling, and the whole system kind of got more boring when they got rid of it.

Dereck

Is this game anti-grind?

I get so little EXP from fighting shadows, is that why you guys skip them?

Increasing academics doesn't seem to do anything, should I be increasing courage instead or something?

Meia

Is this game anti-grind?

Increasing academics doesn't seem to do anything, should I be increasing courage instead or something?

EVERYTHING eventually does something. Many social links are tied to those stats, and different levels of them. On the extreme ends, you must be max charm to link with Yukari, courage to link with Fuuka, and Academics to link with Mitsuru. Academics are also used during the exams on the portion you don't give a multiple choice answer.

For the most part, you know you're done in a block of Tartarus when shadows start running from you once in awhile. If you can reach a barricade at the end of the block before a full moon, you're good to go for the boss. You really don't need to fight every shadow in Tartarus, and the Tired/Sick system punishes you for doing so by taking up more blocks of time in Tartarus. Nothing worse than having to leave for the day at the last guardian because you pushed things and got Yukari tired.

CorvoSol

Speaking of P3P is there a way to change my difficulty setting after startup? Because I chose it on Easy back when my only SMT experience was SMT4 (which is stupid hard) and because the startup screen said that "Normal" was for "Experienced players only." Now that I've beaten SMT4 and P4G I think Easy Mode for this game is way too easy and I'd like to boot back up to Normal, but not if I have to restart the game.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Damn that music that plays in the final dungeon of P4 is really haunting, but also quite nice at the same time. Same music that played during the credits of the bad ending.

Speaking of P3P is there a way to change my difficulty setting after startup? Because I chose it on Easy back when my only SMT experience was SMT4 (which is stupid hard) and because the startup screen said that "Normal" was for "Experienced players only." Now that I've beaten SMT4 and P4G I think Easy Mode for this game is way too easy and I'd like to boot back up to Normal, but not if I have to restart the game.

Restart.

Is this game anti-grind?

Not so much skipping them, as just trying to make forward progress in the tower. Once you find the next teleportation device near a boss head back down, save, then grind till tired if you want. Grinding helps, but having the right personas, skills, and party members is more important.

Academics increases really slowly if you are just studying at night. If I recall correctly, the arcade on certain days has a different games that increase Courage and Academics faster than it would be just to study or karaoke.

Yep. In all honesty, I actually kind of miss the risk vs. reward thing the tired system used to encourage. It added another level of complexity to the dungeon crawling, and the whole system kind of got more boring when they got rid of it.

Edit: I agree with you, I also enjoyed the tired system. I felt that It was a good reminder that these are still just a bunch of high school kids who need to rest, not a bunch of ultra-shonen-mega-fighter heroes.

Acid08

Banned
Not so much skipping them, as just trying to make forward progress in the tower. Once you find the next teleportation device near a boss head back down, save, then grind till tired if you want. Grinding helps, but having the right personas, skills, and party members is more important.

Academics increases really slowly if you are just studying at night. If I recall correctly, the arcade on certain days has a different games that increase Courage and Academics faster than it would be just to study or karaoke.

Academics can go somewhat quickly if you're doing the arcade, studying at night, going to the offering box at the shrine, and eating at Wagatsu.

In my last P3 run(finished it yesterday) I got everything maxed by October. Also had both night slinks done at that point. Only thing to do most nights after was walk Koromaru :lol

Also just general thoughts on the P3 ending path, it's sosososososososo much better than the P4 path. Everything about the lead up to the end and your final day in the game is so fucking great.

CorvoSol

I'm pretty sure once you beat it, and if you want to play again, there's the option to up the difficulty in NG+ all the way up to the second highest difficulty. In FES at least, NG+ just let you choose between any of the difficulties.

So in P3P I can swap protagonists on NG+, right? In P4G do I get the chance to rename my protag on a NG+?

Moonlight

Banned
You can definitely rename on an NG+ in P4G. I remember changing my protagonist's name from some fake name to Yu Narukami on my second run, so yeah.

EDIT: Also, you can swap protagonists in P3P but not technically on NG+. Nothing from MaleMC carries over to FeMC.

Setsu00

So in P3P I can swap protagonists on NG+, right? In P4G do I get the chance to rename my protag on a NG+?

Yeah, you can swap protagonists in P3P.

You'll also keep everything from the other protagonist, which makes things a little bit weird since that allows to have two Orpheus at the same time.

PK Gaming

This reminds me: should I be checking out P2 after I finish P3? Cuz P2 is super cheap these days for PSP.

Kinda.

Both Persona 2 games have a strong narrative and an amazing cast of characters, but the gameplay is asscheeks.

They're definitely worth checking out at the very least.

Kinda.

Both Persona 2 games have a strong narrative and an amazing cast of characters, but the gameplay is asscheeks.

I loved P3:FES and P4.

Too bad I don't have any fun playing P1 and the P2 duology, which is a bummer. Especially when everyone who has played it tells me the story and characters are amazing. Should I just Youtube the story?

Squire

Banned
So I was reading the Arena art book last nightand noticed a couple of interesting things:

Naoto got a new blushing portrait. Nobody else did! Weird.

As I think we all suspected, it seems like Arc did pretty much... everything. The Persona Team kind of set parameters and then Arc built the game around that. Except for Aigis having a million weapons in her back, which was Soejima's idea, strangely.

Arc thought a lot of their weirder moves wouldn't get the okay from Atlus, but they did, such as Akihiko's OHKO.

As we all know, I really dislike Arena (And the art book really highlights that for me), but I think, objectively, it was smart of Atlus to let Arc have so much control over the project. I think that they'll do the same for PQ and P4D too. I think it results in projects that are less Persona-y than they could be, but allows the teams to stay more in their comfort zones and maybe develop a better game because of it.

Yeah, totally. If you're not going to hire a team to let them do what they do best you may as not hire them at all, unless the whole point is to emulate someone else like what Activision does with CoD.

This is why I say PQ is more than likely going to be a Persona-flavored EO game, for the most part.

Ahaha, so I ran into another fake ending. You got me again, Persona 4. Very clever. Nice try, but 80 hours down the drain? Nope, I'm going to get the proper ending.

Those missing three months--I feel kind of cheated. From what I understand you can play through them in Golden? What happens during that time? A lot more free time to Social Link I imagine? Ah well. Never managed to complete Yosuke's, he's the only party member I didn't max; figured I had more time, and he decided to be a dick and not want to hang out a lot during the foggy time.

Oh well, got to see a scene for Christmas Eve.

Distance: <1M

CorvoSol

Kinda.

Are P1 and P2 in the same continuity as P3 and P4?

Ahaha, so I ran into another fake ending. You got me again, Persona 4. Very clever. Nice try, but 80 hours down the drain? Nope, I'm going to get the proper ending.

Those missing three months--I feel kind of cheated. From what I understand you can play through them in Golden? What happens during that time? A lot more free time to Social Link I imagine? Ah well. Never managed to complete Yosuke's, he's the only party member I didn't max; figured I had more time, and he decided to be a dick and not want to hang out a lot during the foggy time.

Oh well, got to see a scene for Christmas Eve.

Distance: <1M

So in Golden you go from
when Adachi is defeated
to having basically all of January to SLink. Then February rolls along and
You have until the Ski Trip to SLink. Once the Ski Trip happens, you're in Marie's dungeon until you beat it. Then I think you get until Valentine's day, afterwhich the game skips to the last day and the final dungeon.

So we all set for OT5?

|OT5| Free Teddie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom