• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

and if its P4G, even longer.

Actually, I put that interval with P4G in mind because, despite all of the additions, it took me around 40-50 hours to finish P4G while it took me about 70 hours to finish vanilla P4. Maybe it's because I knew what I was doing that time around or because of how streamlined it was.

CorvoSol

So, permitting me to wax stupid for a moment, it dawned on me just now another thing I really liked about Rise. She's this famous person who turns out to be really down to Earth, and she kind of subconsciously reminded me of this woman I knew in Brazil who was a model, but was really down to Earth. Kinda funny how so much of the game's cast reminded me of people I know.

when does p4 start becoming a game

I've been pressing x for an hour straight

Don't be distraught, for when it gets going, boy does it get going. You'll soon find yourself stuck to you're Vita with no way to stop playing. All common sense will dictate that you should get help...but you just won't be able to. Then...then you'll understand.

So, permitting me to wax stupid for a moment, it dawned on me just now another thing I really liked about Rise. She's this famous person who turns out to be really down to Earth, and she kind of subconsciously reminded me of this woman I knew in Brazil who was a model, but was really down to Earth. Kinda funny how so much of the game's cast reminded me of people I know.

Yup lol. It's the same with me with Chie, she reminded me so much of my best friend growing up it was a little scary.

ramyeon

Welcome to the craziest community thread!

And nice avatar! It'll be nice to have more P2 fans around here ;o
Thanks! P2 is definitely up there among my favourites, it's just a shame it hasn't aged all that well after being spoiled with the Persona fusing systems. The Tarot Card system is such a pain in comparison. Still a really, really good cast though.
Welcome welcome! :D

I keep holding off on playing Innocent Sin because I'm holding out hope that a proper release of both Persona 2 titles comes eventually
even though that'll never happen :(
You should definitely just bite the bullet and play it. I even played Eternal Punishment first on the PS1 since that's all I had access to in English at the time. It does stand up on its own.

CorvoSol

Don't be distraught, for when it gets going, boy does it get going. You'll soon find yourself stuck to you're Vita with no way to stop playing. All common sense will dictate that you should get help...but you just won't be able to. Then...then you'll understand.

Yup lol. It's the same with me with Chie, she reminded me so much of my best friend growing up it was a little scary.

I literally went to school with Chie and Yukiko, haha. Right down to their style of dress. I don't think I met a Yu in my life until I was in Brazil, though. Which is funny, since to a fair number of people there I was that guy.

Nachos

Portable. And I never ever let my team act independently. As soon as I get a new member I go straight to tactics.

I might need help remembering, then. I know that in the PS2 games, the analyze function took a few turns to complete. I thought that in portable, it was made instantaneous? I could understand defeating all the shadows before the analysis finished up, especially with manual control, but what about her is "useless" to you? I played through all of Portable when it came out, but I just can't remember.
Can't believe I didn't know this thread existed till now. Been a huge fan of the series since I played Persona 3 on the PS2. The Vita has definitely become my number 1 system for having every Persona available to play on it, except Eternal Punishment because PAL region :(

Playing through the PSP remake of Innocent Sin for the first time and I'm impressed at how much nicer looking everything is. I still wish Eternal Punishment's remake had made it over here too, it's sad that the duology always gets robbed of a proper release in the west.
Welcome, welcome!

RaikuHebi

Banned
Finished P4G with the true ending. Amazing, I knew it would be long but it exceeded my expectations.

Man but there's still some of it I need to see! The only job I did was the hospital thing during the post-game and I didn't finish it! I only just discovered the groping nurse loool.

Was 9/10 on Rise and Naoto I had only just begun. I think I had 0 with Kanji lol. I'm gonna leave it for a while. Would feel weird to jump back in so suddenly. I'll delay resuming P3P as well, the ending was quite emotional!

Something tells me you didn't get the best ending if you consider January and February to be "post-game."
You don't fight the last boss until March.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Something tells me you didn't get the best ending if you consider January and February to be "post-game."
You don't fight the last boss until March.
Fuck. Well I still have a save from the branching off point. I'll have to look at a guide. I know from an accidental glance on GAMEFAQs that there are a few more dungeons and was surprised they didn't show up lol.

Seemed the least interesting to me, I suppose I let the first impresdions of his character get to me.

Caladrius

I literally went to school with Chie and Yukiko, haha. Right down to their style of dress. I don't think I met a Yu in my life until I was in Brazil, though. Which is funny, since to a fair number of people there I was that guy.

I've been with a Yosuke, A Yukiko, a Chie, an Akikiko and a Junpei.

I'm currently playing a mixture of Yosuke and Junpei to a Yu. With all the weirdness that implies.

ramyeon

Finished P4G with the true ending. Amazing, I knew it would be long but it exceeded my expectations.

Man but there's still some of it I need to see! The only job I did was the hospital thing during the post-game and I didn't finish it! I only just discovered the groping nurse loool.

Was 9/10 on Rise and Naoto I had only just begun. I think I had 0 with Kanji lol. I'm gonna leave it for a while. Would feel weird to jump back in so suddenly. I'll delay resuming P3P as well, the ending was quite emotional!
Kanji and Naoto were my favourite S.Links from the Playable Characters :(

CorvoSol

I might need help remembering, then. I know that in the PS2 games, the analyze function took a few turns to complete. I thought that in portable, it was made instantaneous? I could understand defeating all the shadows before the analysis finished up, especially with manual control, but what about her is "useless" to you? I played through all of Portable when it came out, but I just can't remember.

Welcome, welcome!

Just that the monsters are dead by the time her analysis is done, I guess. I'm sure when she upgrades to PC she'll rock.

An hour in a 40-70 hour game.

3 hours in and its picking up pace a little bit at least. I've only been in 3 tutorial battles so far tho :U

RaikuHebi

Banned
Fuck I just read a spoiler-free guide about how to get the true ending on the 2nd last day. I knew I shouldn't have saved over my main file! My only option now is a savefile from the December branching off point...*sigh.

CorvoSol

3 hours in and its picking up pace a little bit at least. I've only been in 3 tutorial battles so far tho :U

My experience with the beginning of P3 and P4 has taught me that the game is a bit slow to start, but when it picks up it picks up. Once
Chie joins your party
it's all gold from there.

Fuck I just read a spoiler-free guide about how to get the true ending on the 2nd last day. I knew I shouldn't have saved over my main file! My only option now is a savefile from the December branching off point...*sigh.

And this is why PK Gaming saved my bacon.

kiriin

tumblr_mzxuu6ru2m1t4hczio1_500.jpg

wmlk

Honestly, this is probably different from most of the games you play judging by your impressions. You're supposed to enjoy the interactions between the characters throughout the game, and if you had a disposition of these interactions being a slog even before the game started, then that's not a good thing.

Try to enjoy the game for what it is basically. I think most people who played the game on GAF did that, and people just fall in love with it.

EDIT: I really love what they did with Yu's character in The Animation. So far he seems like a dude who loves being around others and just wants everyone to be happy. I think they nailed the transition of him being a silent protagonist to an actual character. Not just that, he seems like what I'd expect the protagonist to be if he had an outward personality.

Honestly, this is probably different from most of the games you play judging by your impressions. You're supposed to enjoy the interactions between the characters throughout the game, and if you had a disposition of these interactions being a slog even before the game started, then that's not a good thing.

Try to enjoy the game for what it is basically. I think most people who played the game on GAF did that, and people just fall in love with it.

EDIT: I really love what they did with Yu's character in The Animation. So far he seems like a dude who loves being around others and just wants everyone to be happy. I think they nailed the transition of him being a silent protagonist to an actual character. Not just that, he seems like what I'd expect the protagonist to be if he had an outward personality.
yeah I'm just used to p3 because it had a faster start and people seemed less "together and buddy buddy"

Dereck

Persona 3

Why is it that whenever I get that card with the blue cup on it and it says, "Your party's HP has been restored", my HP doesn't restore?

ramyeon

Persona 3

Why is it that whenever I get that card with the blue cup on it and it says, "Your party's HP has been restored", my HP doesn't restore?
They restore different amounts of HP depending on the rank of the card. Especially the lower rank cards early on in the game will only restore a little bit of HP.

Caladrius

I'm so used to prioritizing stat and skill cards in P4G, haha.

Yeah, Wand (the leafy green card) and coin cards are the only non-persona cards you really need to worry about. The Sword usually gives crap-tier weapons and the cup doesn't really have a point since the healing clock (which costs money anyway, mind you) is freely available.

ramyeon

Yeah the cup is useless since HP is really easy to restore, it's SP you'll be worrying about most of the time. Most of my money ended up going to the Healing Clock to restore SP on days where I wanted to stay in Tartarus as long as possible.

ramyeon

What will make people get tired less often?
Stock up on Yawn-B-Gones from the school shop every week when they become available (There's only around 3 in stock each week I believe - if you wait till too late in the week they'll be sold out), they instantly cure Tired status.

This may be P3P only though, it's been years since I played FES.

Tired status in general was a non-issue in P3P I remember it being a lot more annoying in vanilla and FES.

CorvoSol

I've been with a Yosuke, A Yukiko, a Chie, an Akikiko and a Junpei.

I'm currently playing a mixture of Yosuke and Junpei to a Yu. With all the weirdness that implies.

I'd say I am a Yosuke but I've been blessed with the opportunity to be Yu once or twice in my life. Yukiko and Chie are my best friends I've known since Middle School. Chie used to date Kanji until recently, which makes that awkward, and I was lifebros with Naoto until she turned full Mitsuo on us.

In Brazil I knew a guy who was more Yu than I was at the time, and he and I met Rise.

Man, lemme tell y'all, Brazil was one of the best times of my life.

Yeah, Wand (the leafy green card) and coin cards are the only non-persona cards you really need to worry about. The Sword usually gives crap-tier weapons and the cup doesn't really have a point since the healing clock (which costs money anyway, mind you) is freely available.

The best thing about the clock is that, unlike that bastard fox, the clock doesn't charge me my entire savings account to heal.

What will make people get tired less often?

Also I'd like to nominate "exhaustion" as the single worst part of P3P. Time management is hard enough without having that hanging over my head, haha.

ramyeon

The best thing about the clock is that, unlike that bastard fox, the clock doesn't charge me my entire savings account to heal.
I have something to tell you... :p

The fox is way cheaper in the long run since it actually gets cheaper as you level up his S.Link. Healing Clock is the opposite, it keeps getting more and more expensive as the game progresses.

Nachos

So I'm in December in P4G, and I've got some questions for January...
What's the criteria for unlocking the third tier personae? I figured I'd have more time to max everyone out, but I just confronted Adachi and that doesn't seem to be the case. I managed to get everyone's s.links into the 7-10 range, but it looks like actually giving people like Eri the time of day ended up biting me in the butt. Is December basically like every other month in that you can't link with any party members until you defeat the boss, except that the game will arbitrarily skip ahead afterwards, meaning that there's NO free time?

I know the events are in January, but do they only trigger on specific days, or is there just a point at which I can start them after they're maxed? I remember hearing that you can still work on links in January, but it'd suck if whatever triggered these events magically went away if you missed it, as that'd be both unrealistic and a problem from a gameplay standpoint.

ramyeon

What's the criteria for unlocking the third tier personae? I figured I'd have more time to max everyone out, but I just confronted Adachi and that doesn't seem to be the case. I managed to get everyone's s.links into the 7-10 range, but it looks like actually giving people like Eri the time of day ended up biting me in the butt. Is December basically like every other month in that you can't link with any party members until you defeat the boss, except that the game will arbitrarily skip ahead afterwards, meaning that there's NO free time?

I know the events are in January, but do they only trigger on specific days, or is there just a point at which I can start them after they're maxed? I remember hearing that you can still work on links in January, but it'd suck if whatever triggered these events magically went away if you missed it, as that'd be both unrealistic and a problem from a gameplay standpoint.
If memory serves me correctly you can still do party S.Links in December despite not finishing the dungeon. It's the exception to this rule.
The final forms of the Persona are unlocked by spending time with party members that have maxed social links during winter (January 11th onwards). You still have time to max their links in January though and they don't trigger on specific days beyond some party members being unavailable on certain days just like their s.links.

Make sure you beat Magatsu Inaba by December 22nd if you want to see the Christmas Eve dates.

King Fost

Neo Member
Money is never really an issue in P3 regardless. When you start needing more money later on the chests in Tartarus and high ranked coin cards are more than enough to amass a small fortune with.

It's kind of weird because early on, I was constantly broke because I'd spend most of it at the arcade and other such establishments at night trying to boost my stats, but by summer my bank account had a value of a million yen or so and I rarely (if ever) dipped below half that from then on.

Also you need to pay to get a full heal in P3P? I only played the FES version and IIRC, just going back to the entrance was a free heal.

ramyeon

It's kind of weird because early on, I was constantly broke because I'd spend most of it at the arcade and other such establishments at night trying to boost my stats, but by summer my bank account had a value of a million yen or so and I rarely (if ever) dipped below half that from then on.

Also you need to pay to get a full heal in P3P? I only played the FES version and IIRC, just going back to the entrance was a free heal.
Yeah they removed that in P3P and instead put a clock in the Tartarus lobby that heals you for a price. Starts off cheap but gets pretty crazily expensive by the end of the game.

PK Gaming

Third tier Persona's can be obtained starting on January 10th. You need to max out a given party member's social link in order to unlock them.

Re December: You CAN social link with your party members during this month before defeating the boss. December is unique in that regard.

Just recorded one of the best episodes of the podcast ever with Levito, Armada, TheTrueSelf and Mr. Doug Farrell.

Y'all had better listen to this one until the "after hours" bit, since it's absolutely hysterical this time.

PaulloDEC

It's mid-to-late January and I'm finishing off some of my S-Links. My next (and I believe last) big challenge will be the
Hollow Forest
, which I understand you're locked into until you complete it. My team and I are level 78.

Here's my big question: Am I going to get my ass kicked by whatever bosses I encounter in the
Hollow Forest
? I didn't struggle too much with
Adachi
and the
Eyeball boss
, but I'm pretty low on SP replenishing gear now, and lack of SP has always been my biggest problem.

Thoughts?

ramyeon

It's mid-to-late January and I'm finishing off some of my S-Links. My next (and I believe last) big challenge will be the
Hollow Forest
, which I understand you're locked into until you complete it. My team and I are level 78.

Here's my big question: Am I going to get my ass kicked by whatever bosses I encounter in the
Hollow Forest
? I didn't struggle too much with
Adachi
and the
Eyeball boss
, but I'm pretty low on SP replenishing gear now, and lack of SP has always been my biggest problem.

Thoughts?
You'll be fine at that level.
Hollow Forest is easier than it seems at first. There's a constant SP drain in there that means you'll always be low on SP and all your items and equipment are taken away and replaced with other stuff on entry anyway. The boss is easy as if you have a lot of magic users and stock up on the Elemental Affinity breaking items they supply you with in the dungeon. Since all your stuff is taken away, everything that will help you beat the dungeon is supplied in there. So just make sure you equip the armour and accessories you find in there as they cover resistances and stuff.

Dantis

So I was reading the Arena art book last nightand noticed a couple of interesting things:

Naoto got a new blushing portrait. Nobody else did! Weird.

As I think we all suspected, it seems like Arc did pretty much... everything. The Persona Team kind of set parameters and then Arc built the game around that. Except for Aigis having a million weapons in her back, which was Soejima's idea, strangely.

Arc thought a lot of their weirder moves wouldn't get the okay from Atlus, but they did, such as Akihiko's OHKO.

As we all know, I really dislike Arena (And the art book really highlights that for me), but I think, objectively, it was smart of Atlus to let Arc have so much control over the project. I think that they'll do the same for PQ and P4D too. I think it results in projects that are less Persona-y than they could be, but allows the teams to stay more in their comfort zones and maybe develop a better game because of it.

Meia

I also think it allows the Persona team to focus more on the game they're supposed to be doing, something that was worrying quite a few people.

Honestly, the whole thing always struck me as a smart way to grow the brand, and if P5 sells really really well, we'll know it worked. Arena got me back into fighting games somewhat, I bought Etrian Odyssey 4 and now love it thanks to even knowing what PQ is going to wind up being...

Now we just need to have a Persona themed operating game so we can get the whole Trauma series some new life. Maybe have Kanji be the surgeon, he's good with needle and thread. :p

Setsu00

Kaneko is much better when he isn't forced to stay within the SMT lore. I'm kinda intrigued to see what Soejima is capable of once he is allowed to do whatever he wants... I think he mentioned being interested in doing a full color manga and wanting to do something about space.

Dantis

Kaneko is much better when he isn't forced to stay within the SMT lore. I'm kinda intrigued to see what Soejima is capable of once he is allowed to do whatever he wants... I think he mentioned being interested in doing a full color manga and wanting to do something about space.

He did indeed.

I've always seen Catherine's art as what Soejima would do if he didn't work on Persona. Also there's stuff like his work on some light novels, where it sounds like he didn't have many restraints.

Still no playable Dojima with Nanako in Persona slot=/

Yup. Thank goodness for that, too.

I also think it allows the Persona team to focus more on the game they're supposed to be doing, something that was worrying quite a few people.

Honestly, the whole thing always struck me as a smart way to grow the brand, and if P5 sells really really well, we'll know it worked. Arena got me back into fighting games somewhat, I bought Etrian Odyssey 4 and now love it thanks to even knowing what PQ is going to wind up being...

Definitely a valid point. I don't think any of P5's success will be attributable to Arena though, especially considering Arena's sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom