• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong though, I still think Yosuke is a good character who serves an important role in the story: To act as the voice for Yu.

Also, a comedy relief character is necessary for the series, I just wish they switch it up for the next game.

Soriku

i'm not saying it's unbelievable. It's just not great storytelling. Most of his character development occurs offscreen up until late in the year.

By offscreen, you just mean away from the cast, not actually offscreen right? I didn't really see a problem with that.

PK Gaming

Yosuke was one of the characters I related to the least, as far as social links go, but I don't get a whole lot of that male bonding kind of stuff. All just kind of a mystery to me. On the other hand I feel like I can relate to the rest of the cast.
That's understandable, I myself had the complete opposite experience. During my first year of highschool, I moved from to a new area where. I was socially awkward (friendly, but grating). I felt like I wouldn't be able to make any close friends. Fortunately I ended up meeting my (current best) friend, and things quickly picked up from there.

So when I played P4G for the first time, I instantly knew i'd like his character. He hit too close to home.
To me, characters that no one has disagreements over probably aren't actually very great characters.

It's about believability. You don't like everyone you meet in real life, so the same should apply to good characters. I think people are nuts for thinking Yukiko is boring or whatever, but ultimately the fact that discourse comes up as often as it does only serves the argument that Yukiko is a great character.

WORD!

That's why Persona characters are the best. The developers didn't try to make each character super-nice do paragons with perfect morals, they tried to make them human.

Shin Megami Tensei: Raidou Kuzunoha VS Digital Devil Survivor 2 FES: The Golden Break Record VS The Soulless Army Xtreme Legends Maniax

Zephyx

i'm not saying it's unbelievable. It's just not great storytelling. Most of his character development occurs offscreen up until late in the year.

That's believable. IMHO, If a person was jealous of someone and there will be an arc to discuss how they overcame that jealousy problem, it will be more unbelievable as there is no definite way to tell that the jealousy just doesn't exist anymore (especially when they spend so much time together). I agree with you that it's not great storytelling but it sounds more convincing and makes more sense to other people that he/she solved the jealousy problem in his/her own way.

Zee-Row

Banned
I enjoyed it. It's got some animation issues, but if you want more interactions with the gang and to see different versions of the same events from the game, I'd recommend it.

Some people don't like it because it does stray from the regular story, but I thought it did it in very interesting ways. The last few episodes in particular were great.

I'm gonna have to check out the rest then! Thanks for the input!

EMT0

Banned
I felt the same way, but then I saw the light. I understand now. It's about the gifs, the quotes, and about being da man

tumblr_lnzjlmTQcs1qbv8wko1_500.gif

EDIT: and the rapeface. Don't forget the rapeface.

Never heard of it. Is it one of the SNK games?

[
DL26Sev.jpg

Now to complete the Holy Quartet

tumblr_m8tpwwlphw1rdlfmfo2_500.png

EMT0

Banned
Next, lets talk about our feelings for Fuuka.

I liked her. Nerdy chicks are awesome. Her character development is always overlooked by Persona fans just because she has an annoying voice in everything that's not Arena.

I thought her 180 towards the Ganguro girl was insane. Really? The only reason they tried to let you out of the janitor's closet was because they thought you were going to kill yourself, and now you're befriending one of them?

I felt the same way, but then I saw the light. I understand now. It's about the gifs, the quotes, and about being da man

EDIT: and the rapeface. Don't forget the rapeface.

I do love the .gifs, they almost make me wish I liked his character so I could appreciate them more.

I can't stand her VA, and I have little to say about her character.

PK Gaming

I liked her. Nerdy chicks are awesome. Her character development is always overlooked by Persona fans just because she has an annoying voice in everything that's not Arena.

I...

I'm really mixed on Fuuka. On the one hand, i'm definitely with you guys on the OH MY GOD SHE'S SOOOOOO CUTE!!! I absolutely love her voice and nerdy, tech wiz Persona.

But I also feel like she's not fully fleshed out in P3. We never really get to peer into her mental state. Her motivations, her mindset during the year, are completely alien to me. Fuuka was constantly bullied, and her family constantly mistreated her, but she never shows it. Junpei and Yukari also have wack family situations, but you can easily see through their facade. But not with Fuuka... She's just easy going, cool-headed Fukka 24-7. Normal. I always wanted to know if she resented her family. Did she share their inferiority complex? What were her thoughts on fighting Shadows... What did she REALLY think of peers?!? Even her S.links are kind of... ehhhhhhhh. (Ok FeMCs is decent)

I don't really recall any significant scenes with her aside from that bitch Natsuki. What i'm trying to say is... she's boring, beyond her tech wiz-ness. She's too ambiguous for my liking.
(runs)

CrazyDude

I...

I'm really mixed on Fuuka. On the one hand, i'm definitely with you guys on the OH MY GOD SHE'S SOOOOOO CUTE!!!

But I also feel like she's not fully fleshed out in P3. We never really get to peer into her mental state. Her motivations, her mindset during the year, are completely alien to me. Fuuka was constantly bullied, and her family constantly mistreated her, but she never shows it. Junpei and Yukari also have wack family situations, but you can easily see through their facade. But not with Fuuka... She's just easy going, cool-headed Fukka 24-7. Normal. I always wanted to know if she resented her family. Did she share their inferiority complex? What were her thoughts on fighting Shadows... What did she REALLY think of peers?!? Even her S.links are kind of... ehhhhhhhh. (Ok FeMCs is decent)

I don't really recall any significant scenes with her aside from that bitch Natsuki.

(runs)

Pretty much, she is pretty much the only one in the group like that besides the dog.

I like Yosuke more than Junpei overall but Yosuke's (main story) development is basically summed up as "I hate everything" to "OK I don't really hate everything".

Junpei had more depth to him.

I know, I know, but hanging out with Yosuke was probably the closest things to just hanging with one of my bros in real life and just having deep convos and shit

Moonlight

Banned
If I wanted to be honest, I honestly didn't really like Fuuka. As much as I jab at the stilted delivery of her lines when she comes up, she just never really clicked for me as a personality. Her own individual arc, around Natsuki and her never worked for me the way that, I dunno, Junpei and Chidori did, or hell, even Yukari and Mitsuru. Not to mention it struck me as really unbelievable that her and Natsuki could come so close despite everything that she'd inflicted on her, although I'll admit I might have been projecting a bit of myself there. The game makes a point of suggesting she's got a really troubled home life, but doesn't go anywhere with it. She's just... I dunno, half-baked, personally. I mean, like, pretty much everyone else (besides the dog) sees their Persona evolve after finding themselves and finding new resolve. Fuuka just... gets hers. And I think that in and of itself encapsulates a lot of my problems with her.

I think I liked her more in FeMC's route.

Sophia

I thought her 180 towards the Ganguro girl was insane. Really? The only reason they tried to let you out of the janitor's closet was because they thought you were going to kill yourself, and now you're befriending one of them?

That's not really all that unusual, especially given her personality. Tragedy and conflict can bring people closer together when it's all said and done.

Also, totally bet we see Shadow Fuuka in Ultimax.

Caladrius

The one thing I'm remotely interested about with Fuuka is
that she is the one who frees Labrys from the Malevolent Entity's control.

She was imbued with the mystical power of plot.

Am I a bad person for rarely ever caring about the vast majority of characters in everything? As in having no concrete opinion of them and not really paying attention if they don't catch my interest? > __ >

If I wanted to be honest, I honestly didn't really like Fuuka. As much as I jab at the stilted delivery of her lines when she comes up, she just never really clicked for me as a personality. Her own individual arc, around Natsuki and her never worked for me the way that, I dunno, Junpei and Chidori did, or hell, even Yukari and Mitsuru. Not to mention it struck me as really unbelievable that her and Natsuki could come so close despite everything that she'd inflicted on her, although I'll admit I might have been projecting a bit of myself there. The game makes a point of suggesting she's got a really troubled home life, but doesn't go anywhere with it. She's just... I dunno, half-baked, personally. I mean, like, pretty much everyone else (besides the dog) sees their Persona evolve after finding themselves and finding new resolve. Fuuka just... gets hers. And I think that in and of itself encapsulates a lot of my problems with her.

I feel like the way Fuuka's ark is design you feel can't help to feel disconnected from her. It all revolves around her ditching the group for a girl who's only characterization is that she's a repentant bully. That is only exacerbated by her dull personality and bad voice acting. There are moments (which I frankly can't recall right now) in which you see a glimmer of interestingness (not a word) but those are few and far between.

I felt that Yukiko had the same dullness problems that Fuuka had at first, but the character traits that developed throughout the story were enough to make the character very interesting imo.

CrazyDude

I feel like the way Fuuka's ark is design you feel can't help to feel disconnected from her. It all revolves around her ditching the group for a girl who's only characterization is that she's a repentant bully. That is only exacerbated by her dull personality and bad voice acting. There are moments (which I frankly can't recall right now) in which you see a glimmer of interestingness (not a word) but those are few and far between.

I felt that Yukiko had the same dullness problems that Fuuka had at first, but the character traits that developed throughout the story were enough to make the character very interesting imo.

Yeah, to be honest Fuuka was probably the worst character in Persona 3. Even below dog, because the dog get doggy points.

PK Gaming

I wanted to say this, but my post came out all garbled and unfocused haha. I'm glad to see people agreeing with me.

Yeah, to be Fuuka was probably the worst character. Even below dog, because the dog get doggy points.

There was a part in P3 where (spoilers)

After everyone finds out that Nix is coming.

Where Koromaru says something to the extent of "We must face our fate with honor, if you all want to sit around having a pity party, fine, but I will greet death with open arms"

And from that moment on I was convinced that Atlus could give a lamp personality.

Remember that news article that claimed Last Guardian was for the PS4 for 2014 release and P5 for the PS4 targeting a 2015 release (source was a leaking game retailer in Japan?)?

So if P5 gets announced this upcoming weekend, what are the chances of a Spring/Summer Japan release with a near simultaneous (1-2 months difference like SMT IV) in 2014?

Surely, Atlus JP will not tease now then release the game in 2015?

CrazyDude

Social links can quite stressful organizing them all.

Remember that news article that claimed Last Guardian was for the PS4 for 2014 release and P5 for the PS4 targeting a 2015 release (source was a leaking game retailer in Japan?)?

So if P5 gets announced this upcoming weekend, what are the chances of a Spring/Summer Japan release with a near simultaneous (1-2 months difference like SMT IV) in 2014?

Surely, Atlus JP will not tease now then release the game in 2015?
If it is announced this week I am confident that it will come out this summer in Japan and this fall in the U.S. There is a chance of it even coming out in early spring as well, but I think summer would be a sure thing. Past Persona games have come out months after announcements.

I believe Persona 3 was announced in March 2006 and came out in July 2006.

Persona 4 was announced in December of 2007 and came out in Japan in July of 2008. It came out for the PS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom