• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

I love the sheer irony of people hating Yosuke for doing that one thing that one time and then being judgmental of him every time after that.

Especially considering he went on to be good friends with Kanji. But sure, let's just look down on people who befriend people with sexual insecurities.

Zee-Row

Banned
Is Persona 4 the animation any good? I only saw the first episode and thought it was pretty good , I just wanted to know before fully committing to the series. I'm just a little weirded out hearing the main character actually talking.

jaxword

I love the sheer irony of people hating Yosuke for doing that one thing that one time and then being judgmental of him every time after that.

Especially considering he went on to be good friends with Kanji. But sure, let's just look down on people who befriend people with sexual insecurities.

Yeah, seriously.

I think most people here are projecting their own self-dislike for their teen selves. Yosuke is around 16-17-going on 18. EVERYONE here was a complete idiot at that age and thought incredibly stupid things.

That's the whole point. Yosuke, over the year, learns to get over that and become a better person.

It's called character development when someone overcomes a fault of theirs. If each character was perfect, that would be amazingly boring.

Yeah, seriously.

I think most people here are projecting their own self-dislike for their teen selves. Yosuke is around 16-17-going on 18. EVERYONE here was a complete idiot at that age and thought incredibly stupid things.

That's the whole point. Yosuke, over the year, learns to get over that and become a better person.

It's called character development when someone overcomes a fault of theirs. If each character was perfect, that would be amazingly boring.

Agreed.

Tamanon

Banned
Is Persona 4 the animation any good? I only saw the first episode and thought it was pretty good , I just wanted to know before fully committing to the series. I'm just a little weirded out hearing the main character actually talking.

I enjoyed it. It's got some animation issues, but if you want more interactions with the gang and to see different versions of the same events from the game, I'd recommend it.

Some people don't like it because it does stray from the regular story, but I thought it did it in very interesting ways. The last few episodes in particular were great.

Zephyx

What's your opinion of Junpei?

This question only has one correct answer.

I know I'm not the target person for the question but Junpei is more interesting to me than Yosuke. He also has a good
yet tragic
love story so that's a plus. :) IMHO, he has the best presented character development in P3.

Lunar15

It's more that people start acting like he's some kind of Nazi because he was afraid to sleep in a tent with a guy who was known for beating up a bunch of bikers but also had a whole dungeon full of sexual insecurities.

The word just gets flung out there in such a judgmental fashion. Oh, he's a homophobe. And then they just dismiss anything else the character does. Which, I dunno, isn't judging someone based one thing and dismissing the rest the basis of most hateful relationships?

Zephyx

For me, it's good. It's not perfect but the way they present the main story and character development is almost the replica of the game. It's a bit lacking in the side arcs but they compensate it with comedy. Anyway, I liked it and watched the full series in a span of 3 days so I can say it clicked with me.

By the way, the soundtrack of the Margaret battle playing in the true end episode is just amazing. I can't get it out of my head for some reason.

EMT0

Banned
GIF time, round two, let's go

iJOgKiyKJsmef.gif

Lunar15

Anywho, sorry if I ruffled feathers, Just the talk on Yosuke gets to me. I 'm sure everyone here has something like that about this series, it's that kind of series.

At least P5 will bring us a brand new collection of characters to love, hate, and argue about.

My birthday is the same day as The Fall. Take that as you may.

Also, I think that both Junpei and Yosuke are great characters, but that Junpei's much stronger in general because he's more realized. I don't wanna become an echo chamber and bore you guys again, so I'll just say that the points I made in S. Link FM Episode V still stand.

Squire

Banned
When I was 17 I avoided homophobic people so saying he's a realistic portrayal of a teenager (especially in Japan with how behind they are on LGBT issues) doesn't really do any favors. I'm not saying he's badly written but I'm never going to get past that.

I respect your position. I've made the point about him being a homophobe early on before and people tend to get pretty defensive about that. Like, there was one guy in the OT who was trying to defend him without really understanding the claim. It's typically a depressing discussion.

That said, he really is just as nuanced as the other characters and, to my surprise, at the end of the game I honestly felt he was the one I related to the most. I don't consider him my favorite character, but still.

Glad to hear the game clicked for you though. It's a total classic.

Soriku

MAAAAAAAAAN Junpei is my favortie Persona character, but even this claim is debatable, Yosuke's arc is one of the best ones in the series imo

I like Yosuke more than Junpei overall but Yosuke's (main story) development is basically summed up as "I hate everything" to "OK I don't really hate everything".

Junpei had more depth to him.

Sophia

Yosuke was one of the characters I related to the least, as far as social links go, but I don't get a whole lot of that male bonding kind of stuff. All just kind of a mystery to me. On the other hand I feel like I can relate to the rest of the cast.

PK Gaming

Jeez i'm so mad I didn't get to participate in these last few pages

-Yosuke owns. Unequivocally the best P4 character, talk to the hand haters.
-Yukari's not a bitch. Ok she's a bitch at times, but she's still a an amazing character that's relatable and realistic character
-The best level quote is Kanji: "ANOTHER LEVEL, GOTTA KEEP AT IT"

EMT0

Banned
I like Yosuke more than Junpei overall but Yosuke's (main story) development is basically summed up as "I hate everything" to "OK I don't really hate everything".

Junpei had more depth to him.

I feel the same way. Yosuke is relatively shallow and it's easy to read him like a book post-December...and I'm A-Okay with that because he's awesome despite being fairly predictable.

Dr. Buni

Yosuke is, in my opinion, the weakest character in the Persona 4 main cast. He was the only character I couldn't get to like or even just care about.

(Junpei owns)

Jintor

Unfortunately like half of Junpei's development kinda just occurs while you're off doing your own thing.

One day he'll be like GODDAMNIT I'M SO JEALOUS OF MC and then a few weeks later he'll be like OOPS GOT OVER IT

Unfortunately like half of Junpei's development kinda just occurs while you're off doing your own thing.

One day he'll be like GODDAMNIT I'M SO JEALOUS OF MC and then a few weeks later he'll be like OOPS GOT OVER IT

Yeah, He figures stuff out on his own without the need of the MC molly coddling him.

Soriku

Yeah, He figures stuff out on his own without the need of the MC molly coddling him.

Yeah not an unfortunate thing IMO. Pretty much everyone else's development happened the same way really.

Edit: Also getting over something in a few weeks time isn't exactly unbelievable.

Squire

Banned
To me, characters that no one has disagreements over probably aren't actually very great characters.

It's about believability. You don't like everyone you meet in real life, so the same should apply to good characters. I think people are nuts for thinking Yukiko is boring or whatever, but ultimately the fact that discourse comes up as often as it does only serves the argument that Yukiko is a great character.

This is how it felt to me, and why I don't understand the huge amounts of love for him.

Soriku

To me, characters that no one has disagreements over probably aren't actually very great characters.

It's about believability. You don't like everyone you meet in real life, so the same should apply to good characters. I think people are nuts for thinking Yukiko is boring or whatever, but ultimately the fact that discourse comes up as often as it does only serves the argument that Yukiko is a great character.

Yeah but there'll always be characters who most people like just because they are that good or likeable of a character.

kewlmyc

Jeez i'm so mad I didn't get to participate in these last few pages

-Yosuke owns. Unequivocally the best P4 character, talk to the hand haters.
-Yukari's not a bitch. Ok she's a bitch at times, but she's still a an amazing character that's relatable and realistic character
-The best level quote is Kanji: "ANOTHER LEVEL, GOTTA KEEP AT IT"

I like Yosuke too. He acted as the typical teenager trying to be bigger than he actually was. Plus his treatment of Kanji is over exaggerated. He's just making jokes, slightly offensive jokes, but jokes none the less. There's no hate in his words. I didn't deserved to be treated like an assclown like the entire cast treated him, considering was the brains of the investigation team until Naoto showed up.

Junpei's still better. Fuck you Japan for not liking him, I want a figure of him dammit.

This is how it felt to me, and why I don't understand the huge amounts of love for him.
He's a "friend" that hates you due to jealously, but by the end of his personal journey in the game, you're his closest friend. He has the best character development in the game, hands down.

EMT0

Banned

I felt the same way, but then I saw the light. I understand now. It's about the gifs, the quotes, and about being da man

tumblr_lnzjlmTQcs1qbv8wko1_500.gif

EDIT: and the rapeface. Don't forget the rapeface.

Jintor

Fantastic. But since I don't get to see any of it, it's kinda boring up until the point where he has an awesome romance. He just comes off as a schizophrenic jerk.

I like the guy, but I don't like how his story is presented in P3. But it was their first time around, so I'm willing to excuse it.

Jintor

Yeah not an unfortunate thing IMO. Pretty much everyone else's development happened the same way really.

Edit: Also getting over something in a few weeks time isn't exactly unbelievable.

i'm not saying it's unbelievable. It's just not great storytelling. Most of his character development occurs offscreen up until late in the year.

Squire

Banned
Yeah but there'll always be characters who most people like just because they are that good or likeable of a character.

Absolutely. I guess what I mean is that discourse, when present, is a plus not a minus.

Really it's all about development. Whether we actually like a character and whether we can respect them as well developed and/or portrayed aren't mutually exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom