• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Adoochoo pls

image.php

Stop being so predictable with your avatar quoting.

CorvoSol

Well it is as far in the game as I got. Which admittedly isn't far, but she treats him like dirt.

Also, Death Rank 9.

YOU'RE NOT REALLY THE GRIM REAPER? I SPENT ALL THIS TIME PLANNING TO FIGHT YOU YOU OLD BAG. If you're not Death, who the Hell's been inside those treasure chests?!

CorvoSol

Heyheyheyheyhey.....shut it.

Well! I look forward to seeing her turn over a new leaf toward him as I progress the game then. Like I said, I'm not that far in.

EDIT: Guys how does Yu "Remember falling asleep"? I don't ever remember actually doing that.

EMT0

Banned
A Persona game where everyone is forced to kill each other? I wonder how the P4 cast would handle that....

Wait, isn't that the plot of P4A?

It kind of failed miserably at doing that because nobody actually wanted to kill anybody, and there was nothing to force them to do it :p

FluxWaveZ

A Persona game where everyone is forced to kill each other? I wonder how the P4 cast would handle that....

Ha, in a way, but not quite what I had in mind. P4A has the contrived "illusion" reason for fighting each other and they overcome it in a way that makes sense for Persona 4 by trusting in each other; in their friends.

But what I'm talkin' about is really Danganronpa, but literally replace the cast with Persona characters and have the plot reflect the Persona series. An "alternate reality" game where they're actually forced to kill each other for motives that are analogous to the ones in the actual RPGs (motive 1 for Yu = Nanako, for example)... I'd actually probably like that.

Seeing the P3/P4 cast truly go off the deep end... heh, wonderful.

LX_Theo

Banned
It kind of failed miserably at doing that because nobody actually wanted to kill anybody, and there was nothing to force them to do it :p

Which is unfortunate, since if they ever wanted to do something like that... Then they basically used the one most sensible plot setups for making a real Danganronpa like Persona game.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
People clamor for a Raidou game done by Platinum and that's fine and dandy, but obviously what they should do is a Chie action game that plays like God Hand. I mean the damn game's name is in her moveset, so we're already halfway there, right?

Should probably just be titled God Feet since that's how she fights, but I can live with that.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
People clamor for a Raidou game done by Platinum and that's fine and dandy, but obviously what they should do is a Chie action game that plays like God Hand. I mean the damn game's name is in her moveset, so we're already halfway there, right?

Should probably just be titled God Feet since that's how she fights, but I can live with that.

I'm OK with this.

Both of those ideas, Raidou and Chie, sound good in my book, but I still want to dream about my Aigis Vanquish game :p

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Both of those ideas, Raidou and Chie, sound good in my book, but I still want to dream about my Aigis Vanquish game :p

Well, Sega does own the Vanquish IP and they've given Atlus carte blanche to work with whatever they like, so if you care more about the idea than the execution, than they're technically fully capable of doing it themselves! ;D

Surely if they just take their lessons they learned from Maken X and... turn them into... a... good game, then it'll all work out! Right? RIGHT!?

I want my Akihiko character action game by Platinum that involves him traveling across the world and punching the shit out of Shadows :(

Jintor

it's a war out there
everyday
gotta play by the rules
play it cool
gotta laugh in the face of the sad disgrace
when your friends and foes look alike

An Aigis Vanquish game?!

SIGN. ME. UP.

I want to see Aigis slide around at high speeds, kick giant robots in the face, go into slow motion, and shoot them till they blow up. Make it happen Sega.

PK Gaming

Ha, in a way, but not quite what I had in mind. P4A has the contrived "illusion" reason for fighting each other and they overcome it in a way that makes sense for Persona 4 by trusting in each other; in their friends.

But what I'm talkin' about is really Danganronpa, but literally replace the cast with Persona characters and have the plot reflect the Persona series. An "alternate reality" game where they're actually forced to kill each other for motives that are analogous to the ones in the actual RPGs (motive 1 for Yu = Nanako, for example)... I'd actually probably like that.

Haha i'd love to see this too

And since it's DanganRonpa, it'll constantly subvert your expectations.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN (insert X character) DIED!?! THEY WERE TOO (insert desirable trait) TO DIE!!

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Love Plus has some legitimately neat things going on in its mechanics that I've thought Social Links would benefit cribbing from if they were to continue on as a gameplay system in future Persona games. The scheduling mechanics coupled with the fact that there are actual things to still do in the "end game" after you've hooked up I think help lend the relationships in that game a sense of realism that you don't often find in other games of its ilk, since the objective at that point is the continual maintenance of a relationship, rather than just that initial point where they agree to date you as is often the case with those games. I get why Social Links have a concrete end point from a sheer resource perspective, but I'll admit that I've always kind of wanted to know what takes place after the happily ever after that defines the way most of those end. I also always found the optional mode where you can actually schedule dates with your waifu and then wait in real time to go out on them a neat idea, too, albeit one that nobody in their right mind should actually willingly turn on.

On the other hand, from what I've played, the girls in the Love Plus series are pretty soulless, so my interest in Love Plus is primarily from a mechanical perspective. So basically I kind of want those mechanics mixed with Atlus' brand of writing and characterization if they were to ever do a game with more fleshed out social elements.

If you have the language skills to do it, you can actually learn a lot about Japanese game design and what that market finds appealing if you play the popular relationship sims. I initially started playing them with Love Plus mostly out of morbid curiosity, but I also played Dream C Club and Photokano early last year as well and I found their methods of providing relatable characters and compelling gameplay mechanics to be pretty interesting. Photokano in particular is neat since the characters are pretty fleshed out and conversations are actually dynamic and require you to think on your feet beyond just the genre standard branching dialog choices.

Of course it's really easy for games in that genre to go down a philosophically iffy path, especially in terms of how the characters you're supposed to be courting are created in relation to the primary audience for the game. There are good reasons why those games are largely stigmatized even in Japan outside of otaku circles, but at least from an academic perspective, I'll admit to having a bit of a guilty pleasure to playing them to get a better bead on what's on the Japanese industry's consciousness.

I remain extremely curious as to how people will take to Conception 2 when Atlus brings it out to the States in April. Conception 1, I think, is really brilliant satire on a lot of relationship sims that are much more straight-laced about their subject matter while also having legitimately interesting characters, which is what you'd expect when a lot of the same people behind Dangan Ronpa contributed to that game. 2 I think maintains a lot of what 1 started at least from a mechanical perspective, but I have no idea if the tone is as lighthearted and I think that could very easily make or break that game's reception, even if the underlying RPG mechanics are super sound.

Anyway, I guess this is the post where I come out as being someone with a lot to say on campy dating sims. Try not to hate me too much. ;_____;

Rhapsody

Banned

My mind is blown lol. Too bad the execution was pretty awful imo.

For P4A2, I really hope they do story mode like BBCP. Every character didn't have their own story mode. There were episodes for groups of characters. And the fights were minimal so they didn't feel shoehorned and out of place.
I'm starting to see why you gravitate towards evil characters in fighters, haha

If you have the language skills to do it, you can actually learn a lot about Japanese game design and what that market finds appealing if you play the popular relationship sims. I initially started playing them with Love Plus mostly out of morbid curiosity, but I also played Dream C Club and Photokano early last year as well and I found their methods of providing relatable characters and compelling gameplay mechanics to be pretty interesting. Photokano in particular is neat since the characters are pretty fleshed out and conversations are actually dynamic and require you to think on your feet beyond just the genre standard branching dialog choices.

Do you find yourself playing games in Japanese just to practice reading the language?

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
I never picked up Japanese with games as an end goal in mind just because I knew those alone wouldn't be enough of a motivating factor for me personally, so the ones that I do pick up are mainly done either for enjoyment or just genuine curiosity like with a lot of dating sims. To be certain, the better written ones do help keep my reading skills sharp in addition to everything else I consume normally in Japan; part of the reason I like playing stuff like Dangan Ronpa in Japanese is that the writing in those sorts of games is because their verbosity all but ensures I'll come away occasionally learning new terms here and there and those games can be great ways for having a better grasp of modern colloquialisms and whatnot. But I otherwise comes to most Japanese-only games for the same reasons I do the ones I play in English: they look like they'll engage me and be sufficiently entertaining enough to hold my attention and that includes the dumb dating sims I'll occasionally pick up. I force myself to read and write a lot of Japanese so it stays fresh when I'm not living over there, but since games have that interactive element to them, it's harder for me to grind away at them for the sake of purely reading them like I could more traditional media unless I just have that inherent interest in the subject matter.

So for what it's worth, while a lot of people will tell you that visual novels are a great way to practice Japanese reading once you're at a high enough level, I've personally never been able to play a pure visual novel that didn't have other gameplay mechanics attached from start to finish. Part of it's probably just because a lot of the subject matter and character designs in visual novels don't appeal to me, but I've found in the ones that I have played that the indulgent nature of the writing rarely justifies the extra expense in intellectual energy I have to spend reading all of that text as a non-native. There are a few games I suspect I could make exceptions for; I have physical copies of both Hatoful Boyfriend games lying around that I really need to play through at some point, for instance, even though it looks like they got brilliant localizations. But otherwise much like how it is with western games, a lot of Japanese games don't have writing that's as enjoyable as what you'll find in more mature mediums, so you're more likely to see me pick up a Haruki Murakami novel for actual reading practice than a lot of games.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!

Crappy cell phone photo, but yep, those are my physical copies personally. They were doujin games released through Comiket originally in Japan, I believe, so it's really common for them to have limited physical print runs in addition to digital downloads these days. Hatoful Boyfriend in particular is neat because physical copies tend to come with nice extra bonuses, like the school idea for the first game and the New Year's card for the Christmas expansion. You can probably still find some in circulation in places since I think the game was popular enough in Japan to justify multiple print runs, but yeah. They're nice to have around and pleasantly cheap, too; I think I paid $15 at most for both of them combined.

There seems to be just enough of a demand for games of that ilk overseas that I've been considering opening up a web site or something on the side where I source rare or hard to find games like that in Japan for people and ship them overseas after I move back there. It's amazing how many obscure games still don't regularly show up in online auctions over there, but are relatively common sights in game stores behind glass cases and whatnot and I suspect I could make a decent profit as long as I kept costs low to stay competitive with other people in that "business." But I digress.

Gazoinks

Crappy cell phone photo, but yep, those are my physical copies personally. They were doujin games released through Comiket originally in Japan, I believe, so it's really common for them to have limited physical print runs in addition to digital downloads these days. Hatoful Boyfriend in particular is neat because physical copies tend to come with nice extra bonuses, like the school idea for the first game and the New Year's card for the Christmas expansion. You can probably still find some in circulation in places since I think the game was popular enough in Japan to justify multiple print runs, but yeah. They're nice to have around and pleasantly cheap, too; I think I paid $15 at most for both of them combined.

Oh, that's pretty cool. I haven't actually played the game (although I keep meaning to), but I was legitimately surprised by the quality of the writing in the game, among all the insane absurdity. It got, uh, dark.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Yeah, that guy does legit great stuff in Japanese from what I've read and I'm so glad to see it got good English localizations. ("Everybirdie" will always get me as a fellow translator, god damn.) It's really rare to see Japanese satire play well overseas because it's usually over the top and referential to things that are very specific to Japan only, but Hatoful Boyfriend seems like it stands up well enough on its own that you don't have to really be all that knowledgeable about visual novels and dating sims to get a hell of a lot out of it. The creator has done similar games of that ilk, too, which an alpaca dating sim being localized a while back, but my understanding is that Hatoful Boyfriend is the most refined of the bunch. Certainly the most merchandised one, if nothing else; there are drama CDs and shit for that series now. It's beautiful.

Gazoinks

Woah, the same guy did the alpaca sim? I read a LP of that one too actually. :p The translation was pretty Engrish, but it was pretty lovably bizarre too, although less in-depth than Hatoful. It also had one really dark bad end. :D

Top Bottom