• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Soma

I'm highly anticipating (and slightly dreading) whenever Green Mamba gets to Shadow Hanako.

Excellent work so far. :D

Meia

I had no qualms with how they treat her age, since it's the way she acts in context of her age that causes the grief she gets. Hanako kind of grated a bit, as her bad attitude isn't on display nearly as much to get the grief she does.

If we got a shadow like that, it better herald the return of Magna to the series. :D

Thanks for the comments again guys.

I'm highly anticipating (and slightly dreading) whenever Green Mamba gets to Shadow Hanako.
I don't know if I'm actually going to do Hanako yet, as I'm not convinced there's anything to Hanako. I'd almost feel like I'd be making things out of whole cloth. Unless someone can convince me otherwise.

I had no qualms with how they treat her age, since it's the way she acts in context of her age that causes the grief she gets.
I felt it was actually the opposite, sort of--that the way she acted was exacerbated by the way she was treated, that probably fueled an endless feedback loop.

Meia

Thanks for the comments again guys.

I don't know if I'm actually going to do Hanako yet, as I'm not convinced there's anything to Hanako. I'd almost feel like I'd be making things out of whole cloth. Unless someone can convince me otherwise.

As a character, I always thought her endless confidence in herself was just a wall she built to keep herself from being hurt from what others say.

...then you see her stalking Teddie sometimes in school and you realize that no, I don't think it's a false wall. :p

I felt it was actually the opposite, sort of--that the way she acted was exacerbated by the way she was treated, that probably fueled an endless feedback loop.

I could almost see that until she started bad-mouthing Rise like the second she shows back up again at school. I mean, she didn't go from 0 to 60, she kind of started going 85...

PK Gaming

And that's why you play the English dub.

Word

You miss out on all of those little phrases that the characters throw out in the Japanese version. I'm so glad people turned around on the dub; that little preview didn't do it justice at all.

Shadow Kashiwagi:

I had originally just thought to depict her as a dinosaur, but I wasn’t sure “dinosaur” as a term for something old and out-dated was something that crossed language barriers, but I figured fossils were universal. Maybe I’m wrong.

That T.rex skeleton is actually pretty accurate, all things considered.

I actually felt sort of sorry for Kashiwagi for the way the game treats her about her age (which struck me as sexist and unfair, and the game doesn't call anyone on it), but that doesn’t really excuse her for her rancid personality.

Haha, pretty great man

I agree with you completely, they could have done a better job with her character. That said, I think the personality she displayed while actually teaching/school (playful and self-aware) was pretty decent.

Shadow Kashiwagi:

I had originally just thought to depict her as a dinosaur, but I wasn’t sure “dinosaur” as a term for something old and out-dated was something that crossed language barriers, but I figured fossils were universal. Maybe I’m wrong.

I actually felt sort of sorry for Kashiwagi for the way the game treats her about her age (which struck me as sexist and unfair, and the game doesn't call anyone on it), but that doesn’t really excuse her for her rancid personality.

oh man this made me laugh just because the whole "caling someone a dinosaur" thing (does this make me bad), but at the same time it's really good stuff

LX_Theo

Banned
Word

You miss out on all of those little phrases that the characters throw out in the Japanese version. I'm so glad people turned around on the dub; that little preview didn't do it justice at all.
I do have to say, little tidbits of the dub really annoyed me. Stuff like Makoto's "Now I get it" or stuff felt really badly done. Most of it was quite good, though.

Yeah, the game kinda treats Hanako and Kashiwagi crappily, although at least they end up bonding.

Well pretty much Hanako and Kashiwagi were one-note jokes and nothing else in the game. Like Hanako being fat. And Kashiwagi being a Christmas Cake. Though Hanako did get a couple moments in the Anime at least where it wasn't that. like the camp out with her eating the Mystery Food X and liking it. (And something else, but can't remember)

I could almost see that until she started bad-mouthing Rise like the second she shows back up again at school. I mean, she didn't go from 0 to 60, she kind of started going 85...
I would agree that she absolutely had a nasty personality to begin with, no disagreement there. But I feel her main problems stemmed from severe self-confidence issues that were more society's faults than her own.

Concerning Hanako, that was kind of my problem with her--she just kind of wears her negative personality out in the open. I had jokingly suggested to Chet that if I were to do a Shadow Hanako I would just draw Hanako. Her underlying aspects seem to be a hidden nice side, but no one's going to say "You're not me!" to a Shadow that is saying "I'm actually a really pleasant person." Or maybe Hanako would do that? I don't know.

Moonlight

Banned
As far as DR voice-clips go, definitely partial to the 'nyohohohoho's and 'upupupupu's. I tend to think of that sort of thing sounding sort of forced in English, which is why I was so surprised (and pleased) to hear how natural (and how delightfully malevolent) it sounded.

Shadow Kashiwagi:

I'm envisioning her pre-transformation sequence being framed as a classroom lesson not unlike the ones she'd usually give you. Like, "can anyone tell me the definition of a fossil", and all your dialogue options would be "Kashiwagi" or something.

Anyways, very nicely done as usual!

I'm envisioning her pre-transformation sequence being framed as a classroom lesson not unlike the ones she'd usually give you. Like, "can anyone tell me the definition of a fossil", and all your dialogue options would be "Kashiwagi" or something.
That's actually really clever, I like that.

Meia

Concerning Hanako, that was kind of my problem with her--she just kind of wears her negative personality out in the open. I had jokingly suggested to Chet that if I were to do a Shadow Hanako I would just draw Hanako. Her underlying aspects seem to be a hidden nice side, but no one's going to say "You're not me!" to a Shadow that is saying "I'm actually a really pleasant person." Or maybe Hanako would do that? I don't know.

She might if there was some really bad underlying reason for her acting the way she does, but the game doesn't bother going into it because there's too much other stuff going on. It's kind of like with Funky Student, would love to know more, just not really any room.

I mean, if she is repressing a nice side(which anything is possible), for something to reveal to others that you are repressing something like that, well, of course they'd deny it, as it goes against why they're acting a certain way to begin with. To that end, I still wonder exactly what (P4 SPOILERS FOLLOW)
Teddie is. We know he's a shadow, ok cool, what kind? Is he a shadow like the boss shadows of 4? If that's the case, then who is the person he's tied to? If he is, and he's his own being now, did he kill the regular one? And if he did, does that mean the real person was a real monster for Teddie to be so child-like and innocent? Otherwise, I mean, couldn't something like Shadow Kanji if left to his own devices long enough actually come out with his OWN shadow, and then it's own Persona as well?

Gazoinks

Dude, the World Persona in P4 is hilariously broken and weaker than my own Izanagi at the same time. I love it.

Probably my favorite Persona design in the series. One of the few I'd consider getting a fig of someday. Wish they made him easier to get though.

FluxWaveZ

To that end, I still wonder exactly what (P4 SPOILERS FOLLOW)
Teddie is. We know he's a shadow, ok cool, what kind? Is he a shadow like the boss shadows of 4? If that's the case, then who is the person he's tied to? If he is, and he's his own being now, did he kill the regular one? And if he did, does that mean the real person was a real monster for Teddie to be so child-like and innocent? Otherwise, I mean, couldn't something like Shadow Kanji if left to his own devices long enough actually come out with his OWN shadow, and then it's own Persona as well?

He's a "normal" Shadow, said as much by Shadow Labrys mocking him in P4A. What makes him unique is that he developed a consciousness and a sense of self, enabling his awakening to a Persona.
(P4 + P4A spoilers)

Caladrius

Shadow Kashiwagi:

I would have chosen a Dickinsonia for the "What the Fuck" value, but this is far more intimidating. It's quite lovely.

Dude, the World Persona in P4 is hilariously broken and weaker than my own Izanagi at the same time. I love it.

The overhaul to the fusion system unfortunately makes the World Persona completely redundant provided the competitor Persona has no weaknesses. Of course there's the whole time investment that you have to make to max out a Persona, so the World Persona is at least a decent quick-fix if you don't really care to stat grind.(And it looks cool)

Meia

He's a "normal" Shadow, said as much by Shadow Labrys mocking him in P4A. What makes him unique is that he developed a consciousness and a sense of self, enabling his awakening to a Persona.
(P4 + P4A spoilers)

So was it
just the spark of meeting Yu that causes this change to happen? I think he said he put on that form so people would like him.

CorvoSol

\
The overhaul to the fusion system unfortunately makes the World Persona completely redundant provided the competitor Persona has no weaknesses. Of course there's the whole time investment that you have to make to max out a Persona, so the World Persona is at least a decent quick-fix if you don't really care to stat grind.(And it looks cool)

I actually think that as soon as World is maxed on stats and levels, it'll probably be better than my Izanagi, although my Izanagi has more coverage.

Gazoinks

I actually don't like World as much as I do Izanagi.

But his giant ridiculous sword! D: They're both awesome designs, honestly. The one thing I don't really like is the pointy feet, but it makes more sense when Caladrius pointed out that they're stylizations of geta.

Sophia

I would agree that she absolutely had a nasty personality to begin with, no disagreement there. But I feel her main problems stemmed from severe self-confidence issues that were more society's faults than her own.

Yeah there's not really much info on Hanako, which makes it difficult to write a shadow on her. At best I can only think of a shadow that somehow makes her realize just how bad her negative traits are, but I'm not sure how you'd go about that.

(P4 + P4A spoilers)

It's possible his personality might not even be based off one specific person, then. Might like how the Anti-Shadow Weapons developed their own personalty, despite being based off the same girl.

FluxWaveZ

So was it
just the spark of meeting Yu that causes this change to happen? I think he said he put on that form so people would like him.

I dunno, but it's also probably nothing worth looking much into.
He might just represent society's collective desire to feel loved or wanted and that's the Shadow that manifested.

Meia

Yeah there's not really much info on Hanako, which makes it difficult to write a shadow on her. At best I can only think of a shadow that somehow makes her realize just how bad her negative traits are, but I'm not sure how you'd go about that.

A giant mirror.

Caladrius

I actually think that as soon as World is maxed on stats and levels, it'll probably be better than my Izanagi, although my Izanagi has more coverage.

The problem with that is that you can't store the World Persona in the compendium. It's gone by the next playthrough.

It's extremely fucking stupid but alas, that's how they made it.

CorvoSol

But his giant ridiculous sword! D: They're both awesome designs, honestly. The one thing I don't really like is the pointy feet, but it makes more sense when Caladrius pointed out that they're stylizations of geta.

I think I like Izanagi's helmet more is what it is.

The problem with that is that you can't store the World Persona in the compendium. It's gone by the next playthrough.

It's extremely fucking stupid but alas, that's how they made it.

WHAT. Gosh darn it. It'd actually be pretty useful if not for that. I mean the February Dungeon is kind of broken by that Victory Song ability.

I dunno, but it's also probably nothing worth looking much into.
He might just represent society's collective desire to feel loved or wanted and that's the Shadow that manifested.

Or he might belong to Yu. Feelings of not belonging or not feeling loved and wanted would seem pretty natural for a kid whose parents just kinda dumped him in his uncle's house when they went abroad. If Teddie really was Yu's shadow, it would explain why he was drawn to Yu those first times going into the Tv world.

The fact that he gained an ego, could also be explained by Yu's peculiar method of obtaining his Persona. Perhaps when Izanami planted Izanagi within Yu, his connection to his previous shadow (Teddie) was severed, allowing for Teddies "awakening" as his own bear

Caladrius

I think I like Izanagi's helmet more is what it is.

WHAT. Gosh darn it. It'd actually be pretty useful if not for that. I mean the February Dungeon is kind of broken by that Victory Song ability.

Victory Cry is its skill card.
Get it from the cafe and register that sucker as soon as you can. That is The World's only saving grace.(well, that and no weaknesses).

PK Gaming

I actually don't like World as much as I do Izanagi.
Compared to World, Izanagi's just a little boy.

Literally

Izanagi-no-Okami represents (among a host of other things) Yu's transition into adulthood. It's even wearing a freaking tie. A TIE!

EDIT: World got a lot better in P4G. It inherits skills from fusion now, and the existence of skillcards make it extremely easy to tweak its moveset.

Meia

Well, Lucifer does get it at lv99 too. I think there's also a cheap way of getting it mid-way through the game even on playthrough #1 using a forecast...

Yep, cheap way still works. Fuse a Kaiwan on 6/24 and there's a chance for it's Tetrakarn ability to change into that. :p

CorvoSol

Victory Cry is its skill card.
Get it from the cafe and register that sucker as soon as you can. That is The World's only saving grace.(well, that and no weaknesses).

Dude yeah I'm snagging that as quick as I can.

Compared to World, Izanagi's just a little boy.

Literally

Izanagi-no-Okami represents (among a host of other things) Yu's transition into adulthood. It's even wearing a freaking tie. A TIE!

It's legit just the Helmet I think isn't as cool. The rest of the design is fine. And mostly because I prefer Izanagi's side fins to World's bunny ears.

Meia

And then when she says "YOU'RE NOT ME!" and it shatters into a thousand versions of her that are all ugly pigs. :D

That might be too cruel, actually.... >.>

Nah, fun-house mirror. It can reflect how warped her own worldview is.

/meta

You could actually work a fun-house thing into her whole shadow probably, mixing a clown and a fun-house mirror. "Oh everyone just sees me as comedy relief, have to act the part!"

Caladrius

And mostly because I prefer Izanagi's side fins to World's bunny ears.

I don't know if you noticed, but those are belts hanging off of Izanagi's head.

I did not know you could do that!

I didn't know it even existed when I first played through it.

And then when she says "YOU'RE NOT ME!" and it shatters into a thousand versions of her that are all ugly pigs. :D

That might be too cruel, actually.... >.>

Proving that robots have hearts of cold iron.

The Silver Case OST Playlist
I'm sure you'll all enjoy, very ambient early Megaten vibes.
come to think of it, takada did dangan ronpa. i wish i had a vita. @};-

i like them for that and because they remind me of kaneko.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Because of Spike and, by extension, Spike-Chunsoft's corporate genealogy being invariably tied to Human Entertainment, the Dangan Ronpa games are in a lot of ways send-ups to the sorts of games Human used to make. Takada plays an integral part as the one behind the soundtrack, but the references beyond that get pretty wonderfully obtuse and easy to miss if you don't know that history, especially since a lot of those references are to Human games that have never been translated in any capacity. 2 in particular is practically a love letter to old Human games in some parts of it in ways both brazen and subtle and I remain deeply curious just how many people overseas there are that are like CJ who will recognize those homages for what they are once it's available in a localized form. Honestly those references are probably some of my favorite parts of those games aside from the actual narratives themselves since practically the rest of the Japanese industry has forgotten about companies like Human at this point.

Anyway, if we're just on the subject of Takada soundtracks now, I've been listening to Dangan Ronpa 2's pretty constantly and it's so great. Takada has a real knack for making songs that are practically cacaphonic in terms of how much the instruments clash while still making for a pleasant sounding whole. It doesn't apply to all of his work obviously, but it's consistent enough that I'm always impressed just what he manages to pull off. I've been practically addicted to the long version of the game's title theme and, for lack of a better term, the song that plays when characters dramatically object to your assertions. I'd be very careful of checking out the rest of the soundtrack since the song titles often have spoilers, but those two should be good to go.

I've always enjoyed Takada's work, although coming out 2, I'm definitely a lot more appreciative of what he's going after with his style. I basically can't imagine the Dangan Ronpa games without his work and I suppose that'll be true for most any other game I play in the future that has his music in it, too. Great stuff.

CorvoSol

You know, the only SLink in the game that disappoints me is the Fox. All that work and no explanation at all. Just a fox in a bib who wants money.

CorvoSol

So uh, Dojima gives you
the Christmas Costumes
. I mean, we all know about the trunks and how odd that was, but there's something about a guy Dojima's age handing Yukiko
that red slip
that just seems, um, off.

Top Bottom