• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

How long did Persona 3 take to make? I know Persona 4 was knocked out in like a ridiculously quick time, but I'm curious as to how long it took to make the original template.

FluxWaveZ

You're cruel. >_>

<(*_*<)^(*_*)^(>*_*)>

Not too sure a random variety show where two people talk about all things Persona would be the right place to reveal the first actual trailer for P5, but I guess there's always a chance.

...Usually when those words are uttered, it means there's no chance.

PK Gaming

tumblr_n169cf3K0D1qgn0c6o1_500.jpg

tumblr_n169cf3K0D1qgn0c6o2_500.jpg

I bet he'd like to grab that ass and run to the bedroom, heyo

i'm an awful, awful human being

How long did Persona 3 take to make? I know Persona 4 was knocked out in like a ridiculously quick time, but I'm curious as to how long it took to make the original template.

I would guess around 2-3 years, because I bet they started right after finishing SMT III: Nocturne, since the they split from R&D 1 of ATLUS to go do that.

Sophia

<(*_*<)^(*_*)^(>*_*)>

Not too sure a random variety show where two people talk about all things Persona would be the right place to reveal the first actual trailer for P5, but I guess there's always a chance.

...Usually when those words are uttered, it means there's no chance.

I have a feeling we'll get more info about the other Persona games. Unless Tomomi Isomura voices someone in Persona 5, that is.

I would guess around 2-3 years, because I bet they started right after finishing SMT III: Nocturne, since the they split from R&D 1 of ATLUS to go do that.
Ah, I see. I'm just kind of contextualizing Persona 5's development time, which seems fairly long, and long dev times have a tendency to make me nervous (even though it's usually unjustified).

Ah, I see. I'm just kind of contextualizing Persona 5's development time, which seems fairly long, and long dev times have a tendency to make me nervous (even though it's usually unjustified).

It's not as lengthy once you realize the team was working on Catherine in addition to the ports of every game in the series, although I'm not sure how intensive or how much of the Persona team worked on the latter.

It's not as lengthy once you realize the team was working on Catherine in addition to the ports of every game in the series, although I'm not sure how intensive or how much of the Persona team worked on the latter.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a small part of the team working on the pre-production part of P5 while they were developing Catherine, heck I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing that after P4 was finished

Squire

Banned
Yes, Minako Kotobuki.

Ah, then yes, my guess is Tomomi is in P5.

I don't really think you need to worry until a games production hits the five year range. They haven't been working on this for that long. They made Catherine and then they built an engine afterward. My guess has always been that they spent a year in pre-production nailing down the story and characters and started development after that. P5's dev time is probably just right. :)

CorvoSol

So P3PF question. If Akihiko and
Shinji
are romance options, but Junpei is not, who is the 3rd stat-related romance option? The dog?

FluxWaveZ

I think you're one of the people who played DR with the dub and enjoyed it, so I imagine you agree with me that sometimes casting newbies /unknowns goes a long way. :)

There's that, and it might be a more common occurrence when it comes to Japanese seiyuu, but I'm trying to point out ways that this won't be Persona 5 before the hype train you're conducting hits a cliff.

I think she's probably just participating as a series fan, like last time.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!

Don't quote me on this, but my understanding was that at least P3P was done by a skeleton team of the original people and that Golden was done by a mostly different team while the main people kept chugging away at 5. Criware, which is the engine that powered 3 and 4 in their various incarnations, is platform agnostic and while that doesn't make the porting process a complete breeze, it should mean that Atlus was able to put out P3P and Golden without having nearly all hands on deck, even with all the graphical changes that had to happen with the former.

Not entirely certain what went down for the other PSP ports, though. Historically, Atlus has contracted companies like TOSE to do the ports like when the Super Famicom SMT games were brought over to the PlayStation, although they've largely gone uncredited. Pretty certain that at least the port for 1 was an inside job since they did actively publicize people like Meguro working on it, but it's a toss-up for the 2 duology. Atlus once again is the only company credited with development to my knowledge, but given how little they ultimately changed outside streamlining the battle system and adding some cinematics, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if those games were contracted to an outside company in secret.

But that's just my guess with very little actual evidence to go on. It's not entirely common for porting companies to be openly named in some cases and TOSE is famous for being completely anonymous as a developer outside the Starfy games. As I mentioned before, though, TOSE has been known to be hired by Atlus in the past and I recall Atlus' name still showing up in recent Japanese financial documentation when I was researching what games they've worked on a while back. So that's just my hunch personally.

PK Gaming

I still have flashbacks to Fire Emblem Awakening.

Well...

He's a romance option in the Japanese version. They censored it here because I don't know HE'S FUCKING TEN.

His S.link is pretty enjoyable though, and it's an evening S.link so it's easy to max out.

Squire

Banned
There's that, and it might be a more common occurrence when it comes to Japanese seiyuu, but I'm trying to point out ways that this won't be Persona 5 before the hype train you're conducting hits a cliff.

Ohhhh, I see.

Yeah, probably.

CorvoSol

Well...

He's a romance option in the Japanese version. They censored it here because I don't know HE'S FUCKING TEN.

His S.link is pretty enjoyable though, and it's an evening S.link so it's easy to max out.

In fairness, I felt most of Nowi's conversations in Awakening were okay on their own. It was the idea of her getting married that was unwelcome.

Gazoinks

They're going in a new direction for P5, she's voicing Igor.

Gazoinks

I'm still slightly worried that Igor won't be in P5, and they'll just hand his position off to Margaret.

If they do get rid of Igor, I'd like if they brought back Philemon to fill that role. Handing it off to Marge would feel kind of weak, she doesn't really have the same mystique on her own.

FluxWaveZ

Prediction: The talk show's gonna be filled with people clapping and saying "hai" frequently, shoving random Persona artwork into the camera while people scream about it and five minutes before the show ends they'll reveal the exciting announcement, which will either consist of a Persona related contest or a new Persona figure.

pan-hime

Prediction: The talk show's gonna be filled with people clapping and saying "hai" frequently, shoving random Persona artwork into the camera while people scream about it and five minutes before the show ends they'll reveal the exciting announcement, which will either consist of a Persona related contest or a new Persona figure.

Gross.

Gonna be new Aigis figures. tbh, more regurgitated PQ, P4U2, and P4D news

CorvoSol

If they do get rid of Igor, I'd like if they brought back Philemon to fill that role. Handing it off to Marge would feel kind of weak, she doesn't really have the same mystique on her own.

Well the only real reason I worry about it is I heard that Igor's voice actor died? Like, I remember reading that that was the reason that Margaret does all the talking in the anime, and Igor mostly just says "Welcome to the Velvet Room."

I dunno about mystique, but if I had to cite a reason I don't think Marge could take the task it'd be that she doesn't feel vaguely threatening. Before I got into P4 and had only played a little of P3 I was super worried that Igor was secretly my enemy, since all that talk about contracts was fishy.

Gazoinks

Well the only real reason I worry about it is I heard that Igor's voice actor died? Like, I remember reading that that was the reason that Margaret does all the talking in the anime, and Igor mostly just says "Welcome to the Velvet Room."

I dunno about mystique, but if I had to cite a reason I don't think Marge could take the task it'd be that she doesn't feel vaguely threatening. Before I got into P4 and had only played a little of P3 I was super worried that Igor was secretly my enemy, since all that talk about contracts was fishy.

Well yeah, that's what I mean by mystique. When I played P4 I was convinced Igor was evil during the beginning of the game. There's that sort of wariness about him. Marge is just kind of a person.

Top Bottom