• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

FluxWaveZ

I've thought for a while that P4D could be pushed into 2015, so P5 can come out here simultaneously or within three months of it's JP release. Obviously it's a higher priority for a multitude of reasons.

Most people couldn't see it for SMTIV, but the wait was so short, it basically happened.

Persona 5 will presumably be far different than SMT IV, though. For one, I wouldn't really call a two month interval simultaneous.

But SMT IV has WAY less text and VA than Persona 5 will have. I'd say a fairer comparison would be Persona 4 Arena in terms of text and VA—which they also said was their biggest localization project yet when it had come out—but even that'd be a weird exception because it's a fighting game + visual novel.

Pushing P4D and PQ aside, I think, would be the "safest" games to push aside if they were to prioritize Persona 5 somehow, since they'd probably want to get P4U2 out close to the Japan launch since it's a competitive fighting game, but who knows if that'd actually be a smart decision or if that's even feasible.

cj_iwakura

Persona 5 will presumably be far different than SMT IV, though. For one, I wouldn't really call a two month interval simultaneous.

But SMT IV has WAY less text and VA than Persona 5 will have. I'd say a fairer comparison would be Persona 4 Arena in terms of text and VA—which they also said was their biggest localization project yet when it had come out—but even that'd be a weird exception because it's a fighting game + visual novel.

SMTIV had quite a bit of dialogue, especially amongst the NPCs. A good amount of incidental VA too.

Necrovex

The Atlus localization chart makes me super sad. I know I won't play Persona 5 prior to my departure overseas. It'll be years. Years of avoiding spoilers. My heart. It can't.

Squire

Banned

Pushing P4D and PQ aside, I think, would be the "safest" games to push aside if they were to prioritize Persona 5 somehow, since they'd probably want to get P4U2 out close to the Japan launch since it's a competitive fighting game, but who knows if that'd actually be a smart decision or if that's even feasible.

I know the scales are different, but I think they have every reason to try and repeat with P5 because of that. There's more riding on P5.

It's not the textbook definition of simultaneous, I know, but two months? Anyone who plays JRPGs knows how crazy short a wait that is.

FluxWaveZ

I know the scales are different, but I think they have every reason to try and repeat with P5 because of that. There's more riding on P5.

It's not the textbook definition of simultaneous, I know, but two months? Anyone who plays JRPGs knows how crazy short a wait that is.

Yeah, it's short enough. It's just that within three or four months of the Japanese release is a time frame I would actually expect but, when discussing simultaneous, I'm taking it to mean literally within the same week. It's the latter that I would not expect.

FluxWaveZ

Amanda Winn Lee's mentioned recording for Persona again on her Facebook page.

Hmph

pQrfeuP.png

Jintor

Wow, she must not give a fuck about breaking any kind of rules for not saying things about unannounced projects.

Well, according to the slink she never bothers actively looking for work in the VA space anyway, and it's not like they're going to replace her, so...

Lunar15

The fact that she's recording for these games before they're even out in Japan is a really good sign that we'll get them as quick as possible over here.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Surprise! She's actually doing dubing for the drama CDs and the games are all staying exclusive in Japan, suckers! ;D

FluxWaveZ

The fact that she's recording for these games before they're even out in Japan is a really good sign that we'll get them as quick as possible over here.

Yeah... if what she's doing even involves the games and not something weird (like a drama CD). It's probably game work, but even then it could be early recording to ensure battle VA compatibility for the Japanese release of P4U2 just like CP, while the English release could similarly be released months apart from it.

Wish I knew previous Atlus USA VA schedule trends when it comes to the P-Studio games. I might need to look it up.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Nah, English adaptation of the stage show.

I like this idea even better! We'll go with that! I know she says she doesn't do booze anymore, but I think it'd be really something special if we could see her playing the King's Game as gets drunk in front of a live audience.

I'm a good person with great ideas about how to revolutionize the art of theater, musicals, and visualive(R) shows.

I like this idea even better! We'll go with that! I know she says she doesn't do booze anymore, but I think it'd be really something special if we could see her playing the King's Game as gets drunk in front of a live audience.

I'm a good person with great ideas about how to revolutionize the art of theater, musicals, and visualive(R) shows.
Well if we do, then we will be get a Crossdressing Pageant, oh man.
Or Adachi's Chair Car Adventure

Oh man. Can you feel the step, IT'S GENIUS
tumblr_n1iptnZcp91trymwho1_250.gif

Jeez, my tumblr just exploded last night after I uploaded Nanako. I didn't think that one would be so popular--it was probably the one I was the most iffy on the whole way through.

I feel I should give some credit where credit is due--Chet helps me formulate a lot of them. He's the go to critique guy and is good to bounce ideas off.

CorvoSol

Jeez, my tumblr just exploded last night after I uploaded Nanako. I didn't think that one would be so popular--it was probably the one I was the most iffy on the whole way through.

I feel I should give some credit where credit is due--Chet helps me formulate a lot of them. He's the go to critique guy and is good to bounce ideas off.

Shadow Nanako is the one shadow I wish had actually been in the game.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!

I haven't played Golden, so if it makes you feel any better, even I had to go look up the answer myself because I'm not super good on my Japanese Buddhist history. Really interesting phrase with a neat backstory if you're a language nerd like me, though!

Probably the neatest tidbit I got out of it all when I was looking up the original Japanese phrase, 「弘法にも筆の誤り」, was that we actually have an equivalent one in English, albeit obscure: "Even Homer nods." If that Wiktionary link is to be believed, the line comes from a poem by Horace, Ars Poetica. Seeing Atlus USA go with a literal translation of the question instead of something potentially a bit more accessible and easily researchable like that is something I find really intriguing. I suspect I know why they localized it the way that they did, but I'd still be curious to hear what they would have to say about it regardless.

For as disconnected as English and Japanese were in terms of linguistic development for much of their histories, there are a surprisingly high number of expressions that you would think only exist in one language but are actually present in both to a pretty literal degree. "Killing two birds with one stone," for example, translates into 「一石二鳥」 ("One stone, two birds").

Anyway, there's your daily post from me about why languages are pretty neat.

Top Bottom