• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

CorvoSol

tumblr_n1lqyooyFd1trymwho1_1280.png

So does this mean that Rise and Fuuka aren't PCs again?

PK Gaming

It's funny, returning to FFVII again made me appreciate the gameplay quite a bit, it's still a great game in the regard. The writing isn't nearly as good as my nostalgia led me to believe though. haha

barkley-head-shake-o.gif

Turok was pretty rough back in the day too. Half-life platforming on a N64 pad, yuck.

I went through the same experience when I replayed it last year.

It's more than just "this guy are sick" the entire script is pretty wonky overall. That said, it's still a fantastic game overall. It's really, really fun.

I went through the same experience when I replayed it last year.

It's more than just "this guy are sick" the entire script is pretty wonky overall. That said, it's still a fantastic game overall. It's really, really fun.

Fuck you Barret, I attacked that thing when its tail was up because you told me you poop.

Sophia

But wait, does this mean that "anyone" can become a leader? Interesting.

I can have Aigis as the Party Leader? Truly the greatest Persona game there is!!

LOL.
It's a tough game, for sure. I feel like the disparity between entry level play and even mid-tier play is higher than any other fighter I can think of.

Not even close. Arena has the lowest disparity between the two out of most fighting games today.

Dantis

Not even close. Arena has the lowest disparity between the two out of most fighting games today.

I absolutely disagree.

I can't think of another fighter I've played where I felt more outclassed by players only slightly above my experience level than Arena.

Lemstar

LOL.
It's a tough game, for sure. I feel like the disparity between entry level play and even mid-tier play is higher than any other fighter I can think of.
please tell us more about how to assert things without providing any support

i'm new to the internet

Sophia

I absolutely disagree.

I can't think of another fighter I've played where I felt more outclassed by players only slightly above my experience level than Arena.

Do you even have any experience playing beyond a beginner level at anything? o_O;

Gazoinks

Hardin also seems to confirm that EO-style mapmaking is in Persona Q in the comments, but the wording's up to interpretation. I don't promise anything.

I assume this is in response to asking why it's not on Vita, yes? Anyway, good to hear. I really like the mapmaking in EO, but I was expecting them not to transfer it to this game.

Sophia

Hes pretty damn baller at Dead or Alive

Yeah I know that much, but his statement is utterly absurd given it only takes a few minutes to look around and see that there are a considerable amount of fighting games with metagames far more developed then a game that came out a mere year ago. :p

Dantis

Yeah I know that much, but his statement is utterly absurd given it only takes a few minutes to look around and see that there are a considerable amount of fighting games with metagames far more developed then a game that came out a mere year ago. :p

Surely that would be high level play, if someone is getting deep into the meta game?

Without getting into weird semantics about "Oh, but have you actually played every fighting game" (I obviously haven't literally, it was hyperbole), I have played a lot, and many of them online, and in my opinion, there is a larger disparity in anything beyond beginner level in Arena than in any other fighter I can think of off the top of my head.

Sophia

Surely that would be high level play, if someone is getting deep into the meta game?

The meta game doesn't just consist of endgame/high level play, and eventually it evolves to the point where learning the meta game is the difference between a beginner and someone who knows what they're doing. And some of the games currently being played as fighters have 5, or 10, or 15, or more years on the competitive scene.

Sorry Dantis, but you pulled that conclusion completely from your ass. :p

todd360

Looking back, I'm relatively surprised they kept it a PS3 exclusive.
Especially with Cathrine and P4A having Xbox ports and now the 3DS getting its own Persona game.

I wonder if there's going to be a Persona 6 in PS3 or if they would just move to PS4.

MUST REUSE ASSETS!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Persona 6 will be on 3ds you fool lolololololol
Hopefully ps4.

Dantis

I've alway been weirded out by almost every character having matching hair/eye color. It's just more pronounced here.

It's always bothered me too, actually.

I understand that it's a design decision, but it's one I dislike.

The meta game doesn't just consist of endgame/high level play, and eventually it evolves to the point where learning the meta game is the difference between a beginner and someone who knows what they're doing. And some of the games currently being played as fighters have 5, or 10, or 15, or more years on the competitive scene.

Sorry Dantis, but you pulled that conclusion completely from your ass. :p

We're talking about different things, clearly.

Sophia

We're talking about different things, clearly.

No, we're not. The competitive scene influences the online game too. Have you tried playing something like Super Street Fighter IV online? I guarantee you that you'll find the skill gap much bigger then in a game as new as Persona.

(And as Lem pointed out, SF4 is actually a bad example for me to use, but whatever. I'm trying to raid Titan Extreme in FFXIV too, and it's not going so well. So I have a headache. But you could use any fighting game more mechanically complex then P4A.)

PK Gaming

I absolutely disagree.

That's just your anecdotal evidence though

Arena literally incorporates an autocombo for each of the playable characters.

Can't get much more beginner friendly than that

Levito

Banned
Arena is pretty approachable, something like Tekken is far more difficult to grasp the mechanics of.

I'm terrible at fighting games though.

Rhapsody

Banned
I guess my definition of mid-level play is different than what some people think.

Regardless, I'm on Sophia's side on this one. Low level play and mid level play in P4A is a lot closer than almost any other competitive fighter I've played.

I can't really single out a mechanic that can separate low level and mid level easily unlike some other fighters. No worries about movement options or utilizing a lot of variations of blocks, etc.

CorvoSol

Guys I just need to know if Rise will actually be a party member this time or not. It's important.

Also, has there been a full version of the song from the P4D trailer yet?

Lemstar

in my opinion, there is a larger disparity in anything beyond beginner level in Arena than in any other fighter I can think of off the top of my head.
What is this opinion based on, though? Tell me you have some kind of specific observation based on your time spent playing the game, and not just this nebulous concept that it's hard.

Gazoinks

Guys I just need to know if Rise will actually be a party member this time or not. It's important.

Also, has there been a full version of the song from the P4D trailer yet?

I doubt it. Fuuka and Rise are probably still going to be Navigator types.

Also, not to my knowledge. It's a remix of Pursuing My True Self, yeah?

PK Gaming

Barring autocombos, there are a bunch of things in Arena the shorten the gap between low level players and mid level players
-Combo's are fairly easy to execute (by fighting game standards)
-The comeback mechanic grants you 50SP, 50% more defense, and a new super. In other words, it's actually possible to steal a win by comboing into super.

So even a low/mid skilled player like myself can take a game off CrazyTank or TWILT if I combo into the right super at the right moment. That kind of luxury simply does not exist in other fighting games (like Street Fighter IV)

Dantis

No, we're not. The competitive scene influences the online game too. Have you tried playing something like Super Street Fighter IV online? I guarantee you that you'll find the skill gap much bigger then in a game as new as Persona.

(And as Lem pointed out, SF4 is actually a bad example for me to use, but whatever. I'm trying to raid Titan Extreme in FFXIV too, and it's not going so well. So I have a headache. But you could use any fighting game more mechanically complex then P4A.)

I actually get what you mean.

We were on different wavelengths, I think. You're saying that if you jump into another fighter now, it would be very difficult to get into it, and that's probably completely true.

I was speaking from my experiences of playing fighters, often as a beginner or something only slightly above beginner. I play games generally around release. I'll buy or rent them, play them for a short while, and stop. So that's why my experiences are very different to what you're describing.

It is indeed completely anecdotal. It wasn't meant to be a grand debate or a statement on the state of the game or its fanbase. Inorigo sounded like he was having trouble with it, particularly Shadow Labrys. I had a similar experience a few weeks ago when I decided to grind out some trophies from Arena. That's all.

Arena is pretty approachable, something like Tekken is far more difficult to grasp the mechanics of.

I'm terrible at fighting games though.

Okay, so I guess I had a lot more trouble with Tekken, actually.

I literally couldn't do shit. Played it for a few hours and that was it.

FluxWaveZ

I guess my definition of mid-level play is different than what some people think.

Regardless, I'm on Sophia's side on this one. Low level play and mid level play in P4A is a lot closer than almost any other competitive fighter I've played.

I can't really single out a mechanic that can separate low level and mid level easily unlike some other fighters. No worries about movement options or utilizing a lot of variations of blocks, etc.

It's not something I've even thought about since I don't know the distinction. I wouldn't be able to say whether my level of play in P4A is "low", "mid" or whatever.

In other words, it's actually possible to steal a win by comboing into super.

So even a low/mid skilled player like myself can take a game off CrazyTank or TWILT if I combo into the right super at the right moment. That kind of luxury simply does not exist in other fighting games (like Street Fighter IV)

A single round or a whole match? Because taking a round is absolutely meaningless if it doesn't result in an overall win, and I would disagree that P4A's mechanics are simple enough to be able to frequently be able to take matches by chance.

Yeah... I'm gonna have to disagree with the entry to mid skill level in P4A being "tough", especially if someone like me of all people can actually be decent at it :p

Squire

Banned
Do you have the ps3 version now?

Yep! Got it on sale this week.

I've got nothing on tonight. Do you want to play some practice matches later on?

I'm game!

It's really close together. I got the game the February after Golden came out. By August I was decent at it.

Gazoinks

Awesome! This image has me the most hyped, it's cool seeing all the characters laid out like that.

This probably won't happen, but I hope unused characters get XP. I like more than five Persona characters, so I want to be able to switch at will without grinding!

Party:
Front: Chie, Kanji, Junpei
Back: Yukari, Aigis

I'm going to be importing the PQ 3DS LL/XL bundle when it comes out. Would anyone here be interested in a subbed playthrough of the game? I can read Japanese, like Pepsiman can.

Top Bottom