• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Rhapsody

Banned
It's not something I've even thought about since I don't know the distinction. I wouldn't be able to say whether my level of play in P4A is "low", "mid" or whatever.
Yeah. It's definitely one you can't really gauge in terms of where a "cutoff point" would be for level of play.

Mid-level to me is basically those that know the mechanics. They just don't know how to put the pieces well together.
So to me, someone could know all their combos, but I'd still consider it mid-level if they don't know how to effectively manage meter or screen control (as an example).

I know others don't feel that way on mid-level play though, haha.

Even with mechanics like OMB and such, I still don't think there's a barrier as bad as some other games for low to mid play.
Something like BB's teching system would be one, imo. Or maybe 64 and Melee's L canceling.

Yep! Got it on sale this week.

Excellent. You should stop by the IRC sometime and join us in our regular matches!

Guys I just need to know if Rise will actually be a party member this time or not. It's important.

Also, has there been a full version of the song from the P4D trailer yet?

That's what you get when your waifu's persona has a satellite dish for a head!

This is the best version we have so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEikrypWEwA

Some new PQ images I found!

FXBUAQm.jpg

2EM68sC.jpg

dtQp4tx.jpg

1hZ2CRr.jpg

dkaIruQ.jpg

Seems Rise will be the guide again.

I want this game badly. It scratches that P1/2 itch that 3/4 cant, but don't try to, and thats good, but man this game looks like it will.

PK Gaming

A single round or a whole match? Because taking a round is absolutely meaningless if it doesn't result in an overall win, and I would disagree that P4A's mechanics are simple enough to be able to frequently be able to take matches by chance.

Oh, definitely a single round. But that round win could theoretically take place in the final set, so i'd hardly call it meaningless. EX: I'm fighting against a better player, I lose R1 but somehow manage to win R2. Despite taking a massive beating in R3, I manage to win by landing 6k OMB combo.

I wasn't trying to imply that bad players could frequently overcome good players by relying on the mechanics (I mean you're living proof of that, hah) but P4A is a game that offers the losing player a route to victory via its mechanics (whereas games like Street Fighter don't generally allow that I find)

That was why I thought that the gap between beginners and mid level players wasn't as high.

Sophia

It's not something I've even thought about since I don't know the distinction. I wouldn't be able to say whether my level of play in P4A is "low", "mid" or whatever.

I actually think you and Q are the perfect counter example to what Dantis is saying. Both of you are on the high level end of gameplay, relatively speaking. Yet even some of us beginners and intermediate players could win a match against you with a bit of practice.

If that's not a low gap being able to beat two tourney level players with some practice, then I dunno what is.

Dantis

I want this game badly. It scratches that P1/2 itch that 3/4 cant, but don't try to, and thats good, but man this game looks like it will.

Carousel reminds me a lot of P1P, as an aside.

Like, seriously.

I actually think you and Q are the perfect counter example to what Dantis is saying. Both of you are on the high level end of gameplay, relatively speaking. Yet even some of us beginners and intermediate players could win a match against you with a bit of practice.

If that's not a low gap being able to beat two tourney level players with some practice, then I dunno what is.

Like I say, I was just speaking from my experiences.

I was winning matches, but I felt like I was cheesing it, rather than winning out of mad skillz.

FluxWaveZ

Yet even some of us beginners and intermediate players could win a match against you with a bit of practice.

Uh, when we're playing seriously? I kind of doubt that.

Don't know if I'd call myself tourney level, though.

Oh, definitely a single round. But that round win could theoretically take place in the final set, so i'd hardly call it meaningless. EX: I'm fighting against a better player, I lose R1 but somehow manage to win R2. Despite taking a massive beating in R3, I manage to win by landing 6k OMB combo.

I wasn't trying to imply that bad players could frequently overcome good players by relying on the mechanics (I mean you're living proof of that, hah) but P4A is a game that offers the losing player a route to victory via its mechanics (whereas games like Street Fighter don't generally allow that I find)

That was why I thought that the gap between beginners and mid level players wasn't as high.

Ah, I see what you mean, I think. Still, I would argue that taking R2 and R3 would still mean that you outplayed your opponent, regardless of the nature of the game's mechanics.

Lunar15

Front: Mitsuru, Yukiko, Naoto
Back: Junpei, Teddie

Team Mullet: Business in the front, party in the back.

EDIT: Only five people!

Gazoinks

Could someone repost the snippet of the PQ battle theme that got posted a while back? Want to take another listen.

Front: Mitsuru, Yukiko, Naoto
Back: Yosuke, Junpei, Teddie

Team Mullet: Business in the front, party in the back.

Five people to a party. :p

Sophia

Probably not now, but I haven't seriously played in quite awhile. I got burned out really bad on fighting games. :(

Yeah. It's definitely one you can't really gauge in terms of where a "cutoff point" would be for level of play.

Mid-level to me is basically those that know the mechanics. They just don't know how to put the pieces well together.
So to me, someone could know all their combos, but I'd still consider it mid-level if they don't know how to effectively manage meter or screen control (as an example).

Even with mechanics like OMB and such, I still don't think there's a barrier as bad as some other games for low to mid play.
Something like BB's teching system would be one, imo. Or maybe 64 and Melee's L canceling.

I definitely wouldn't consider myself mid-level anymore at Persona. I know all the stuff, but I haven't practiced in forever. Every time I play with the IRC folks, I feel insanely rusty at it.

TWILT

Banned
Just wanna add that P4A's entry to mid skill level is indeed one of the smallest ones for a fighter this gen. Stuff like easy to do, yet decent damaging combos, the Awakening comeback mechanic, 2 button DPs, and just a simple input scheme in general (the worst is Mitsuru's charge move, and even that's not too bad). That's not to say the better player won't always win, the less experience player still has a chance if they play smart.

Out of the ones I've played (have played mostly all of them, bar the really niche ones), the toughest fighter is probably still KoF13.

I can't put it much better myself honestly. On this scale (as well as how I've been considering my skills as of late), I'd place myself in mid. Shit, Arena's one of the only two games I'd say that much about, haha

Gazoinks

LOL.

Is the front and back thing similar to Soul Hackers? Back row can't do melee and whatnot?

Pretty much. Back row can attack the enemy's front row in melee for less damage, can't hit the enemy's back row. Front row can hit both. Being in the back row makes you take less damage but also makes you do less damage if you're a melee character, essentially.

Assuming it's the same as EO.

CorvoSol

I doubt it. Fuuka and Rise are probably still going to be Navigator types.

Also, not to my knowledge. It's a remix of Pursuing My True Self, yeah?

Ah, I didn't realize it was just a remix.

That's what you get when your waifu's persona has a satellite dish for a head!

It's a telescope in P4G.

But yeah, looks like Fuuka and Rise will still just be team guides. Also I guess Dog Collar Crossbones and Yellow Girl are 1 party member. Which is weird.

Rhapsody

Banned
I don't think people could beat Flux if he tried 100 percent each time if there was a skill gap.

To me, Flux is (or at least could be) on high level play. He just needs to polish up fundamentals more (imo) with offline experience.

If someone's playing me, I for sure can get randomed out at this point lol

It's been awhile though so I could be embellishing or something

Sophia

LOL.

Is the front and back thing similar to Soul Hackers? Back row can't do melee and whatnot?

If its anything like Etrian Odyssey which it takes inspiration from, front row is more likely to hit with melee attacks, but the back row takes less damage.

PK Gaming

Ah, I see what you mean, I think. Still, I would argue that taking R2 and R3 would still mean that you outplayed your opponent, regardless of the nature of the game's mechanics.

That's a good point. I appreciate how P4A gives you the chance of overcoming a clearly stronger player if you look for the opportunity. I guess an example that comes to mind is Akihiko 5B fatal combo. If you can land that when they're out of Bursts (even if you're the inferior player) you can scratch out a win.

I don't think people could beat Flux if he tried 100 percent each time if there was a skill gap.

To me, Flux is (or at least could be) on high level play. He just needs to polish up fundamentals more (imo) with offline experience.

If someone's playing me, I for sure can get randomed out at this point lol

It's been awhile though so I could be embellishing or something

You're someone I consider a good player who fits into what I was saying before. I could fight you 20 times, and I think I could win once or twice if I took you out with 3-4k combo into super.

Dantis

Man, I have a proper weird collection of games to play through right now.

Started Atelier Ayesha. It's actually a lot better than I expected and has in fact not yet made me want to vomit.

Bought Trapt and Odin Sphere from PSN earlier. Been looking for a copy of Trapt for ages because it's Makoto Shibata, who also does Fatal Frame.

Bringing it back around to Persona, I did the tutorial to Stella Deus earlier. That game is frigging beautiful. I shouldn't be surprised, seeing as it's Soejima, but man. Game is meant to be shit, but whatever.

Also, as far as importing a 2DS for PQ goes, is there anything wrong with the 2DS besides no 3D? Because that doesn't bother me one bit. I'd actually planned to import one really soon, but seeing as PQ is still a good ways off, there's no rush. I can wait to play SMT4.

All female team!

Aigis/Chie
Yukiko/Yukari/Mitsuru

SEXIST.

I hope Vita gets a original megaten game soon.

It would be cool, but I think it's unlikely.

Gazoinks

Also, as far as importing a 2DS for PQ goes, is there anything wrong with the 2DS besides no 3D? Because that doesn't bother me one bit. I'd actually planned to import one really soon, but seeing as PQ is still a good ways off, there's no rush. I can wait to play SMT4.

It can't fold. Other than that it's pretty nice, I have one.

Gazoinks

Seeing the screens of that new digimon vita game made me imagine a megaten game for the Vita that looked as good.
The art is by the Devil Survivor guy too.

It's too early for SMTV, so I'm curious what they'd do. I'd like of like to see a new cyberpunk game ala Soul Hackers.

CorvoSol

You gotta admit it is pretty incredible that there is an RPG with enough female characters to fill a party of five.

You could do it in Final Fantasy 4: The After Years! All told I think there's 9 female characters in that game? In a cast of 22 they're just shy of half the cast being female.

Star Ocean (Ilia, Millie, Phia, Mavelle, Pericci, Erys, Welch - obvs some of these characters are mutually exclusive)
SO: Second Story/Blue Sphere (Rena, Celine, Opera, Precis, Chisato)
SO: The Last Hope (Sophia, Peppita, Nel, Mirage, Maria)
Suikoden 3 (While all Suikoden games feature a large number of ladies, S3 is the only one where your entire party could consist of women)
Assorted SaGa titles
Dragon Quest 4
Dragon Quest 9 (once you can recruit the Tavern workers)

Sophia

Star Ocean (Ilia, Millie, Phia, Mavelle, Pericci, Erys, Welch)
SO: Second Story/Blue Sphere (Rena, Celine, Opera, Precis, Chisato)
SO: The Last Hope (Sophia, Peppita, Nel, Mirage, Maria)
Suikoden 3 (While all Suikoden games feature a large number of ladies, S3 is the only one where your entire party could consist of women)
Assorted SaGa titles
Dragon Quest 4
Dragon Quest 9 (once you can recruit the Tavern workers)

I was specifically referring to parties of five. But yeah those games count too. :p

You could do it in Final Fantasy 4: The After Years! All told I think there's 9 female characters in that game? In a cast of 22 they're just shy of half the cast being female.

Yeah, FFIV has enough characters in The After Years. Plus you don't need Cecil or Ceodore in the party.

I was specifically referring to parties of five. But yeah those games count too. :p

You can have a party of five in Suikoden 3 and most SaGa titles. As a bonus, you can actually have a party of five ladies in those games, while it does not appear that will be the case in PQ (I am under the impression that one of the Leaders is required to be in the party at all times, and thus far they have not shown Hamko)

You're good people.

And Star Ocean 2 is the best game in that list. Still my favorite PSX era JRPG. AND it had social links! :D

Star Ocean First Departure does the PA system way better because the stricter recruitment system means it was easier to write scenes where the characters actually interact with one another.

Sophia

You can have a party of five in Suikoden 3 and most SaGa titles. As a bonus, you can actually have a party of five ladies in those games, while it does not appear that will be the case in PQ (I am under the impression that one of the Leaders is required to be in the party at all times, and thus far they have not shown Hamko)

Scroll back a few posts to Pan's post. Apparently you can switch the leaders out.

pan-hime said:
"It doesn’t matter what kind of party you put together. For example, you can take me and these girls here to create the "All Smiles Teddie-Harem Party"!!"

Top Bottom