• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Zebetite

Banned
For P5, we can probably assume this will happen in a relatively short amount of time since this game is on the short list to be undubbed anyway.

Can someone explain undubbing Persona games to me? Like, why people care that much about it? These games have typically-excellent dubs. The first time I played Persona 4 was literally minutes after finishing a round of Zone of the Enders 2 and oh my god the difference was night and day.

Like, I understand the usual dubs vs subs arguments and how those go down, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that people who play Persona play an awful lot of video games, an awful lot of which are made in Japan. Yet Persona is one of the only series I can think of where I'm aware of people who go out of their way to patch in the old voices. It's weird to me considering how many worse dubs there are out there.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Can someone explain undubbing Persona games to me? Like, why people care that much about it? These games have typically-excellent dubs. The first time I played Persona 4 was literally minutes after finishing a round of Zone of the Enders 2 and oh my god the difference was night and day.

Like, I understand the usual dubs vs subs arguments and how those go down, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that people who play Persona play an awful lot of video games, an awful lot of which are made in Japan. Yet Persona is one of the only series I can think of where I'm aware of people who go out of their way to patch in the old voices. It's weird to me considering how many worse dubs there are out there.

Persona is probably the most notable one of the bunch, but it's definitely not the only game series that gets this treatment. My understanding is pretty much every major Japanese-developed RPG of note that doesn't have dual voice options gets an undub hacked in. Pretty certain Tales games routinely get them and the older Final Fantasies did more regularly before Square-Enix started offering an official means of obtaining the Japanese voices like they are with Lightning Returns. But yeah, some people just seem really adamant about playing the games in their native language. Personally speaking from experience, I feel that a lot of the arguments about qualitative stuff goes out the window as soon as you actually speak Japanese and see how those actors can be as hokey as everyone else, but I digress.

fertygo

As anime fan I can understand, Persona's Japanese voice actor is usually the all-star collection that you can put together lol

Also its a plus they're not reusing VA for different character lol

I do agree, Persona 3-4 dub is excellent for most part.

Squire

Banned
It was interesting reading Miyazaki's comments on voice acting in the Japanese industry last week.

Miyazaki isn't my favorite person, despite liking the bulk of his work, but the VO comments and his recent assertion that there are too many "fans" of anime becoming directors both struck me as sort of "Oh" moments.

He has his points.

Edit: You know, I have to say, we don't treat our voice actors like seiyuu, but everything is relative. Keeping that in mind, the P4 cast in particular is loaded with all-stars.

koutoru

It's a preference,especially with a game like Persona that clearly takes place in a Japanese setting.
Some people just like to listen to Japanese video games in their original language, regardless of quality.

Tamanon

Banned
Undubs never made sense to me, it would seem you're ruining your "pure Japanese" experience anyways by reading an English translation.

i82Ukg3GWxXx7.jpg

Managed to make some awful graffiti in Jet Set Radio! Used that Chie kimono art and put "Persona" over it in some terrible font. That graffiti editor sure is something :lol

lol

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Persona is probably the most notable one of the bunch, but it's definitely not the only game series that gets this treatment. My understanding is pretty much every major Japanese-developed RPG of note that doesn't have dual voice options gets an undub hacked in. Pretty certain Tales games routinely get them and the older Final Fantasies did more regularly before Square-Enix started offering an official means of obtaining the Japanese voices like they are with Lightning Returns. But yeah, some people just seem really adamant about playing the games in their native language. Personally speaking from experience, I feel that a lot of the arguments about qualitative stuff goes out the window as soon as you actually speak Japanese and see how those actors can be as hokey as everyone else, but I digress.

I think a lot of people who act like the Japanese is the super-ultra-superior version don't realize this. There's just as many bad performances in English as there are in Japanese.

It just irks me when people go "DUB ONLY WILL NOT BUY" or some other such nonsense, because of the notion that it will be "bad" in their eyes due to not having GLORIOUS NIPPON LANGUAGE.

It just irks me when people go "DUB ONLY WILL NOT BUY" or some other such nonsense, because of the notion that it will be "bad" in their eyes due to not having GLORIOUS NIPPON LANGUAGE.

I say this all the time, but that's because I am aware of how terrible it is when it's in English, it's not bad if I don't realise it is.

The power of ignorance.

Lunar15

I say this all the time, but that's because I am aware of how terrible it is when it's in English, it's not bad if I don't realise it is.

The power of ignorance.

This. So much this.

A lot of times my preference comes down to what I watched first. I don't think I could watch Cowboy Bebop without a dub, but a the same time, I can't stand the funi One Piece dub (despite it not being that bad).

koutoru

I don't think I could watch Cowboy Bebop without a dub, but a the same time, I can't stand the funi One Piece dub (despite it not being that bad).

For me, in terms of games, I definitely prefer the Japanese dub of Persona over the english dub. Not because one is better than the other, it's just my preference.

However, there are JRPG's like Kingdom Hearts were I prefer the english dub over the Japanese dub, because I want to hear the Disney characters in english.

arue

Found the clearest version of Persona Q's Carousel that we'll probably get for a while when seeking to do it myself. Ripped from that Teddie walkthrough on the official website.

Wish they had upped the volume, but having the full main theme is nice.

Edit: Screw it, uploaded my own version.

Thanks for the rip, Flux. I only had the one from the US trailer and the one from PV03 where the end was covered by Minato speaking. Hopefully the American LE comes with the CD.

misterF

Neo Member
Found the clearest version of Persona Q's Carousel that we'll probably get for a while when seeking to do it myself. Ripped from that Teddie walkthrough on the official website.

Wish they had upped the volume, but having the full main theme is nice.

Edit: Screw it, uploaded my own version.

Thanks! Do we know who's singing? Is it a mix of Yumi Kawamura and Shihoko Hirata to reflect the crossover of both Persona 3 and 4?

misterF

Neo Member
Yeah it's both of them. They also sing their respective team's battle themes.

Kind of sad that this will probably be the last time we hear them but it's nice that this game gives us the chance to listen to them singing a couple of new songs.

Dantis

*peers in cautiously*

Am I safe?

I just loaded up P2:EP. I can't bring myself to play it, even though I want to. It just feels so cumbersome and difficult to traverse. I know people say "Well all RPGs were like that back then", but it's a lot bloody easier to go back to an old Final Fantasy or Breath of Fire than it is this.

On a more positive note, Carousel is completely wonderful (Cheers for uploading it, Flux!). An absolutely brilliant track, and definitely a worthwhile opening song. Buying the soundtrack ASAP.

Sophia

Kind of sad that this will probably be the last time we hear them but it's nice that this game gives us the chance to listen to them singing a couple of new songs.

We won't hear the end of them. There is at least one more Persona movie coming out, as well as Arena Ultimax's theme.

*peers in cautiously*

Am I safe?

It's been safe since slightly before the announcements. :p

PK Gaming

*peers in cautiously*

Am I safe?

I just loaded up P2:EP. I can't bring myself to play it, even though I want to. It just feels so cumbersome and difficult to traverse. I know people say "Well all RPGs were like that back then", but it's a lot bloody easier to go back to an old Final Fantasy or Breath of Fire than it is this.

On a more positive note, Carousel is completely wonderful (Cheers for uploading it, Flux!). An absolutely brilliant track, and definitely a worthwhile opening song. Buying the soundtrack ASAP.

Where are you? EP's a bitch to slog through, but if you're like 30-40% you might as well complete it.

Dantis

Where are you? EP's a bitch to slog through, but if you're like 30-40% you might as well complete it.

I think something like four hours? But I don't think I'm very far. I just (Very minor spoilers)
crash landed on the beach

I probably have, what, another 30 hours left? I'll do it at some point, but man, I'm in no rush. Maybe I'll blast it just before P5 comes out or something. I'll be more hyped by then.

*peers in cautiously*

Am I safe?

This isn't really a good excuse, especially when games like Chrono Trigger exist. I imagine that P2 was kinda archaic, even back then. Especially when games like Soul hackers and P1 are so much better.

Levito

Banned
^Same here.

RPG's are no exception to the fact that some games are easier to return to than others.

OOT still plays fucking great, Goldeneye plays like utter shit. (Classic examples)

PK Gaming

I think something like four hours? But I don't think I'm very far. I just (Very minor spoilers)
crash landed on the beach

I probably have, what, another 30 hours left? I'll do it at some point, but man, I'm in no rush. Maybe I'll blast it just before P5 comes out or something. I'll be more hyped by then.

For some reason I thought you were a lot farther than that. I wouldn't bother then, it's always a bad idea to force yourself to play through a mediocre game.

This isn't really a good excuse, especially when games like Chrono Trigger exist. I imagine that P2 was kinda archaic, even back then. Especially when games like Soul hackers and P1 are so much better.

Word

Sophia

It's weird how much a mere UI improvement makes Persona 1 such a good game, and Soul Hackers was always one of the best RPGs of its era, let alone in the Megami Tensei franchise. >_>

^Same here.

RPG's are no exception to the fact that some games are easier to return to than others.

OOT still plays fucking great, Goldeneye plays like utter shit. (Classic examples)
Whoa hey now. Goldeneye still plays just fine thank you very much. You want an archaic N64 game? Turok. Defaults have you move with your right hand and look with your left. Total opposite of today's shooters. D:

Levito

Banned
It's funny, returning to FFVII again made me appreciate the gameplay quite a bit, it's still a great game in the regard. The writing isn't nearly as good as my nostalgia led me to believe though. haha

Whoa hey now. Goldeneye still plays just fine thank you very much.

barkley-head-shake-o.gif

Turok was pretty rough back in the day too. Half-life platforming on a N64 pad, yuck.

It's still blowing my mind seeing opinion reverse on p1 and 2, saying p1's gameplay held up and p2's didn't. For the longest time it was the opposite.

Dantis

It's still blowing my mind seeing opinion reverse on p1 and 2, saying p1's gameplay held up and p2's didn't. For the longest time it was the opposite.

I've always said that P1P's gameplay is better because they changed it more. Things like adding the run button and the quick load screens were complete blessings.

Gazoinks

I don't particularly like P2's gameplay, but I think people are sort of overrating how bad it is. When I played IS, the gameplay basically hovered around "Trivial and meh" to "slightly tedious". EP's is more tedious because of the card system, but the only real reason I got sick of it was because I played EP immediately after IS, which meant I got fatigued.

Also, the whole reason Goldeneye is fun in multiplayer is because of how badly that game plays. :p

I've always said that P1P's gameplay is better because they changed it more. Things like adding the run button and the quick load screens were complete blessings.

Definitely this, though. It feels like they spent more time tinkering with P1P's gameplay compared to P2's. Although I haven't played R:p so I can't compare the game in its original state.

Sophia

Definitely this, though. It feels like they spent more time tinkering with P1P's gameplay compared to P2's. Although I haven't played R:p so I can't compare the game in its original state.

It's not actually as much changed as you think mechanically. The user interface changes are a true blessing however.

Top Bottom