• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

The sequel to a successful fighting game on a system that has sold 100+ million isn't going to touch the numbers of a spinoff dancing title on the Vita? I see P4DAN doing good, but not doing P4G or Miku numbers. 120k copies maybe?

I'm talking Japan. P4A actually had a higher debut in Japan than any fighting game released this gen(unless JoJo counts), that includes games like Tekken and SF. It did so well though because of Persona fans, not fighting game fans. I think Persona fans are going to eat P4D and PQ up. I think P4A 2 will do well but no where near as well as the other 2 because we have already had a fighting game before.

Lunar15

Speaking of speculation, I've been thinking about the structure of Persona Q lately. Since they're using a school festival as the setup, it seems like the dungeons will be the classroom events (Think the group date cafe from P4) and all of your utilities will be in the hallways. I bet you'll play festival games to get prizes.

If I'm remembering correctly, I've seen one classroom entrance as "Alice in Wonderland"(Hence the shrinking potions) and another one that was "Tunnel of Love". At first I thought they'd all be Alice in Wonderland themed, but it looks like there will be different themes for different classrooms.

Acid08

Banned
P4A sold around 125k copies during its first week in Japan (making it one of the fastest selling fighting games). As of late August 2012, it had sold around 180k copies in Japan. Doesn't seem to be any accurate worldwide sales after that.

P4AU will probably perform better than P4D, especially since P4D is a Vita exclusive. Around 100k copies for the first week of P4AU in Japan sounds about right.
I don't see how being a Vita exclusive can be a knock against it when P4G was super successful on there. There's a lot of potential sales for P4D because of how Golden sold.

Dantis

I don't see how being a Vita exclusive can be a knock against it when P4G was super successful on there. There's a lot of potential sales for P4D because of how Golden sold.

Exactly.

Conversely, I think a lot of people will see Ultimax as an extended re-release, as opposed to a sequel (As that's largely what it is). I think it will sell significantly worse than the first game.

FluxWaveZ

I'm not knocking its potential to be successful, I'm comparing how successful it might be compared to P4AU.

PK Gaming

tumblr_n1h4kagrpr1s9mdewo4_500.gif

You have to wonder just what was going in the Investigation teams mind when they decided to make their entrance.

IT: If we pull this off, we'll be legends.

Meanwhile the SEES is like

tumblr_inline_n1n46g7Vg21stgul4.png

SEES: ...

cjkeats

You have to wonder just what was going in the Investigation teams mind when they decided to make their entrance.

I see it as SEES being cautious and having their Personas at the ready, probably on order from Mitsuru, while the IT probably spotted people and were all "Oh shit, what do we do?!" and Yosuke just shouts: "Quick! Jojo!"

hao chi

Heh, thinking about it, they didn't really comment on that in P4A.

Yeah, which is why I'm guessing they probably won't really have a reaction to it in PQ. Which is too bad, because I'd love a good, "OMG what the FUCK are you people doing!?" moment from the IT.

Trigger

Speaking of speculation, I've been thinking about the structure of Persona Q lately. Since they're using a school festival as the setup, it seems like the dungeons will be the classroom events (Think the group date cafe from P4) and all of your utilities will be in the hallways. I bet you'll play festival games to get prizes.

If I'm remembering correctly, I've seen one classroom entrance as "Alice in Wonderland"(Hence the shrinking potions) and another one that was "Tunnel of Love". At first I thought they'd all be Alice in Wonderland themed, but it looks like there will be different themes for different classrooms.

I think you might be on to something. Pretty cool if that's the case.

Acid08

Banned
I'm not knocking its potential to be successful, I'm comparing how successful it might be compared to P4AU.
Eh, I don't know. P4D seems like the kind of game anyone who like P4 can pick up and probably enjoy. A fighting game is a taller order. I'd say P4D is more successful in Japan while P4AU is more successful out West.

CorvoSol

My bet is that Chie or Yosuke told everyone to do it, they did it, and then they all felt silly as hell afterward and wondered why they'd listened to Chie or Yosuke in the first place.

Or their entrance happened during a rematch of The King's Game.

EDIT: Also is Rise not in this shot?

FluxWaveZ

Eh, I don't know. P4D seems like the kind of game anyone who like P4 can pick up and probably enjoy. A fighting game is a taller order. I'd say P4D is more successful in Japan while P4AU is more successful out West.

This is what we can't really use data to predict since these games are two specific cases. For one, I don't know if a rhythm game is actually more approachable than a fighting game for the mass market (which is where the Japan or NA discrepancy you posted could occur), but I suppose I'd suspect it is.

But then, we've got the fact that P4AU will be on the PS3 and on the 360 outside of Japan, which have a far larger userbase than the Vita does. P4AU is also being advertised as "the explosive conclusion to Persona 4's aftermath", which could make people want to experience the story firsthand. On the other hand, maybe not as many people care about that compared to seeing a story centered around Rise and the Midnight Stage.

Either way, I'm sure both games will be successful, which is what matters.

Dantis

Because I don't like fun, I'm going to point out how out of character and silly the Jojo poses are.

The Investigation Team is the new rookie cop while SEES is the hardened grizzled veteran.

SEES: We're too old for this shit.

PK Gaming

My bet is that Chie or Yosuke told everyone to do it, they did it, and then they all felt silly as hell afterward and wondered why they'd listened to Chie or Yosuke in the first place.

Or their entrance happened during a rematch of The King's Game.

EDIT: Also is Rise not in this shot?

I don't think she's in the shot. Neither is Fuuka on the P3 side for that matter.

Because I don't like fun, I'm going to point out how out of character and silly the Jojo poses are.

tumblr_n1m4rjvWv01spdy36o6_250.png

kewlmyc

I just think they're very silly poses, and don't suit the characters.

Which isn't the point of them, obviously, but that doesn't make me not dislike them.

I was just joking with you. Not liking Jojo poses (and I guess Jojo in general) is very inline with you usual personality.

Does it really matter when characters are doing sort of out of character things in a game where you team up with a mysterious girl with a penchant for corn dogs and a dog collar wearing young man with dual crossbows?

CorvoSol

THIS GAME IS SHIT.

I demand fanart of Rise doing a Jojo pose to alleviate such a travesty.

Also, Fuuka isn't in the P3 one, so I guess the navigators are elsewhere.
Marie isn't in the P4 one, but no one cared.

You're right. NO ONE CARED.

I need to get to the Jojo anime. I got to episode 5 before getting distracted by games and schoolwork.

I just now started watching the series. Stuff is manly.

LX_Theo

Banned
Worldwide and lifetime?

No chance, mate.

250k. Calling it.

Seems reasonable. I can see 175k-200k in Japan lifetime, for sure. Considering the genre and following of both Persona and Hatsune Miku there, its certainly within reason. I can see 50k-75k in the rest of the world lifetime. Same sort of reason in terms of following for both.

Tamanon

Banned
I wonder if a Nocturne port would work on iOS. Maybe the next iteration of it, but it doesn't seem like it would be that annoying of a control scheme to translate.

Oh yeah, there should be a new Stardust Crusaders trailer tomorrow.
hypehypehypehype
What about Nocturne on PSN
That would imply that they can get the PS2 game running properly on their emulators and work out negotiations with Capcpom over a certain character from a certain series :p

I'm not sure if they tried Nocturne but I could have sworn I heard some of the other PS2 Megaten's didn't run properly

Acid08

Banned
I remember I originally wanted to play Nocturne because I saw it had Dante in a preview :lol

Had no idea what kind of game it actually was, of course.

Top Bottom