• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

FluxWaveZ

I'm still waiting to see why Buddha loves Maya so much. Positive thinking is her only defining trait so far. I have faith it'll happen though.

If you don't like her pretty much from the outset, you probably won't like her ever (unless some of the crazy shit she does or future character development makes you think otherwise). It's not like she gets better in Eternal Punishment.

But I tend to concur with the above that Maya's one of the best characters in the franchise, though I do like Ixquic a lot.

arue

LIST YOUR FAVOURITE PERSONA CHARACTERS RIGHT NOW GO

So this is a thing eh?

P1: I haven't played it yet, but I'm going to guess MC.
P2IS: Based on how far I got into the game... Maya and Tatsuya
P2EP: Haven't played it yet. Probably Tatsuya because I got spoiled about P2IS's ending.
P3: Obviously P3MC.
P4: Nanako and Naoto.

Caladrius

Don't lump me with that freak Kenji!

My favorite characters all just happen to be hotties. There's another pattern though...!

DYXNlWa.png

I did not pose nude with that man... Theodore Lewinski.

Someone saved that!?

PK you're scaring me.

It perturbs you only because it is a reflection of the true self.

Jinto

I've decided I'm gonna get into the Persona series starting today. I have the 3 PSP games, FES, and P4G. I really wanna play P4G, since I've heard such good things, but is that the best game to start with?

Dantis

Don't lump me with that freak Kenji!

My favorite characters all just happen to be hotties. There's another pattern though...

HUGE CHESTS.

Also, the P3P teacher falls into my "Soejima has been making the female characters a lot more 'attractive' since P3P" thing. I'd never noticed it with her until now.

EDIT: I'm just going to point out that I'm aware that the pattern PK was actually talking about was that they're all teachers.

I've decided I'm gonna get into the Persona series starting today. I have the 3 PSP games, FES, and P4G. I really wanna play P4G, since I've heard such good things, but is that the best game to start with?

If I were you I would start from persona 1-4, but if you don't want to deal with old school gameplay start with Persona 3 fes.

Sophia

Persona 4 Golden is an excellent starting place. Either start there, or with Persona 3 FES. Once you're done withe either one of those, try Persona 3 Portable (for the female protagonist) or one of the classic games.

FluxWaveZ

Starting with P4G would be just fine, though it might make you appreciate P3FES a bit less because of the many mechanical improvements it has over its predecessor. I wouldn't play P1 or P2 until you were invested in the series with the more modern games. I also would play P3FES over P3P for my first P3 experience, unless you can tolerate the latter's vastly regressed presentation (no anime cutscenes, lack of 3D models or in-game exploration in favor of a static, visual novel presentation...).

Persona 4 Golden is a great starting place if you don't mind that none of the other Persona games are going to be as accessible and friendly as it, ya dig?

Dantis

I don't feel like the drop from P4G to FES is that significant. Aside from party control, most of what you lose is just streamlining.

I think FES is still incredibly enjoyable today.

PK Gaming

HUGE CHESTS.

Also, the P3P teacher falls into my "Soejima has been making the female characters a lot more 'attractive' since P3P" thing. I'd never noticed it with her until now.

EDIT: I'm just going to point out that I'm aware that the pattern PK was actually talking about was that they're all teachers.
It appears we see eye to eye on this matter

Correct on both accounts

Sophia

People make a big deal about it, but yeah it's not all that significant. If you liked Persona 4 Golden, then the minor UI changes will not deter you off Persona 3 FES. Even the lack of full party control rarely turns people off on its own.

Caladrius

People make a big deal about it, but yeah it's not all that significant. If you liked Persona 4 Golden, then the minor UI changes will not deter you off Persona 3 FES. Even the lack of full party control rarely turns people off on its own.

Controllable skill inheritance is minor?

I don't feel like the drop from P4G to FES is that significant. Aside from party control, most of what you lose is just streamlining.

I think FES is still incredibly enjoyable today.

Definitely, I mean in most RPGs I barely use party control and that isn't a big loss so yeah P3 fes isn't a downgrade, it's a game that's should be praised for its time and that it's still not outdated.

Dantis

Controllable skill inheritance is minor?

Very, very minor. Much more minor than people make it out to be. I've actually heard people say that it's worth buying Golden for that change alone.

These people are insane.

It appears we see eye to eye on this matter

Correct on both accounts

Well obviously it's not the huge chests or you'd be all over Naoto in the epilogue.

AM I RIGHT OR AM I RIGHT?

Definitely, I mean in most RPGs I barely use party control and that isn't a big loss so yeah P3 fes isn't a downgrade, it's a game that's should be praised for its time and that it's still not outdated.

The interface is so impressive for it's time. It's so well done and smart.

I love lists. Lists are great.

P1: Mark and Elly
P2: Ulala and Baofu
P3: Da Man and Chihiro (SHUT UP DON'T JUDGE ME JEEZ)
P4: Kanji and Rise
Trinity Soul: Da Man

Dantis

I love lists. Lists are great.

P1: Mark and Elly
P2: Ulala and Baofu
P3: Da Man and Chihiro (SHUT UP DON'T JUDGE ME JEEZ)
P4: Kanji and Rise
Trinity Soul: Da Man

TWIST.

I'm going to do my list because why not.

P1: Maki. There were other characters in Persona 1?
P2: Maya... aaaaand.. I dunno.
P3: Yukari and Junpei
P4: Everyone except Yukiko.
P4A: LOL JK THE ANSWER IS NO ONE.
Trinity Soul: Megumi and Takuro.

EDIT: Wait, why did you say Da Man for Trinity Soul?

Levito

Banned
Golden is defiantly easier than the rest of the series. For example,
Shadow Yukiko
is a pushover in P4G, while in P4--it's a pretty fuckin' tough boss.

Though it's not as big of a jump as people are suggesting, you'll have a great time regardless. :)

Dantis

Shadow Yukiko

Though it's not as big of a jump as people are suggesting, you'll have a great time regardless. :)

I actually thought Golden was too easy. By a good margin no less.

On the other hand, I understand why they did it. Hard games have low completion rates.

Caladrius

P4G's problem is giving you a lot more options without scaling the difficulty to make up for it.

DDS proved that player-determined skillsets can still make for a challenging game. It's just making bosses varied and demanding enough to force you to take advantage of that.

Fairly minor, all things considered. Rerolling is a bit tedious, but you hardly need perfect Personas (or anything near it) to beat Persona 3. =P

True.

Though rolling for a Perfect Messiah still gives me nightmares.

As nice as it can be, it's kind of dumb.

Elucidate.

Levito

Banned
I for one am shocked to discover you disliked an aspect of Golden, Dantis. This is a revelation that would make M. Night Shyamalan blush.

Sophia

Persona 4's late game is pretty weak. After the boss fight with
Shadow Mitsuo
not much comes in the way of pre-battle strategy. In contrast, Persona 3 still has a number of Tartarus bosses where such elements are important.

Trying to fight the Jotun of Grief without a proper setup (either a Persona equipped to use break spells, or an all pierce party.) tends to end in failure. To say nothing of the bosses in The Answer.

PK Gaming

I did not pose nude with that man... Theodore Lewinski.

Someone saved that!?

That image was so supposed to represent my penchant for hot ladies :p

And DAMN right I saved it, it's probably the best piece of Teddie fanart on the internet!

Well obviously it's not the huge chests or you'd be all over Naoto in the epilogue.

AM I RIGHT OR AM I RIGHT?

Originally, I had her in the P4 slot with Kashiwagi in the P3 slot (due to her retroactive appearance in P3). I ultimately ended up switching to Ms. Kanou for the teacher theme.

Shadow Yukiko

Not easier than Persona 2:IS!

inb4 imaginary games don't count :p

Levito

Banned
Persona 4's late game is pretty weak. After the boss fight with
Shadow Mitsuo
not much comes in the way of pre-battle strategy. In contrast, Persona 3 still has a number of Tartarus bosses where such elements are important.

Friend of mine recently tried P3, ended up hating it because
Nyx
gave him so much trouble. Kept mind controlling his healer and restoring the boss's life. Was funny.

I certainly hope Persona 5 offers a fair challenge, or at least should have some scalable difficulties. There's no reason why "very hard" is also easy.

Jintor

you know, this may be some kind of personal failing, or just the old-school jrpg-ness of the games driving me away, but I really can't see what you guys see in P1 and P2. Even character stuff, all that, I find it very difficult to engage with and give a damn about anything that's happening. (Easier in P2 though).

maybe at the heart of it i'm just a P3-P4 fan and not really a persona fan. sigh

Acid08

Banned
Fav characs

P1: Elly, Maki, Nanjo, Mark, Ms. Saeko. I love the P1 cast.
P2(so far): Eikichi and Lisa
P3: Yukari, Da Man, and Koromaru
P4: Chie, Kanji, Rise, and Shu

Dantis

You really think they were concerned with that when balancing the difficulty of the game, despite having two lower difficulty levels under Normal?

Yes.

Originally, I had her in the P4 slot with Kashiwagi in the P3 slot (due to her retroactive appearance in P3). I ultimately ended up switching to Ms. Kanou for the teacher theme.
Ha!

Friend of mine recently tried P3, ended up hating it because
Nyx
gave him so much trouble. Kept mind controlling his healer and restoring the boss's life. Was funny.

I've heard of this being quite a common thing. Never happened to me personally, but I can see why it would be frustrating.

My favorite characters from Persona
P1(playing through right now): Nate's butler, Yamaoka and Elly.
P2 IS: Yukino and Eikichi
P2 EP: Baofu and Katsuya (I really love Maya a lot in both games, but thought I should also spotlight some of my other favorite characters from the games as well.)
P3: Junpei and your online friend Maya.
P4: Nanako and Kanji

arue

Trying to fight the Jotun of Grief without a proper setup (either a Persona equipped to use break spells, or an all pierce party.) tends to end in failure. To say nothing of the bosses in The Answer.

Jotun of Grief is a breeze compared to Sleeping Table, at least in FES. I just used Kartikeya's Power Charge + Myriad Arrows (didn't learn Primal Force yet), Aigis as another pierce user, and Akihiko as healer/support.

I only died once compared to 8 with Sleeping Table >.>

I didn't use Yukari because I never change my party members, no matter how hard the boss is.

I fought the Jotun of Griefing with Seth as my Persona, an Axe-wielding MC, Junpei, Mitsuru and Akihiko.

It took me 4 tries, but I didn't switch out my party or Persona at all.

Top Bottom