• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

PK Gaming

I just won a match in P4A by using Hamaon. Hamaon. I never thought that would happen.

I still suck. Almost 25 matches, only 9 wins.

Awesome drawing Arue! I drew a Black Frost when it still was Fool Week (Black Frost being my favorite Fool Persona) and now he's just lost in a limbo without weeks :(

If you're looking to improve, why not look to this site for guidance? It's a little overwhelming at first, but if you keep at it you'll get a grasp of it eventually.

Hamaon (and Mudoon) aren't all that difficult to land, so if you're having difficulty pulling them off in a match, then you should probably bone up on some Hamaon/Mudoon set ups. Here are some basic ways of comboing into Hamaon (provided the fate gauge is 0).

5AAA --> Hamaon(236236C)
Grab --> 5C follow up --> Hamaon(236236C)

ROAR MY SPEEDBOATCAR
Speaking of Persona 3, I thought I'd try out a Persona 3 Shadow for a change of pace.
tumblr_n3xqewTSUM1tt73w0o1_1280.png

Shadow Yukari.

Go here for the explanation.

Maybe you are, maybe you're not. I'd go crazy too for a game I'm so hyped about.

Never forget.

-----------
EDIT:
Worse than dead, forgotten.

I think PersonaGAF has forgotten about the character week lately. To remind yourselves, here is my drawing of Maya Amano for Protagonist Week:

I swear the amount of good fanart this group makes is crazy :O

I wish I could draw more than a stick figure lol, these are great

tl;dr: I'm crazy.

Detective Flux on the case! Well if this is true I do at least get a new training mode dummy lol

random piece of fanart (buddha posted this one in irc earlier)

You know, I never thought that when I came up with the silly idea of art weeks, that it would produce such high quality and amazing works. Well done guys, I am proud of you all!

5q2j.png

Silky

Banned
I think I've gotten very tired on comparing P3 to P4. I'm just going to accept that mechanically I find the two to be very different monsters. Thus I don't really like putting the two on some scale in terms of quality.

That being said I find myself enjoying replaying P3 compared to P4.

-

Art Week? If only my shitty cartoonings didn't shit then I'd sketch something up

Marche90

My PSN is HiLordScrambles

I suck hardcore though

Heh, relax, my fellow awful P4A player, you're not alone.

;_;

I've resigned myself to stay that way, sadly. I just lack the hand coordination and patience to learn all about a single fighting game.

I'm not online right now 'cuz supposedly I am doing homework that I'm supposed to send in 20 minutes (not even worried about that now :lol), but anyone feel free to add me. My PSN ID is in my profile.

Interesting. I played through P3 first and loved everything about it.
Don't get me wrong, I like Persona 3, and the late game stuff was absolutely worth it, but I find the pacing in the middle to be a slog, and I really don't find the battle system anywhere near as engaging with AI control.

I mean, I can't say for sure I would have dropped it, but I have a bad habit of dropping RPGs when my interest wanes at any point. Going into P3 completely cold, not knowing what it lead to... I dunno.

MSMrRound

Heh, relax, my fellow awful P4A player, you're not alone.

;_;

I brought P4A even though I suck at fighting games ._.

I'm like...mainly using auto-combos and trying to land all-out attacks in my matches. *Hides in hole of shame*

I see these terms like "2[C] > 2B > 5C > [236B~D x9] > 236A~D" and I'm like

PSN: MSMrRound if anyone wants to add me though.

Not too sure if I'm gonna spring for P4U...or wait until Atlus releases one of their "with all DLC included!" pack. They sure love them discounts.

CorvoSol

That is your opinion, and I respect that.
Let's be real though, FES is the superior product :p

I'm not really qualified to judge. I only played Portable. Which had extra characters, an additional OST, and which provided an endearing look at the cast through bonus Social Links. If all of this could be combined with FES' presentation levels that'd be a really great game there.

I'm not really qualified to judge. I only played Portable. Which had extra characters, an additional OST, and which provided an endearing look at the cast through bonus Social Links. If all of this could be combined with FES' presentation levels that'd be a really great game there.

yea but it is at the cost of a number of missing features and scenes and such, and P3P is missing my favorite part of P3FES, so obviously its a major downgrade for me!

MSMrRound

P3P's lack of cutscenes tips me towards P3FES.

I remember knowing nothing about the Persona series, going into it blind (picked up the PS2 classic as people were raving about it and I wanted to find out what the fuss was about)

Saw the opening scene of Yukari trying to put a bullet into her head and I was like...whaaat?

Then Lotus Juice's P3FES opening kicked in and it was sooooo good.

Wouldn't be quite the same if those cutscenes etc were omitted.

arue

I played P3P first and then FES. I didn't like FES's gameplay at first, especially when you have to talk to each character to change their equipment, shops are not open at night, you can't check persona's skills when fusing, and of course, the AI party.

But then, I eventually got used to the AI and kinda missed it after I beat FES.

Don't get me wrong, I like Persona 3, and the late game stuff was absolutely worth it, but I find the pacing in the middle to be a slog, and I really don't find the battle system anywhere near as engaging with AI control.

I mean, I can't say for sure I would have dropped it, but I have a bad habit of dropping RPGs when my interest wanes at any point. Going into P3 completely cold, not knowing what it lead to... I dunno.

Yeah, I understand. It's the same for me. Its been around a week since I last touched Persona 2 EP.

Persona 3 Platinum.

#Believe.

PK Gaming

I brought P4A even though I suck at fighting games ._.

I'm like...mainly using auto-combos and trying to land all-out attacks in my matches. *Hides in hole of shame*

I see these terms like "2[C] > 2B > 5C > [236B~D x9] > 236A~D" and I'm like

PSN: MSMrRound if anyone wants to add me though.

Not too sure if I'm gonna spring for P4U...or wait until Atlus releases one of their "with all DLC included!" pack. They sure love them discounts.

It's never too late to learn

Standard notation:
A - light attack
B - heavy attack
C- light attack (Persona)
D - heavy attack (Persona)

The number notation refers to the direction on the pad.
7 [8] 9
[4 5 6] (pretend that this is the PS3/360 direction pad)
1 [2] 3

So for example, let's say you wanted to use 2A. You would have to press A (the light attack) and down on the direction pad. If you wanted to use 5D, you would simple have to press D (the heavy Persona attack) and no direction. The Naoto wiki in particular has a legend that explains some of the notation choices.

EX: 2[C] = Hold both down and the C button to perform a slower thrice hitting version of 2C.

Remember, if combos look complicated, try to break them down into chunks.

Sophia

Numbers to symbolize stick movements has always been foreign to me. I just say the directions.

Assuming you have a full sized keyboard, then just look at the numpad for reference. Should be arrows on them. It'll quickly become second nature.

I remember a few years ago I memorized number notation for the capcom JoJo's game. Back then I'd never expect to be using the notation more than that, then I learn VSav and games by ASW just roll with it too lol. Then again I never played fighters on a deep-ish level then so of course I'd never have guessed.

hao chi

Hah. Yosuke 100 yen.

Thanks PK! Guess I'll need to experiment a bit...

When in doubt, use Yu. Dude can combo into his sweep off nearly anything, then you use 5D~D* to set up Izanami for oki**, and then use 214A (an overhead) and his sweep or 214C (or D) (lows) to try to get a hit in.

You can have a surprisingly effective Yu without really knowing any difficult combos since he can get decent to good damage easily, allowing you to focus on learning the spacing and mind games aspect of the game.

*The '~' indicates you press D again to make Izanami do an extra attack.
**Oki is pressuring your opponent when they're waking up so they're forced to block.

Top Bottom