• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

PK Gaming

My pic for fool/protag/whatever week.

fanart_002_aigisblue_v10_3000px.jpg

EwTf1OC.jpg

Magnificent

Just beat The Answer. Wasn't a big fan, but the story is pretty good near the end.

The explanation for what happened to the protagonist is something I think should have at least been alluded to in The Journey. Now it makes sense, but his death in The Journey feels frustratingly arbitrary. He dies for thematic reasons, not any clear logical reason. He dies because he uses Great Seal, and Great Seal kills him because it just does. The Answer I feel shouldn't be necessary to understand it, but that's just my feelings on the matter.

The hardest single boss fight I think was the one against Junpei and Koromaru. Just happened to have a Persona that pretty much completely blocked out Ken and Akihiko, and Yukari and Mitsuru disappointed me. That whole story sequence of the coliseum was frustratingly contrived, but I think the scene at the end of it where Yukari breaks down made it worth it. Genuinely pretty heartbreaking.

One unusual thing about The Answer that I really liked is that you are given no real choices. Why did I like this? Because I like how it contrasted from playing as "yourself" in The Journey to playing as a properly defined character in The Answer. You don't get to decide what Aigis decides, because Aigis makes her own decisions. Thematically it felt very right.

And one last thing--why do the animated scenes consistently get Yukari's hair wrong?

Alright, P3 is now properly behind me.

Just beat The Answer. Wasn't a big fan, but the story is pretty good near the end.

The explanation for what happened to the protagonist is something I think should have at least been alluded to in The Journey. Now it makes sense, but his death in The Journey feels frustratingly arbitrary. He dies for thematic reasons, not any clear logical reason. He dies because he uses Great Seal, and Great Seal kills him because it just does. The Answer I feel shouldn't be necessary to understand it, but that's just my feelings on the matter.

The hardest single boss fight I think was the one against Junpei and Koromaru. Just happened to have a Persona that pretty much completely blocked out Ken and Akihiko, and Yukari and Mitsuru disappointed me. That whole story sequence of the coliseum was frustratingly contrived, but I think the scene at the end of it where Yukari breaks down made it worth it. Genuinely pretty heartbreaking.

One unusual thing about The Answer that I really liked is that you are given no real choices. Why did I like this? Because I like how it contrasted from playing as "yourself" in The Journey to playing as a properly defined character in The Answer. You don't get to decide what Aigis decides, because Aigis makes her own decisions. Thematically it felt very right.

And one last thing--why do the animated scenes consistently get Yukari's hair wrong?

It's never going to be behind you.
You're here forever~

Andrefpvs

Cool, now you can play Arena and actually understand the story :D (You already played P4, right?)

Watching those car drawings, I always have question something maybe this community can resolve.
Why are there like one art piece for each character of Persona 4, like if Soejima tried to make them more like Kaneko's art than his? Like the shadowing and coloring.
I mean this:

Maybe those ones where done by Kaneko?

I saw your Scooby Doo pics in the other thread, freakin' awesome stuff. Love Scooby-fied Teddie.

Thanks a bunch! :D
Finishing now a non Persona one for that thread also (F-Zero mix with Wacky Races), that thread has been a lot of fun. Hope I can make more Persona art in the future (im trying to draw better just now) and post them in this thread.

Caladrius

Watching those car drawings, I always have question something maybe this community can resolve.
Why are there like one art piece for each character of Persona 4, like if Soejima tried to make them more like Kaneko's art than his? Like the shadowing and coloring.
I mean this:

Soejima used a different shading style for those illustrations. If you inspect the line work it'll be more apparent. Persona 3 had them as well.

My pic for fool/protag/whatever week.
Higher res.

Wunderbar !

Sophia

I mean this:

Those are just in the same style he used for Persona 3 and Stella Deus, from the looks of it.

Soejima used a different shading style for those illustrations. If you inspect the line work it'll be more apparent. Persona 3 had them as well.

Wunderbar !

Those are just in the same style he used for Persona 3 and Stella Deus, from the looks of it.

Oh yeah, he uses also that style in some of the art of P3, but feels strange that it's so distant to the actual rest of art in the games. I actually prefer the game art, but I suppose theres people who like more the one he uses there. As I said the shadowing is something similar to Kaneko's art (and the coloring, with skin colors in whites instead of more flesh color), so maybe he does them as a tribute to him?

EDIT Seems stella deus actually uses that type of art inside of the game.

arue

I mean this:

I don't think he is trying to copy Kaneko's style. Soejima's style has been like that before he even draw for P3/P4 (see Stella Deus).

But when you think about it, maybe Kaneko chose Soejima for his successor because their coloring style is similar.

Acid08

Banned
What's everyone's favorite Soejima art(for Persona) in that style?

Yuka-tan will always be mine. Was one of the first images I saw of P3 and was a big part of why I decided to first pick that game up. Love the design, facial expression, and pose. Just oozes with style and attitude.

Gazoinks

Yuka-tan will always be mine. Was one of the first images I saw of P3 and was a big part of why I decided to first pick that game up. Love the design, facial expression, and pose. Just oozes with style and attitude.

Yucatan's definitely good. I also like Teddie's, nice to see him drawn to look furry.

kewlmyc

Character design art only or can any of his Persona promotional art work as well?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, ate a lot of Life Beads (30% HP gain from Max HP) in Shadow Kanji's Battle and a few close-calls and having to revive. But Seta and Yukiko pulled off medium Fire/Ice (Agilao, Bufula) with Kanji thankfully doing Spirit Drains instead of attacking with that scary thunder attack of his.

Though it's funny, people say to take the Nice Guy (on the left) out first before the Tough Guy but taking the Tough Guy out with Aiglao's from Yukiko and Seta dropping him with an Agi from Sarasvati) did more good. Plus having Chie Rampage her way through them 1/3x for light physical damage when they walled up helped. Right after the Tough Guy the Nice Guy went out with a physical attack from Enraged Yukiko.

Glad that's over with though. Now I can Kawan Victory Cry tomorrow after I get out of the dungeon and Burn My Dread while saving my money from the fox. :D

(Hard mode is actually refreshing in the Golden. First time I've had to use items and worry about deaths in boss fights)

PK Gaming

This design does a good job at conveying a neutral protagonist, with a slightly cool edge to him. I also really dig the open jacket/MP3/headphone combo.

That drawing is practically synonymous with Persona 3 for me.

I disagree that the P3 protagonist is "neutral." I don't think he's neutral enough. The bangs, posture, and headphones all paint a pretty clear character picture, one that is inconsistent with a proper neutral player analogue. 4's I think does a better job of this--his design makes him seem "difficult to read," allowing you to basically read what you want into him. I don't get that with 3's protagonist.

Sophia

All the P3 character art is awesome. All the P4 character art is too.

None of them compare to the full-sized version of my avatar however. :D

arue

P3MC's design looks meh to me when I first saw him, but he ended up to be my most favorite character. (Don't judge a book by its cover lol)

Meanwhile, Aigis definitely has the best design and coloring, especially the one in Soejima artbook cover.

PK Gaming

I disagree that the P3 protagonist is "neutral." I don't think he's neutral enough. The bangs, posture, and headphones all paint a pretty clear character picture, one that is inconsistent with a proper neutral player analogue. 4's I think does a better job of this--his design makes him seem "difficult to read," allowing you to basically read what you want into him. I don't get that with 3's protagonist.

According to the design work, the intention was to make him look as neutral as possible. I think it works, considering the nature of the game, in addition to his backstory.

Though I can see why you'd say that, given his slouched posture and withdrawn expression (especially when he's listening to music). It's something they use to their advantage in the Persona 3 movie.

According to the design work, the intention was to make him look as neutral as possible. I think it works, considering the nature of the game, in addition to his backstory.

Though I can see why you'd say that, given his slouched posture and withdrawn expression (especially when he's listening to music). It's something they use to their advantage in the Persona 3 movie.

I'm actually having a difficult time imagining the P3MC with Akira Ishida's voice. I don't have the most extensive knowledge of anime but from what I know he usually voices pretty arrogant characters.

Soma

This also reminded me that I had a hard time with Daisuke Namikawa voicing Yu in the P4 anime because I was watching Fate/Zero at the same time and every time he spoke all I could think of was Waver from F/Z.

It was kinda funny.

This design does a good job at conveying a neutral protagonist, with a slightly cool edge to him. I also really dig the open jacket/MP3/headphone combo.

That drawing is practically synonymous with Persona 3 for me.

Yukari's got a great promo image, but I really dig Mitsuru's, too.

The posing is great, it really sells that slightly imperious quality to Mitsuru.

While I like the images of that style for P3 quite a bit, these two are probably my favorites of the bunch.

Top Bottom