• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Gazoinks

Following up from the Shadow Saki and Shadow Yamano pictures I did in the past couple of days, now I'm going into the area of strictly for fun hypothetical shadows that have no real basis in the game for existing.

So here's Shadow Morooka:
Y9oKpdi.png

I apologize if you planned on sleeping tonight.

So I somehow got unsubscribed from this thread. I refind it, head back in and am confronted by this. Bravo PGAF.

CorvoSol

Even my low-clocked laptop can handle the Persona games (though with some frame drops, 1.4 ghz haswell processor, integrated graphics), you'll be fine

Well I don't know what to say, because at 2.3 ghz or whatever I've got here my laptop cannot handle P3 at all. The anime cutscenes are jaggy as hell, the framerate in conversations dips below 30 and cycles back up ad nauseum and it crashes before I ever reach a save point.

Following up from the Shadow Saki and Shadow Yamano pictures I did in the past couple of days, now I'm going into the area of strictly for fun hypothetical shadows that have no real basis in the game for existing.

Y9oKpdi.png

I love how he looks like he's making a "DAT ASS" face.

I stand by my comments. Theo is uncomfortably attractive.

IN WEST GAIJINLAND, BORN AND RAISED
AT HOME WHERE I'D SPEND MOST OF MY DAYS
CHILLIN OUT WITH MY WAIFU, ALL SMOOTH
AND WATCHING SOME ANIME CUZ ITS COOL
WHEN A COUPLE OF BULLIES WHO WERE UP TO NO GOOD
STARTED MAKING JOKES ABOUT MY WAIFU, DUDE.
I LOST ONE "SMALL FIGHT" AND MY MOM GOT SCARED
SHE SAID "YOU'RE MOVING TO YOUR UNCLE'S IN INABA, JAPAN."

Check it out, my Japanese-American version of Yu is canon in more heads than mine alone!

Acid08

Banned
So Acid said 23 is underpowered for Rise's dungeon.

He suggested I get to about 30 and fuse personas until I get one ekgh some skill that does a decent amount of damage but is none elemental?

1) How do I get this attack? (Megido - reminds me of Megid from PSO. :p)
2) What persona resistance is best for Rise's dungeon?
3) What's the best way to level? I beat Contrarian King. The second boss of Kanji's dungeon roflstomped me at my level. I'm even struggling with some shadows in Rise's dungeon. I found Yosuke's hidden weapon in his old "dungeon" too, but I don't use him. How do I find a hidden thingy (weapon) for Chie? She just takes me to Yukiko's castle when I speak to her.

Thanks!
Above 30 would be even better.

And give this guy Persona suggestions! I don't even remember what I used until I got Black Frost.

Marche90

I love that game! Which chatracter is it? I loved pretty much all of them, but some of them were kinda anonymous and I even kinda forgot about them at all.

Someone said Dangan Ronpa?

*Insert image of Teddie whistling here*
couldn't find the image :(

Well I don't know what to say, because at 2.3 ghz or whatever I've got here my laptop cannot handle P3 at all. The anime cutscenes are jaggy as hell, the framerate in conversations dips below 30 and cycles back up ad nauseum and it crashes before I ever reach a save point.

Have you tried with the latest version (1.2.0 atm) and using the speed hacks? Jaggies... not much you can do about that, since higher resolutions do crap out the framerate. I get full speed, but the caveat here is that I can't increase the resolution, thus I'm locked on native res. Also depends on what kind of processor/graphics card do you have. Core 2 Duo, perhaps?

CorvoSol

*Insert image of Teddie whistling here*
couldn't find the image :(

Have you tried with the latest version (1.2.0 atm) and using the speed hacks? Jaggies... not much you can do about that, since higher resolutions do crap out the framerate. I get full speed, but the caveat here is that I can't increase the resolution, thus I'm locked on native res. Also depends on what kind of processor/graphics card do you have. Core 2 Duo, perhaps?

Hold on, I'll go look at the specs I found on my laptop, but I don't have any special card installed, just whatever came with my Dell I got last year. Also by jaggy I meant janky. The resolution I would gladly sacrifice for a stable frame rate.

Intel Core i3-2350M CPU @2.30GHz
64 bit OS
6GB RAM
Windows 8.1

Intel HD Graphics 3000

PK Gaming

Y9oKpdi.png

NICE! You couldn't have picked a more fitting concept.

I also really dig those shadow-girl poses.

CorvoSol

Actually, Mamba, the only change I might make to any of your Shadow pictures is making Saki's knife into a liquor bottle as a nod to her crap father.

Moonlight

Banned

Y9oKpdi.png

This is probably my favourite one yet. Love the concept, and it's near perfectly executed.

You think you could tackle Ai or something at some point? Always been interested in what hers would look like.

Setsu00

Any help with translation is appreciated. I've mostly focused on documenting the Shadows and new characters, but the more comprehensive the pastebin the better.

I took a look at Yu first and translated his win quotes for Chie, Yukiko, Teddie, Mitsuru, Labrys and Elizabeth.

Yu Narukami
VS. Chie Satonaka:
"You seem to have embraced the power to protect others."

VS. Yukiko Amagi:
"Your elegance made this once again a hard fight, Amagi."

VS. Teddie:
"Have you gotten stronger? At this rate, you won't need your sensei anymore."

VS. Mitsuru Kirijo:
"Huh.. I beat you without getting executed." [UNCLEAR]

VS. Labrys:
"You've found a path you want to follow, haven't you? I could feel your determination."

VS. Elizabeth:
"She really is a mysterious person... It's like she's looking into the depths of my heart."

Annotations:
- The line for Mitsuru was hard to translate and I assume that it's wrong.
- The past bin erroneously lists the VS. Elizabeth quote as the quote for Labrys.
- Lastly, I'm German, so these translations might sound iffy to you. Sorry about that.

NICE! You couldn't have picked a more fitting concept.

I also really dig those shadow-girl poses.
Thanks. I actually had an earlier version where the shadow girls had the hair of Rise, Chie, and Yukiko, but I decided against it because it felt too icky and it distracted too much from King Moron himself.

Actually, Mamba, the only change I might make to any of your Shadow pictures is making Saki's knife into a liquor bottle as a nod to her crap father.
Hm, that hadn't occurred to me. I like the knife as a call to the backstabbing side I was going for, but the Inferno symbolism was probably enough on that end.

You think you could tackle Ai or something at some point? Always been interested in what hers would look like.
I don't know who I'm doing next, though I'll definitely be doing Ai at some point. I have some vivid ideas for some (Ai included), but I kind of want to do Dojima next. Except I can't think of anything satisfactory for him yet. Maybe I'll do him later and Ai next? Hm.

FluxWaveZ

I took a look at Yu first and translated his win quotes for Chie, Yukiko, Teddie, Mitsuru, Labrys and Elizabeth.

VS. Labrys:
"You've found a path you want to follow, haven't you? I could feel your determination."

Wait a sec, why does this one differ significantly from the one in the pastebin?
vs. Labrys:
"As I expected, she's a mysterious one. It's like I'm looking into the depths of her soul..."

Almost sounds like the vs. Elizabeth one. Some confusion going on?

Edit: Oh wait, sorry, I didn't read your annotation.

Sophia

Wait a sec, why does this one differ significantly from the one in the pastebin?

Almost sounds like the vs. Elizabeth one. Some confusion going on?

Someone goofed. The one in the pastebin is mislabeled as Labrys and it's actually against Elizabeth. Setsu's translation is a bit more accurate too, given the context of who is being talked about.

Shadow Dojima should have its lower half pinned beneath some sort of demonic car to represent the inescapable guilt he feels over his inability to bring the person who killed his wife in a hit-and-run to justice.

It could also be wearing a blindfold indicating his frustration with the case at hand, and also the fact that
the real culprit was right under his nose the whole time.

Shadow Dojima should have its lower half pinned beneath some sort of demonic car to represent the inescapable guilt he feels over his inability to bring the person who killed his wife in a hit-and-run to justice.

It could also be wearing a blindfold indicating his frustration with the case at hand, and also the fact that
the real culprit was right under his nose the whole time.
Hm, the car angle might not be a bad idea, but I don't know if it's Dojima that would be under the car.

I think the absolute central idea to Dojima's shadow is his relationship with Nanako. And that is hard stuff. I think I'll do someone easier first and let Dojima stew for a bit.

Marche90

Hold on, I'll go look at the specs I found on my laptop, but I don't have any special card installed, just whatever came with my Dell I got last year. Also by jaggy I meant janky. The resolution I would gladly sacrifice for a stable frame rate.

Intel Core i3-2350M CPU @2.30GHz
64 bit OS
6GB RAM
Windows 8.1

Intel HD Graphics 3000

Yours should run better than mine (my specs are somewhat lower, a Celeron 2995u @ 1.4 GHz, Intel HD graphics and 2 gb of RAM), so it's weird. Download the latest version, mess around with the speed hacks and try to set the GSdx plugin options to DirectX11 and resolution to native to see if that improves things. Now that I mention it, some places, like the Iwatodai Strip Mall, crashes the emulator with the DirectX9 renderer, so that might be why the emu crashed. Either DirectX11 or Software rendering should fix the crashing issue.

If nothing else works, I'll screenshot my settings so you can see my setup and use it as a base for yours

CorvoSol

Yours should run better than mine (my specs are somewhat lower, a Celeron 2995u @ 1.4 GHz, Intel HD graphics and 2 gb of RAM), so it's weird. Download the latest version, mess around with the speed hacks and try to set the GSdx plugin options to DirectX11 and resolution to native to see if that improves things. Now that I mention it, some places, like the Iwatodai Strip Mall, crashes the emulator with the DirectX9 renderer, so that might be why the emu crashed. Either DirectX11 or Software rendering should fix the crashing issue.

If nothing else works, I'll screenshot my settings so you can see my setup and use it as a base for yours

I'll give 'er a whirl, then, 'cuz I can't get through the opening without the game crashing, let alone expecting a solid framerate.

Been watching the P4 anime, Kanji joines and Yosuke goes "Sweet we could use some brawn on the team!" Uh, hello Yosuke, did you forget Chie "Kicks more ass than Yosuke" Satonaka?

EMT0

Banned

Y9oKpdi.png

Best work yet; while I never liked Morooka at all and was glad he didn't stick around very long, this kinda makes me wish we'd seen how a Shadow for him would have turned out.

Acid08

Banned
Just watched the first episode of of P4 Animation. It seems okay. Narukami's awakening scene was pretty awesome. Everyone seems a bit too hyper kinetic though. Kind of disappointing I can't watch the dub on the Hulu+ app.

Also the theme is awesome.

CorvoSol

Just watched the first episode of of P4 Animation. It seems okay. Narukami's awakening scene was pretty awesome. Everyone seems a bit too hyper kinetic though. Kind of disappointing I can't watch the dub on the Hulu+ app.

So in terms of P4 OPs this is blasphemy but . . .

P4G > P4TA > P4

Sophia

The animation quality in the P4 anime is so inconsistent. Some scenes look really good, others look downright awful.

Sophia

On that note, even when animated properly Morooka doesn't look anything like his ingame portrait. The anime design is just way off for him.

Sophia

Hot.

I've never seen the P4 anime. How faithful is it to the game?

While on the topic of movies, any news on part one of the P3 movie being localized?

In terms of material, it more or less covers the game faithfully. In terms of production values, it's a complete mess. Poor directing, inconsistent animation quality, and it can't decide on the emphasis for a scene.

It's not awful per se. As far as adaptations go there have been worse, and this one is certainly watchable. There are a handful of good episodes and scenes. It's just remarkably average and relying on the source material to hold it up.

Gazoinks

In terms of material, it more or less covers the game faithfully. In terms of production values, it's a complete mess. Poor directing, inconsistent animation quality, and it can't decide on the emphasis for a scene.

It's not awful per se. As far as adaptations go there have been worse, and this one is certainly watchable. There are a handful of good episodes and scenes. It's just remarkably average and relying on the source material to hold it up.

Yup. I've said this many times by now, but it's overall fairly mediocre. However! It's enjoyable if you're a big fan of the game, it has some very good moments, and they did a surprisingly good job with Yu's character.

Acid08

Banned
I am enjoying seeing Yosuke get choked out by Chie's shadow right now *shrug*

But really, the fights have been pretty cool so far. Using the game music is cool too.

I also really like how they used the "I think I'm going to cry" line when Teddie bit Charlie through the TV.

EMT0

Banned
Guys, I've been thinking, and this is the result of it...

Persona Community Thread|OT5| The Mods Don't Trust Us To Name Our Own Threads Anymore After Smed Incidents 1, 2, 3, etc.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

2fr6PwZ.jpg

How to make it awesomer.

Sophia

How to make it awesomer.

That image has better quality than the actual scene in the anime. >_>;

Aww the episode where they fight Yukiko's shadow was really good. I loved the extra back story.

Yeah, this is what I meant by a handful of good scenes. Every so often you get something where they actually improved upon the game, but it's not so fun to watch each episode back to back. You start noticing where the poor directing comes in.

Marche90

I watched the clip of the
shadow Naoto
fight a while back and it seemed bad.

The way it ended, mostly. In general, the Animation is a mixed bag, but it could be worse. At least is not Devil Survivor 2 The Animation bad.

God dammit Kishi. I kinda dislike the director for wrecking a few adaptations lol

Top Bottom