• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

2fr6PwZ.jpg

How to make it awesomer.

Or not.

Sophia

So is there a story as to why the animation looks like such crap?

Director sucks. Animators were having production issues. Rumors of higher up bullying lower staff. A few animators actually asked that their names be removed from Episode 2 due to how poor some scenes are.

Persona 4 Anime is not bad, but not good either, it just okay in my opinion. I enjoyed it for what it was. I'll say it's one of the better Megami Tensei adaptations out there. Though to be honest, you know what would have been awesome, is if they went through with that Persona 2 Anime Trailer, and made a full anime series of the two games. I would watch it.

Sophia

Persona 4 Anime is not bad, but not good either, it just okay in my opinion. I enjoyed it for what it was. I'll say it's one of the better Megami Tensei adaptations out there. Though to be honest, you know what would have been awesome, is if they went through with that Persona 2 Anime Trailer, and made a full anime series of the two games. I would watch and I know a certain someone here who would too.

We will never get a Persona 2 anime. Too many of the actors are retired or deceased. :<

Gazoinks

Persona 4 Anime is not bad, but not good either, it just okay in my opinion. I enjoyed it for what it was. I'll say it's one of the better Megami Tensei adaptations out there. Though to be honest, you know what would have been awesome, is if they went through with that Persona 2 Anime Trailer, and made a full anime series of the two games. I would watch and I know a certain someone here who would.

Persona 2 really feels like a 90s anime OVA in a lot of ways (so does Soul Hackers), would've been pretty awesome. >.>

Shame MegaTen never got a really good anime.

In terms of material, it more or less covers the game faithfully. In terms of production values, it's a complete mess. Poor directing, inconsistent animation quality, and it can't decide on the emphasis for a scene.

It's not awful per se. As far as adaptations go there have been worse, and this one is certainly watchable. There are a handful of good episodes and scenes. It's just remarkably average and relying on the source material to hold it up.

Hmm, alright, maybe I'll give it a shot, as long as it doesn't get too fanservice-y I'll probably find it inoffensive. It's hard to find good anime based on video games. Either that, or I'm not looking hard enough.

Gazoinks

Hmm, alright, maybe I'll give it a shot, as long as it doesn't get too fanservice-y I'll probably find it inoffensive. It's hard to find good anime based on video games. Either that, or I'm not looking hard enough.

Video game adaptations tend to suck, yeah. Unless you count visual novels, but that's kind of different.

We will never get a Persona 2 anime. Too many of the actors are retired or deceased. :<
TBH, couldn't they just hire new actors. Because to be honest I have never understood why the dropped Igor when his VA passed away, I guess out of respect, but really over here when a characters VA passes or retires they get a new actor to replace, dunno it's just sounds silly to me I guess. I have nothing but respect for him. But I'm just saying that because this has happened with other famous voice actors before. And there is always someone to take over the role, and possibly improve upon it.

Marche90

Video game adaptations tend to suck, yeah. Unless you count visual novels, but that's kind of different.

And even then, most of them fall into the bad side of the spectrum. There are some exceptions to this, obviously (The Steins;Gate anime, for example), but normally I wouldn't count on it being good.

I don't like the P4 OP as much. The Shadow World is my jam, though.

haha I HATED Shadow World when I first started playing, but it wasn't long before I started singing along. For me it goes:

Key Plus Words>Sky's the Limit>Shadow World= Pursuing my Ture Self.

They actual animation may have been pretty crap aside from a few episodes, but damn if it didn't have amazing openings.

Gazoinks

Would you believe that's one of the more on-model shots of Kanji so far?

I've seen the show. So yes. :p

And even then, most of them fall into the bad side of the spectrum. There are some exceptions to this, obviously, but normally I wouldn't count on it being good.

Yeah. I mean, the majority of any medium is going to be bad, and when you add in adaptation decay, the chances decrease even further. At least we'll always have Steins;Gate (although people tell me the VN is better :p).

Sophia

TBH, couldn't they just hire new actors. Because to be honest I have never understood why the dropped Igor when his VA passed away, I guess out of respect, but really over here when a characters VA passes or retires they get a new actor to replace, dunno it's just sounds silly to me I guess.

It's somewhat of an honor thing. They're not entirely against replacing actors, but usually they only do it as a last resort. The exception being if the actor had people planned to replace them.

A detail that tends to go unnoticed by English players: Takeharu Kirijo, Mitsuru's father, actually had his actor change between vanilla P3 and FES/Portable. The original actor, K&#333;ji Totani, passed away. Persona 3 was one of his final roles. Yasunori Masutani took up his role for FES/P3P.

FluxWaveZ

Btw an recent interview of Perona Magazine was just translated.

I feel that in today's world, there's no shortage of people that are bored and discontent with their lives. They're at a dead end, chained down to a world of which they resent being a part. Persona 5, in that sense, is a game about freedom, the kind that those sorts of people haven't had living in the real world.

Man, that's some exciting stuff, despite how vague it is. Sounds like P5 won't rely as much on the "power of friendship" stuff as P3 and P4, either. Might be the Persona game that speaks to me the most.

Acid08

Banned
Man, that's some exciting stuff, despite how vague it is. Sounds like P5 won't rely as much on the "power of friendship" stuff as P3 and P4, either. Might be the Persona game that speaks to me the most.
That sounds awesome. I wonder if it'll translate into the game being structured to give the player more freedom with time management.

Honestly, I'm really not expecting any huge changes to the formula with P5.

Posting again for new page:

So Acid said 23 is underpowered for Rise's dungeon.

He suggested I get to about 30 and fuse personas until I get one ekgh some skill that does a decent amount of damage but is none elemental?

1) How do I get this attack? (Megido - reminds me of Megid from PSO. :p)
2) What persona resistance is best for Rise's dungeon?
3) What's the best way to level? I beat Contrarian King. The second boss of Kanji's dungeon roflstomped me at my level. I'm even struggling with some shadows in Rise's dungeon. I found Yosuke's hidden weapon in his old "dungeon" too, but I don't use him. How do I find a hidden thingy (weapon) for Chie? She just takes me to Yukiko's castle when I speak to her.

Thanks!

CorvoSol

Why did they change Yukiko to Empress?

Technically they didn't. If you look at Margaret's book right after she says that, you can clearly see that both the symbol and the words read "Priestess". Dub got it wrong, just like picking up Yu at the airport.

Gazoinks

Ooh, this sounds really interesting. I hope the theory about the "You want emancipation" line being from the villain is true. Actually, this could tie into the internet and social media like we were theorizing way back. Escapism and such. The use of "real world" is interesting. Might be similar to the TV World where people go to some alternate escapist world that's actually evil and the protags have to rescue them. Maybe P5 is an MMO! xP

FluxWaveZ

That sounds awesome. I wonder if it'll translate into the game being structured to give the player more freedom with time management.

Honestly, I'm really not expecting any huge changes to the formula with P5.

Same interview says that they've intentionally made the game similar to P3 and P4 to accommodate players who are used to that style so, yeah, I wouldn't expect huge leaps to the core formula.

However, the freedom it talks about I think is purely in terms of thematic. Hashino mentions how the "freedom" depicted in P3/P4 consisted of how bonds enables one to accomplish more and experience more than they would be able to alone. P5 is the different kind of freedom discussed in that quote and elsewhere in the interview.

PK Gaming

Sounds like
Adachi
(p4 spoilers) could have a used a game like that.

Pretty excited, I wonder if they can live up to the hype.

FluxWaveZ

Ooh, this sounds really interesting. I hope the theory about the "You want emancipation" line being from the villain is true. Actually, this could tie into the internet and social media like we were theorizing way back. Escapism and such. The use of "real world" is interesting. Might be similar to the TV World where people go to some alternate escapist world that's actually evil and the protags have to rescue them. Maybe P5 is an MMO! xP

Actually, when it mentions "real world", I'm pretty sure Hashino's talking about the real, real world, as in the players who are going to play Persona 5. He wants to make a game who will speak to those people who are dissatisfied with their lives or feel chained down.

Gazoinks

Actually, when it mentions "real world", I'm pretty sure Hashino's talking about the real, real world, as in the players who are going to play Persona 5. He wants to make a game who will speak to those people who are dissatisfied with their lives or feel chained down.

Ooh, yeah, that probably makes more sense. Still very cool though. Come oooon more info. :p

Sophia

1) How do I get this attack? (Megido - reminds me of Megid from PSO. :p)
2) What persona resistance is best for Rise's dungeon?
3) What's the best way to level? I beat Contrarian King. The second boss of Kanji's dungeon roflstomped me at my level. I'm even struggling with some shadows in Rise's dungeon. I found Yosuke's hidden weapon in his old "dungeon" too, but I don't use him. How do I find a hidden thingy (weapon) for Chie? She just takes me to Yukiko's castle when I speak to her.

1) Going off a vanilla P4 list, there are only three Personas with Megido naturally: Thoth, Samael, and Tao Tie. All of which are slightly above your level. You could potentially get lucky in Shuffle Time however. I'm not sure if any new ones were added for Golden.

2) For the dungeon itself? No specific resistance. However there are enemies with instant kill attacks (Hama/Light) and enemies that are hard heavy hitters. So high endurace, resist physical, and resist light are all things to keep in mind. For the boss?
Ice resistance.

3) You're not terribly underlelved. Level 25 is about what you want to be starting Rise's dungeon. As long as you're not deliberately running away from each encounter you should be close to 30 by the time you're ready to fight the boss. The dungeon bosses are 33 and 35, so if you're within five levels of it you're fine. As for Chie, she doesn't have a hidden weapon like the others.

Margaret said "You have gained the power of the Empress Persona" when talking about the link with Yukiko. Maybe the sub is fucked up? I'm watching it on Hulu.

It's no doubt a sub error. I'll check the episode right now. Yeah it's an error. She says "Joky&#333;k&#333;" which is "Priestess." Not sure how the subbers made a mistake like that.

Top Bottom