• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

FluxWaveZ

Really? Guess I haven't gotten to that part yet.

I don't remember that. Unless it was in a request I missed.

Liz sings it sometimes when she wins a match in P4A, but I might totally be wrong about it originating from P3. For some reason, I thought it actually did come from one of her requests, but it might be P4A and the anime messing with me.

Elizabeth Dates. Specifically at the school if you're in the music club.

Alright, so I probably did remember correctly. That's why the reappearance of that song was so endearing.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Hi! I'm the one who translated that interview with Hashino. I'm happy to see people are enjoying reading it, especially since I have basically next to no graphic design chops when doing these sorts of magazine translations and just hope that my font choices and graphic editing work aren't too terribly hideous. (Seriously, if somebody knows what they're doing on that stuff, fonts especially, I'd love to hear ideas on what works well in a magazine format for future work!)

Anyway, Flux is correct in that Hashino is referring to actual, living people when talking about the real world. If I were to read between the lines, I think he and the rest of the team might be trying to develop a cathartic game that addresses Japanese social issues like people being "herbivorous" in their human relationships and whatnot, but that's just my theory personally. Given the series' knack for having alternate reality stuff, I maybe could have tried to make that a little clearer, but yeah. I think or at least hope the translation mostly speaks for itself, but if I can provide any further clarification on what Hashino said in Japanese, I'd be happy to do so.

Lunar15

Anyway, Flux is correct in that Hashino is referring to actual, living people when talking about the real world. If I were to read between the lines, I think he and the rest of the team might be trying to develop a cathartic game that addresses Japanese social issues like people being "herbivorous" in their human relationships and whatnot.

Hashino specifically mentioned "herbivore men" in his inspiration for Catherine. I don't think he'd do the same exact theme over again, but it certainly seems like it's along the same lines.

Either way, it sounds like he's got a clear vision, and that's one of my favorite things about the persona series.

FluxWaveZ

Hi! I'm the one who translated that interview with Hashino. I'm happy to see people are enjoying reading it, especially since I have basically next to no graphic design chops when doing these sorts of magazine translations and just hope that my font choices and graphic editing work aren't too terribly hideous. (Seriously, if somebody knows what they're doing on that stuff, fonts especially, I'd love to hear ideas on what works well in a magazine format for future work!)

Anyway, Flux is correct in that Hashino is referring to actual, living people when talking about the real world. If I were to read between the lines, I think he and the rest of the team might be trying to develop a cathartic game that addresses Japanese social issues like people being "herbivorous" in their human relationships and whatnot, but that's just my theory personally. Given the series' knack for having alternate reality stuff, I maybe could have tried to make that a little clearer, but yeah. I think or at least hope the translation mostly speaks for itself, but if I can provide any further clarification on what Hashino said in Japanese, I'd be happy to do so.

You did excellent work on making the translated pages look as though they were from an actual English magazine despite not having a background in graphic design, so thumbs up!

And yeah, something like that is what I was also thinking of when I read it. Your mention of herbivorous men makes me think of Vincent from Catherine, and how he was essentially chained to his relationship(s) until he has the catharsis of freedom at the end of the game, depending on the choices the player makes.

Actually, apparently it's in a different place in Persona 3 FES. Where I said was just Persona 3 Portable. I'll have to find it.

Here is where Elizabeth sings it in Persona 3 Portable.

I know she sings it for one of her requests too. But I can't remember which one and have no means of going through all of the request scripts at the moment.

Weird, this isn't the scene I'm thinking of, but I could have sworn her singing in P3FES. Given how many people don't remember it, I'm starting to doubt myself.

Daimaou

Thanks for all your translations! If I'm not mistaken you're the one who's been doing the PQ and P4U trailers, too, correct?

Caladrius

Weird how they kind of just inferred that being gay is toxic in this Kanji fight. Did Yosuke write this show?

That episode and the one right after it pissed me off so fucking much. It took everything in me to watch the rest of the anime. And I still regret watching because I gave that piece of shit advertising money.

Even Yosuke was never this homophobic in the original P4 game.

And yeah the fight is hot garbage. Shadow Naoto's fight was bad too.

Such a waste of Beelzebub.

Sophia

Weird, this isn't the scene I'm thinking of, but I could have sworn her singing in P3FES. Given how many people don't remember it, I'm starting to doubt myself.

I'm almost positive she sings it, but going through Persona 3's dialogue is a massive headache and I only have the vanilla script. Plus there's all sorts of little conversations in the game that are easily hidden.

I kinda hope you're right. That's an interesting theme that hasn't really been explored too much in the series. Fits in with the theme of being chained too.

Excellent translation work, on that note.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Thanks for all your translations! If I'm not mistaken you're the one who's been doing the PQ and P4U trailers, too, correct?

There are a few other people here and there treading similar ground over on 4chan and whatnot, but I think most of the translations that have been circulating for those games on here have been my work, yeah. I don't keep close track of where all that goes or actively promote it outside my personal channels since it just feels weird to me personally, but I'm flattered to hear people enjoy my work!

There are a few other people here and there treading similar ground over on 4chan and whatnot, but I think most of the translations that have been circulating for those games on here have been my work, yeah. I don't keep close track of where all that goes or actively promote it outside my personal channels since it just feels weird to me personally, but I'm flattered to hear people enjoy my work!

Thank you for you're contributions to our community sir!

Oh you! being so humble. You did a fantastic job. Thanks buddy.

Also Pepsi > Coca Cola, just sayin.

Watch Steins;Gate and appreciate the glory of Dr. Pepper.

And thanks for the translations, Pepsiman!

Alright you want me to watch Steins;Gate. Since it has Dr. Pepper It's on the top of my anime watch list. Then Corvo wants me to watch Full Metal Panic. Finally P4 anime. When all that is done, hopefully, the first part of the P3 movie will be out in English.

Edit: I saw the interview on Giantbomb .com, I don't know what NeoGAF's rules are regarding linking to scans though.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Whoa whoa whoa, let's not say stuff we'll come to regret.

Ya really. Coke is it.

Tmnt0bI.jpg

Alright you want me to watch Steins;Gate. Since it has Dr. Pepper It's on the top of my anime watch list. Then Corvo wants me to watch Full Metal Panic. Finally P4 anime. When all that is done, hopefully, the first part of the P3 movie will be out in English.

You should add Psycho Pass to that list.

Sophia

Boy howdy I'd sure like to see this interview everyone is so jazzed over!

I'd like to see the interview translation as well.

Pepsiman did the translation as a scanlation, which means it can't be posted here (unless a mod says otherwise) and you probably shouldn't ask for it. :\

Man... What made the Hiimdaisy comics even better was how she watched and actually incorporated jokes from the Endurance Run back when it was going on.

People then had to spoil Jeff by linking it to him, but still.

Shame they got spoiled. They still did pretty good at playing the game tho, even if they were always messing up.

Acid08

Banned
Pepsiman did the translation as a scanlation, which means it can't be posted here (unless a mod says otherwise) and probably shouldn't ask for it. :

Shame they got spoiled. They still did pretty good at playing the game tho, even if they were always messing up.
Maybe edit your quotes then :p I edited my post.

Gazoinks

I actually watched the Hiimdaisy Persona Comic Dub as I was playing P4 for the first time. I'd finish a chunk of the game and then head to youtube to watch the dub of that section. Good times.

Weird how they kind of just inferred that being gay is toxic in this Kanji fight. Did Yosuke write this show?

I think there was something about some of the boss attacks being alluded to in the anime- DVD commentary says that that whole
thing in the void with all the masks in ep. 3 was supposed to be Bottomless Envy
and I think the scene you're talking about was supposed to be that attack that only damages the male party members.

I mean not that this makes that episode less homophobic, but...

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Pepsiman did the translation as a scanlation, which means it can't be posted here (unless a mod says otherwise) and you probably shouldn't ask for it. :\

Yeah, I did it that way because I find Japanese magazine design enjoyable and like to give English readers a taste of that experience, but it is the one downside to these things. If it's not against the rules, I'd be happy to post the raw translation text I have stored on my hard drive if people would prefer that. I'll keep in mind that I should make that additionally stuff more accessible in the future if there's a demand for it and it's acceptable to do so.

FluxWaveZ

Thankfully, it was only Jeff that got spoiled and I believe it was specifically about
the fact that the handshake at the beginning of the game actually meant something.
(P4 spoilers)

Though, Jeff also probably knew the route to the True Ending of the game (might have referred to a spoilerless guide) while Vinny was oblivious to it all. It's funny seeing him "stumble his way" through all of the right choices in the crucial episode (PERSONA 4 SPOILERS) among everything else.

Stuff like Rushing the final boss is what made the run so good.

CorvoSol

In all honesty the only thing I didn't like was that both Chie and Yu were in on it. Yu I'll chalk up to his being less "Understanding" than I had at that point of the game, but I really don't remember Chie doing that crap after the chase.

Acid08

Banned
Thankfully, it was only Jeff that got spoiled and I believe it was specifically about
the fact that the handshake at the beginning of the game actually meant something.
(P4 spoilers)

Though, Jeff also probably knew the route to the True Ending of the game (might have referred to a spoilerless guide) while Vinny was oblivious to it all. It's funny seeing him "stumble his way" through all of the right choices in the crucial episode (PERSONA 4 SPOILERS) among everything else.
Jeff was also running his own game at home. I always wondered how far he got in it.

Sophia

Yeah, I did it that way because I find Japanese magazine design enjoyable and like to give English readers a taste of that experience, but it is the one downside to these things. If it's not against the rules, I'd be happy to post the raw translation text I have stored on my hard drive if people would prefer that. I'll keep in mind that I should make that additionally stuff more accessible in the future if there's a demand for it and it's acceptable to do so.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing against partial translations/bulletpoint summeries, because people do that often in the weekly Famitsu threads. I don't know about full translations however. Best to ask a mod about that.

But if it's okay and not against the rules, it would be wonderful to have the raw text in the future so as to not displease our great overlords cloaked in red.

I'm relatively new to GAF so would you mind explaining why this is exactly?

Magazine scans and full article transcripts are prohibited so as not to anger the company. They are trying to make a profit on them after all.

I'm relatively new to GAF so would you mind explaining why this is exactly?

Fate/Zero and Madoka before Psycho-Pass! Okay I haven't actually watched PP, but people seem to like F/Z and Madoka more as far as Urobuchi goes, and they're both pretty great. Levito where are you. :p

You had me at Psycho. The title alone interests me.

I haven't watched Fate but I did watch Madoka and I thought it was alright. I liked Psycho Pass a lot more. The characters, story, action scenes were all great, and the music was incredible.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
I'm pretty sure there's nothing against partial translations. I don't know about full translations however. Best to ask a mod about that.

That makes sense, yeah. I was going to err on the side of caution and not post it unless I explicitly had the all clear on it, but just thought I'd mention that the translation does exist in a purely text format should it be okay to post it.

FluxWaveZ

Jeff was also running his own game at home. I always wondered how far he got in it.

I think he mentioned in one of the episodes that he had given up playing his own game at home during the run 'cause it was getting crazy. I don't think he had gotten too far, in any case.

Eh, the way you did it looks beautiful, so I don't know if it'd be worth all the hassle to make it available in a form that'd look way worse.

(P4 spoilers)

Stuff like Rushing the final boss is what made the run so good.

I love Giantbomb. Though, I've never actually sat down and watched the P4 Endurance run, since I had already beaten P4 prior. My buddy recommended it to me but I just find it difficult to watch someone else play JRPGs if I'm not in the room bossing them around. I felt the same way about Chrono Trigger having beaten it previously.

The only Endurance Run I've watched some of was Deadly Premonition, by far, one of the best things ever.
Especially when Vinny and Jeff get the Infinite Machine gun.

Top Bottom