• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Moonlight

Banned
Did Kaneko do any of the designs in P4?

Thanks for the comments again guys. I was pretty well stumped on the next one for a bit, but after throwing a bunch of really silly ideas around with Chet I came up with one I like.
Unless you count most of the pre-existing demon designs, nope. Dude's gone incognito for a while.

Regardless, excited to see what you come up with next!

Kaneko didn't even do SMTIV, what's up with that. That seems wrong.

Back to Persona 3: I have taken to calling Yukari "Peninsula" ("Yuka-tan"). I should write for Ikutsuki.

The less you know about something, the more you can project onto something, the more it's going to match what you want out of it.

I dunno about that. There haven't been many games that actually match what I want out of them, so I try to keep my expectations at a reasonable level. Usually I just accept the game for what it is, hopefully the experience was enjoyable overall. It's fun being excited for things though.

Oh--in Persona 3, what defines if a party member gets sick or not? Seems random.

If they die in Tartarus and aren't revived they'll be sick for a few days afterwards, I'm pretty sure. What I have no idea about, even after playing the game twice, is what determines if they feel great or not.

Which ones?

KI (always seemed to me a game more fun to play than watch. I do want to play the game for myself one day though, and I'll probably watch it anyway) and Injustice (was never too fond on the game. Idea good, I just wasn't so hot on the end product. Also watching it last evo was a snoozefest)

FluxWaveZ

Today's PQ videos are totally going to be about Fuuka and Rise this time.

Tried to make a connection between these two Hashino statements earlier:

August 2013 said:
I’m sorry for the concerns caused by the recent circumstances, and I apologize. Next year is set to bring many announcements as part of the 25th anniversary of the Atlus brand, but there are a few things I’d like to share before that.

December 2013 said:
It's not just games that we're working on in the coming year, either; we hope to bring fans a lot of exciting things in 2014 and that they'll enjoy these new developments as they come along.

But I remembered that we had reached a consensus that the August 2013 quote could be interpreted in different ways and that it was probably just referring to November 24 since that happened. So... yeah. Pointless.

Nachos

I think there was some drama over her work in Evangelion that you might want to be aware of (specifically over her role as ADR director of EoE?), though I'm not sure how much stock you should put in on how serious it was.

Oh, right...There's a reason why even now Google auto-completes her name to "Amanda Winn Lee alcohol," more than a decade later.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
So I'm playing playing a certain videogame for review, and there's been a couple references to a certain series I hold dear.

uUm9tcs.jpg

Upupupupu~

I played that certain game in Japanese for the first time a few months ago and I'm very curious to see how NISA went about translating one of the references in particular. While I wasn't all that keen on how the fan patch translated much of the game from what I saw after I beat that original version, there was one very brazen late game reference to that certain series that I thought they handled quite beautifully. Would love to see what they "official" take on that dialog turned out to be; easily one of my favorite comedy bits in a thoroughly morbidly funny game.

FluxWaveZ

Can the great Flux be wrong again?! Lets find out on PersonaFridays!

Ha, I tend to try to account for alternate possibilities, but the new PQ characters had totally escaped my mind. If there are a couple of new PQ character videos today, then it has to be Fuuka and Rise.

Kinda interesting that they don't post them at set times each Friday.

Nachos

uUm9tcs.jpg

Upupupupu~

I played that certain game in Japanese for the first time a few months ago and I'm very curious to see how NISA went about translating one of the references in particular. While I wasn't all that keen on how the fan patch translated much of the game from what I saw after I beat that original version, there was one very brazen late game reference to that certain series that I thought they handled quite beautifully. Would love to see what they "official" take on that dialog turned out to be; easily one of my favorite comedy bits in a thoroughly morbidly funny game.

If you don't mind, could you explain what you didn't like about the fan translation, at least from a linguistic perspective? It seems like quite a few people liked it, though obviously most of them wouldn't have a prior frame of reference. I'm super-fascinated with localization processes in general, and though I've managed to stay spoiler-free in terms of plot details, I couldn't help but look at some comparison screenshots between the interfaces and typeface choices. I think I prefer what Poject Zetsubou did with its design changes better, though that's obviously secondary to the actual substance.

Levito

Banned
uUm9tcs.jpg

Upupupupu~

It's quite something, I just played it for about 4 hours straight. haha

Gazoinks

It's a play off the Japanese name for Etrian Odyssey (Sekaiju no Meikyuu or SQ shortened) as well as a play off the word "Cute"

I wonder if they'll localize it as Persona Odyssey, since that's kind of the equivalent title. Although I guess not since they already are using an English title.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
If you don't mind, could you explain what you didn't like about the fan translation, at least from a linguistic perspective? It seems like quite a few people liked it, though obviously most of them wouldn't have a prior frame of reference. I'm super-fascinated with localization processes in general, and though I've managed to stay spoiler-free in terms of plot details, I couldn't help but look at some comparison screenshots between the interfaces and typeface choices. I think I prefer what Poject Zetsubou did with its design changes better, though that's obviously secondary to the actual substance.

Just so we're clear, I'm probably not going to bother proofreading this since those Persona Q trailers aren't going to subtitle themselves, so if it seems like I've written anything wacky, that's not probably not intentional! Anyway...

Sure, I'm always happy to talk shop about translation and localization philosophies and whatnot. So I think a lot of my gripes deep down just boil down to different translators having different philosophies. Dangan Ronpa's obviously a super verbose and tonally pretty literary-sounding game, so it's only natural that what I get out of it as a translator and think is worth conveying in English is going to be different from how other people will handle that same source material. That's doubly the case when you're dealing with translators that work in pretty conflicting schools of thought about how they work to turn Japanese into English. I'm of the Agness Kaku school, essentially; she's responsible for translating most of the Katamari Damacy games and other miscellaneous stuff like Metal Gear Solid on the GBC, including the unlockable radio drama for the latter. Anyway, she's natively billingual in both languages and her approach is about the least technical way you can go about video game localization, which is to essentially not worry so much about the specific semantics of the original Japanese text and instead just focus the core sentimentality of each and every sentence. Basically this amounts to just outright rewriting stuff in English to sound most natural without obviously losing the critical details that make up a game's narrative. I can't say I'm as good as her, but I feel I'm similarly liberal in how I approach most documents that aren't technical projects and therefore don't need strict semantic consistency; I want any prose or dialogue or whatever it is I'm working on to be true to the spirit of the original work, but not necessarily true to every word per se. Basically I want to produce as smooth of a translated product as possible so it can stand on its own and be enjoyed for reasons similar to how the original version was, too, without being beholden necessarily to certain linguistic quirks. That goes for the Hashino interview as much as the trailers and fiction I work on elsewhere; I want Japanese thought and philosophy to be accessible to an English-speaking audience on their own terms and since so much of the language is abstract I think a thorough reconstruction, rather than a more robotic copy-paste job is the only way to get things done most of the time. There are exceptions where I'd be a lot more literal, of course, but it's mostly for technical documents and the like where you don't really want or need something for text to have personality.

Anyway, both of the Dangan Ronpa games are enormously difficult games to translate well and much of that has to do with how very, very aware the original Japanese writing is that it's a Japanese video game being made in Japan. It's playful with its status not only in terms of what it references like what was being discussed earlier, but also in terms of its raw language; Dangan Ronpa's prose is brilliant about manipulating player reactions in Japanese, doing everything from playing up different sorts of slang and linguistic quirks to define character personalities to outright breaking grammatical rules to better set the tone in the narration. Here's a brief list of what I think are the most aggressively Japanese parts and therefore the ones bound to prove the most troublesome to make work in English:

• The voice actors in the game are all pretty famous in Japan and were basically directed to just play characters using their most iconic voices without changing them at all. The protagonist and Monokuma are the most prominent of this bunch, with their voice actresses having played Shinji on Evangelion and Doraemon, respectively. This is all very much so by design; when Japanese players hear these voices, they often start to think that the characters they're playing in Dangan Ronpa have similar tropes and personalities characterizing them, only to routinely have that be upended when they show their true colors. Dangan Ronpa is very aware of who's likely in Japan to pick up a PSP adventure game in 2010 and they prey upon the players' memories of those voice actors to mess with their expectations to no end. Those voice actors help define the characters' Japanese identities in ways that would be logistically very difficult to reproduce in a localization.
  • A lot of characters either speak very specific regional dialects or otherwise deliberately speak in an obtuse way so as to compel players to associate them with specific stereotypes. These stereotypes are used in large part to throw people off those characters' trails during investigation scenes and whatnot where appearances are everything. You want to doubt them, but you feel you have them figured out to a t because of the way they carry themselves and, when they have voice acting, how they articulate their lines. That tends to not really be the case more often than not the further you get into the game.
  • The raw prose of the narration and whatnot often isn't particularly straightforward. Characters will regularly say one thing, but possibly mean another thing entirely based on how it's visually represented in the text, something that's only doable in Japanese because of its three separate writing systems. And if it's not doing that, then it's breaking linguistic rules of all sorts of emphasize a point. Maybe a character is feeling so overwhelmed that they can't even render the text correctly or they repeat a specific word over and over again to emphasize their thoughts. Rules are broken in a lot of ways that you can't readily replicate in other languages, essentially, with a lot of the specifics beyond what I've mentioned only being readily apparent to other Japanese speakers with access to that script.
  • References abound to Japanese media, much of it never translated for overseas audience. This is a significantly bigger issue in Super Dangan Ronpa 2, where an entire case is irrevocably tied to such a reference, but it's present in Dangan Ronpa 1 and they're rarely as recognizable as something like the Persona references it occasionally doles out.

Basically the only easy thing Dangan Ronpa has going for it is that its basic plot beats are readily conveyable across languages. The murders themselves are complicated, naturally, but none of them in this first game are overtly Japanese in terms of customs or anything and, that one case aside, that more or less remains the case in the sequel, too. You will not miss out on super critical plot developments as long as somebody isn't outright mistranslating something and mixing up words. Dangan Ronpa's biggest localization hurdle, then, is how to go about conveying its delightfully weird personality in an accessible way when so much of it relies heavily on how it's a Japanese game specifically. Things about how that game look and feel are inherently going to have to change when another language enters the picture, so it's ultimately an argument about what aspects are conveyable in the new language, which need to be changed, and how can both work together to make a cohesive whole.

I'm basically not keen on Project Zetsubou's translation style because I think they obsessed too much over making sure the overtly Japanese aspects remained visibly in the game to an aggressive extent, rather than working within the confines of English language and "culture," to put it broadly, to make Dangan Ronpa shine on its terms with a new audience. Like I said, I didn't play the translation patch and I've only seen bits and pieces of that final material, but from what I've seen and read on their blog from their translators, it's almost like they made this mish-mash that tries to be as true to how the Japanese language quirks functioned specifically in that version while still forcing it all to function in English, giving the game an identity crisis of sorts. I would rather those translators and writers have focused on making the dialog and whatnot toy with players' expectations and whatnot in ways on English can, essentially subscribing to the core methodology of how Dangan Ronpa was written, but not the actual output specifically. Basically, less worrying about how, say, Mondo's title as a student references a very specific sort of biker gang so much as just making him sound like he comes out of a biker movie. The characters and prose in an English translation for Dangan Ronpa need to speak and evoke feelings from English-only players in terms that they understand; it's critical to still understand how it all functions in Japanese, but it should only at best inform the basic tone and flow of the things and not the final output. And if something is so irrevocably Japanese that it shouldn't be removed from the English language, then the translation should still be worked around in such a way that English readers are naturally able to enter that mentality, instead of just translating it as straightforward as possible and throwing as many translation notes as possible at the game as has seemingly been the case with Project Zetsubou's approach.

I guess in a way it all actually does boil down to my having issues with semantics, but it's how Japanese semantics have been transplanted into English, rather than playing with English semantics to make the script feel unique and fun and wonderful in English, if that makes sense. You need the original Japanese as a basic compass to point you towards where and how things should be heading overall, but you lose a lot of soul when translating if you treat it as too much of an infallible bible of sorts. Dangan Ronpa deserves better than that, but it's a really hard thing to pull off well. It's an intimidating game to translate and I'm not trying to diminish the accomplishments of all of these different people that have worked on it officially and unofficially. I wouldn't even dare to presume I would do any better of a job inherently; I'd love to work on one of them, but I see a lot of lines that even my inner translator is stumped on how I'd make them work well in English. They're one of those games where, frustrating for players overseas though it may be, it'd probably be best to just hand it off to one or a handful of really top notch translators at most, tell them they have a few years to hash it Trails in the Sky-style, and just take it bit by bit until that English script is as great as it can be. Dangan Ronpa was written by Japanese writers with very serious chops and it deserves that same amount of attention and skill in a localized form.

But at the same time I'm glad that these translated versions do exist in any capacity and that people are getting enjoyment out of them. Spike Chunsoft puts out great work and it's gratifying to see it getting attention overseas. Given the choice between not having a translated version at all and having one I'd personally not be entirely satisfied with personally, I'll happily take the latter since I know not everyone is like me and has that choice to play it in the original language. I actually intend to start doing translation work on promotional material Spike Chunsoft puts out for their games like I do with Atlus stuff and that definitely includes Dangan Ronpa, so I may just yet see soon for myself how I end up tackling a lot of these fun problems I've been seeing the past couple of months. It should be interesting times ahead!

I can provide some spoiler free examples from both games if you're curious about how some of the things I've pointed out actually pan out since I've pretty liberally screencapped both of them and tell you how I'd approach translating them, if you're curious. But I've written a lot already, so I'm fine either way! ;D

It's a play off the Japanese name for Etrian Odyssey (Sekaiju no Meikyuu or SQ shortened) as well as a play off the word "Cute"

Ahh thank you, everything makes sense now.

Edit: So will the localized game be a play off the Etrian Odyssey title? Will NA receive a localized title like, Persona O, Persona Odyssey, Persona Odd-yssey, Shadows of the long subtitle.

Really excited about it because of the P3 characters, that story is definitely getting played first.

My man!

epic-handshake-o.gif

I think you know which campaign I'm gonna be playing first as well.

Just so we're clear, I'm probably not going to bother proofreading this since those Persona Q trailers aren't going to subtitle themselves, so if it seems like I've written anything wacky, that's not probably not intentional! Anyway...

What a meaty response, very interesting read!

Dantis

My subtitles for the Yukari trailer are up. I'll leave it up to one of you to disseminate it in wherever the trailer thread for this week is while I get to work on Junpei!

Awesome thanks. Also your previous post was filled with a plethora of interesting insights into the Japanese to English translations process. Sounds tough, especially when you want to be faithful to the spirit of the source material. Great read as usual!

Dantis

Listening to the P4 soundtrack, it's interesting how different it is to the later P4 stuff (Even the stuff Meguro has done). I really like how Hirata sings the tracks. Pursuing My True Self is a good example, when she sings the "Loading, loading, loading, quickly reaching maximum capacity; warning, warning, warning, gonna short-circuit my identity" lines. Sounds really laid back and disinterested, which really fits the tone of the game. Backside of The TV (The most underrated track ever) and Signs of Love are good examples of it too.

In the later stuff, she sings in a more normal, poppy way.

catwoman rise and batman yu!

Maybe!

A lot of tracks did, I think.

Like The Battle for Everyone's Souls is called Battle Hymn of The Soul in the US version.

Yep, looking at the song titles now it seems it goes both ways quite a fair bit, like a ton of songs keep the original Japanese English title but then say Theater becomes Striptease in the west version. Be nice to know if there is a reason for it, or they just thought the 'new' titles would come across better to a western audience.

Top Bottom