• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

PK Gaming

Shadow Hisano:
dKdisrn.png

Went back and forth on whether she should be depicted as she was or as she would have been. I decided making her look young was more depressing, like her Shadow is tainting her fond memories, so I went with it.
Awesome, it seems like a ghostly specter Shadow works very well in execution! Nice touch on making her shadow hubby faceless.

(I'm really glad I got to finish her social link)

Dantis

So, just looking at my Catherine art book again, and man, some of the art is so great.

I actually like Katherine's old design more. She looks virtually the same as Yukiko, but older and with glasses and red hair. Vincent also looked a lot more masculine and less like the moron he is in the final game. Seems like Erica used to be a more straight forward attractive waitress too, which is interesting.

I also realised that in all three of the Persona Team's games, it's important to separate the day from the night, particularly for people like me. It creates a visible division where the game bases itself in a mostly real world in the daytime, and then throws reality out the window at night time as an opportunity to bring in gameplay mechanics. A lot of stuff that happens in the game at night that would completely alter the tone of the game if it existed in the daytime sections, but because it isn't presented that way, I think it never breaks the immersion. In Persona 3 and Catherine especially, it almost feels like they're saying "The game section starts here, don't take everything here completely literally".

It's smart. They're smart guys.

Would you guys describe Persona as obscure? (among the wider gaming community)

To a point, I guess? I think if you're not an anime fan, you probably won't have heard of it. None of my friends know anything about it at all.

Depends on the region. JRPG is still a niche genre in the west, but I'd say after Persona 4 the franchise has moved up the ranks in recognition and popularity. In Japan, I would say that it's a very popular franchise, and certainly not as niche.

PK Gaming

So, just looking at my Catherine art book again, and man, some of the art is so great.

I actually like Katherine's old design more. She looks virtually the same as Yukiko, but older and with glasses and red hair. Vincent also looked a lot more masculine and less like the moron he is in the final game. Seems like Erica used to be a more straight forward attractive waitress too, which is interesting.
Phew, glad they dodged that bullet.

Dantis

Phew, glad they dodged that bullet.

It's actually a really boss design. Just doesn't fit the character. I think I've mentioned it before, but his face has more of a sheep-ish shape to it. He has like a really long flat nose and stuff. I guess Soejima decided that making him literally look like a sheep was too much, haha.

Gazoinks

Hooray
Didn't pick up P2 since I don't really feel like immediately replaying them and they go on sale constantly. Boxed copy of P4G is coming.

I also realised that in all three of the Persona Team's games, it's important to separate the day from the night, particularly for people like me. It creates a visible division where the game bases itself in a mostly real world in the daytime, and then throws reality out the window at night time as an opportunity to bring in gameplay mechanics. A lot of stuff that happens in the game at night that would completely alter the tone of the game if it existed in the daytime sections, but because it isn't presented that way, I think it never breaks the immersion. In Persona 3 and Catherine especially, it almost feels like they're saying "The game section starts here, don't take everything here completely literally".

It's smart. They're smart guys.

I'd never really thought about it before, but this is a very cool point. All three games have a very clearly split-up "Gameplay where wacky stuff happens" <> "Down to earth story" thing going on.

Sophia

Depends on the region. JRPG is still a niche genre in the west, but I'd say after Persona 4 the franchise has moved up the ranks in recognition and popularity. In Japan, I would say that it's a very popular franchise, and certainly not as niche.

It's extremely popular in Japan, as the recent concert showed. Getting to play at the Nippon Budokan is no small affair.

Meia

I just really want to see what Persona 5 does, numbers wise. I do still think Persona 4 was Atlus's FF7 in terms of blowing up the popularity of the brand, just hope it doesn't actually blow up the company like that one eventually did. :p

Sophia

And that same concert was live streamed in several other major venues simultaneously, wasn't it?

Yup. The Budokan holds 20,000, and they had part of it blocked off. So it's safe to assume that it was around 14,000 people + the people at the other venues + live streamers online + people like us who technically watched it illegally.

It's no small venue. Some of Japan's best music artists played there. Not to mention The Beatles played there in 1966.

I just really want to see what Persona 5 does, numbers wise. I do still think Persona 4 was Atlus's FF7 in terms of blowing up the popularity of the brand, just hope it doesn't actually blow up the company like that one eventually did. :p

Persona 5 will be their Final Fantasy 8! :D

Moonlight

Banned
In the mainstream consciousness, I'd say no, that Persona is still small fish in a big sea. That said it's got a pretty damn vocal and passionate word-of-mouth online community, as we can attest to, who are pretty dedicated to pulling people into the fold. NeoGaf probably isn't the best barometer for this sort of thing, but P4G is always the first title people recommend in those 'just bought a Vita' threads and LTTPs for the game are pretty common. It's a really active tag on Tumblr, too.

Sorry it's been a little quiet from me art-wise lately, but I'm back with my newest (and biggest) piece yet!

I recently upgraded my Photoshop to the new CC version, and I wanted to do something special to break it in. The result is this:

"Mayonaka Melee"

I'm really happy with how this one came out, and I'm thinking about doing a set of HD wallpapers based on this "rivals" concept, so let me know if that's something you'd like to see.

(Oh, and pan-hime has a printed copy of this at its original size-- 18x24"! I had to scale it down a bit for posting online :p )

EMT0

Banned
Persona 5 will be the FF XIII of Persona.

Oh and happy birthday Caladrius.

You forgot the 'Chair Returns: ' part. Featuring Kanji's chair as it tries to travel back to Kanji in order to renovate people's faces. Through your journey, you must dress the chair in various articles of clothing, some rather creepy. Why? Get Bent, that's why.

Chair Returns: Persona 5, coming with Day One DLC to a Gamestop near you.

Tiu Neo

You forgot the 'Chair Returns: ' part. Featuring Kanji's chair as it tries to travel back to Kanji in order to renovate people's faces. Through your journey, you must dress the chair in various articles of clothing, some rather creepy. Why? Get Bent, that's why.

Chair Returns: Persona 5, coming with Day One DLC to a Gamestop near you.

Can't wait for Persona 5-2 with Kanamin as the main character.

Levito

Banned
Wait a minute...

Persona 5's predominate colour is red.

Sega and Atlus are owned by the same parent company.

THE NEW KNUCKLES IS IN PERSONA 5.

PK Gaming

Sorry it's been a little quiet from me art-wise lately, but I'm back with my newest (and biggest) piece yet!

I recently upgraded my Photoshop to the new CC version, and I wanted to do something special to break it in. The result is this:

"Mayonaka Melee"

I'm really happy with how this one came out, and I'm thinking about doing a set of HD wallpapers based on this "rivals" concept, so let me know if that's something you'd like to see.

(Oh, and pan-hime has a printed copy of this at its original size-- 18x24"! I had to scale it down a bit for posting online :p )

tumblr_inline_n08upyECc51qhaskl.png

You've really outdone yourself this time TrueSelf. Definitely your best work, hands down.

Dantis

I still have lots of problems with it. As a sequel to Persona 4, or even as a Persona game in general, it is really terrible in my opinion.

But the gameplay is extremely similar to Blazblue and Naoto is fucking badass.

I think basically, it's taken me a year and a half to divorce it from the actual Persona games.

And so the facade begins to crack....

No facade. I genuinely didn't like it.

It's not as obscure as it used to be thanks to P4, but it's still somewhat obscure in the west. Not as obscure as SMT though.

"Mayonaka Melee"

Looks great!

Caladrius

We need more birthday-related page slaying, so I'm going to do my part.

Happy Birthday Caladrius :)

Happy birthday, Caladrius!

Happy Birthday Caladrius!

Oh and happy birthday Caladrius.

Thank you!

Shadow Hisano:
dKdisrn.png

Went back and forth on whether she should be depicted as she was or as she would have been. I decided making her look young was more depressing, like her Shadow is tainting her fond memories, so I went with it.

This is quite lovely. I love the tragic air it has about it.

Nah, don't worry about it man. Sorry for coming off poorly :( Hope you're having a good birthday!

I know you were joking. I felt like a dick is all.

"Mayonaka Melee"

Aw yiss.

Levito just likes to remind people of really shitty bands.

The worst thing you can do is give him a BrokeNCYDE CD when you get to EVO.

Top Bottom