• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Omikaru

Man, could you imagine a mainline persona with low poly characters that had bad facial animations?

Boy, I couldn't!

Heheheh. I probably shouldn't have opened that can of worms.

Let's just say I want the series to progress visually, especially after seeing Catherine. 3DS is a roadblock to that. But hey, Persona Q works. They're doing a decent job given the 3DS's horsepower.

Lunar15

Heheheh. I probably shouldn't have opened that can of worms.

Let's just say I want the series to progress visually, especially after seeing Catherine. 3DS is a roadblock to that. But hey, Persona Q works. They're doing a decent job given the system -- and the team's -- limited resources.

Yeah, I agree that the 3DS would be a step back from Catherine, but I think they could do something a step above P4 (albeit, a slight one.) Trust me, I didn't want the next Persona on the 3DS as much the next guy.

I think this comes down to art direction/Atlus being cheap-ass Atlus. The 3DS, while not a powerhouse by anyone's standards, can do much better. Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion, and plenty of other games have full facial animations of characters in-game, so it's definitely doable.

But yeah this is a stupid fucking argument and I never should have stirred the pot either. These conversations happened last year. I'll move on.

Dantis

Yeah, I agree that the 3DS would be a step back from Catherine, but I think they could do something a step above P4 (albeit, a slight one.) Trust me, I didn't want the next Persona on the 3DS as much the next guy.

I think this comes down to art direction/Atlus being cheap-ass Atlus. The 3DS, while not a powerhouse by anyone's standards, can do much better.

I absolutely doubt it.

3DS games are slightly above PSP. P3P looked like complete arse in the 3D bits.

It's a 3DS, what do you expect?

I would rather they not move their mouths, I guess?

Omikaru

But yeah this is a stupid fucking argument and I never should have stirred the pot either. These conversations happened last year. I'll move on.

I probably shouldn't have brought up the mainline stuff. I don't think anyone has to worry about any future mainline games being on 3DS at this point, so it seems kinda silly to bring it up.

I absolutely doubt it.

3DS games are slightly above PSP. P3P looked like complete arse in the 3D bits.
Eh, 3DS can do significantly better visuals than PSP, thanks in part to its shaders and such. Just look at RE: Revelations as an example of what you can do on 3DS... with the right budget/talent working on the game.

I think PQ's visuals are more down to Atlus' limited budget for this game. Best to just suck it up and get used to it; the art-style isn't growing on me too much but I'm kinda looking forward to it.

We'll all forget about PQ's visual flaws when we see P5 anyway. That's the one we're hoping will look excellent in HD.

Lunar15

Just watched the Junpei trailer. God, he's great. I love that he gets the silly glasses.

As for the Yukari trailer, I think it's interesting that the game delves, to some degree, into the characters' own feelings about their original game's mission. Yukari discusses doubts about the Dark Hour, for example. I don't think they'll spend too much time on it, since all of that is obviously resolved in the original games, but it's interesting that the dialogue touches on it.

Kazzy

I've perhaps seen four or five natives in my time that were actually my height. So I don't envy Kanji being so tall in that society. :(

I've seen plenty of people that are at least that height, in and around Tokyo. It's never struck me as being a particularly rare occurrence.

Meia

Meia proposed it was chronologically, so that's what I'm going with as well now.

I wonder why they felt the need to go with two P3 characters though. I almost think you'd have to have Fuuka and Rise together thematically, but then it'd break the order, even if this way of doing it this way rushed Fuuka to next in line. Unless of course they're skipping over Kanji for some reason.

At any rate, those trailers were great. Can see where pepsi is saying to be cautious I guess in that Yukari is looking at the IT and seeing them as great friends, while SEES just kind of work together. I'd LOVE for that to be an actual insight a character has in that game.

I also totally forgot that a lot of 4's cast is female, so I should've known hi-jinks would ensue with Junpei on the scene. That line to Yukari about Yukiko really gives me a lot of faith in the project. :D

That height graph is always depressing. The only male Persona character I'm taller than is Ken. Still, same size as Lisa and Ulala, so not all bad news. :D

FluxWaveZ

I wonder why they felt the need to go with two P3 characters though.

Might be because there are more P3 related characters than there are P4 ones and they wanted it to eventually balance out. If so, it should be P3/P4 every Friday from now since there are 6 characters of each left, unless they mix it up again.

PK Gaming

I'm basically not keen on Project Zetsubou's translation style because I think they obsessed too much over making sure the overtly Japanese aspects remained visibly in the game to an aggressive extent, rather than working within the confines of English language and "culture," to put it broadly, to make Dangan Ronpa shine on its terms with a new audience. Like I said, I didn't play the translation patch and I've only seen bits and pieces of that final material, but from what I've seen and read on their blog from their translators, it's almost like they made this mish-mash that tries to be as true to how the Japanese language quirks functioned specifically in that version while still forcing it all to function in English, giving the game an identity crisis of sorts. I would rather those translators and writers have focused on making the dialog and whatnot toy with players' expectations and whatnot in ways on English can, essentially subscribing to the core methodology of how Dangan Ronpa was written, but not the actual output specifically. Basically, less worrying about how, say, Mondo's title as a student references a very specific sort of biker gang so much as just making him sound like he comes out of a biker movie. The characters and prose in an English translation for Dangan Ronpa need to speak and evoke feelings from English-only players in terms that they understand; it's critical to still understand how it all functions in Japanese, but it should only at best inform the basic tone and flow of the things and not the final output. And if something is so irrevocably Japanese that it shouldn't be removed from the English language, then the translation should still be worked around in such a way that English readers are naturally able to enter that mentality, instead of just translating it as straightforward as possible and throwing as many translation notes as possible at the game as has seemingly been the case with Project Zetsubou's approach.

I guess in a way it all actually does boil down to my having issues with semantics, but it's how Japanese semantics have been transplanted into English, rather than playing with English semantics to make the script feel unique and fun and wonderful in English, if that makes sense. You need the original Japanese as a basic compass to point you towards where and how things should be heading overall, but you lose a lot of soul when translating if you treat it as too much of an infallible bible of sorts. Dangan Ronpa deserves better than that, but it's a really hard thing to pull off well. It's an intimidating game to translate and I'm not trying to diminish the accomplishments of all of these different people that have worked on it officially and unofficially. I wouldn't even dare to presume I would do any better of a job inherently; I'd love to work on one of them, but I see a lot of lines that even my inner translator is stumped on how I'd make them work well in English. They're one of those games where, frustrating for players overseas though it may be, it'd probably be best to just hand it off to one or a handful of really top notch translators at most, tell them they have a few years to hash it Trails in the Sky-style, and just take it bit by bit until that English script is as great as it can be. Dangan Ronpa was written by Japanese writers with very serious chops and it deserves that same amount of attention and skill in a localized form.

Some of my favorite translated games (Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick & Mother 3) follow that school of thought to a T. Those games were translated with English speaking players in mind, and they usually end changing quite a bit of content to accommodate English speaking players as a result. It's something I really appreciate. A good translation should go beyond replacing a few jokes here and there too; cultural context needs to be considered too, speaking styles, tone... all of these things are considered when translating a game, and i'm fascinated by that. Going back to Phoenix Wright again, the translation team for those games really go above and beyond in accommodating their English speaking players. When I play Ace Attorney, i'm not playing as Naruhodou Ryuuichi, but as Phoenix Wright GOSH DARNIT!!!

Translations are usually something I sometimes take for granted, so it's nice to get a perspective from someone who's actually in the field. What you said about losing "the soul" of a game between translations really struck a chord with me.

fertygo

I understand if fan translation always leaning to more literal approach..
They're "easier" and for amateur expecting them take some smart decision in liberal translation is way too much.

And being a fan that translating for fan, just too many thing that not gonna sit right for them to converting jokes/line that they actually like.

Levito

Banned
Playing Dang it Ron Paul on the Vita, and then playing the Bravely Default demo on 3DS is quite a contrast. The Vita's screen is just so, so much better.

Makes me wish PQ was a Vita game.

*sigh*

Bit off more than I could chew in Tartarus and lost like an hour of progress. Do Elizabeth's requests for the Old Documents have due dates? I can't remember.

Lunar15

I love my vita, but that thing has less games coming than the Wii U does. It's depressing.

Although, hell, even the 3DS release schedule is light. This is going to be a fucking weird year for games.

Gazoinks

I love my vita, but that thing has less games coming than the Wii U does. It's depressing.

What else do you need beside P4D? :p

Yeah, there's actually a fairly small crop of Vita exclusives that interest me, but I don't really mind because there's also enough good indie, PSP, and PS1 games I haven't played on it to amuse me for a long time.

Im not sure about that, because Pesrona fanbase is already at Vita and it much safer to port it than EO.

EO also just... wouldn't work on Vita. The map, remember. That being said, I wouldn't hold your breath for a PQ Vita port. Could happen, but I think it's kind of unlikely.

kewlmyc

Playing Dang it Ron Paul on the Vita, and then playing the Bravely Default demo on 3DS is quite a contrast. The Vita's screen is just so, so much better.

You're a review for a survival horror website, right? I guess DanganRonpa could be considered horror when I think about it.

Anyway, hope you enjoy my game of the year last year.

FireSol

Vita has allot of games planned for this year. Its really hard to set priorities what to buy first

EO also just... wouldn't work on Vita. The map, remember. That being said, I wouldn't hold your breath for a PQ Vita port. Could happen, but I think it's kind of unlikely.

yeah, I remember that map thing. And I really havent much hopes for that, just dreaming

Gazoinks

Playing P3P for the first time has reminded me that it's kind of hilarious how many people are watching the MC sleep by the end of the game. Everyone be creepin'.

Acid08

Banned

Vita screen is so good. I have weird issues with the 3D on my 3DS XL screen, it's harder to find that sweet spot. Pretty annoying for a game like Zelda that I played entirely in 3D.

It really doesn't.

It's much, much more likely than EO.
Even if EO has zero chance of getting ported and Persona Q is 10 times more likely, 0x10 is still 0. It won't be ported anywhere.

fertygo

That's pretty big exaggeration.

V6zBhpt.jpg

Levito

Banned
The Wii U has next to no games coming out in the next 6 months. None of them are Ron Paul either!

It's cool PQ is a 3DS game though, was just mentioning the Vita is such a glorious device.

You're a review for a survival horror website, right? I guess DanganRonpa could be considered horror when I think about it.

It's close enough to the point where I can review it, at least. :p

A lot of the UI in DanganRonpa is very similar to P4, at least the contrasting colors are.

uUm9tcs.jpg

Upupupupu~

I played that certain game in Japanese for the first time a few months ago and I'm very curious to see how NISA went about translating one of the references in particular. While I wasn't all that keen on how the fan patch translated much of the game from what I saw after I beat that original version, there was one very brazen late game reference to that certain series that I thought they handled quite beautifully. Would love to see what they "official" take on that dialog turned out to be; easily one of my favorite comedy bits in a thoroughly morbidly funny game.

I'm obviously very late on responding to this, but, did you ever see Orenronen's translation of it? I honestly thought it was really good, and yeah, interested to see how the localization will turn out.

Moonlight

Banned
Honestly, I think the only titles I'm excited to play for Vita in the next six or seven months are Danganronpa and Project Diva f. I mean, that still looks good compared to a grand total of zero for WiiU and I'm still getting a lot out of my Vita, but I think the only other big release for it I can think of at the moment is Toukiden, which I've played the demo of and was not fond of. But I'm probably in the minority there.

That said I know there's a couple Kickstarted games that I was interested in that have Vita ports coming there way, but I'm not really sure when they'll wind up coming around.

EDIT: Just saw the Junpei and Yukari trailers. Was laughing for a good chunk of Junpei's. Yukari hitting him, lol.

Lunar15

I'm just not interested in really any of those titles, but like I said, 3DS has the same damn problem.

For me it's like... Gravity Rush 2 and then P4D... if that even hits this year. The system just isn't getting marquee titles, and lord knows Sony isn't giving it much more first party support.

I play all my indie games on PC right now.

I'm a Nintendo doofus, so I can at least think of five first party games I'm excited for on the Wii U. It's not much, but it's something. 3DS, however, is weirdly silent.

Yeah, there's actually a fairly small crop of Vita exclusives that interest me, but I don't really mind because there's also enough good indie, PSP, and PS1 games I haven't played on it to amuse me for a long time.

Same, that's why I bought it. I'll probably check out the older Persona games when I get the chance.

Acid08

Banned
Bayonetta 2 will probably convince me to buy a Wii U. The first game was just too good to not play the sequel. Other than that though.....3D World I guess?

Lunar15

Bayonetta 2 will probably convince me to buy a Wii U. The first game was just too good to not play the sequel. Other than that though.....3D World I guess?

If you don't like Nintendo games, there's nothing for you. But if you do, you've got DKC, Mario Kart, Smash, Bayonetta, and maaaaaybe X coming out this year. Zelda Dynasty Warriors is going to be hot garbage, so I'm not counting it. There are most likely unannounced games for the second half of the year.

This is a persona community thread, so it's not surprising that most of the people in here are huge RPG fans, which Nintendo's consoles have never been big on, especially the Wii U. Of course you're not going to see many games on the system.

I, on the other hand, am not actually a huge JRPG guy. Persona might be my favorite game ever, but it's a strange exception to the rule. I'm actually mainly a PC gamer.

Acid08

Banned
If you don't like Nintendo games, there's nothing for you. But if you do, you've got DKC, Mario Kart, Smash, Bayonetta, and maaaaaybe X coming out this year.

Zelda Dynasty Warriors is going to be hot garbage.
I love Nintendo games and the 3DS has been doing me extremely well for those.

Smash is the only game there I'm interested in besides Bayo. I hate DKC games, MK is take it or leave it. If there was a Wii U Animal Crossing I'd go buy one right now.

Soriku

I love Nintendo games and the 3DS has been doing me extremely well for those.

Smash is the only game there I'm interested in besides Bayo. I hate DKC games, MK is take it or leave it. If there was a Wii U Animal Crossing I'd go buy one right now.

You're not interested in X?

Dantis

Even if EO has zero chance of getting ported and Persona Q is 10 times more likely, 0x10 is still 0. It won't be ported anywhere.

YES MATE THANKS FOR THE INSIDER KNOWLEDGE.

If you don't like Nintendo games, there's nothing for you. But if you do, you've got DKC, Mario Kart, Smash, Bayonetta, and maaaaaybe X coming out this year. Zelda Dynasty Warriors is going to be hot garbage, so I'm not counting it. There are most likely unannounced games for the second half of the year.

This is a persona community thread, so it's not surprising that most of the people in here are huge RPG fans, which Nintendo's consoles have never been big on, especially the Wii U. Of course you're not going to see many games on the system.

I, on the other hand, am not actually a huge JRPG guy. Persona might be my favorite game ever, but it's a strange exception to the rule. I'm actually mainly a PC gamer.

DKC should have an amazing soundtrack at least. :p

Levito

Banned

I, on the other hand, am not actually a huge RPG guy. Persona might be my favorite game ever, but it's a strange exception to the rule.

Whaaaaaa? Super Nintendo was fucking ACE when it came to the RPG genre!

Not really interested in Nintendo's games anymore myself, at least not things like Mario Kart. Bayonetta 2 looks flippin' fantastic though.

Sophia

That looks pretty cool! But also not like something that would sell me a system. Animal Crossing on the other hand....

If this is not something that will sell you on a system off a bunch of teasers alone, then you need to hand in your RPG and nerd badges right this instant! :|

As an aside, I am suddenly hyped for the potential of Persona 3 FES via remote play now....

Dantis

If this is not something that will sell you on a system off a bunch of teasers alone, then you need to hand in your RPG and nerd badges right this instant! :|

As an aside, I am suddenly hyped for the potential of Persona 3 FES via remote play now....

*hands in badges*

Top Bottom