• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Gazoinks

The main character in P3 feels like such a jerk. All of the best responses in his S.Links sound like him saying what the other person wants to hear instead of you being a genuinely good person. Like, the guy who hangs out with the head of the Disciplinary Committee feels like a completely different person from the guy who hangs out with that depressing loser Kenji.

"Yes, Chihiro, that was very rude of them to talk about kissing in a public place. Yes, we should definitely bring it up at the next meeting, I fully support your decision."

The responses make you feel really duplicitous instead of good.

Yup. The S.Link writing as a whole in P3 is kind of awkward compared to P4 in places. I'm playing through P3P FeMC right now and appreciating the improvements. By which I mean switching Kenji for Junpei. :p

That being said, there's a certain amount of sociopathy required to max out S.Links in both games. Good moral right there Atlus. :p

Caladrius

That being said, there's a certain amount of sociopathy required to max out S.Links in both games. Good moral right there Atlus. :p

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Speaking of which I'd love to see a game where you go up against a wild card user who's managed to destroy the lives of everyone he knows for his own personal gain.

Hey, they never say you have be a good person with your bond-building :p.

And (major spoilers)
you could argue that the ends justified the means with the whole saving the world thing. He literally converted those bonds into the most powerful arcana in existence.

Acid08

Banned
Makoto still helps all of the people he slinks with. You're crazy if you think Yu is some kind of saint in comparison.

Logash

I'm really considering buying Persona 2 innocent sin on my Vita but I am hesitant because alot of people tell me that I won't like it since I played 3 and 4 first. Considering I have played through 3 and 4, what are the chances of me enjoying 2?

Caladrius

I'm really considering buying Persona 2 innocent sin on my Vita but I am hesitant because alot of people tell me that I won't like it since I played 3 and 4 first. Considering I have played through 3 and 4, what are the chances of me enjoying 2?

1. How much do you like old-school RPGs?
2. How tolerant are you of easy games?

Squire

Banned
Sorry Sophia, but X just ain't givin' it to me.

36243-slow-clap-citizen-kane-orson-w-bJkI.gif

To each their own I suppose, Infamous is out next month. Not to mention The Order, Uncharted, and a number of multiplatform stuff later in the year as well. The system is selling gangbusters, so it's not like it's in any danger of not having any good games, it's just early.

I make fun of the fact that all I do on the system is watch crunchyroll and Netflix, but hey--that comes with the whole buying a console at launch territory.

My vita was the Assassin's Creed bundle they released in 2012. Got it on sale, boy that game was junk--then again I don't like that series in general.

This is exactly how I feel. Launch games are always meh-OK and there's always a drought, but good stuff is certainly on the way. I'm happy I have the console now, so I can just focus on the games as they hit.

I really feel nothing for almost all Sony first-party stuff, nothing off the top of my head jumps out. But the thing sure has a bunch of third party stuff I want to play maybe.

Same here. People always say they have this great portfolio, but almost none of it resonates with me. I love for Naughty Dog's games and I always have, but that's basically.

Think I dislike the most about this gen transition is the amount of cross generation titles
that aren't Persona 5.

You're on it today!

cj_iwakura

If you enjoy a good story and don't mind navigating isometric dungeons, you'll be fine. It's hard to get lost, but there are quite a few random battles.

And yeah, it's very easy. EP on the other hand is the hardest game in the series.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just got my Bravely Default CE.

My FC for anyone wants to add me: 5241-1921-7740.

PM me if you do with your own FC so I can add you back.

PK Gaming

Makoto still helps all of the people he slinks with. You're crazy if you think Yu is some kind of saint in comparison.

The extent to which they help each their respective S.links is like night and day. I use "help" very loosely for Makoto, because his S.links aren't about helping people. They're mostly about being there for the person, hearing them out, etc. Which sounds nice in theory, but for the most part, Makoto just stands there.

He stands there when Nozomi
is getting chewed out by that angry parent (he doesn't say damn thing during most of the s.links btw, which is a shame. Nozoimi has some serious hang ups).
He stands there when Kenji's talks on and on about his "plan". He stands there when Kaz finds tries to push himself despite having
a broken leg
. There's generally very little back and forth between Makoto and his s.link friends. Which is a shame, his social links would have been a lot better if he was more involved.

Yu's the opposite. He gets involved, constantly. He goes out of his way to cheer people up. You see it in Yosuke S.link, when you tell those bad mouthing girls to screw off, cheer him with encouraging comments, or when you
give him a hug at the end.
. You see it in the Shu s.link where he
throws him a fucking birthday party after the latter goes through some bad times.
You see it in the Naoki S.link when you help him
cope with his sister's death.
Another important thing to consider with Yu is that he isn't above letting someone know when they're in the wrong. It's clear as day in the Dojima s.link when he calls him out distancing himself from Nanako.

To be fair, there are times when Makoto does get involved, and those scenes are legitimately great, but they're rare. Some of these best scenes include: Cheering Kenji after he gets
his heart smashed by that teacher.
and when he
called Nozomi out for scamming folk.

Actually, the latter parts of the Nozomi link is one of the few links where Makoto comes across as an actual human being. The scene where he shows up to
help Nozomi from getting his dumb ass beat is very powerful.

Marche90

Missed most of the conversations a few pages ago. I'm a sad bear right now

I really really really really for some reason am not interested in all in Dangan Ronpa. No idea why. I liked 999, and I liked Persona, but something about Dangan Ronpa is a complete turnoff for me. That's not to say I won't pick it up somewhere down the line.
!

Going by your posts, I think that your tastes in gaming are similar to mine. Lemme tell you something: you HAVE to play Dangan Ronpa. I Marathoned the PSP version two weeks ago, and it was magical. Awesome game, and I betcha that the story will keep you hooked thorough the end. If I had a Vita, I would buy the NISA version in a heartbeat.

Also, the best girl in the game is in my Avatar. Just sayin'

wmlk

Even just looking at Makoto's design, I wouldn't think he's a guy who helps other people out or really cares. He just seems like someone who doesn't care. There was definitely a disconnect between him and the whole Social Link mechanic in my opinion. Yu, on the other hand, fits the game and its setting like a glove. I guess the anime also made me feel this way.

EDIT: No longer a junior...I'M A MAN NOW.

kewlmyc

Am I the only one that found Hidetoshi to be a balls-to-the-wall badass?

...something's telling me that I am.

Hidetoshi got shit done, which I can respect.

Even just looking at Makoto's design, I wouldn't think he's a guy who helps other people out or really cares. He just seems like someone who doesn't care. There was definitely a disconnect between him and the whole Social Link mechanic in my opinion. Yu, on the other hand, fits the game and its setting like a glove. I guess the anime also made me feel this way.

EDIT: No longer a junior...I'M A MAN NOW.

I think it's more of the fact that P3 Male route was P-Studio's first experience with writing social links and that's why they're the worst, but no one else seems to agree and just think that P3MC is a sociopath, so whatever.

Also congrats on member status, Mr. Wmlk.

There will always be a disconnect with social links because of time gaps/ignored relationships (hey I know we're like going out know but I'm never going to mention it during a story moment). My favorite is how people will tell you about their awful life problems that nobody else knows after you've hung out with them maybe like 4 times

Acid08

Banned
The extent to which they help each their respective S.links is like night and day. I use "help" very loosely for Makoto, because his S.links aren't about helping people. They're mostly about being there for the person, hearing them out, etc. Which sounds nice in theory, but for the most part, Makoto just stands there.

He stands there when Nozomi
is getting chewed out by that angry parent (he doesn't say damn thing during most of the s.links btw, which is a shame. Nozoimi has some serious hang ups).
He stands there when Kenji's talks on and on about his "plan". He stands there when Kaz finds tries to push himself despite having
a broken leg
. There's generally very little back and forth between Makoto and his s.link friends. Which is a shame, his social links would have been a lot better if he was more involved.

Yu's the opposite. He gets involved, constantly. He goes out of his way to cheer people up. You see it in Yosuke S.link, when you tell those bad mouthing girls to screw off, cheer him with encouraging comments, or when you
give him a hug at the end.
. You see it in the Shu s.link where he
throws him a fucking birthday party after the latter goes through some bad times.
You see it in the Naoki S.link when you help him
cope with his sister's death.
Another important thing to consider with Yu is that he isn't above letting someone know when they're in the wrong. It's clear as day in the Dojima s.link when he calls him out distancing himself from Nanako.

To be fair, there are times when Makoto does get involved, and those scenes are legitimately great, but they're rare. Some of these best scenes include: Cheering Kenji after he gets
his heart smashed by that teacher.
and when he
called Nozomi out for scamming folk.

Actually, the latter parts of the Nozomi link is one of the few links where Makoto comes across as an actual human being. The scene where he shows up to
help Nozomi from getting his dumb ass beat is very powerful.

Every slink Makoto has puts the person in a better place after it is said and done. He does help them all and there is literally NO WAY you can say that he doesn't. Even if it's just by being there and listening, guess what, that is helping! Doesn't take a person constantly butting into what other people are doing like Yu in Yumi's link to help someone out.

If you don't like his personality, fine, but people try so hard to make him seem like a villain just because he isn't Yu Narukami.

Obligatory:

36r8J.jpg

AKA all of P4 besides the Investigation Team.

Sophia

Why is it tacky? It's simple and functional, not like they have chains and gaudy accessories or four inch skirts.

Ask yourself if you've seen any school uniforms like that before. No? Because generally oversized comical white striped lines all over the uniform looks a little bit bizarre. =p

Still better then the SMT If... uniforms, which are just silly.

Actually the P1 uniforms are pretty normal, now that I think about it....

why is one of them shirtless

That is a very good question.

Gazoinks

Ask yourself if you've seen any school uniforms like that before. No? Because generally oversized comical white striped lines all over the uniform looks a little bit bizarre. =p

Still better then the SMT If... uniforms, which are just silly.

Actually the P1 uniforms are pretty normal, now that I think about it....

That is a very good question.

You talkin' smack about glorious striped pants, Sophia? Shame on you.

PK Gaming

Every slink Makoto has puts the person in a better place after it is said and done. He does help them all and there is literally NO WAY you can say that he doesn't. Even if it's just by being there and listening, guess what, that is helping! Doesn't take a person constantly butting into what other people are doing like Yu in Yumi's link to help someone out.

Yeah, but that was never in dispute. I was just pointing out that he barely engages with his S.links. It's fine if you're ok with it, but personally I wasn't a huge fan of that style of social linking. The whole "you helped me even though you just stood there and didn't say shit until the very end" didn't really sit right with me either. I am a fan of the concept of listening and being there for a person, but P3 could have handled it better.

If you don't like his personality, fine, but people try so hard to make him seem like a villain just because he isn't Yu Narukami.

What? Dude, I don't think people dump on Makoto's characterization for not being Yu Narukami. They do it because his dialogue response are usually negative (see comic) or completely disingenuous. (see Green Mamba's post)

AKA all of P4 besides the Investigation Team.

I still drink coffee with Dojima and spend precious time with Nanako.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sophia

You talkin' smack about glorious striped pants, Sophia? Shame on you.

good point. st. hermelin reiji is shirtless at least.

also if…'s gaudy pants are the best.

Today at Karukozaka High School: Are the young adults here students or clowns in training? You decide!

Persona 1 and Persona 3's uniforms are pretty good. The P4 uniforms aren't bad either, stitched lines running through them aside.

cj_iwakura

Really not sure how I feel about all the
dimension hopping drama
in Bioshock Infinite. It's like all of a sudden I'm playing
Sliders: The Game.

Today at Karukozaka High School: Are the young adults here students or clowns in training? You decide!

Reika will cut you.

smtif-group2.jpg

(Case in point on the gaudy accessories.)

Top Bottom