• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

I wonder if they cover up to the point they appear in PQ or the whole game.

They appear to cover slightly beyond the point they appear in PQ.

In P3's case
it covers all of the full moon shadows, but not what happens after.

In P4's case
It covers up to Namatame in the hospital room, after you finished Heaven. But not beyond that. Nor does it cover any of the choices needed to avoid the bad ending there.

Atlustube just uploaded a bunch of P3 and P4 videos. Not really sure why.
They uploaded them so the PQ audience could catch up with the story without having to buy the games. But it seems like a bad idea to me.

I wonder if they cover up to the point they appear in PQ or the whole game.

The P3 ones covers up to
the defeat of the last Full Moon boss, just before Ikutsuki's reveal. Also covers Shinji's death.

The P4 ones covers up to
Namatame's stealing of Nanako. No Adachi.

Edit: Ninja'd

PK Gaming

Marie weighs in on the Yosuke discussion:

tumblr_n5dq1t50ff1r9uonxo1_500.jpg

She's a sweet heart. She could've been much better, but she's not worth hating.

I never understood the hate for her, her SLink isnt great, but its not because SHES bad, its just lazily written IMO.

Her design is cool, her story is great and to be honest, I have a soft spot for tsunderes.
Just my opinion, dont crucify me

Acid08

Banned
I never understood the hate for her, her SLink isnt great, but its not because SHES bad, its just lazily written IMO.

Her design is cool, her story is great and to be honest, I have a soft spot for tsunderes.
Just my opinion, dont crucify me
Love your avy, do you have a full res version of that picture?

Lunar15

Finished JoJo's Part 1. Weird, basic, but still ultimately enjoyable. Excited for Part 2.

Anywho, Yosuke discussion's already wrapping up and I've certainly said my piece about this before. I like him due to his flaws, and the game is no stranger to pointing his insecurities out including his homophobic spat with Kanji on the camping trip. The writers played up Yosuke's insecurities for laughs, but that was at the detriment of Yosuke, not Kanji.

I think that most of our issues with the game's writing stem out of the fact that the team members don't get enough time together outside of the main plot. Nothing gave me the slightest hint that Yosuke disliked any member, it's just that he keeps up an air about him as part of his insecurities. I can see how this bugged people, but he always falls flat on his face, and the game has no problems exploiting his lack of confidence. It's for these reasons I like him as a character, and as with most characters, this game at least does the respect of showing you the reasons why people act the way they do. That is something not enough stories take the time to do, and while it can be a little direct in Persona, it's something that makes it stand out.

My final point is that I still must give kudos to the localization team, who turned what I think might have been something a little more cliched in Japanese into something more relatable in the english version. Just the slight turns of phrase they used gave it warmth in ways the original likely didn't have. While the original writing certainly had a really refreshing degree of self-awareness, I think the localization team did a fantastic job of enhancing those parts. If you talk to people who really do enjoy the game, despite not really liking anime a whole lot, most of the reason they like it is because it has that sense of self-awareness, that it takes shots at itself and isn't afraid to go a little deeper behind a trope. I think a lot of that comes from the translation personally, so bravo to the team on that.

Marche90

Hmmm... I've been thinking. Seeing as Persona Q is coming soon in Japan, it would be a good thing to have a podcast focusing on it and the series that it uses as a basis, Etrian Odyssey. Expectations about the game, touching upon the systems that EO uses and how PQ might expand upon those and whatever else people can think of relating the games.

Of course, some of those tidbits are already handled by the videos that Atlus has uploaded, but guess it would be nice to expand on those points and cover those that maybe Atlus haven't touched upon.

Obviously, since I have never played an EQ game to completion before (I gave up on the first one due to having to draw the map), so I'm not really in the run to discuss it in a podcast, but I'm pretty sure that a few of us have already played the games and could make the talk interesting. What do you guys think?

...and apparently Persona Q takes over 100 hours to clear?

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/7674915.html

AWESOME! I always love playing long games on handhelds.

Also I think I really suck because I spent 144 hr 46 m at P4 Normal mode; 158hr 3m at P3 The Journey and 52hr 7m at P3 The Answer. But to be fair I remember I fell asleep during one or two sessions the whole day.

About the Yosuke discussion, I agree with the others that I can identify myself with him because I have changed from schools and often tease my friends (but I'm no homophobe or bad at school.). And I don't want this to become a Yosuke vs Junpei discussion but I did felt that Yosuke was my 'best friend' unlike Junpei. I think it's because Junpei during the game acted like a dick with P3MC until he apologizes during the last months, while Yosuke spends the whole game supporting Yu. Even when Junpei is all sad because of
Chidori's death
he finds support in Ryoji instead of P3MC. There's also the fact that he doesn't have a Social Link so you don't get to really know about him and his problems. I just don't feel a "best bros" connection between P3MC and Junpei. unlike with Yu and Yosuke.

Marche90

Awesome picture! and the original one too!

Changing themes a little bit, I've been meaning to ask, and sorry if this sound odd, but it's something that's been naging me: why are your images sometimes squeezed? Like if you were using a 4:3 resolution on a 16:9 monitor. Both your current avatar and your Dojima image from a few pages ago look like this.

Although seeing the full image, maybe you wanted to keep the whole Chie image in your avatar? Anyway, sorry for the odd question.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
No bike shorts on that Chie picture... false Chie!

Hmmm... I've been thinking. Seeing as Persona Q is coming soon in Japan, it would be a good thing to have a podcast focusing on it and the series that it uses as a basis, Etrian Odyssey. Expectations about the game, touching upon the systems that EO uses and how PQ might expand upon those and whatever else people can think of relating the games.

Of course, some of those tidbits are already handled by the videos that Atlus has uploaded, but guess it would be nice to expand on those points and cover those that maybe Atlus haven't touched upon.

Obviously, since I have never played an EQ game to completion before (I gave up on the first one due to having to draw the map), so I'm not really in the run to discuss it in a podcast, but I'm pretty sure that a few of us have already played the games and could make the talk interesting. What do you guys think?

I think CJ and I are the only ones on the crew who've played them.

I beat IV and am working through EOU.

I was thinking about this myself, but held back for the above reasons.

Kazzy

Changing themes a little bit, I've been meaning to ask, and sorry if this sound odd, but it's something that's been naging me: why are your images sometimes squeezed? Like if you were using a 4:3 resolution on a 16:9 monitor. Both your current avatar and your Dojima image from a few pages ago look like this.

Although seeing the full image, maybe you wanted to keep the whole Chie image in your avatar? Anyway, sorry for the odd question.

Yes, it does irritate me too - though I don't have the necessary MS paint ability to fix it! Someone should oblige!

The amount of times I have bugged people to make me avatars...

*waves*

The chie pic I had to fuck around a lot just to get it as an avatar without a white background to it, so thats why its not great. The original dimensions are 900x737 but to get the whole thing in the avatar I had to change it to 100x120 so thats why it seems a bit squished.

As for the Dojima image, I dont quite see what you're on about, probably because I drew it, could you elaborate a bit?

Ps. My monitor is shockingly bad, so that could be a factor.

Marche90

The chie pic I had to fuck around a lot just to get it as an avatar without a white background to it, so thats why its not great. The original dimensions are 900x737 but to get the whole thing in the avatar I had to change it to 100x120 so thats why it seems a bit squished.

As for the Dojima image, I dont quite see what you're on about, probably because I drew it, could you elaborate a bit?

Ps. My monitor is shockingly bad, so that could be a factor.

Oh. Most likely, then.

Anyway, the Chie image, I guessed it was something along those lines. As for the Dojima one, the proportions is the one thing that look odd, like if the image was squeezed. Here's a quick modification I did in paint to show my point; I only stretched the image to what I guessed were closer to the proportions it should have:

AHTTOPz.png

EDIT: Forgot to mention in all instances: your drawing was really good!

Sounds fantastic from a teaching perspective.

"This is FOE. FOE is not your friend! Do not hug FOE! Bring two GO-HOMs!"

That sorta thing.

Some people gotta be that way, ya know.

Oh. Most likely, then.

Anyway, the Chie image, I guessed it was something along those lines. As for the Dojima one, the proportions is the one thing that look odd, like if the image was squeezed. Here's a quick modification I did in paint to show my point; I only stretched the image to what I guessed were closer to the proportions it should have:

AHTTOPz.png

EDIT: Forgot to mention in all instances: your drawing was really good!

Ahhhh, I think I get it now. My drawing software defaults the canvas to portrait mode and when I'm done drawing, since I dont have to draw on the canvas on the program, I move and alter the image to fit the canvas. Thats probably why the proportions look skewed.

Also, cheers! I'm slowly improving I think, still need to work on faces a bit more though.

Anywho, Yosuke discussion's already wrapping up and I've certainly said my piece about this before. I like him due to his flaws, and the game is no stranger to pointing his insecurities out including his homophobic spat with Kanji on the camping trip. The writers played up Yosuke's insecurities for laughs, but that was at the detriment of Yosuke, not Kanji.

I don't know. The result of that scene was Kanji running out and getting kicked in the nuts by Chie.

The scene in the tent was eye roll-worthy but I don't pin the blame entirely on Yosuke's character. From the start, with Kanji's dungeon, they've always used his sexuality as some sort of running gag. The boss looks like something out of cho aniki. His interactions with Naoto. ("Make me into a man dammit!")

More like superior Chie.

I don't know. The result of that scene was Kanji running out and getting kicked in the nuts by Chie.

The scene in the tent was eye roll-worthy but I don't pin the blame entirely on Yosuke's character. From the start, with Kanji's dungeon, they've always used his sexuality as some sort of running gag. The boss looks like something out of cho aniki. His interactions with Naoto. ("Make me into a man dammit!")

I think I read somewhere that they kept his sexuality ambiguous for comedy purposes, which is kind of a dick move. But they handled his character well so it gets a pass.

tl;dr Japan isn't the most open-minded country on earth and their games reflect that fact.

CorvoSol

Teddie will not rest until he has had sex with every single party member. Even Labrys.

Like, you know how in FF6 Maduin thinks that peace can be achieved between humans and Espers by having sex with them?

This is Teddie's solution to the entire shadow problem.

CorvoSol

If you guys, Crovo, and Inorigo want to go for it--how does Friday sound?

That's probably just fine for me. This week was "HEY WE NEED YOU TO DO THINGS FOR US" week, so hopefully this new week is mine mine mine.

Should be interesting to see how long we can talk about one dang character, haha

He already did in that fanfic we read.

I regret not volunteering for that.

Levito

Banned
Inorigo just let me know that a guest we've been trying to get for a while is game to come on this Saturday. So Yosuke 'cast will have to be delayed, sorry for proposing that so quickly. :p

Rhapsody

Banned
At least it's better than people trying to bring about the end of the world because they can no longer identify you due to lacking your iconic Aigis avatar....

I know that feel :( (on another forum). Changed it anyway and people stopped bugging me.

Squire

Banned
As much as I'd love to defend Yosuke, I just wouldn't have the time. Too busy with work.

Also, Japan time would make it difficult for everyone else.

Ah, unfortunate. :/ I hope one day we can work something put to have you and Jintor on. Time zones/work schedules are rough to work around.

Ah! Who might that be?

Persona, as in the character designer from SkullGirls!

Anyway, if you do art/can discuss it on a somewhat intellectual level let me know, 'cause we need you for this one. Three of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom