• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

The characters solely relying on their personas is kind of shit though. Not to mention you really really *really* do not want movies showcasing SEES using badass weapons while the P4 crew punches cards.

And no, it never made sense for someone like Naoto to *not* have a weapon.

We are in the most immense disagreement here. You think it makes sense for her to have a gun?

Andrefpvs

Troy Baker was on his honeymoon during the second half. Matthew Mercer replaced him as Kanji in the English dub of the anime as a result.

For... real? I watched the anime for the first time a couple of months ago and didn't notice this. My mind is blown.

What's the first episode in which this happens?

Dantis

For... real? I watched the anime for the first time a couple of months ago and didn't notice this. My mind is blown.

What's the first episode in which this happens?

I want to say that it's the back 12 episodes, but I might be wrong. I haven't actually seen all of the English dub.

Meia

We are in the most immense disagreement here. You think it makes sense for her to have a gun?

Given Japan gun laws, dunno. She works with the police so I never really questioned the idea of her having one, so not sure how it is for detectives over there.

Do you think it made sense for the characters in the P4 anime to have the same animations to summon a Persona weaponless? Yosuke doing a twist to punch the card? Naoto doing a finger gun for god's sakes to summon hers? :p

Dantis

Given Japan gun laws, dunno. She works with the police so I never really questioned the idea of her having one, so not sure how it is for detectives over there.

Do you think it made sense for the characters in the P4 anime to have the same animations to summon a Persona weaponless? Yosuke doing a twist to punch the card? Naoto doing a finger gun for god's sakes to summon hers? :p

I never paid any notice to it, to be honest. I've always seen the weapons as a pure gameplay decision though, which is why they're not only never addressed, they're never even mentioned again after the scene with Yosuke at Junes.

Andrefpvs

Just watched a clip of the beauty pageant episode, and you're right! It's a different person.

But I honestly couldn't tell before. The difference is so subtle! He did a great job.

todd360

Does anyone know of a Japanese version of youtube? I want to see an unboxing of persona 3 movie. I'm struggling so hard with importing this or not.

Meia

I never paid any notice to it, to be honest. I've always seen the weapons as a pure gameplay decision though, which is why they're not only never addressed, they're never even mentioned again after the scene with Yosuke at Junes.

Yeah, the idea of gathering up shadow parts to get new weapons, so Daidara himself I can easily see as something that exists because of "It's a game!" But I cannot wrap my head around the IT going into a dangerous environment(they know it is since it killed a few people) totally unarmed, no, especially since they didn't have a persona the first time.

I mean, the only people in the cast that it bothered me that had weapons and were somehow skilled in using them was Yosuke and Yukiko. I mean, we have a fighting game with them using them, SEES obviously uses them in their movies, so if the new anime doesn't have them using them it's kind of bad, don't you think?

Meia

So why is the investigation team always The Fool.

It's a modern persona thing. The group of friends being together for a common goal is always represented by the Fool, since the MC is always the Fool arcana, and you can look at this as the "Fool's Journey". It's just a barometer to let you know how far along in the game you are.

In Persona 3, SEES itself was The Fool too.

Tamanon

Banned
So why is the investigation team always The Fool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fool_(Tarot_card)

In many esoteric systems of interpretation, the Fool is usually interpreted as the protagonist of a story, and the Major Arcana is the path the Fool takes through the great mysteries of life and the main human archetypes. This path is known traditionally in Tarot as the Fool's Journey, and is frequently used to introduce the meaning of Major Arcana cards to beginners.[6]

At least that's what it looks like.

PK Gaming

This, coupled with a totally new VA for Naoto, also made the second half kind of shit.

Hey, if they're going to be doing a new anime for seemingly no reason anyway, they may as well fix the bad things.

I disagree. Mary Elizabeth Winstead actually sounds like a young man and she wasn't completely awful at conveying emotion.

I mean, M.E.W wasn't great at voicing Naoto (they're both miles worse than Romi Paku) but M.E.W gets the edge for at least attempting to capture Naoto's concept.

kewlmyc

I disagree. Mary Elizabeth Winstead actually sounds like a young man and she wasn't completely awful at conveying emotion.

I mean, M.E.W wasn't great at voicing Naoto (they're both miles worse than Romi Paku) but M.E.W gets the edge for at least attempting to capture Naoto's concept.

Agreed completely. I actually prefer her as Naoto since she's more convincing as a
girl trying to seem as a boy
(does this even require spoiler quotes at this point?)

Sophia

I tried a search there, but I couldn't find an unboxing. I'm not sure if typing what I want in english will mess with the results or not.

I'm not sure what you'd type specifically for an unboxing video, but "劇場版「ペルソナ3」" is the name of the movie series in Japanese.

I think you meant Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, and not the Scott Pilgrim actor. :p

And I'd have to disagree, because McGlynn sounded totally inappropriate for the character, and her performance was pretty phoned in.

Meia

I still say there are moments where Naoto's actual voice comes through when she gets upset/agitated, or when she talks about her ideal of being a detective. The anime version, while having a similar scene, loses most of the impact that this doesn't happen.

Well, that's my opinion anyway. I like the a VA, but if you can't capture subtle things about the character, you shouldn't be said character. It's probably more of a strike against the VA direction though.

PK Gaming

I'm not sure what you'd type specifically for an unboxing video, but "(劇場版「ペルソナ3" is the name of the movie series in Japanese.

I think you meant Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, and not the Scott Pilgrim actor. :p

And I'd have to disagree, because McGlynn sounded totally inappropriate for the character, and her performance was pretty phoned in.

SHOOT

Like I said earlier, I don't think McGlynn was particularly great at voicing Naoto, but I think she was a good deal better than the P4 VA. She was pretty good at sounding androgynous for one, and she didn't come across as contrived/artificial as the original VA. Any scene that involved emotion fell flat on its face because of the VAs complete and utter lack of inflection.
The hospital scene where she's crying over Nanako's death stands out. Like nails on a chalkboard
All of her battle quotes ("ALL YOURS" and "Our moment has arrived! Let's go!") sounded awful for similar reasons.

Voice acting is all about conveying a message in a natural sounding way. Naoto's P4 VA doesn't convey (Naoto) like her VAs do.

Sophia

SHOOT

Like I said earlier, I don't think McGlynn was particularly great at voicing Naoto, but I think she was a good deal better than the P4 VA. She was pretty good at sounding androgynous for one, and she didn't come across as contrived/artificial as the original VA. Any scene that involved emotion fell flat on its face because of the VAs complete and utter lack of inflection.
The hospital scene where she's crying over Nanako's death stands out. Like nails on a chalkboard
All of her battle quotes ("ALL YOURS" and "Our moment has arrived! Let's go!") sounded awful for similar reasons.

Voice acting is all about conveying a message in a natural sounding way. Naoto's P4 VA doesn't convey (Naoto) like her VAs do.

She wasn't just not particularly great at voicing Naoto, she was downright awful. It's especially apparent at the start of episode 15, where she sounds completely out of character. McGlynn's performance was completely phoned in and she almost never has the right tone or pitch for the scene.

I don't give two shits about the androgynous part if the performance is going to be that awful and dry sounding. I'll take the performance of the anonymous actor from the game any day.

Worst part is I know McGlynn isn't a bad actor, so I can't lay the blame at her feet.

PK Gaming

She wasn't just not particularly great at voicing Naoto, she was downright awful. It's especially apparent at the start of episode 15, where she sounds completely out of character. McGlynn's performance was completely phoned in and she almost never has the right tone or pitch for the scene.

I don't give two shits about the androgynous part if the performance is going to be that awful and dry sounding. I'll take the performance of the anonymous actor from the game any day.

I thought she sounded okay, apart from 1-2 scenes.

Sophia

I thought she sounded okay, apart from 1-2 scenes.

It was unquestionably phoned in in almost every step. There's also the issue of the fact that her voice is too deep. Even Romi Park's original voice acting for Naoto is higher than that too. The anime dub in contrast almost makes her sound like a villain at times with some of the delivery. That's definitely not intentional.

PK Gaming

It was unquestionably phoned in in almost every step. There's also the issue of the fact that her voice is too deep. Even Romi Park's original voice acting for Naoto is higher than that too. The anime dub in contrast almost makes her sound like a villain at times with some of the delivery. That's definitely not intentional.

Well it's not unquestionable if I didn't think it was phoned in!

SHEESH :x

pan-hime

the kujis are here
VlSJ5O4.jpg

1/8th scale Aigis -summer dress ver.-

iWZ5geP.jpg

1/8th scale Shinjiro and Koromaru figure set

4YuHyox.jpg

Persona Compendium alarm clock

AcvxxCh.jpg

Iwatodai ramen bowl

AmooqZ4.jpg

Clearfile sets

YDA5Aig.jpg

keychain straps

idxUv6S.jpg

chibi figure set

QJfePn5.jpg

1/8 scale Aigis -summer dress ver.- ~ANOTHER ver. figure

and
BnmsoXbCYAAbuUB.jpg:large

"Everyone, let us go to the Family Mart."

I've been reppin' my waifu since last Wednesday, and will likely continue to rep her until Real Pic July.

My superpower is the inability to feel shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom