• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

accurate

what's going on is probably that soejima is drawing these in his lunch break while he's working on persona 5!

Probably not that far from the truth, tbh. P5 is the priority in all ways, and a game that Soejima presumably has a lot more sway over. They're probably in crunch right now, so he'll be getting these things out of the way ASAP. And Ultimax requires a lot more work from Soejima than P4D or PQ, so that's probably why the lower quality here isn't seen in either of those games.

Style

Banned
SeRjbj3.png

this week's character is................LABBY-CHAN!
and SHADOW Labrys, Mitsuru, and Akihiko are added.

also AtlusTSU interview with Meguro and Yumi Kawamura. sadly not good enough to translate it, but seems interesting.

(I'M FUCKING DYING AT SHO'S PORTRAIT)

So there is going to be three versions of Labrys in this one...
Human designs in Nocturne aren't that great. How are these designs "generic animu" anyway?

SMTIV-K.jpg

Not even the main characters look like generic anime.

Kurt Russell!?

Dantis

I know there was some talk about SMT IV's presentation being lacking, and I 100% agree. It's pretty ridiculous that a game that came out 8 years prior and consists primarily
entirely
of rectangular hallways looks so much better. I especially like the stylized look of the human characters in Nocturne, looks way better than generic animu portrait #1000.

Wut.

As far as anime goes, Doi's art is pretty realistically proportioned. If other anime looked like that, I'd have far fewer problems with it.

Setsu00

Probably not that far from the truth, tbh. P5 is the priority in all ways, and a game that Soejima presumably has a lot more sway over. They're probably in crunch right now, so he'll be getting these things out of the way ASAP. And Ultimax requires a lot more work from Soejima than P4D or PQ, so that's probably why the lower quality here isn't seen in either of those games.

Actually, I'm not even sure how much influence Soejima has on P4D... The P4D website lists him as "Original Character Designer", which has quite interesting implications.

Dantis

Actually, I'm not even sure how much influence Soejima has on P4D... The P4D website lists him as "Original Character Designer", which has quite interesting implications.

I think his work on P4D will be the same as Arena: Character designs and character renders, and that's it.

Jintor

If his role in P5 is near his role in P4, from what I understand re the artbook, he'll have been working on the entire look and feel of the game in full, which is a pretty heavy load all things considered.

Persona 4 Ultimax Wtf Edition

Rat On Crack
UeosKwA.png

Widemouth Junpei
UT1vfTk.png

Pedo Sho
R8UAcjY.png

Im actually starting to wonder whether Persona 5's artwork will be like this?

I actually can not wait to see what Ken looks like.

Jintor

Rise on crack is okay since as an idol naturally she'd be on crack 24/7

i read about it on the internet so it must be true

Dantis

If his role in P5 is near his role in P4, from what I understand re the artbook, he'll have been working on the entire look and feel of the game in full, which is a pretty heavy load all things considered.

Yup. It was the same in P3 too.

Persona 4 Ultimax

Rat On Crack
UeosKwA.png

Widemouth Junpei
UT1vfTk.png

Pedo Sho
R8UAcjY.png

Im actually starting to wonder whether Persona 5's artwork will be like this?

I actually can not wait to see what Ken looks like.
Unlikely. Arena's art was always stylised differently from Soejima's main work. I think it's meant to look more arcadey.

Rise on crack is okay since as an idol naturally she'd be on crack 24/7

i read about it on the internet so it must be true

:p

Unlikely. Arena's art was always stylised differently from Soejima's main work. I think it's meant to look more arcadey.

Hopefully. Then again, i always did think some of the artwork in P3 looked kinda weird. Hopefully, we'll see a glimpse of P5 next month, or at TGS

cj_iwakura

SMT3 is actually the oddball out as far as aesthetics and design go, where as SMT IV (and for that matter Strange Journey) have a lot more in common with the classic SMT games. Lots of people started with SMT3 as their first mainline game, so it can be a bit of a turnoff.

Some people have legitimate and not so legitimate grievances with the presentation too. There's a lot of phenomenal artwork that goes underused thanks to some plot decisions.

I want to know who did THIS art:

+1 for vanilla Chie. She was a TV actress, and new to the VA game. It was nice hearing fresh talent.

Nothing against Fitzgerald, I just prefer the OG. People were griping about how the new voice wasn't as 'sugary' as the JP voice at first then wound up loving her.

Seriously, how in the world can people not like Erin Fitzgerald Chie.
Haven't heard Tracey Rooney, but this just sounds so right.

I like both. In fact I didn't know Chie's old voice was hated by people up until I played Golden and looked for opinions of the voice.
The shade of red is totally different. He looks like Ronald McDonald.

ronald-mcdonald-profile.jpg

Not surprising, Soejima seems to be fond of the Ronald McDonald look

Also I found another Teddie just now, the coronita beer in the image has a teddie logo lol

BTW The ending part of the game was longer than expected, I still need to finish.

Oh you mean this. Yeah I love the little stuff they put into Catherine.

Yeah, Teddie is all over the place in the game. I thought easter eggs had to be one or two things here and there, but Teddie in this game is like trying to find hidden Mickey's in Disneyland lol Not that I mind, I love trying to find them.
Also seems Teddie has taken merchandise in that world by storm!

Dantis

I've only just realised what you mean by this. You're saying that the P4D costume designs might not be Soejima, right?

It's possible, I guess. We might be able to tell later on. Right now I don't think we can say either way.

The character renders are definitely Soejima though.

Best week

I hate you

At what point did you decide that you love Labrys? Because this definitely hasn't been 'a thing' for that long.

I've only just realised what you mean by this. You're saying that the P4D costume designs might not be Soejima, right?

It's possible, I guess. We might be able to tell later on. Right now I don't think we can say either way.

They should hire Yoshiyuki Sadamoto to do them, his cover work for Mitchie M's album is fantastic!

tumblr_n5ma8wexEq1t46pjso1_500.jpg

:3

I would actually like to see something other than Soejima, too much Soejima is not good :(

Dantis

They should hire Yoshiyuki Sadamoto to do them, his cover work for Mitchie M's album is fantastic!

:3

I would actually like to see something other than Soejima, too much Soejima is not good :(

If it's not Soejima designing the outfits, I'd assume it's Dingo. But for now, probably best to assume that it is Soejima.

Also there's no such thing as too much Soejima.

At what point did you decide that you love Labrys? Because this definitely hasn't been 'a thing' for that long.

When she became my main in P4A. In the irc a few days ago, we talked about fighting game charcters that just click with you, Labrys was this with me. I can also assure you that this isn't that new :p

Setsu00

Yep.

Are you really?

Maybe, but it's not that old either!

Depends how you mean by old, the switch from Mitsuru to Labrys as my main was under a year ago at most. I used to be one of the people pre release that was pissed they put in ANOTHER robot girl (with a terrible design to boot) in the game. Man did I flip big time on Labrys. One of the only characters in this series I flipped on as hard would be Persona 1's Reiji Kido.

Are you really?

Sadly.

Depends how you mean by old, the switch from Mitsuru to Labrys as my main was under a year ago at most. I used to be one of the people pre release that was pissed they put in ANOTHER robot girl (with a terrible design to boot) in the game. Man did I flip big time on Labrys. One of the only characters in this series I flipped on as hard would be Persona 1's Reiji Kido.

I love, LOVE her VA.

When Kawamura was around 20, she was a guest singer at a livehouse in Shibuya and happened to meet someone from Atlus. She was first involved in Jantei Monogatari 2 for the PC Engine, and later handled "vocal direction and chorus" for DDS2. It was through DDS2 that Meguro discovered her talent and offered her to join in the production of P3.

Kawamura doesn't rehearse much before a performance, while Meguro seems gentle, but is really sadistic to his singers. Like when she was singing Kimi no Kioku (P3 ending theme), it was really tough due to the high pitch and difficult breathing (you know, when the line is so long you don't have time to take a breath for the next one), and Meguro said "You wouldn't be able to sing this even if it was live!"

Kimi no Kioku and Burn My Dread were voted first and third most popular songs respectively.

And finally they talk a little about her new CD, YUMITAMA, which seems to be a Best Of album of her songs.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Labrysの訛りってやっぱ翻訳せにくいんやけど、頑張って字幕を書いてみせた!関西弁を聞くのがめっちゃ簡単やけど、それに当たる表現を自然な英語で書くなんて・・・もうできへんやわ!

Labrysの訛りってやっぱ翻訳せにくいんやけど、頑張って字幕を書いてみせた!関西弁を聞くのがめっちゃ簡単やけど、それに当たる表現を自然な英語で書くなんて・・・もうできへんやわ!

I tried playing P4A in Japanese, and I think I slightly dislike her because I had a lot of trouble understanding her thanks to that accent.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
I tried playing P4A in Japanese, and I think I slightly dislike her because I had a lot of trouble understanding her thanks to that accent.

I basically starting getting fluent in Japanese while living near Osaka, so Kansai-ben has something of a special place in my heart, although I'm definitely sympathetic to non-natives losing their minds over it. Definitely its own flavor of Japanese that takes some getting used to, especially since it's almost never formally taught in classes.

Well, he hasn't actually done that much art since Catherine. Do you mean that you'd rather other artists were working on the spinoff games?

Whenever I see his art I automatically think of P3+4. Though with the spin-off games that's not a big deal but I'm hoping that when we finally get to see some P5 artwork I don't get that same feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom