• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mere thought of getting a fully explorable town in Persona 5 gets me hyped. I don't think it's going to happen, though...

Anyway, I believe that P5 will look like Catherine. I love the Soejima portraits, but I can see why it makes sense to get rid of them.
Oh yeah, I would love a full city (or at least a big neibourghood) but it's nearly impossible for them to do. Thats why I don't mind them going the map route.

Catherine also happens to be shorter than a Persona game. I really doubt we will get Catherine style scenes.

Hom much time have they been working in Persona 5? I think Catherine was done as a test for those type of scens and presentations, and thats why it's a much smaller game.

Setsu00

Development on Catherine started during the final stages of polishing Persona 4, which means it took them roughly three years to put the game together.

Persona 5 was aparently first mentioned to be in development in August 2010, but I would assume that this was only pre-production as the core team would be busy with Catherine. Considering that Hashino seems to have a lot of influence over this title (unlike P4G, P4U and the other spin-offs), I guess that actual development with a larger team began once Catherine was released in early 2011.

However, that doesn't factor in the time they needed for the new engine and figuring out the world and its plot.

Based on this, I believe that Persona 5's development started somewhere between late 2011 and early 2012.

Development on Catherine started during the final stages of polishing Persona 4, which means it took them roughly three years to put the game together.

Persona 5 was aparently first mentioned to be in development in August 2010, but I would assume that this was only pre-production as the core team would be busy with Catherine. Considering that Hashino seems to have a lot of influence over this title (unlike P4G, P4U and the other spin-offs), I guess that actual development with a larger team began once Catherine was released in early 2011.

However, that doesn't factor in the time they needed for the new engine and figuring out the world and its plot.

Based on this, I believe that Persona 5's development started somewhere between late 2011 and early 2012.

The engine is clearly the one used in Catherine. Im pretty sure Hashino was already world/story building with a small team, that I suppose it included Soejima, at the beggining of the project, just after Catherine was finished. Then more people would start wornking on the main game getting the project on full steam by the middle-end of 2011. 4 years of development is a lot, and they already have a lot of work done thanks to Catherine. I don't see how that type of scenes can be accomplished.

Also you can see how some animations in the Catherine scenes throw the lip sync out of the window in a big way, which would make it easy for those kind of expressions to be used during no voiced conversations (something that Persona needs to not make it so expensive).

So I don't see how the Catherine presentation couldn't be used in a bigger game without so much voice acting. Don't forget they are canned animations just like in Persona 4 3d models but with facial expressions added.

Dantis

I agree with all of this.

The engine is clearly the one used in Catherine. Im pretty sure Hashino was already world/story building with a small team, that I suppose it included Soejima, at the beggining of the project, just after Catherine was finished. Then more people would start wornking on the main game getting the project on full steam by the middle-end of 2011. 4 years of development is a lot, and they already have a lot of work done thanks to Catherine. I don't see how that type of scenes can be accomplished.

Also you can see how some animations in the Catherine scenes throw the lip sync out of the window in a big way, which would make it easy for those kind of expressions to be used during no voiced conversations (something that Persona needs to not make it so expensive).

So I don't see how the Catherine presentation couldn't be used in a bigger game without so much voice acting. Don't forget they are canned animations just like in Persona 4 3d models but with facial expressions added.
It's a new engine. Already confirmed.

Also, Catherine had actual factual bespoke cutscenes. The only times it reused animations were for things like when you're in the Stray Sheep.

PK Gaming

Speaking of Catherine, what were your favorite character designs?

CathrineBLOG2--article_image.jpg

images

Erica was just va-va-voom

I agree with all of this.

It's a new engine. Already confirmed.

Also, Catherine had actual factual bespoke cutscenes. The only times it reused animations were for things like when you're in the Stray Sheep.

It's a new engine? What a strange thing to do, I thought the did the intelligent thing and did the Catherine one to test it for a bigger game.
And yeah I was talking about the stray sheep, those are similar to any social link in persona. Im pretty sure that would be the type of animations they would use for non voiced scenes.

Vincent (best), Erica, Catherine and Stan Lee. I also liked Orlando's one. The secondary NPC's with a more western anime flair (big noses and all that) were also pretty cool, remind me of western characters done by Naoki Urasawa.

HeelPower

oh NOOOO P4 death spoiler
Morooka died so unexpectedly

I was really looking forward to social link with him and finding out about his character.Just when he was getting so interesting he had to go :((((

Also is Daisuke
gay
or not ?

Love Catherine's design. She had a very youthful and seductive look about her, which made it perfect for the story.

6a00d83451b3d069e20133f46067e4970b-800wi

I consider Orlando the "Junpei" of Catherine. He's definitely da man.

catherine_orlando_thumb.jpg

Also loved Vincent. He just looks odd, in a good way. It was also nice to see a video game portray a normal 30+ year old in such as charming manner.

1726540-vincentpic.png

I do love this game. Atlus make a sequel :)

Dantis

Vincent, Orlando and Johnny, for sure. Catherine's... uh... 'alternate' outfit is also very cool.

I actually liked Katherine's design more how it is in the artbook, where she's more stylish and younger looking.

1726540-vincentpic.png

I do love this game. Atlus make a sequel :)

That picture is so Soejima-esque, haha. It's kind of interesting how he's one of the only anime artists whose art is carried across into 3D. Even when you think of someone well known like Nomura, his art is redesigned to fit a different aesthetic. The only other person I can think of where this isn't the case (off the top of my head, anyway) is with the Atelier games.

CrazyDude

I wonder where you are going to live for Persona 5.

Persona 3 had dorm.

Persona 4 Uncle's home.

Persona 5 living alone or with parents?

I have never played Catherine.

If you loved Persona 3 and 4, I STRONGLY recommend you play Catherine. I initially didnt pay any attention to it as I thought it was just a typical anime perv game. However, once i found out it was made by the Persona guys, i rushed out and purchased it instantly. Its one of the best games of the last generation.

SHAME ON YOU FOR NOT PLAYING CATHERINE :p

Me neither, nor Persona 4 Arena, because money.

Double shame on you.

Setsu00

That picture is so Soejima-esque, haha. It's kind of interesting how he's one of the only anime artists whose art is carried across into 3D. Even when you think of someone well known like Nomura, his art is redesigned to fit a different aesthetic. The only other person I can think of where this isn't the case (off the top of my head, anyway) is with the Atelier games.

That's because Final Fantasy aims for a rather realistic look (that's still obviously influenced by anime). The characters in Kingdom Hearts are a lot closer to their Nomura artwork.

Levito

Banned
Blows my mind to think that Catherine is nearly three years old, where has the time gone...

Katherine was my favorite design from Catherine though!

FluxWaveZ

Development timeline was stated by Hashino himself.

Famitsu interview, Augusut 31, 2011:
producer Katsura Hashino said that preliminary development for Persona 5 (which he referred to as "the next numbered title") is nearly complete. From here, the staff will advance into the actual development process.
This means that preliminary development (i.e. establishing concept designs, artwork, etc.; creating a custom engine...) had been completed by late 2011, early 2012. Which means that actual development on Persona 5 started early 2012, mid-2012. So Persona 5 has been in active development for approximately 2 years (nearly 3 years when it comes out), while total development time (incorporating pre-development) will be about 4-5 years.

Dengeki PlayStation interview, March 24, 2010:
Persona 5′s development was confirmed by Hashino in a Dengeki PlayStation interview on March 24, 2010. It was not (and has not) been officially announced, however Hashino stated that it was happening and that he wanted to add elements in Persona 5 that is to be expected of the series as well as change things within those limitations.

It's a new engine? What a strange thing to do, I thought the did the intelligent thing and did the Catherine one to test it for a bigger game.

I don't see how their choice of using a game engine other than Gamebryo is not smart. Who knows how much that engine restricted them in terms of creative freedoms, how much they adapted it to fit their goals or how appropriate it would fit the development of a very different game in Persona 5?

Hashino shared one technical bit about P5. For Catherine, Team Persona made use of a third party engine. They've since completed work on their own engine. With this new internal engine, Hashino believes that converting their ideas into game form will go considerably smooth.

It's not like they decided to create their own engine for kicks. They did so because they believed it would be the best thing for Persona 5.

Dantis

So if P-Studio wasn't behind it, and all you had left was the gameplay, would you have still liked it?

The gameplay just hurt the experience for me.

I absolutely would have still liked, it, though the art, story and music are what elevate my opinion to what it is now.

I loved the gameplay. Really ingeniously made. It's the best puzzle game I've played.

kewlmyc

I absolutely would have still liked, it, though the art, story and music are what elevate my opinion to what it is now.

I loved the gameplay. Really ingeniously made. It's the best puzzle game I've played.

Hmm. Different strokes for different blokes I guess.

hao chi

Catherine's gameplay constantly surprised me with the variety in the stages, as well as all the techniques that are at the player's disposal. All in all I thought it was a pretty enjoyable puzzle game, and the gameplay combined with the rest of the game's qualities helped make it pretty special in my mind.

Akira Toriyama and Dragon Quest.

CorvoSol

Toriyama and anything with Dragon in the title, really. Dragon Quest, Dragon Ball, Blue Dragon. Double Dragon, A Dance With Dragons, Puff the Magic Dragon.

Totally. Every and any thing with Dragon in the title.

Vincent, Catherine, Katherine.

Also, a large part of my joy playing that game came from seeing whatever the new boss was. So I guess those would be included too.

I agree. I didn't want to watch any playthroughs of the game. I wasn't concerned over just story spoilers but also spoilers on how to beat each puzzle. It was part of the fun of the journey.

Development timeline was stated by Hashino himself.

This means that preliminary development (i.e. establishing concept designs, artwork, etc.; creating a custom engine...) had been completed by late 2011, early 2012. Which means that actual development on Persona 5 started early 2012, mid-2012. So Persona 5 has been in active development for approximately 2 years (nearly 3 years when it comes out), while total development time (incorporating pre-development) will be about 4-5 years.

Dengeki PlayStation interview, March 24, 2010:

I don't see how their choice of using a game engine other than Gamebryo is not smart. Who knows how much that engine restricted them in terms of creative freedoms, how much they adapted it to fit their goals or how appropriate it would fit the development of a very different game in Persona 5?

It's not like they decided to create their own engine for kicks. They did so because they believed it would be the best thing for Persona 5.

Ah, so it was not a cutom engine and they had problem with it. Then is understandable they had wanted to do their own. I hope it's all good for P5, becuase doing and engine takes awys precious time for making the game.
Thanks for the info.

The Friendliness of Persona 4:
http://youtu.be/muSykxwNZXg

Edited because I dind't understand.

Dantis

The Friendliness of Persona 4:
http://youtu.be/muSykxwNZXg

This is a rather charming video, not in small part because of your amazing Scottish accent. I always enjoy hearing about why people were drawn into Persona.

Good stuff!

In terms of your problems with the game's scope, it's less that they wanted to make it on the cheap, and more that this is all they could afford. Atlus are a pretty low-end studio in terms of budget.

I agree with some of your criticisms, and disagree with others. Did you play the original PS2 release or the extended Vita release? I'm guessing the PS2 release, seeing as you said that you started in 2011?

lol wtf is this?

This is a really awful response to something that someone has made. We're not GameFAQs.

Setsu00

That reminds of that Innocent Sin artwork of the PSP remake... Posting scans of magazine covers is allowed, isn't it?

232i5.jpg

I wish there was a bigger version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom