• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

That reminds of that Innocent Sin artwork of the PSP remake... Posting scans of magazine covers is allowed, isn't it?

232i5.jpg

I wish there was a bigger version.

Woooooah, I never knew Soejima did any more P2 illustrations.

This is a really awful response to something that someone has made. We're not GameFAQs.

It's uh...a video about Persona 4 I made? It doesn't make sense to you?
Im sorry, it was more about not understanding because of the heavy accent :( Bad of me laughing about that because I don't really have a good english accent.
From what I could understand I can agree with some of your criticisms but not with others.
Again im really sorry, but I had a really hard time understanding some of the things you said :(

Im sorry, it was more about not understanding because of the heavy accent :( Bad of me laughing about that because I don't really have a good english accent.
From what I could understand I can agree with some of your criticisms but not with others.
Again im really sorry, but I had a really hard time understanding some of the things you said :(

Ah, okay. No worries. I'm Scottish, I know some people find it a difficult accent to catch if you aren't expecting it.

Ah, okay. No worries. I'm Scottish, I know some people find it a difficult accent to catch if you aren't expecting it.

Still it was bad of me criticising that. As I said, as foreign enlgish speaker, I don't even have a good english accent to begin with.
About Yosuke, just some days ago we talked here about the thing you were saying about him in the video, so now it doesn't surprise me anymore than some people seem to see him in a bad way, I don't feel in the same way though.
Chie and Kanji are also probably my favourite characters, but I don't dislike anyone from the group, something that happened with P3.

Jonnax

The Friendliness of Persona 4:
http://youtu.be/muSykxwNZXg

"Apart from Yosuke, he's filth"
Had me in stiches xD

It's been said by the developers that Naoto was originally a male character, I wonder if that was what they were going for before changing the game.

I completely agree with you when it comes to some of those negative portrayals in the game. I'm not sure if they are standaird Japanese literary tropes or if they are just the kind of thing you see anime/manga. Or even how bulling is considered in Japan.

Unfortunately the Playstation Vita version includes another character which I feel lets the gaame down with a non-existant peronality except for the old "shy girl telling you shut up even though she likes you" anime thing.

PK Gaming

Great video, I found myself agree with most of what you said. Your assessment of Hanako, the ending and the battle system is pretty much spot on.

...Though I can't say I agree with your assessment on Yosuke at all, haha. Upon replaying Persona 4, I noticed that he would occasionally suffers from some inconsistent writing at times (see Shadow confrontation scenes VS joke scenes), and he seemed to deteriorate as a character as the game went along. A lot of the games comedy was made at the expense of his character, which was unfortunate. But taken as a whole, Yosuke was a dedicated, reliable, confident, and level-headed person; he spearheaded the murder investigation. Of course, the underside to that was that he was irritable, tactless, rude, and slightly homophobic. But I liked him in spite of his flaws. He was relatable, and a pretty accurate portrayal of a teenage boy overall (flaws and all).

Re: Casual Sexism

Have you finished Ai's social link? It provides awesome commentary on the impossible double standard that women are held up to. (s.link spoilers)
She was ridiculed when she was fat and ugly, and called a bitch/ice queen when she tried to become the "ideal" girl.
Furthermore, her romantic path that manages to avoid feeling like a reward.
If you try to date her when she's confused and emotionally vulnerable, it blows up in your face and you can't date her. Ever. It was pretty cool.

Persona 4 had some problematic approaches to gender, but I think it was decent, for the most part. Ai Ebihara is exemplified the best of aspects of it.

One more thing:

You pointed out that Chie's tomboy inclinations caused her to be mocked, but I don't recall that ever happening in the game. In fact, she was actually pretty popular at Yaso, and had more than her fair share of admirers (Kou Ichijou being one). I don't think Yosuke has ever called her out for being a tomboy either, and their love-hate relationship had less to do with Chie's appearance and lifestyle, and more to do with how their personalities clashed.

I think you would have really enjoyed Persona 4 Golden. The extra content really adds a lot to the game, and it sounds like you wanted to visit more areas (Golden lets you visit 2 new areas, and adds a bunch of new scenarios like the Ski/Beach trip). Plus i'm sure you wanted to get get more of the main cast (via new social links and what not).

I really liked this video and agree with you on a lot of points. Especially your hatred of Yosuke. Haha I don't think I hated him as much as you do, but he is most definitely a twat at times.

The game definitely suffers from some gender issues, but as you said, a lot of Japanese works (honestly most works of fiction) often have a lot of gender role bullshit that drags them down especially when romance is involved. There was one particularly awful line that really stuck out to me when you (late game)
save Naoto and Yukiko says that no wonder she couldn't fight off her attacker, she's a girl!

As for Kanji, I think canonically he's supposed to be straight (at the very least he likes girls) but his sexuality is never revealed for comedy purposes.... Y'know which is still pretty awful.

If Persona 5 is really about dealing with society's pressures, they could really take a step forward and tackle some of the things P4 only briefly touched on or fumbled.

edit: Well shit, now I really want to do a second cycle playthrough of P4 following a full S. Link guide. Summer long project here we go!

PK Gaming

So in addition to playing through vanilla P4, I decided to play through P3FES as well. Came across this random conversation:

Yukari: My Persona seems to be good at healing, using skills like Dia.
I'm not wearing a nurse's uniform, but you can come to me if ya need healing!
Junpei: Yeah, right... A nurse's uniform... (laugh)
Yukari: What, is that funny?
Junpei: You need to be hot to pull off a nurse's uniform and you're definitely -- (cough) NOT.

I love these 2 characters to death

Sophia

I don't think the Danganronpa style realy fits any of the Persona characters. Pretty extreme difference in the art. That said, those are pretty good, especially the Fuuka one.

Acid08

Banned
Also I'm pretty sure I know which sprites were used just from their poses.

Catsuit=Kyoko
Fsteak=Hina
Fuuka-Bot=Chihiro
Bird In A Cage=Sayaka

Only one I'm not sure of is Non Canon. I think Hina also?

kewlmyc

I don't think the Danganronpa style realy fits any of the Persona characters. Pretty extreme difference in the art. That said, those are pretty good, especially the Fuuka one.

Agreed. They just don't seem to fit all that well. Big fan of both art styles though.

Also the sloppy .png rips are bothering me. You can still see parts of the white background.

Squire

Banned
PK could attest to it, but from what I've seen, the DR art style really comes into it's own with DR2. That cast is slick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom